carat
color
clarity

New York

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooooo, surprise :)
Ahh ok! Does he like one better for her? The one we like is more square. Square cushions tend to have better light return because they are more symmetrical. But if she wants an elongated stone, she might like the other one. What is the price difference between them?

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Many women and men prior to getting engaged are clueless as to prices of diamonds. It’s entirely possible she didn’t realize the cost. She may have compromised on size had she known.She may have thought that everything outside Tiffany’s/Cartier/Harry Winston etc is very cheap. To be honest I’m somewhat surprised that you can get a 2 ct diamond so I learn a new thing every day!

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
3E840BE5-8242-48AD-8841-64CB63BE00B8.jpeg 34C71702-06D8-432A-AD16-9BA13239B206.png D38618BE-3EED-4BD1-AC14-FB42F840557D.jpeg 8501EAF0-37E5-4A99-9156-D5C016C9A7FC.png Received aset from stones recomended by
Pricescopers a few pages ago. Any of these far superior to the two we are currently evaluating?

Attachments

• A0433BE6-30AD-498D-99AB-3871184733EC.jpeg
    A0433BE6-30AD-498D-99AB-3871184733EC.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
I had that same thought but we don't know the backstory and it's not necessarily fair to the op to speculate.

I like the 2.01 as well, the aspect ratio is more visually pleasing imho

Many women and men prior to getting engaged are clueless as to prices of diamonds. It’s entirely possible she didn’t realize the cost. She may have compromised on size had she known.She may have thought that everything outside Tiffany’s/Cartier/Harry Winston etc is very cheap. To be honest I’m somewhat surprised that you can get a 2 ct diamond so I learn a new thing every day!

I think this is exactly what happened. My son and my 2 nephews girlfriends follow Instagram posts and see the sparkling diamonds without regard to cost. He was going by pics tagged by his GF to him on 2ct. cushions and originally he had no idea of costs, remember he told me his initial budget was 5K and he felt that would be plenty :) :) :) :). So i wanted to make sure he got a great stone at a great cost and you guys helped so much.

Don't worry too much about them , Yes they have student loans and starting out early in their career. But they have income potential Boy- MD , Girl- JD :) lol

How many times have you said this now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right, just wanted to clarify :)

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
He's still a student and she's insisting on a 2ct stone?

I'm also a little confused about that. 10-12k for a stone alone is a TON of $$. If he can't comfortably afford that much, he and his soon to be wife need to have an honest convo.

Honestly i don't know how hes paying for the ring at this time. I'm guessing financing. But its all relative right whats another 10-15K when you have 200K in student loans :) small percentage of your debt burden

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
No idea what his salary looks like but if she is a JD with a big law gig, she starts at $190k per year--not including bonus. I can see why 2ct is desired. Whether it's wise is, of course, a matter of opinion. :lol: but I doubt 2ct will stand out as particularly large in their social group.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
No idea what his salary looks like but if she is a JD with a big law gig, she starts at $190k per year--not including bonus. I can see why 2ct is desired. Whether it's wise is, of course, a matter of opinion. :lol: but I doubt 2ct will stand out as particularly large in their social group.
Wish... No :(

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Bump, still shopping would anyone highly recommend either of the two above? Over the 2 we were currently looking at in the video and on the previous page. The 2 on this page were recomended by pricescopers

And what if the 2.01 and 2.2 in the picture were the same price ? Well they’re not but really close would
Anyone make the jump ?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be new cushions have excellent ASETS for a cushion. I really like the ASET of the 2.01 J VS2, but it is a J and it is likely to show more color. The inclusion is also right on the table and even thought. VS2, it might not be eye-clean.

The 2.03 SI1 is also well cut. There is a a little bit of leakage, but not alarming in my view. This stone is comparable to the 2.01 SI1 from IDJ. It looks to be very eye-clean for an SI1.

I would ask Yekutiel to see if these stones are local and he can likely bring them in for your son to see. If they are abroad, he will have to order them from JA.

How do the new stones compare price-wise to the cushions he is looking at?

Lastly, between the two IDJ cushions, the 2.01 I SI1 is the better performer. You can probably also see that in the video.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @cxr133, I started responding last night and got distracted.

I saw the IDJ video and would agree that 2.01 has the best fire and the one I'd choose from those two stones. Also, the corners and overall shape of that stone is more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Lastly, I didn't feel there was a significant size difference between the two stones to justify the cost and/or performance difference you'd lose by going to the bigger stone.

If you can get IDJ to call in the JA stones for a side by side comparison to the 2.01 IDJ stone I think that would be a good idea for peace of mind.

Below is a side by side comparison of the ASET's. IMO, the 2.01 IDJ and 2.01 J from JA is very similar; however, I think the 2.01 J ASET is slightly worse as it has some leakage on the right edge. That may create a slight dead spot in the stone when you view them side by side, assuming you get that opportunity.

To me, the JA 2.03 ASET appears to be in between the IDJ 2.20 and JA 2.01 J. Without nit picking it, I think the IDJ 2.01 will be superior.

Some non-performance observations:
  • The IDJ 2.01 I offers a color bump over the JA 2.01 J.
  • IDJ 2.01 I has been confirmed to be eye clean.
  • The JA 2.01 J is VS2 which is good, but it has a black crystal on the table, which I'm hoping but don't know is okay. Despite SI1 clarity, this might be a win for the IDJ 2.01.
  • Despite being similar carat size, the ASET of the JA 2.03 looks smaller and more square than all 3 of the others who appear more rectangular. Could just be a visual thing. Not sure.
Final thoughts: I'd probably stick with the IDJ 2.01 from what we've seen thus far. Although I am curious about the princess cut that @rockysalamander found for you at GoG. It's a different look obviously, but may have better performance.

Inkedcomparison_LI.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mention income potential. Maybe the best route to go is find a vendor with an easy upgrade policy and "grow" that diamond with upgrades as their debt decreases and income increases.

Are they open to upgrading?

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Sorry @cxr133, I started responding last night and got distracted.

I saw the IDJ video and would agree that 2.01 has the best fire and the one I'd choose from those two stones. Also, the corners and overall shape of that stone is more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Lastly, I didn't feel there was a significant size difference between the two stones to justify the cost and/or performance difference you'd lose by going to the bigger stone.

If you can get IDJ to call in the JA stones for a side by side comparison to the 2.01 IDJ stone I think that would be a good idea for peace of mind.

Below is a side by side comparison of the ASET's. IMO, the 2.01 IDJ and 2.01 J from JA is very similar; however, I think the 2.01 J ASET is slightly worse as it has some leakage on the right edge. That may create a slight dead spot in the stone when you view them side by side, assuming you get that opportunity.

To me, the JA 2.03 ASET appears to be in between the IDJ 2.20 and JA 2.01 J. Without nit picking it, I think the IDJ 2.01 will be superior.

Some non-performance observations:
  • The IDJ 2.01 I offers a color bump over the JA 2.01 J.
  • IDJ 2.01 I has been confirmed to be eye clean.
  • The JA 2.01 J is VS2 which is good, but it has a black crystal on the table, which I'm hoping but don't know is okay. Despite SI1 clarity, this might be a win for the IDJ 2.01.
  • Despite being similar carat size, the ASET of the JA 2.03 looks smaller and more square than all 3 of the others who appear more rectangular. Could just be a visual thing. Not sure.
Final thoughts: I'd probably stick with the IDJ 2.01 from what we've seen thus far. Although I am curious about the princess cut that @rockysalamander found for you at GoG. It's a different look obviously, but may have better performance.

Inkedcomparison_LI.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I think after consideration this is where he’s leaning

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
You mention income potential. Maybe the best route to go is find a vendor with an easy upgrade policy and "grow" that diamond with upgrades as their debt decreases and income increases.

Are they open to upgrading?

Who knows .... he woke up Monday morning talking about he was going to go get a ring. I have been lecturing for over two years on when he was planning on getting engaged

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful @cxr133! Congratulations to them! Which stone did he end up choosing?

Chlo

Rough_Rock
I hope you are happily married! I'm also going to propose to my girlfriend. So far, I only know where to celebrate the honeymoon. Chose New York, found many ideas on www.westgateresorts.com. I also need help with choosing a ring. I know that she likes minimalism. There are several options in mind, but what if she doesn't like it? I like your ring, but I think my girlfriend will like the smaller stone better. I am considering different options. That she wants to visit New York is for sure, but I don't know how to choose a ring. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results