shape
carat
color
clarity

New York

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Any reputable dealers or salespeople in new York? for a high quality ring.

my son has decided to take the plunge and is going looking for a rings today. He has no knowledge.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thank you lovedogs!!
cxr- crucial info for your son.....please be VERY careful shopping the booths on 47th st.
There are some very reputable sellers- however they are in the minority.
Every day we hear horror stories of uninitiated folks getting jerked around......

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Any reputable dealers or salespeople in new York? for a high quality ring.

my son has decided to take the plunge and is going looking for a rings today. He has no knowledge.
LOl im in cali been talking to him over text. just gave him sticker shock

she wants 2.5 princess or cushion cut with Halo. he thought 5or 6 K I just told him more like 25 K

His GF future Fiancee is sending him to Lauren B I guess.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
can you guys recommend a good 2 carat princess or cushion cut?

close to 10K?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you guys recommend a good 2 carat princess or cushion cut?

close to 10K?

I think your son needs to slow way down. He doesn't sound informed enough to make a good purchase unless he ONLY goes to the places recommended. If he goes to random places he is going to get 100% screwed over. He will be hard pressed to find 2ct for 10k. I'm not a fancy cut expert, but that's what diamonds by lauren excels at. Lauren B is very overpriced IMHO.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
I think your son needs to slow way down. He doesn't sound informed enough to make a good purchase unless he ONLY goes to the places recommended. If he goes to random places he is going to get 100% screwed over. He will be hard pressed to find 2ct for 10k. I'm not a fancy cut expert, but that's what diamonds by lauren excels at. Lauren B is very overpriced IMHO.

Thanks you screen shotted this for him. I have been lurking for awhile HDer found his 2ct for about 10K was that a unicorn?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he wants an amazing stone on a tight budget, go to ID jewelry. They are amazing. Work with Yeukitel (I can't spell his name), and tell him that he wants pricescope quality. If anyone can find what he wants and not gauge him or be dishonest, it's IDJ.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Here are some options from WF (their ACA line). This is the best of the best in terms of princess cuts, but he won't get 2ct for 10K, and that doesn't include setting. Does his GF honestly not have a preference between princess and cushion? Those are very different looks IMHO.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3954442.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3986315.htm

Thanks will update as I get more info will try to get it narrowed down.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks you screen shotted this for him. I have been lurking for awhile HDer found his 2ct for about 10K was that a unicorn?
Did you read his thread? It was a round, and he did a bunch of extra work/took risks that would only work by someone who is:
1. VERY knowledgable
2. Ok with huge risks and the potential to be disappointed.
3. Doesn't need any perks of an upgrade policy

This is NOT your son. Not only because of the shape, but just due to the entire situation being 100% different.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uuhh-ohhhh @lovedogs is right. He needs to slow WAY down, or go to Diamonds by Lauren or ID jewelry ONLY. If he wants to make a buy Today (some guys are like that...), make sure he doesn't get lured in by anyone else and that he tells the folks at IDJ or DBL that Pricescope sent him!!!!!

I went to 47th st. Before PS and there are some pretty aggressive sales tactics going on

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any diamond district is not for the uninitiated, but NYC is particularly rough. I'm crossing my fingers your son takes the advice to either ONLY go to Diamonds By Lauren (fancy cut pros!) or IDJewelry (good, all around budget option) -- or simply walk away. For a princess or cushion, I'd personally lead to DBL.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this talk about the crazy NYC diamond district vendors have me wanting to go kick down some doors and give'm a run for their money. If only I was closer, lol.

Seriously though, before your son buys he needs to sit down and think about all this. His GF has some big asks. I'm not sure if $5-6k is based on his inexperience or that's what he can afford. Nothing wrong with the budget amount but expectations on one or both sides need adjusted for this to be a win-win.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be a diamond? 5-6k for 2.5ct w halo = moissy budget, i think lauren b does those and there are some other nice options in that direction if future fiancee is open to them. There's another forum for discussing simulants.

To find 2ct for 10k i think he'll need to be able to weed through lots of bad stones and be ok with lower color j-p. I havent shopped there but diamonds by lauren seems good at finding those kinds of stones.

Good luck!

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all I think his budget comes from inexperience . he thought he would just wake up this morning go to lauren B jewelry and by a 2.5ct ring :) :) :)
just spoke with Him guess he went and spoke with yeuketil 1.8ct Grade: H VS2 that's all he remembered but he has a sheet with the rest of the dimensions.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Lauren B jewelry has one he likes also. Grade I IS1 they don't have an ASET image told him GIA > ASET
are there huge differences?

he has two on hold now and confused.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Can he give us the certification numbers for the LaurenB stone?

He'll pay WAY WAY more at LaurenB....
GIA 2195661205 he said little lower quality basically same price
but im not there with him so im trying to help him through this forum :)
Plus from texts hes stuck on size and vendor that she wants. :(

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren B jewelry has one he likes also. Grade I IS1 they don't have an ASET image told him GIA > ASET
are there huge differences?

he has two on hold now and confused.

What?

These are two different things. GIA is certification that identifies color, clarity, carat weight and diamond proportions. As you see above in the GIA report posted, the proportions on a cushion diamond isn't very helpful.

An ASET has a single purpose -- to show light return. Below is an example.

Using a white background, white shows leakage. Green shows less intense light. Red shows the most intense light. Consequently, you want a stone with more red in it. Below is a chart showing various ASET images for various quality of stones.

The stones listed as strong/ideal will have lots of fire, and what you want to buy.

As you can see, the ASET tells us more about the performance (cut) of the stone than the GIA cert can, but it tells us nothing about the color, clarity or carat weight. Having both when buying a fancy shape is critical IMO as it provides assurance you are buying a quality cut stone.

cushionasets.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ also has a cavity, which is a little hole in the surface. It will tend to hold oils and dirt. Is a VS2, so less of an issue than the LaurenB one. But, I'd want IDJ to come up with more options and provide ASET images.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo @rockysalamander's thoughts.

Also, not as well versed on cushion's so hoping others will confirm but I believe you want to be at 68% and less on depth. The Lauren B is 68.2. More concerning is it's hiding weight in the slightly to very thick girdle.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you read his thread? It was a round, and he did a bunch of extra work/took risks that would only work by someone who is:
1. VERY knowledgable
2. Ok with huge risks and the potential to be disappointed.
3. Doesn't need any perks of an upgrade policy

This is NOT your son. Not only because of the shape, but just due to the entire situation being 100% different.

...and it was a VERY low color. If GF is color sensitive, and wants an icy white diamond, your son will not achieve what @HDer achieved.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say not to the LaurenB,,,it has a cavity, clouds + strong flour in a SI1 stone. Very likely a problem.

upload_2019-1-15_18-1-7.png

upload_2019-1-15_18-0-37.png

*Clouds are not shown.
In addition to the nature & characteristics of the other inclusions listed, this is a HARD no, for me.
ASET Images are ESSENTIAL in evaluating ALL Fancy Cut Diamonds.
He needs to run fast from ANY vendor who says, otherwise.....

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Can you guys throw out some nice stones now that we have some type of range.
Cushion 1.8- 2.01ct 10-14k?

just received this text from him: is the Lauren really that bad of a quality? wont find a better priced 2ct
thinking im dampening his spirits, but I want the best ring for them :(

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results