shape
carat
color
clarity

New sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you are keeping the stone... the color is fabulous
30.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I''m so happy you are keeping it!!! The color is wonderful and it will make a gorgeous ring.
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 2:32:07 PM
Author: Chrono
Damn! This sapphire puts the tanzanite to shame.
30.gif
Looking at the next to the metal pictures, I suggest as high a karat gold setting as possible. The colour just POPS in your 99.9% yellow gold ring.

Ditto. The contrast is just stunning!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
For a slightly darker stone, the color just glows...I also like the yellow gold...strange as lately I prefer white gold/silver metals.

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Actually i just wrote to Gene to ask whether he has anything similar.
Sadly, this is the only piece
jealous jealous jealous~~~
39.gif

It''s dark but it glows.
put that into my "wanted list"

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 8:55:41 PM
Author: babydoll_mini
Actually i just wrote to Gene to ask whether he has anything similar.

Sadly, this is the only piece

jealous jealous jealous~~~
39.gif

It''s dark but it glows.

put that into my ''wanted list''

Haha, I wrote him too to see if I might find a matching pendant piece, but alas, this was the only one of this color quality he had.

My favorite saturation is med dark it seems, I love my tsavorite which is also med dark. I just adore the richness of saturation and tone, the colors feel so intense, as if it could rub off on things. Love it!

I''ve also found that this sapphire doesn''t bleed or grey out in any light, which is great. :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think I could put it in this temporary setting? It''s for a 7 x 5mm emerald.

tempsapph.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone just pops off the screen next to the high karat gold. I think you should consider that. (maybe 18K since you''d be wearing it to work?)

I''d normally side with LD on the bezel issue because its normally true, but I would say you could go with a semi bezel based on how that stone was cut.

And again, I''m glad you''re keeping it (I didn''t want to have to disown you lol)

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the look with high carat told but would that he safe and secure for a prong setting? All the high karat gemstone jewelry I see tends to either he bezeled or have very thick and chunky prongs. I would just be worried about the softness for everyday wear. And I like more delicate styles which I''m not sure is safe in high karat rings.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 2:04:49 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

With white gold.

IMG7033.JPG

Somehow I missed this thread. I have been so busy with work =(

MTG You have a beautiful blue sapphire. I would have bought it if its still around. I love the blue flashes from your photos!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 4:38:58 PM
This is the closest to real color, IRL it''s a touch more purple.

on my calibrated monitor, it looks very blue to me

what kind if inclusions are there ? they look like bubbles or are they feathers?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 11:34:45 PM
I also love the look with high carat told but would that he safe and secure for a prong setting? All the high karat gemstone jewelry I see tends to either he bezeled or have very thick and chunky prongs. I would just be worried about the softness for everyday wear. And I like more delicate styles which I''m not sure is safe in high karat rings.
I have 2 18K pieces for daily wear, but nothing higher than that. So I can see where its offputting to go higher though it sure is pretty. I have one with a bezel (the JTK ring with silver band) and one that is prong (all gold including the band, but its yet another garnet). I''ve not had issues with either, but if someone were a bit rough on their hands I can see where it might.

-A

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is just a breathtakingly beautiful blue. Gene is definitely my favorite cutter. I can''t wait to see what you do with it!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since majority of those great settings you''ve found are for step cuts, and since your stone is...not a step cut, I''d suggest you try to find a setting for a cushion or oval blue sapphire that you like, cause that might look much more like what you''ll end up with.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great point. I just haven''t been finding any oval or elongated cushion rings that aren''t halos or solitaires that catch my eye.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Do you think double prongs is even reasonable in a stone this small? I want to preserve the outline as much as possible and I'm worried that 4 prongs at the corners would obscure those points too much and ruin the sharp outline.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Beautiful cut/color!!
30.gif

Btw. I think 18k is fine. My mother has all her rings set in 18k and they look great, after 30+ years and never even visiting a jewelry to check prongs or anything. I have a bunch of stones set in 22k myself, nothing as gorgeous as your sapphire, but they''re all fine. 18k is the standard for most european jewelry anyways.

Can''t wait to see what you do with that stone!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Haha, I''m looking forward to what I do with this sapphire too! I really don''t have any strong ideas at this point, still in the brainstorming stage. I haven''t even decided on a gold color yet! I like how it looks with the yellow gold...but I don''t really wear much YG jewelery, so I might do a YG head and white body. I have a tsav in a two tone setting and I love it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 5:14:54 PM
Haha TL I think everyone should take stones into work first! It wouldn''t do to have it look great outside but dead in the office if that''s where you are all day.

Ltl I am a 2nd year and just started peds rotation. So happy its my first one since pediatricians are so nice!

Glad that you are keeping the stone. My sapphire has a large inclusion, and in most lightings I can''t even see it, especially since the jeweler reset it EW style.

When did they start doing rotations second year?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 8:19:16 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Most schools don''t, but Penn is weird and only does 1.5 years of basic science and then we start rotations 2nd half of 2nd year. I''m really enjoying it actually, though that may have to do with how amazing CHOP is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure if double prongs is a good idea. My previous diamond (before the upgrade) was 5.5 mm square with double prongs and I thought it overpowered the stone. Since then, I feel that double prongs are best for larger stones.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I realize I''m in the minority here, but I really like it against the while gold. Agree with Chrono and you, MTG, about the double prongs.

I didn''t realize Penn''s program was different that way. Though, I run a program for med students and I''ve been reading lots of Penn apps, so I probably should have realized!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool Novel, maybe I'll meet you someday in the future!

Yeah, I was afraid double prongs would be too much, but I've never seen them in person...I may have to go to the jewelery district and see some settings in person, maybe that would help me get a better idea of what would work. Although I don't know if I'll see many stones as small as mine, haha.

Maybe just single claw prongs then... I just hope it doesn't change the outline too much.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 8:27:41 PM
Date: 1/12/2010 8:19:16 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

Most schools don't, but Penn is weird and only does 1.5 years of basic science and then we start rotations 2nd half of 2nd year. I'm really enjoying it actually, though that may have to do with how amazing CHOP is.

I never rotated at CHOP (spent a lot of time at St Chris though) but my old roommate did her residency there and had a great experience. My first rotation was peds, and look where I am now!

About the ring - some random thoughts as I scroll though your thread

My sapphire is in a prong setting, and I have not had any issues, and it has been though a lot and is also on my dominate hand! I am not sure about pave. I wanted pave for my sapphire for the last 2 years, and I originally wanted pave for my e-ring, but now I am changing my mind because it may not be practical. My sapphire ring gets so grimy after 30-40 hits of hand sanitizer a day. I think I am going to need an ultrasonic cleaner, which means I need to pick settings that can go in one. It might be hard to clean those little diamonds. I personally like the look of white gold, especially if that is what you normally wear. Maybe a three stone setting with small diamond side stones to accent it.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:00:23 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m not sure if double prongs is a good idea. My previous diamond (before the upgrade) was 5.5 mm square with double prongs and I thought it overpowered the stone. Since then, I feel that double prongs are best for larger stones.
yeah those double prongs will be too much metal for a small stone
its better with a big huge stone.. its also meant to have secure the stone more firmly too i bet..

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d consider double prongs only if you find a jeweller who''ll be able to do really thin claw prongs, otherwise not. I wonder if V prongs (like on a tip of a pear cut) could be done. That could help preserve the outline.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always thought v prongs looked a bit bulky, maybe I''ve just never seen really nice ones? I feel like it might be too much metal for such a small stone...but who knows.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, MakingTheGrade, can''t advise you much about prongs (although to my inexperienced opinion they will optically diminish the stone) but I not been sleeping well for two nights. I like the color so much, I want to cry!

I like bypass rings, I think one of our lapidaries had something like it made for his wife by Richard Wise, it should go well with the shape of your stone, but, alas, may, too, optically make it smallel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results