shape
carat
color
clarity

New sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An unheated Winza blue sapphire from precisiongem.com, just under a carat. The color is quite vibrant, and the cut is amazing as usual. However, the inclusion is quite large.

IMG6942.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blue!

IMG6943.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hey, looks like you had some good luck too!!!!

Beautiful color!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some perspective

IMG6946.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ltl!

The color is great...but, the inclusion can be distracting. Most of the time it''s subtle and you can''t really pick it up right away..

IMG6952.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But sometimes the light hits it just wrong and....bleh

IMG6958.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, the more I look at it in person, the more I think it''s got a slight purple secondary to it.

IMG6966.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, so the post office isn''t open tomorrow anyways, so I thought I''d wait until Monday to see how I felt about the inclusion and see if the stone grew on me or if I''d send it back.
Hope you guys liked the photos!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Lovely color! I think the inclusion would bother me too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
That is a great blue color. Hard to find such a fine blue. I think it would make a very fun and wearable piece. Color trumps inclusions when it comes to colored stones.
1.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful colour! It looks really good against your skin, I like it a lot.

Jen

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 4:39:44 PM
Author: Fly Girl
That is a great blue color. Hard to find such a fine blue. I think it would make a very fun and wearable piece. Color trumps inclusions when it comes to colored stones.
1.gif

Yes, it''s such a lovely blue and unheated on top of that. Normally inclusions don''t bother me but I''m looking for a sapphire for a graduation ring which I''m hoping to wear often, so I''m perhaps being pickier than usual.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does have a gorgeous color but I understand about the inclusion. I can''t wait to see if you keep it or not.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful color! If you do keep it, what were you planning on doing w/it?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! Is this going to be a pendant or ring project if you keep it? the inclusion shouldn''t be too much of a problem with a pendant...
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is very pretty and the stone vibrant! I was about to question you on the inclusion because I didn''t see anything until that 1 super blown up picture. Is the line of scattered "bubbles"? Is that a liquid or gas cavity?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Beautiful color of blue.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color blue! The inclusion would not bother me for a pendant, but it would for a ring...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color and I do not think the inclusion spolis it, in fact, the imperfection proves that it is natural. It can not be hidden in a setting but the cut makes the stone sparkle and it can distract from the inclusion.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s a nice shade of blue, but if the inclusion can be easily seen with the naked eye it would definately bother me. Just for the record, yesterday I browsed around http://www.djraregems.com/ and they have a few nice blue sapphires. Thought you might be interested in case this one doesen''t work out.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re trading off colour with clarity here. If the price was right, I would definitely keep this because great colour sapphires are most difficult to find if you don''t have lots of $s to throw around.

Let''s face it, you''re used to seeing this with PS''ers eyes. Others will see this set into a ring/pendant and won''t get closer than 2 feet (for example). If it''s on your hand it''ll be a distance away. Bearing that in mind, is the inclusion still going to be worrying?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It''s a gorgeous blue, I think it''s really nice, maybe if it''s not suitable for a ring, perhaps another pendant?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
The colour is lovely, and in most pictures, the inclusion is not visible. But it may be different in person. One picture shows what appears to be an internal fracture. I don''t mind a small feather, veil, or crystal inclusion, but I always suspect a stone with an internal fracture of being ready to split in two (not that I have any gemological knowledge that supports this paranoia).

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

MTG;

I think it is a very lovely gem; getting that color blue is hard; especially in untreated in any way.

Many of your photos are very nice; I could learn a thing or two from you
28.gif
and from 8 inches away it looks as if you can not see the inclusion. I agree with many on this thread; the color is very fine; the cut is outstanding, and it looks very nice against your skin color; I can just imagine it split prong set with VS- G-H color diamond and white gold; I am sure it would make a statement of royalty.

I have been cutting and buying rough for almost 20 years and it is very hard to get untreated good blue sapphires that will turn out that color; even with inclusions; you just put the inclusion in the best place you can that does not draw too much attention. IF you can...

Therefore natural material over synthetics; inclusions are something you will always have to deal with as a cutter or collector.

But of course the choice is always the consumers as they are the one putting out the cash and also the one wearing and looking at it daily. I did not notice the inclusion until you did the macro on it. I just thought it was lovely...

Just my humble opinion; I think it is a very fine gem... It just has a little personality
19.gif

Most respectfully;

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it a lot, that''s one of the nicest stones I''ve seen of Gene''s. Sapphires tend to muddy in certain lighting, but when it''s in the right lighting, it''s very nice!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is just yummy
18.gif

As everyone has said, its an amazing TDF color and Gene''s phenominal cutting shows that off.

At the price, you may not be able to get eye clean for the color.

Me personally, I''d keep it knowing that a sapphire of that color and precise cut would cost heaps more without the inclusion.

HOWEVER, you want it for a very special ring for you to wear, not me or anyone else on this thread. So only you can determine if its worthy for you.

If by Monday you just can''t tolerate the inclusion, you''d be well within rights to send it back. I wouldn''t expect to be around long after you sent it back because with that amazing in color it would be snapped up quickly.

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all he input!

I brought it into work today and it looks great in this lighting which is a good thing since its where I spend most of my time. Its a stunning velvety blue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results