shape
carat
color
clarity

New sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some pics from my phone, at work. Yum :)

work1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the closest to real color, IRL it's a touch more purple.

wrk2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So yeah, I think I''m keeping it after all...

wrk3.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
very pretty! i was going to say, don''t send it back -- send it to me!! :)

glad you''re keeping it. setting ideas??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 2:14:56 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks for all he input!

I brought it into work today and it looks great in this lighting which is a good thing since its where I spend most of my time. Its a stunning velvety blue.
Okay, I''m glad to know I''m not the only person that brings their stones to work before I set them. LOL!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Threadjack - What year are you?

Have any more thoughts about the inclusion?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha TL I think everyone should take stones into work first! It wouldn''t do to have it look great outside but dead in the office if that''s where you are all day.

Ltl I am a 2nd year and just started peds rotation. So happy its my first one since pediatricians are so nice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 4:39:46 PM
So yeah, I think I''m keeping it after all...
Hoo-ray!!! Yes, that color is going to please your eye day after day. I bring stones to work, also, to check out the color.
2.gif

Looking forward to seeing what sort of setting you select.
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will probably be awhile before I set it especially since I''m waffling so much on how I want to set it. Haha I''m so hopeless.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
The stone looks amazing, even with the inclusion. I was thinking about contacting Gene to get at the top of the list had you sent it back! Look forward to seeing the end product, once you decide what it will be.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I definitely couldn't afford this color, cut, and size in an unheated sapphire without the inclusion. I think it would easily run into the thousands, lol, and I'd like to keep this project under the 1k mark. And I actually don't usually mind inclusions, I think this one just threw me off because I wasn't expecting it since you can't see it well from the web photo but it's much more easily seen in real life. So I was just surprised since I wasn't expecting it.

I really do love the color though. Rich, blue and velvety and very intense!

If anyone has photos of setting suggestions, I'm all eyes! :)
I may go bug the SMTR people too since they may have more input setting smaller stones. I see a lot of settings I love here in the CS forum, but the stones are usually much larger so I don't know if they'd work in small scale.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! That last picture is my favourite! I LOVE that blue!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does it compare to your tanzanite in your avatar? Can you take a picture of them side by side???
12.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 10:20:27 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
How does it compare to your tanzanite in your avatar? Can you take a picture of them side by side???
12.gif

It''s much more of a pure blue (very slightly purple, which gives it a deep velvety look) and much more saturated. The tanzanite has a stronger purple component and has pink flashes, and has a touch more grey, and isn''t as saturated.

I''ll try to take a side by side photo when I get home.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You posted new photos since I visited this thread - I love, love the color of your sapphire.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you're keeping it MTG!

ETA: Does this one get a name too?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
Glad you''re keeping it!
36.gif

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 11:27:57 PM
Author: packrat
I''m glad you''re keeping it MTG!

ETA: Does this one get a name too?

Hehe, no name. Open to suggestion though.

I''m hoping to keep the setting simple and under 600$. My default plan is to go with a sally creation since her pricing falls comfortably in that range even with side diamonds, but I''d like some other options too. I think right now my favorite idea is side baguettes, but we''ll see. I don''t really have a good feel for settings since all I ever really browse are the LOGR and etsy ones, which is probably much lower than normal.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 11:15:34 PM
Author: marcyc
You posted new photos since I visited this thread - I love, love the color of your sapphire.

Thanks!

Hehe, is your avatar a pic of your gem dish?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I''ve also noticed that you can''t really see the inclusion when its in my hand, just mostly when its in the box or loose. Gene says you can only really see it when its side lit. Does this mean I should maybe bezel it ? But I wouldn''t want the color any darker. hmm. Any ideas ?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if I missed it, but what are the dimensions of the stone? I''d think about setting it east-west in a split shank (prongs), cause that way, sides with more prominent points/tips would be set on the sides of the ring and (probably) be more protected. I worry that those tips would be asking for trouble if set north-south, as sides of rings often suffer less damage than profile (top and bottom). Doing some sort of a bezel, or a semi bezel, would probably be costly and risky for the stone due to shape, and the same goes for settings like flush. Maybe some diamond melee channel set in the split or in the shank would be nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if I’d bezel this sapphire. It has a very unusual outline as well which I think you should play up.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree and I didn''t really plan on a bezel. I''m just trying to think of ways to minimize the inclusion. Any input on how to decrease side lighting in a prong setting ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a 3 stone or something similar (decorative) on either sides of the sapphire to help limit the light coming in from the sides, while allowing light to enter from the N/S?

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Oh, yay! Ever since you posted about buying it I''ve been hoping to see pics of this beauty! It is gorgeous! (And, you know, if you ever decide you don''t want it, I''d be more than happy to take it off your hands ;-) )

What kind of lighting do you have at work? I ask because we have lame cheap fluorescents at work that turn all the sapphires I have purple, which I hate.. or maybe it''s that I have lame cheap sapphires. But yours looks absolutely fabulous.

I agree with the E-W setting ideas; I think that would look really nice (and potentially minimize the inclusion).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 9:06:21 AM
I agree and I didn't really plan on a bezel. I'm just trying to think of ways to minimize the inclusion. Any input on how to decrease side lighting in a prong setting ?
Not sure it can be done in a prong setting, especially if you'd like to keep the whole of the outline completely visible.

EDIT: Just remembered that you could do a double split shank (three "arms" holding the stone on each side); that could result in what you're after.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I love that blue MTG!
30.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I took a LOT of new pics, haha. Now that I''ve made a decision, I''m happily in love with it! The color is truly amazing, a deep pure vibrant blue in daylight, and in doors it can pick up a hint of purple to make it a velvety royal blue that''s very kashmir-like.

Here are the comparison photos of the tanz and sapphire for TL. Sapphire makes the tanz look
7.gif

IMG6989.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results