shape
carat
color
clarity

New 2.48 cushion w pave setting by Mark T @ ERD!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE the new pics, I could stare at your ring all day!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 8:19:12 PM
Author: sunshine14
Hi Bargaincrazy! Your ring is beautiful!! Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for appeasing us with the new pics :)

3 quick questions if you dont mind!

1. How long did the custom process take for you?
2. How many ''adjustments'' did you have to make to the CAD images look like what you wanted?
3. What is the quality of your side stones? Did you pick them yourself or did ERD do it?

Answer only if you have time...and thanks in advance!

Thanks to everybody again for your compliments!

Sunshine14:
1. Working with Mark at ERD, I got my ring pretty quickly. The only long delay was in the beginning, because I couldn''t decide what I wanted. I had many discussions on the phone and over email before sending over my design on 11/19/06. Received first CADs on 11/28. Wax was started on 12/6. Ring was finished on 12/21.

2. I was pretty hung up over how the CAD images look so computer-y and not like real life, so I had my doubts and just kept asking Mark for reassurance that the final product would look the way I wanted. I only made one set of adjustments to the CAD, and all changes were so subtle they could hardly be seen in the renderings.

3. ERD picked the side stones. I think I underestimate the importance of the melee, because I have no idea what color/clarity they are. But I''ve noticed that many PSers choose their own and/or insist on ideal cut of a certain color/clarity. I didn''t take the time to do that.

Actually, before finalizing my design, I THOUGHT I wanted something different. Mark did CADs for that original design, and I REALLY wasn''t feeling it. So, I basically started over. I think the most important aspect of the custom process is to feel a rapport with and really trust your designer/jeweler. If you feel uneasy about it, then maybe it''s not a good fit. I could give much more commentary on my experience, but it might be lengthy, and my kids are acting up. Will write more later.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:15:48 PM
Author: bargaincrazy

Hi Bargaincrazy! Your ring is beautiful!! Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for appeasing us with the new pics :)

2. How many ''adjustments'' did you have to make to the CAD images look like what you wanted?
3. What is the quality of your side stones? Did you pick them yourself or did ERD do it?

Sunshine14:
1. Working with Mark at ERD, I got my ring pretty quickly. The only long delay was in the beginning, because I couldn''t decide what I wanted. I had many discussions on the phone and over email before sending over my design on 11/19/06. Received first CADs on 11/28. Wax was started on 12/6. Ring was finished on 12/21.

2. I was pretty hung up over how the CAD images look so computer-y and not like real life, so I had my doubts and just kept asking Mark for reassurance that the final product would look the way I wanted. I only made one set of adjustments to the CAD, and all changes were so subtle they could hardly be seen in the renderings.

3. ERD picked the side stones. I think I underestimate the importance of the melee, because I have no idea what color/clarity they are. But I''ve noticed that many PSers choose their own and/or insist on ideal cut of a certain color/clarity. I didn''t take the time to do that.

Actually, before finalizing my design, I THOUGHT I wanted something different. Mark did CADs for that original design, and I REALLY wasn''t feeling it. So, I basically started over. I think the most important aspect of the custom process is to feel a rapport with and really trust your designer/jeweler. If you feel uneasy about it, then maybe it''s not a good fit. I could give much more commentary on my experience, but it might be lengthy, and my kids are acting up. Will write more later.
You know - I really think you should write it all out.... but include it either on that feedback thread I started on RT or start a new thread inviting people to share their custom stories.... I think these stories shouldn''t be lost.... actually I think you should double post it if that''s allowed lol

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:15:48 PM

Sunshine14:

Thanks for the reply Bargaincrazy! They really help for my custom ring journey! Just through all of this, I keep hitting points where I think "oh god...I should have just went to the mall...." or "I should have picked a pre-made setting". All of the uncertainty, tweaks, misunderstandings, etc. really take a toll on me!

But it is nice to hear that some of my experiences are normal and that I could end up with a ring as beautiful as yours!!

Thanks again!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2006 12:06:25 PM
Pics don''t do it justice, but here are some that I like. I took like hundreds already
1.gif

Sorry, I don''t know how to attach more than one pic per post.
Oh I thought I liked the side shots but this one is even better. Lovely cushion!!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is STUNNING and basically my favorite style! Even the centerstone is perfect! That ring is so lovely! Enjoy it and wear it in good health!
35.gif

Mark Turnowski is truly one of the greatest people to work with. I have had the luck to work with him personally (long ago), and I have to say not only is he fair, and conscientious business person, but excellent human being. Truly one of the nicest guys out there!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2007 10:41:19 PM
Here''s another closeup of facet pattern. Those little random fibers caught in the prongs are gross I know.
Yes, that''s what I mean by facet pattern shots. Lovely facets. Great cushion.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is possibly the most stunning thing ever! I
30.gif
it. I showed it to my boyfriend in the hopes that he will get me something similar! I have to say, your cushion is absolutely stunning as well. Do you know if it has a name/type? For example, is it an older cushion or a newer brilliant? I am just getting into the world of cushions...but I know they can all look different. I''m hoping to get as much info as possible so my boyfriend can feel confident when he chooses the diamond!

Thanks!!!

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bargaincrazy! Your ring is absolutely stunning! I guess I can say, we are cushion sisters now!!!

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 7:42:04 PM
Author: Ladyoflovers
Hi Bargaincrazy! Your ring is absolutely stunning! I guess I can say, we are cushion sisters now!!!

Thank you very much Ladyoflovers!!

Yes!!! And I do feel an extra special connection to my fellow Mark T cushion sisters
1.gif

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 1:30:02 PM
Author: neatfreak
Your ring is possibly the most stunning thing ever! I
30.gif
it. I showed it to my boyfriend in the hopes that he will get me something similar! I have to say, your cushion is absolutely stunning as well. Do you know if it has a name/type? For example, is it an older cushion or a newer brilliant? I am just getting into the world of cushions...but I know they can all look different. I'm hoping to get as much info as possible so my boyfriend can feel confident when he chooses the diamond!

Thanks!!!

Thank you very much neatfreak and WELCOME!! On my cert, it says "Cushion Brilliant", and so it is not a modern or "Cushion Modified Brilliant". However, it is not an antique stone or anything. It was cut recently. I had some conversations with Mark Turnowski about cushions. I was told a few interesting things about my stone. Originally I was told (by a vendor other than Mark) that this stone was rated AGS 000, and that such a rating couldn't be achieved by a cushion unless it had an open culet and was a "Cushion Brilliant". When I looked at it next to a round brilliant, it really had comparable sparkle and fire to me. I had the stone sent to Mark for his expert opinion. He agreed it was an exquisite stone. He originally didn't think AGS rated any cushions as 000, but then looked it up and indeed there were a few. Mark told me that he prefers the brilliance of the "Cushion Brilliant" over the "Cushion Modified Brilliant". He also told me that the cutter of my stone has a special method of cutting to maximize brilliance. This all may sound very sales-y, but obviously I bought it
1.gif

The plot on my cert looks like this one:
picofcert.jpg

My stone seems very symmetrical with consistently sized facets if that makes any sense. I have seen other cushions with some beautiful chunky facets (a more antique feel), but mine is not like that. It's definitely a matter of personal preference. Cushions are so different...not like rounds where you have the hearts and arrows to guide you.

This thread shows the different cushion plots and is interesting if you haven't seen it.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the plot diagram. That helps a lot. All I know is that I want my cushion to have bigger sparkles and not look "busy". It seems that many cushions these days are cut more like radiants and just look too busy. I have been staring at yours ever since you posted it...gorgeous. =)

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Bargaincrazy, I had a bit of a break away from PS and am finally catching up with the beautiful rings on PS. Yours is absolutely GORGEOUS and definitely one of my favorites. Initially I hoped for an e-ring just like yours, but I had never seen cushions in real life before and it was therefore difficult to contemplate having a ring made up by Mark, when I had no clue about cushions and based in the Middle East it wasn''t possible to check any out. Instead I went the safe route and got a RB. However, if we''re ever flush enough for me to have a RHR, I''ll be onto Mark about a cushion. I know he''s the man, judging by your fantastic ring and others.

CONGRATULATIONS, you really have a fabulous ring, which is stunning.

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
MiniMouse: Welcome back and thank you for your compliments!! You are too kind.

neatfreak: Yes, I know what you mean about some radiants and cushions...the cracked glass look. I too wanted to avoid that. Luckily, I came across my stone almost immediately after starting my search, and it was perfect. I love the size uniformity of the facets. I definitely spend way too long staring at it
1.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t been on PS in a while, somehow I missed this thread the last time I was on...

bargaincrazy, your ring is stunning! LOVE IT!!
30.gif
The stone is just gorgeous and I''m so glad you didn''t put a halo around it. I think it''s just beautiful on it''s own. I love your custom setting, too... it''s just perfect for your cushion. Gorgeous combo! Feel free to post more pics... I just love looking at your ring! Congrats!

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 10:35:59 AM
Author: portia
I haven''t been on PS in a while, somehow I missed this thread the last time I was on...

bargaincrazy, your ring is stunning! LOVE IT!!
30.gif
The stone is just gorgeous and I''m so glad you didn''t put a halo around it. I think it''s just beautiful on it''s own. I love your custom setting, too... it''s just perfect for your cushion. Gorgeous combo! Feel free to post more pics... I just love looking at your ring! Congrats!

Hi Portia and welcome back!! Thank you so much. I LOVE your ring too!! It''s a Danhov, right? I wasn''t sure if Dimend Scaasi sells Danhov or makes a replica. I tried to make my band look like yours, but it''s a little off. I was just looking at your wedding set. Gorgeous!! I''m still trying to decide what to do for a WB.

LaLaDozier

Rough_Rock
That is a beautiful ring! I love it! Congrats!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
love it : )

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I might have asked you this on another thread, but have you decided on a wedding band yet?

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 11:50:14 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
I think I might have asked you this on another thread, but have you decided on a wedding band yet?

Hi blingergrrrl! Well, since you asked
1.gif
, I''ve heavily leaning towards a custom Michael B. lace type band, but with a soft knife edge and proportions to match my ER. So, I''ll get that nice look of a plain band (and contrast with my ering shank), but with a little bit of bling and detail. I have always LOVED the Michael B. lace collection. However, the bands are quite thick and pricey to boot.

Thanks LalaDozier and MMM!! I LOVE both your rings as well.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm...so something like this??
31.gif
That''s a really neat idea!

IMG_3608.jpg

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
WOW Blingergrrrl!! That's really cool. Where did you get that Whiteflash picture? Who has those rings? Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I will have to download that pic to my hard drive. Have you made any decisions on your ER setting and WB?

ETA: Oh...your Photochopped, didn't you? Impressive!! Thanks for the pic. I will have to show my jeweler. Well done.

I think it will work if I do 3 diamonds in a row on the top of the band, and then two in a row on either side. I asked the jeweler if we could go thicker on the WB than the ER, but he suggests making the bands about the same width and using same sized melee to try to tie the two rings together as much as possible.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 7:28:52 PM
WOW Blingergrrrl!! That's really cool. Where did you get that Whiteflash picture? Who has those rings? Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I will have to download that pic to my hard drive. Have you made any decisions on your ER setting and WB?

ETA: Oh...your Photochopped, didn't you? Impressive!! Thanks for the pic. I will have to show my jeweler. Well done.

I think it will work if I do 3 diamonds in a row on the top of the band, and then two in a row on either side. I asked the jeweler if we could go thicker on the WB than the ER, but he suggests making the bands about the same width and using same sized melee to try to tie the two rings together as much as possible.

Yeah...I think I'm a photochopaholic! (maybe I should change my name from Blingergrrrl to Photochopaholic??

20.gif
)

...I dunno how he will be able to use the same size melee and the same band width because the width of your band is the width of your melee x2 (ie 2 diamonds across)? So you could only FIT one row on each side!? I attached a pic (again, photoshopped)...um, I dunno if I am too crazy about the band in the pic because the melee would have to be too small?? I think your jeweler is right about having the same sized melee...

bargaincrazy_and_lace.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I have gone through SO many settings...ugh! I really like the idea of diamonds on a basket setting with a plain knife edge band with a pave knife edge wband...and then I saw Mark Morrell's FLAME solitaire and I fell in love!! I wonder if he could transform one of his 1/2 eternity bands into a knife edge?

(attached pic)

MWM flame with a photoshopped knife edge.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 11:59:20 PM
Author: blingergrrrl

ooOOh!
20.gif
lol, I'm an idiot, I had to re-read that! You mean like this:

bargaincrazy_and_lace_bigger_melee.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
your ring is stunning! i love the the facet pattern of this cushion and the setting is to die for. it is absolutely perfect!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
ok, seriously, I need to go to bed...THIS is the pic I MEANT to post... (this better work!)

BTW, my sister is absolutely in love with your ring. She's had her set for 5 years and is bugging her hubby for a new one. He's going to KILL me for showing her your ring (that's him in my avatar with me at their wedding)!!

NEW_pic_for_bargaincrazy.jpg

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2: Thank you very much...so kind of you. I''m flattered.

Wow...you are so great blingergrrrl...such a Photoshop whiz! Yes, that last pic is the look I''m leaning towards.

As for your ring...Mark Morrell rings are to die for! Despite how much I love my ring, every time someone posts a MM in the SMTR forum, I''m so envious. You should totally get a Mark Morrell ring if you have the opportunity. I think his workmanship and artistry are unparalleled (based on all I''ve seen on PS). However, did you read Gypsy''s long thread about how Mark declined her custom project. That was heavy.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 1:13:05 AM
thing2of2: Thank you very much...so kind of you. I'm flattered.

Wow...you are so great blingergrrrl...such a Photoshop whiz! Yes, that last pic is the look I'm leaning towards.

As for your ring...Mark Morrell rings are to die for! Despite how much I love my ring, every time someone posts a MM in the SMTR forum, I'm so envious. You should totally get a Mark Morrell ring if you have the opportunity. I think his workmanship and artistry are unparalleled (based on all I've seen on PS). However, did you read Gypsy's long thread about how Mark declined her custom project. That was heavy.
Ok, 1) YOU'RE CRAZY, you're ring is one of the most gorgeous one-of-a-kind rings I've EVER seen!!!
9.gif
9.gif

2) The only thing that sucks is that MM doesn't deliver to Canada, so my BF and I were talking about flying down to pick it up, or having it sent to his brother who lives in the US...that is IF I get a MM! ;-)

3) re: Gypsy, that thread broke my heart!!! How awful. Sometimes I wonder if he takes on too much and then calls people and cancels the job...cuz it seems so out of the blue (I SOOO hope he doesn't read this forum cuz I don't want to be insulting in any way!!)?

4) please don't forget to post pics when you make your final wband decision!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m late on this one, but wanted to say I love it! Your stone is so pretty! Those ex/ex cushions are somethin'', aren''t they? Mine is much smaller than yours, but I just love the symmetry of it...every quadrant mirrors the other!

Congrats on a gorgeous ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results