shape
carat
color
clarity

Need OEC Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 1:56:08 PM
Author: belle
chrono, you have a coulpe of different color choices here... what are you after? do you want something that looks almost colorless or do you want the warmth of a lower color stone?
Belle,
I am not too particular about colour. I have a J Jubilee which is white enough for me. I have never seen a K though, but I don''t think the tint will be that bad since K is only one grade away from a J. In short, I was a charming and firey stone that is eyeclean, as white and as large as I can get. Is a K really tinted?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is where I really miss the PM system. I would have been PMing in a flurry to at least 3 people.

Here's the update.
1. The Fay Cullen stones are SOLD.
39.gif

2. Singlestone's stuff is gorgeous but I think it is pushing my budget past its limit.
3. I can't get any more stats on the 0.71 I SI1 OEC, plus the table is a tad too large, so it's being dropped from the race.

Here are the two new contenders:
OEC #A OEC # B
0.79ct K VS2 0.88ct J VS1
Depth 65.2% 63.1%
Table 55% 55%
Crown 16.3% 17.9%
Pav 43.2% 41.2%
Girdle Stk-Tk Tn-Med
P/S Good/Good Good/Good
Culet Medium Small
Fluoro No No
5.78 x 5.66 x 3.73 6.09 x 5.98 x 3.82

Should I even consider the OMC? It looks gorgeous but it is also so deep. What about the H SI3? Too risky?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i l
30.gif
ve the omc

i think you should consider it for sure. it would be my pick.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Hey Chrono -

The stats that you have on both A and B look pretty good. Did you look at Dave Atlas' old cut grading chart for OEC's? Link Again, I prefer the medium culet... so I like A. The K color doesn't bother me... but some Ks are better than others.

I love the old miner!!
1.gif
I'd usually be wary of an EGL SI3... but I bought my stone from Ari and if he says it's eye-clean... I would trust him on that. There are plenty of threads on here that discuss the consistency (or arguable lack thereof) of EGL reports.

One other vendor that I didn't think of until now is Suzanne at artdecodiamonds.com She was very pleasant to deal with and she has some loose old stones with GIA reports... and some that are in rings.

Someone else you can call is Martin Pulli - 215-508-4610. He has a B&M store just outside Philly and deals in antique / estate jewelry and watches. I was living in the area at the time so I went to his store... I don't know if he does many internet-based sales. I believe he knows Dave Atlas pretty well.

Are you near MD at all? This pretty thing is on Ebay! Ebay OMC Although I think buying jewelry off ebay is pretty risky and largely inadvisable, but there can be exceptions - especially if the seller is willing to make arrangements to use an appraiser or let you see it in person beforehand (I've done this before).

Although it's been said before, a lot of the time with old cuts, it's not about the numbers. The stones really do have different "personalities." Looking for just the right antique cut diamond takes a lot of patience.

6c_1_sbl.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your help. This has been a fun but very nerve racking experience. I updated the stats of both OEC A and B to include the crown height and pavilon depth. I have called Bob from WF to pull both in and take a look. In this case, I believe it is worth it to pay the extra $45 to ship one of them home. Hopefully, I''ll get some pictures before the end of the week. I totally adore the OMC but it faces up so tiny: only 5mm for a 0.8ct stone.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what WF says! I was going to push for #2 but then I saw it has a small culet. Why would I want a small culet with an older stone?!? Oh well; we''ll see what they look like in person, I guess.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 2:46:28 PM
Author: Chrono

Here are the two new contenders:

OEC #A

OEC # B

Should I even consider the OMC? It looks gorgeous but it is also so deep. What about the H SI3? Too risky?

IMO, between the A and B the choice is super easy: A is deep, B goes well into the territory of ideal proportions. That B is larger and whiter also helps.
10.gif

I like OMC allot, and since you have a Jubilee, 'thought it would be fun to 'pair' it with an old cousin. Now... that particular stone looks a tad dark even in the pictures. Perhaps this is not fair evaluation, and it goes without saying that such stones are common encounter. In theory... as long as the result looks nice, I can't find any obvious winner between a heavy and a light diamond that look about as big and cost about as much. Compared to the other diamonds you are considering, this one is small. Isn't there another OMC around?

H/SI3... seeing is believing. I know some look clean - it could be that this one does too. but I still want to see the .88 J!
9.gif
Those cherry numbers make me curious BIG time!

Re. small culet. yeah, OK. It would look like a pinhead rather than small window. There should be more than that separating the loks of an old stone from a new - the larger facets are a more obvious difference. IMO. And if this bit of diamond lives up to expectations and I would like it more open-ended... Hell, someone can shave up the culet a bit
31.gif
No kidding...

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how/if he''d handle the distance thang, but you might give Sol Varon a holler. Apparently he''s basically *the* guy in Portland (OR) for antique cuts at reasonable prices...he started seventeen years ago when people were practically paying him to take the stones and now? Well! Let''s just say he supplies the hipster/tony antique ring store with some of his babies while those in the know cram into his no-frills storefront.

I got a modest .40 European cut in its orginal white gold setting from him for $650, so he''s not at all high-falutin'' about those with--ahem--daintier budgets. While I have no idea of the specs of my stone (didn''t care...heresy, I know!), I had brought in printouts from Fay Cullen et al and he was totally open to looking at those and talking through each ring''s attributes. I almost advise calling vs. emailing because he''s such a font of info and not at all "sales-y."

He''s at 503.274.7170 [West Coast hours!] or solsplace319 at hotmail.com

Best of luck! Will look forward to photos from you down the line.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone who has been keeping tabs on my OEC quest, please go to this thread where I''ve posted the pictures, IS and Sarin reports. I would like your opinion on why you would pick one over the other. Thanks for keeping up with this crazy search and endless questions.

sax

Rough_Rock
check out www.artdecodiamonds.com. they have a nice selection of OEC''s...some have actual pictures. I think they are in the process of putting up pictures, but I know their inventory is very good, all GIA certified, only quality. I was recommeded to go to them, and I was very happy with my purchase. I upgraded my engagement ring with them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results