shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with Tiffany ring

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi I want to clarify but I am sure you already know this... you get a blue box with a fine jewelry purchase. I have recently purchased some silver pieces but with silver, you only get the pouch.
Yes, thanks Miki, I knew that, but it’s a great clarification for anyone interested =)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closest Tiffany store is 400 miles away from me at least :(((((
You can also order online, but it is not the same. Why don’t you just make a trip somewhere. You can still be engaged without a ring. Take your time to find the right one. You have found the one and that’s important. Finding the ring is the easy part ;-)

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would also suggest getting a replica of the Tiffany setting with the biggest diamond you could afford. $10K is a very healthy budget and you could have a gorgeous stone for that money. And spend the money on a Tiffany band to get the Tiffany experience. Their bands are so beautiful. And you could even search for those pre-loved and get an even better deal.

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
:errrr:
I would also suggest getting a replica of the Tiffany setting with the biggest diamond you could afford. $10K is a very healthy budget and you could have a gorgeous stone for that money. And spend the money on a Tiffany band to get the Tiffany experience. Their bands are so beautiful. And you could even search for those pre-loved and get an even better deal.
I only want Tiffany. I don’t want Tiffany settings

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok. I think that you should reach out to a sales associate and see what your money can buy. I saw online that T&Co 1ct rings in their Tiffany setting start at $12k. You can either save up a little more for a 1ct from them, or look for something in the 0.8-0.99 range. Then, I would plan a trip to a state with no sales tax and purchase your ring there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I think that you should reach out to a sales associate and see what your money can buy. I saw online that T&Co 1ct rings in their Tiffany setting start at $12k. You can either save up a little more for a 1ct from them, or look for something in the 0.8-0.99 range. Then, I would plan a trip to a state with no sales tax and purchase your ring there.

Just want to add to this post - if OP lives in a state that would charge sales tax on this purchase she is obligated to declare it and pay use tax in her home state when filing for the year.

Buying in a state without sales tax doesn’t absolve one of tax responsibilities on those purchases unless one can also claim residence in that state. It does, if course, mitigate the immediacy of shelling out the extra tax cost!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Others might disagree with me, but I’ve been buying happily and well off eBay for nearly 15 years.
The problem with Tiffany is that as a flagship and very desirable brand, and so people make replicas and fakes.
When buying such items on eBay you must buy from a reputable seller, must have “iron clad” documentation and carefully confirm your purchase as being genuine and true the moment you receive it.
Please people, if buying on eBay, do so through eBay. If the seller encourages you to purchase “outside eBay” you have NO eBay protection and in fact the seller is breaking and asking you to break the big NO 1 rule. And NEVER EVER pay by “friends and family” as then you will have absolutely no recourse with PayPal either.
In any regard, “fake” Tiffany not withstanding, $6,500 was a fair price for a 1.06 H colour VS2 clarity diamond in a Platinum setting. But of course, you were buying the “Tiffany” name and that fact is disputable.
And if you are desiring the Tiffany experience (and you are paying a premium for that) have the full Tiffany experience and go into the store and try them on and buy your fabulous ring sparkly and new.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The heart wants what the heart wants. Folks here are so helpful! Good luck!

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
Thank you everybody. You been tremendous help for me. This week I will go to Tiffany store and look what they have to offer. With vet discount we might found a carat for reasonable price. If no I will go to pre loved again but I will be very careful with my choices now and look at all paperwork which comes with it. Thank you so much agaon❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
Others might disagree with me, but I’ve been buying happily and well off eBay for nearly 15 years.
The problem with Tiffany is that as a flagship and very desirable brand, and so people make replicas and fakes.
When buying such items on eBay you must buy from a reputable seller, must have “iron clad” documentation and carefully confirm your purchase as being genuine and true the moment you receive it.
Please people, if buying on eBay, do so through eBay. If the seller encourages you to purchase “outside eBay” you have NO eBay protection and in fact the seller is breaking and asking you to break the big NO 1 rule. And NEVER EVER pay by “friends and family” as then you will have absolutely no recourse with PayPal either.
In any regard, “fake” Tiffany not withstanding, $6,500 was a fair price for a 1.06 H colour VS2 clarity diamond in a Platinum setting. But of course, you were buying the “Tiffany” name and that fact is disputable.
And if you are desiring the Tiffany experience (and you are paying a premium for that) have the full Tiffany experience and go into the store and try them on and buy your fabulous ring sparkly and new.

Is there any chance we can talk privately since you have so much experience? I don’t see a way here to send you a pm

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everybody. You been tremendous help for me. This week I will go to Tiffany store and look what they have to offer. With vet discount we might found a carat for reasonable price. If no I will go to pre loved again but I will be very careful with my choices now and look at all paperwork which comes with it. Thank you so much agaon❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

That’s great to hear! Please also make sure to try on some solitaires in the 0.9-0.99ct range, the visual difference is minimal, but you will be able to save on cost. Again, you can always upgrade in the future if purchased directly through the retailer.

Additionally and more importantly, please look for a diamond with the below cut recommendations to ensure that the diamond will perform well.

Table: 53-58
Depth: 60-62.4 (no more than that, because the stone will face up smaller)
Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

My advice would be to call the boutique in advance and tell them what you are looking for so they can bring in some options. Give them the desired cut measurements as well.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any chance we can talk privately since you have so much experience? I don’t see a way here to send you a pm
Hi, I have a listing on Loupe Troop for some Tanzanite melee under “loose gemstones”. PRicescope doesn’t like the sharing of email / contacts on this forum. Cheers

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at this one on eBay item 252622850486.
It’s a Tiffany ring, 1.05 carats I VS2.
It’s a $7,925 but you could message the seller and offer $7,500.
The difference with this listing (to the other one) is that it has all the correct paperwork and if you look at the hallmarks, the “donut hole” and the prongs you will see that they are exactly like the photos MikiMoto (our resident Tiffany expert) posted up of how they should look.
People can and do genuine Tiffany rings on eBay, it’s just a matter of knowing what to look for.

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi! I'm the seller of the 1.33 HVS1 on loupetroop and available to to answer any questions privately (as I don't want to violate any PS policies!), I just responded to the LT message which unfortunately went to my spam folder.
The older Pinkie621 post was also me but that was about a different ring. I am a frequent buyer of preloved Tiffany too.

Some jewelers do rhodium dip platinum rings, or at least the jeweler I use in Manhattan does, AY Jewelery. Is this an unusual practice? He has done it to several of my pieces including a family heirloom, and it makes them look brand new.
The setting is platinum, not white gold.

Also there's no blue border on the certificate because it's a photocopy and that's why the ring is priced so low. I know lack of original Tiffany cert is a big red flag. I am not the ring's original owner, but I have no doubts about its autenthicity.

Please delete if I am violating any PS policy. I just wanted to "defend" myself. I am not a frequent poster but I have been reading PS for many many years and I have great respect for the community; I hope this doesn't offend anyone or violate the rules.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@gemshow Hi! I would suggest you take your ring back to Tiffany to get it serviced and cleaned vs a local jeweler if you can. Tiffany does not rhodium plate their platinum. As a general statement, rhodium plating is for white gold, not platinum. I would suggest you take the rhodium plating off the Tiffany ring, but that is just my two cents.

Good luck!

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi Miki Moto,
The Tiffany ring is not rhodium plated, I was talking about another ring. I'm sorry if I was unclear. I was merely stating that the ring could be rhodium plated as some jewelers do, to make it look brand new. As we all know, Platinum tends to get dull and I was merely stating that it is an option, but thank you for your suggestion.

@gemshow Hi! I would suggest you take your ring back to Tiffany to get it serviced and cleaned vs a local jeweler if you can. Tiffany does not rhodium plate their platinum. As a general statement, rhodium plating is for white gold, not platinum. I would suggest you take the rhodium plating off the Tiffany ring, but that is just my two cents.

Good luck!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
48C3A5B2-8C8B-4858-84FF-8DAC36320B4E.jpeg A23626C3-84A1-4D38-B95F-4F86D610F250.jpeg Ok it’s probably last one I post here for experts. I came across this one. Seems like it got paperwork and accept returns. Sellers history shows very expensive Tiffany pieces being sold (19k)

Tiffany & Co 1.20 ct Platinum Round Cut Diamond Solitaire Engagement Ring 3EX https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263614412199

You can’t tell anything about the cut of the stone. I would ask for a clear copy of the certificate. They can hide the numbers.

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
You can’t tell anything about the cut of the stone. I would ask for a clear copy of the certificate. They can hide the numbers.
9872C028-A88C-4FA1-8E03-27B490240C69.png

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
FD8D4492-FB45-4157-9E4A-1D274FE1D09C.png D07E36D2-40B1-4C86-A721-0DEAD0EBBD6F.png DF26708E-7221-4261-82A6-0BF6A3ADAAF8.png 711FE36E-B5FB-4D19-B51A-8A9412AABA19.png E85FC954-A46A-4A91-B3CA-012E8F300FFB.png Here’s some more pic of this ring

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What that means ? I really understand nothing about rings

It means that the angles of the stones are not complimentary and it is not something worth $10k because the stone will not perform optimally. What I shared yesterday are the parameters where you should aim to be. I think that it might be beneficial for you to spend some time learning about diamonds in preparation for your T&Co visit. Try on different sizes in person, decide if you want new or used and go from there.

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
It means that the angles of the stones are not complimentary and it is not something worth $10k because the stone will not perform optimally. What I shared yesterday are the parameters where you should aim to be. I think that it might be beneficial for you to spend some time learning about diamonds in preparation for your T&Co visit. Try on different sizes in person, decide if you want new or used and go from there.

But does it looks like authentic Tiffany ?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to explain a few things here about cut.
Most ordinary people don’t know much if anything about cut.
People see size, people see big black carbon inclusions and some people see yellow toning (as colour goes down it gets more yellowish) but cut is a mystery to most.
There’s a post on show me the bling with a video - “I call it Asschmerald”
This is the best way to show why cut is so important and what a Fabulous cut means.
You might go “wow, but I’ve never seen a diamond look like that” and that’s because most people don’t understand cut and get sold diamonds based on other parameters. And that’s fine, but I think it’s important to show you what a great cut means, you can decide if it’s an important criteria to you.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! You have received a lot of great input on how to look for a used Tiffany, how to buy on eBay, and what specs to look for.

The best thing to do to see what you like is to go to Tiffany. In the simplest views, look at the size you like, the "sparkle" of each ring as every diamond is unique and will sparkly differently, and the color to see if your eyes are sensitive to any "yellow". For clarity, as Tiffany only goes as low as VS2, I personally would not focus on clarity as a high priority, and to save money, I would focus on VS2.

I see you want at minimum 1.0 carat and not even a 0.99ct. I completely understand that. It was the same for me, carat weight was my number one priority, and I had to hit a magic number.

You will not get a brand new 1.0 carat for $11K. But may I suggest this... call Tiffany and ask them for the cheapest 1.0 carat stones. Ask for those that are I/VS2. That is the lowest Tiffany sells, but the idea here is to see what is the cheapest price range for a 1.0ct stone. For example, there is a huge different between a I/VS2 and a G/VVS1. You can then at least see the lower price point for 1.0 carat stones, factor in your 10% military discount, and then decide if you can increase your budget a little more to get that 1.0 carat new ring. Then, have them do a second search... ask them what is the largest size stone you can you get for $11K (they have all this inventory online so the SA can search and sort). Now you will have two data points to compare and think about.

I did exactly the same... I had a carat size I had to hit (must hit, deal breaker if I could not get that size) and I had a budget in mind. Well... of course the two never matches, but you can decide if you are willing to go up in budget or go down in size. And you will have those two price points to help you in your budgeting and decision.

Finally, on purchasing a used Tiffany...
For me, I am not that experienced to be able to buy a genuine Tiffany on eBay. I wish I was like the eBay guru @Bron357. But I am not. I want real Tiffany pieces, so it is worth the extra money to me to purchase my Tiffany pieces new from the boutique.

Sorry for the long post... I hope this was helpful.

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
It’s not long and I’m glad I’m not the only silly person who consider .99 deal breaker. I prob will drive to Tiffany on Wednesday and see what they have. Also I still keep in mind that one ebay ring so far the only bad thing being said about it it’s too steep. Which isn’t a deal breaker for me. Probably should be but isn’t. Thank you so much for all helpful inputs. This forum been incredible helpful. I’m so glad I got on here

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Der3ka My only advice is this: Please don’t jump just because it says Tiffany & Co.

Tiffany is incredibly good at one thing and that’s marketing a product to make money. Just because it has the name doesn’t mean it’s the best. Some Tiffany diamonds will be better “performers” than others, so you do want to look at cut, as well as the angles to try to get a sparkly beauty. I would hate for you to buy a diamond just for the T&Co. name stamp and be underwhelmed by the diamond itself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results