shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with Tiffany ring

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
8B022617-23A7-4B73-A915-C1DECC325B54.png
:confused:Well my long dream of Tiffany ring finally came thru my boyfriend bought me one of ebay. And after reading about 20 topics here about fake Tiffany and fake Tiffany marks I got all worried now. Maybe somebody can help me. It seems good to me. Except the mark Inside saying c Tiffany &co. Here’s the listing
First I was hoping to take it to the store and get it checked but now I read what they don’t check jewelry anymore. Also I don’t have it yet and seller offer 14 days no questions ask return my question is if I take it somewhere to get authenticity will jeweler be able to tell if it’s real Tiffany or not ? I don’t know anything about diamonds so it’s really hard to me.
Thank you so much in advance. Love & hugs
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283006027474

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
:confused:Well my long dream of Tiffany ring finally came thru my boyfriend bought me one of ebay. And after reading about 20 topics here about fake Tiffany and fake Tiffany marks I got all worried now. Maybe somebody can help me. It seems good to me. Except the mark Inside saying c Tiffany &co. Here’s the listing
First I was hoping to take it to the store and get it checked but now I read what they don’t check jewelry anymore. Also I don’t have it yet and seller offer 14 days no questions ask return my question is if I take it somewhere to get authenticity will jeweler be able to tell if it’s real Tiffany or not ? I don’t know anything about diamonds so it’s really hard to me.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283006027474
Also I forgot to mention the price we paid is 6500 they say after they have buyer they change price to still keep posting. I don’t know

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, I went to that seller's store, and their other listed Tiffany ring looks fake so I don't believe you will get what you are buying. See their other fake looking listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co...653354?hash=item41d6aec9aa:g:kQoAAMXQNiRRmvGZ

This seller doesn't seem trustworthy at all.

Instead, how about this ring: https://www.goodoldgold.com/estate/0-90ct-fvs2-tiffany-engagement-ring

It's been vetted by a trusted dealer and definitely authentic, close to 1ct, and still less than 10k.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany's won't 'authenticate' per se, but you could go to customer service and ask to get the ring polished and they will only accept if it's real. They're not allowed to say something is fake, but they will decline if it is.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EBay's policy on counterfeit products is pretty strict. I bought what was represented as a genuine Cartier love bracelet. The picture was very good. The product I received was a bad copy....not even gold. The seller refused to take it back. eBay refunded my money and dealt with the seller.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following up on @SimoneDi 's post, here's a photo of what you should expect to see on the inside of the shank (on the other side of the head from the company's and PT 950 stamps):
inside of Tiffany shank.png
The string of numbers preceding the carat weight should be a partial repeat of the Diamond Registration Number that appears at the top of a Tiffany Diamond Certificate -- but there's apparently no Tiffany Diamond Certificate for the ring your BF purchased.

berries

Rough_Rock
Rocks is right. I received a counterfeit item and Ebay gave the seller a chance to make things right. If they don't within a couple days, Ebay refunds your money and you keep the item. Good luck!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've got multiple pieces from T&Co and this feels wrong to me. As it happens I am wearing an etolie solitaire on my middle finger today. When I purchased the ring it came not just with the GIA papers but a leather folder with the T&Co diamond paperwork as well.
I know eBay can seem like a place to find a great deal, but I would pass on this ring. If you want the real deal and cannot afford to go to the source check more reputable second hand places like OakGem, 1st Dibs etc. If you just like the style WF, BGD, Wink and JA all do nice versions of this ring and that way you can pink an ideal cut diamond as well.

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
I asked seller for a picture of serial number. So far I’m still waiting. I asked last night. There’s no picture of serial number on the listing

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I would return the ring. The hallmark shows is not the font Tiffany uses, and I’ve seen fakes on eBay with that type font.

In addition to what others have said....in the eBay photos...
The hole underneath the head looks too big. The hole is really a tiny hole.
The prongs on the head are off. The bottom of Tiffany’s prong have an open “triangle” space and then the prong itself is etched until you get to almost the top of the prong.

I hope this helps.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, Tiffany always provides a separate cerficate on top of a GIA report.

As for serial number, the serial number of the stone matching the ring setting does not mean much to me without the Tiffany certificate. I can take a GIA certified stone, make up a fake Tiffany and inscribe the serial number to the shank. It does not mean it is Tiffany diamond ring. I am sure you know that but just in case. The mounting itself looks to fake to me and therefore the entire ring, regardless of serial numbers.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
741DAAE5-16D3-41AF-895A-4A387B199641.jpeg 685F519F-0798-4CF9-9EA0-6FBA0B2FC023.png Here are two photos to help you....

The top photo is an authentic Tiffany. The bottom photo is the eBay ring. Do you see what I mean about the prongs? The Tiffany prongs to me is art. =)2

EDITED: And see how tiny the hole is? The eBay ring’s hole is too big.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• EBE86CE3-FA7C-4414-8A91-4785EE6BCA7E.png
    EBE86CE3-FA7C-4414-8A91-4785EE6BCA7E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • E1A1FE0C-86E5-4A45-8765-EE516D708EBA.jpeg
    E1A1FE0C-86E5-4A45-8765-EE516D708EBA.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 36

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
8F6D7C70-0194-4255-BB4B-AF12488C135F.png 05987847-0A89-416D-932E-6C2B8AA00ECE.png
Here are two photos to help you....

The top photo is an authentic Tiffany. The bottom photo is the eBay ring. Do you see what I mean about the prongs? The Tiffany prongs to me is art. =)2

EDITED: And see how tiny the hole is? The eBay ring’s hole is too big.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

What about this one. It’s a different posting but the hole looks big too
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252622850486

Attachments

• D83F97C9-8F0D-47B9-9033-07BA51CCAB62.png
    D83F97C9-8F0D-47B9-9033-07BA51CCAB62.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 27

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
Could I ask you one more question. How does it work if I would take to to Tiffany for a cleaning what do I need to have ? How does it works could somebody explain step by step? Like literally step one walk in the store lol

I never been at Tiffany and closest one like 400 miles away but I’m willing to drive

Do I just walk and say hey I want ring cleaned no questions asked ? Or they will ask me for paperwork? Do I need to make an appointment for that? Do they take it if it’s fake ? Do they call cops ? Could somebody please tell me step by step

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
Also if I take it for appraisal would they be able to tell it’s tiffany or not ? Does Tiffany diamonds have engraved serial number on them or not always

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You take the ring and ask for it to be cleaned and buffed. They will either accept the ring or not as authentic. If authentic, they do their thing. If not, they hand it back to you and you go on your way.

Prior to 2004, Tiffany did not mark their diamonds. After 2004, they marked a crown facet (not girdle) and you will need at least 30x to see it. But, there is nothing to prevent an unscrupulous seller from also lasering a diamond with a number.

Serial numbers were placed on the shanks only since around 2000.

But, I'm with the others, the ring is not genuine. Look at the font. The kerneling between the letters is off. There is too little space on the Ebay ring between letters. Also, the font on the EBAY ring is too tall relative to the shank. Tiffany sizes their font to be fully visible in the center of the shank. The Ebay font is spilling off the top. @Miki Moto's examples show the same.
upload_2018-6-16_16-33-16.png

(The size of the hole number a diamond will vary with the size of the diamond sometimes. I don't know if Tiffany varies those.)

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
The mounting itself looks to fake to me and therefore the entire ring, regardless of serial numbers.

You have a great answer in Miki Moto's post . . .

I wouldn't spend anymore time or money on this ring.

If you want a replica keep the e-bay find if you want the real thing return what was purchased on e-bay and buy from a more reputable dealer.

Two suggestions were given: one from GOG and one from loop troop

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also if I take it for appraisal would they be able to tell it’s tiffany or not ? Does Tiffany diamonds have engraved serial number on them or not always

Tiffany does not appraise unless you are the original owner or if the owner comes with you do they can look up the purchase. The SA told me because they were getting so many requests for authentication, and they are not an authentcation nor appraisal business. You get an appraisal wen you purchase your items and you can get refreshes for your appraisal for insurance purposes. This was the rule, but you can also call and check to verify. Be sure to tell them you are not the owner so you don’t waste your time. If the eBay person is the original owner (or knows that person), ask if they would authorize.

Yes... Tiffany inscribes their stones with the Tiffany certificate number, not the GIA number. Also, Tiffany no longer issues a free GIA report along with the Tiffany certificate for smaller stones. You get the official Tiffany report, but you have to pay extra to get the GIA report.

Please call Tiffany though to get their guidelines as I am sure it gets updated all the time.

I hope that was helpful.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. The GIA diamond that tracks to that QR code is 6252977732. The grading was issued on June 8, 2017. If that is the diamond in the setting, its not well cut and I would not select it personally. Please do not keep this ring...

upload_2018-6-16_16-43-9.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a bit confused here. If you bought this ring for $6,500 how come the eBay listing is still current and the price is $10,000?
Has he actually bought and paid for the ring through eBay?
If he has proceeded with an “off eBay transaction” and sent money any other way than through PayPal as an eBay purchase, you could be in trouble.
Even if you have done an off eBay transaction, “illegal” for sellers btw ie strictly against eBay policy as it means they get no fees, he should have ended the listing. The ring is sold after all.
Red flags for me is there being no photos of the other side of the ring where the carat weight and Tiffany serial number appear. Also, if someone is going to the effort of keeping the Tiffany carry bag, why on earth didn’t they keep the official and important Tiffany paperwork?
Also the seller has all his transactions set to private, I don’t like that. You can’t see what other items he has been selling.
If your bf has paid already and it wasn’t via eBay, and it was sent “family and friends” to secure the bargain price of $6,500, I’d be very very concerned.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a bit confused here. If you bought this ring for $6,500 how come the eBay listing is still current and the price is $10,000?
If he has proceeded with an “off eBay transaction” and sent money any other way than through PayPal as an eBay purchase, you could be in trouble.
Even if you have done an off eBay transaction, “illegal” for sellers btw, he should have ended the listing. The ring is sold after all.
Red flags for me is there being no photos of the other side of the ring where the carat weight and Tiffany serial number appear. Also, if someone is going to the effort of keeping the Tiffany carry bag, why on earth didn’t they keep the official and important Tiffany paperwork?
Also the seller has all his transactions set to private, I don’t like that. You can’t see what other items he has been selling.
If your bf has paid already and it wasn’t via eBay, and it was sent “family and friends” to secure the bargain price of $6,500, I’d be very very concerned.

Excellent sleuth work! I was so fixated on the ring I missed this!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto just wanted to say PS is lucky to have Tiffany experience and expertise like yours. Pearls, too ::) thank you for contributing on here!

Der3ka

Rough_Rock
:cry2:
Even if you have done an off eBay transaction, “illegal” for sellers btw ie strictly against eBay policy as it means they get no fees, he should have ended the listing. The ring is sold after all.

I’m concerned my friends :( Very concerned othervise I wouldn’t be here. Yes it was off eBay thru PayPal. So still gets about same protection since it was a detailed invoice. More likely I will be returning this ring and once I get it I will post very detailed pictures which I’m more likely won’t even be needed because I’m convinced it’s fake. Oh well lesson learned. My plan is to stop by Tiffany since we going on vacation anyway and asked to be cleaned. More likely will get denied. Oh well learned lesson now. Thank you everybody for you help it was just last piece for me because I already had doubt. Sad sad panda :( :cry2:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I may suggest... do not take it to Tiffany. There is no point in doing so. Whether they clean it or not makes no difference. You need to tell the seller now you want a refund and mail it back.

I don’t think Tiffany does this, but I know if you have a fake Chanel bag, they will confiscate it and you will lose the bag. I doubt Tiffany will do this and most likely, they will just clean the ring and return it. But why even do that? Why risk anything on an item you are returning?

I would send the ring back as soon as possible. Maybe the seller has not shipped... can you email the seller now? Number one priority for me would be to get the money back. There is no need to post anymore pictures.

I am sorry this happened to you. I wish you good luck and hope all turns out ok.

EDIT: And please do not take this ring with you on vacation. Not a good idea!

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Miki Moto. As it appears that you have not received the ring yet, I would contact the seller and say that you have changed your mind, you don’t want the ring. It is much easier to process a refund prior to having an item shipped. There are also other things that can happen with returning valuable items via the postal office, or having the seller indicate that “they never received the item”. Do you really want to risk going through that? As other posters pointed, the diamond is not even a well cut stone. IMO it is really not worth the hassle.
To add to what other posters have said, T&Co. recently cleaned a couple of bands that I have from them and they also offered to clean my e-ring which is not a T&Co ring, so having them clean the ring is not a certain confirmation that the ring is legit. The more I look at the pictures, the more obvious the differences are compared to a genuine T&Co ring. Save yourself the trouble, request a refund ASAP.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On eBay, the seller says to text. Area code is 704, so that looks to be in NC. I would definitely text the seller. There are 5 watchers so my guess is the seller will refund your money.

Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Miki Moto and @SimoneDi. Tiffany will likely simply clean the ring for you, which tells you nothing. They will refuse to service an inauthentic piece - this is what that type of servicing looks like:

1. A sales associate will examine the piece in store and, if he/she feels there would be value in doing so, will account it for shipment out to an offsite workshop. You will receive a ticket for your submission. This ticket does not in any way assert authenticity.
2. Some weeks later you will receive a letter from Tiffany with an appraisal of what can be done/fixed/altered and a price quote, and you may choose to proceed or have the piece returned unaltered. This letter explicitly specifies that it does not in any way assert authenticity.
3. Some weeks after that, assuming the piece is authentic, you will receive another notification indicating that your piece is ready for pickup at your store. You’ll pay, and you’ll get a servicing receipt - this is confirmation of authenticity. At this point it has been several weeks and you’re at minimum out a few hundred dollars. I don’t know what they would do with an inauthentic piece - I wouldn’t want to find out!

Return it immediately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results