shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with metal selection

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty - it sounds like you've picked the right vendor for your needs and priorities! And I honestly think there isn't a consumer on this board who would want to dissuade another consumer from that :appl:

I look forward to seeing your project come to fruition :sun: it will be beautiful! The two things I'm wondering about are
A) The minimum width that would be necessary for engraving, which we've already brought up, and
B) Whether the satin finish could be evenly applied to the underside of the ring for visual continuity - in between the splits, etc. or if a different textured finish might be preferable.?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I can't be of much help, but goodness those inspiration pics are amazing!

I'm a pear wearer, too -- and I can't wait to see what you end up with! Very, very exciting!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1451670738|3969309 said:
Tyty - it sounds like you've picked the right vendor for your needs and priorities! And I honestly think there isn't a consumer on this board who would want to dissuade another consumer from that :appl:

I look forward to seeing your project come to fruition :sun: it will be beautiful! The two things I'm wondering about are
A) The minimum width that would be necessary for engraving, which we've already brought up, and
Yes, definitely worried about this. Hopefully, DK will say it's possible. If not, I would probably go with a thinner
milgrained bar. Just anything/something to add interest.

B) Whether the satin finish could be evenly applied to the underside of the ring for visual continuity - in between the splits, etc. or if a different textured finish might be preferable.?Another good point. I did ask DK if they could even apply a satin finish to a
rounded band. Did not get a specific answer back on that. I think the answer to that is yes because I did find an example, but
the split/scroll area might be an issue. Can you think of any other textures that you know could be applied on rounded/split areas?

Hi alamana :wavey: Thanks for the kind words...I hope it works out too. Stay posted for future updates!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1451671798|3969314 said:
Yes, definitely worried about this. Hopefully, DK will say it's possible. If not, I would probably go with a thinner
milgrained bar. Just anything/something to add interest.
I know what you're getting at - and certainly something will be doable, fingers are crossed for an okay on the engraving of a thinner basket!

B) Whether the satin finish could be evenly applied to the underside of the ring for visual continuity - in between the splits, etc. or if a different textured finish might be preferable.?Another good point. I did ask DK if they could even apply a satin finish to a
rounded band. Did not get a specific answer back on that. I think the answer to that is yes because I did find an example, but
the split/scroll area might be an issue. Can you think of any other textures that you know could be applied on rounded/split areas?

I don't know I'm afraid! Just brought it up as something to possibly bring up. I'm guessing it depends on how the texture is applied - if it's by hand with a small tool it seems like this is much less likely to be a concern. Or perhaps he'd cast the shank/splits in multiple pieces and (partially?) pre-finish them..?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie brought up a good point about getting the satin finish on the curved/split area. I decided to come up with a contingency
plan just in case it can't be done.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know...

img_20160102_140519154_hdr.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results