shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with e-ring design (with lots of pics!!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A cast design is not as detailed, distinct or as well defined.

They cast the mold, THEN polish it. So imagine having a design and needing to polish over that.

Hang engraving is applied after the piece is finished. So the engraving isn't polished over, so the lines are more distinct.

It's like the difference between a real tattoo and a press on.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
ahh, I get it thanks! obviously with a crisper edge (from hand engraving) you can have greater detail. I can see that making all the difference.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
For the milgrain, if they were to cast it, would the dots/balls likely be larger, and then after casting they have to polish so all the balls would lose their definition? Whereas with hand milgrain work, the balls could be smaller/more delicate and they would be more defined because they are not polished after being put on?

Is that right?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, most cast milgrain tend to be a bit lumpy or blobby whilst there is better definition when milgrained after. Again, this will depend on the skill of the jeweller as well. It is akin to your question about engraving - there is better detail when done by hand.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
So i pressed on this tonight when I met with them....I think only because I pressed the milgrain will be done by hand...and by that they mean they will cast a fine edge, and they will roll over it with the millgrain tool. Not sure if that is true millgrain or if "true" milgrain is them doing each dot by hand one at a time or what?

Also, the engraving is going to be cast, and they will go over it with a tool by hand...but they are not casting a blank and adding all of the engraving by hand. Will this matter at all that they are going to go over it by hand or is it still just a cast piece?

I spoke a little tonight about the design and the milgrain and everything with the jeweler who will be doing the finishing work and I think I am a little more comfortable. I also emailed a couple places online (ERD BGD and greenlakejewelry) about their prices timelines process etc. I am thinking that maybe I could have gotten better quality if I had insisted on finding someone from the start who would do hand engraving (if I had realized the importance of that), and if I had been more comfortable with buying from a place online, but at this point, I would have to finalize a design with a new jeweler within a matter of days I believe in order for them to have the ring done by the date I am shooting for, and even that would be pushing it for them...and their prices with the hand engraving might break the budget...soo...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The milgrain sounds right. That's good.

The design, we'll have to see the finished product. :)

Fingers crossed for you.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help guys, I got the latest renderings this weekend....

deca_1216_v3_3d.jpg

deca_1216_v3_top.jpg

deca_1216_v3.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good! Are you happy?

Not to confuse you, but another option is you could always just mount the diamond in a plain solitaire and propose with that if you're not sure you want to go ahead with the current jeweler.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
I do like it. I have asked them for one more revision...to lose the borders around the side scrolls and maybe tweak the transition from the side scrolling to the claddagh hands... We will see what they come up with, but if those tweaks dont wind up working visually then I think I would be happy going with this ring.

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
So we finalized the design on 12/17. I spoke with the jeweler last week and apparently they have tried twice to have it cast but both of the castings have wound up with bubbles or something? Cant remember exactly what he said on the phone but he indicated platinum was a little more difficult of a metal to cast with and sometimes (maybe 1 in 10?) they had issues like this and it was surprising or unexpected to them it seemed that this had happened twice with my piece. They were sending it out again to two different places for new castings as of last week to increase the odds of someone getting it right but they expect to have it finished by this Friday...

Is this at all normal or should I be alarmed by this? (not that it matters at this stage in the game!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like the jeweler is doing the right thing by using someone else to cast it. Very pretty design!

(I didn't read the whole thread, but just in case no one else mentioned it, she will need an ultrasonic to clean this ring since she won't be able to reach all the sides of the diamond to clean it.)

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help with this process! They were delayed in making my ring due to holiday rush, and then had a couple of bad castings so I wound up not getting it in my hands until Friday afternoon (last week) and just popped the question on Saturday.

Ultimately I wanted to copy the vintage ring I had a picture of and add something to it/tweak it slightly. I dont think they quite delivered on that but the finished product still looks great, I am happy, and most importantly, the fiance LOVES IT.

(Picture of ring at the end)
http://www.nickmaccarthy.com/blog/she-said-yes-kate-and-chris-get-engaged-soldiers-and-sailors-memorial-hartford-ct/

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, congratulations!! Beautiful proposal and ring! Nicely done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results