shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on selecting Princess Cut

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
really can't tell without a picture or aset image.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
The .90 stone you posted is:

Cash Price $1,652
Credit Price: $1,686
Shape: Princess
Carat Weight: 0.90
Color: K
Clarity: Si1
Cut Grade: Good
Table %: 73.00
Depth %: 73.79
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick
Culet: N
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.21-5.16x3.81 Length/Width ratio: 1.01

this stone although .06 less in carat is actually bigger face up...and is an ideal cut.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1276108.asp

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
not to mention- the james allen stone is better clarity- bigger face up size, and same color- but ideal cut- so the color will be much whiter than the K you listed.

it's also 400 less.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
the james allen K is:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.84
Cut: Ideal
Color: K
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 70.7%
Table: 67.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Extremely thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.34*5.12*3.62 Ratio: 1.04

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks Amy.

I see what you're saying. Wow, a lot of little details that make a difference. This is a lot harder that I thought..

Is James Allen the best place to buy GIA online?

ac75

Rough_Rock
Also, is a trick to making a stone look bigger, going w/a bigger table, but still keeping it at an ideal cut?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
No, actually, a bigger table will not make the face-up size appear larger. In fact, a table less than the depth is preferable in princesses.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291154563|2783285 said:
Thanks Amy.

I see what you're saying. Wow, a lot of little details that make a difference. This is a lot harder that I thought..

Is it the best? that is matter of opinion. I keep showing you james allen stones and white flash stones because you can sen actual pictures of the stone you are buying. When buying a fancy cut diamond, seeing the stone in a picture and or ASET is key to knowing you are buying a well cut stone.

If yuo wife likes the "size" of the .90 you found -the .84 is actually bigger than that.

Keep in mind- princess stones will show more color than a RB- and a poorly cut-fiar cut- good cut princess will show even more color.

K cut princess will show some "butteriness" tint in it- even an ideal cut---- but a good cut K will look more tinted.

ac75

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1291156555|2783327 said:
No, actually, a bigger table will not make the face-up size appear larger. In fact, a table less than the depth is preferable in princesses.
Ok, so what makes the .84 look bigger than a .90?

ac75

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1291159591|2783425 said:
ac75|1291154563|2783285 said:
Thanks Amy.

Is it the best? that is matter of opinion. I keep showing you james allen stones and white flash stones because you can sen actual pictures of the stone you are buying. When buying a fancy cut diamond, seeing the stone in a picture and or ASET is key to knowing you are buying a well cut stone.

If yuo wife likes the "size" of the .90 you found -the .84 is actually bigger than that.

Keep in mind- princess stones will show more color than a RB- and a poorly cut-fiar cut- good cut princess will show even more color.

K cut princess will show some "butteriness" tint in it- even an ideal cut---- but a good cut K will look more tinted.
Ok. Well my wife also likes the round, so maybe that will be a better choice for what we want to spend..

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291160333|2783444 said:
jstarfireb|1291156555|2783327 said:
Ok, so what makes the .84 look bigger than a .90?

its a combination of table- depth, etc. The .84ct has a depth of 70% while the .90ct has a depth of 73%. the .84ct is not bigger in carat weight but it faces up larger. THis is because it is idealy cut, while the .90ct is only a good cut. The good cut is not cut to ideal porportions and therefore it has a larger depth % than it should for it's table and overall size.

If your main concern is how big the stone is going to look-
1. make a list of stones that are ideal-excellent cut as these are going to be pretty much the faceup size they should be- poor-fair-good cut stones will either be too shallow or too deep- or a mess inside witht he chevron patterning...

2. out of your list of stone LOOK at the mm sizes to see how big these stone are face up.

3. then out of your "biggest" face-up stones, take into consideration color and clarity. If going to I graded clarity you risk it being "dirty" like the last stone.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure your wife is going for a cut of diamond that she truly wants and desires. I think it would be a mistake to buy a round because you can get a bigger-better quality one if truly deep down her favorite cut is princess.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1291160695|2783459 said:
its a combination of table- depth, etc. The .84ct has a depth of 70% while the .90ct has a depth of 73%. the .84ct is not bigger in carat weight but it faces up larger. THis is because it is idealy cut, while the .90ct is only a good cut. The good cut is not cut to ideal porportions and therefore it has a larger depth % than it should for it's table and overall size.

If your main concern is how big the stone is going to look-
1. make a list of stones that are ideal-excellent cut as these are going to be pretty much the faceup size they should be- poor-fair-good cut stones will either be too shallow or too deep- or a mess inside witht he chevron patterning...

2. out of your list of stone LOOK at the mm sizes to see how big these stone are face up.

3. then out of your "biggest" face-up stones, take into consideration color and clarity. If going to I graded clarity you risk it being "dirty" like the last stone.
Ok, so if I make the list of ideal cuts, how can you tell which will have the biggest face up? Multiply length x width?

And that's why the .84 will have a bigger face up than the .90? Because the L x W is bigger, plus it's an ideal cut?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Exactly...face-up size depends on dimensions (i.e. area), but the visual perception of diamond size is affected by light return.

+1 for sticking with the cut your girl likes. I'm a princess lover, and my husband knew it. I would have been somewhat disappointed if he had bought a round instead (to the extent that it's possible to be disappointed with a beautiful diamond engagement ring!).

ac75

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1291167960|2783617 said:
Exactly...face-up size depends on dimensions (i.e. area), but the visual perception of diamond size is affected by light return.

+1 for sticking with the cut your girl likes. I'm a princess lover, and my husband knew it. I would have been somewhat disappointed if he had bought a round instead (to the extent that it's possible to be disappointed with a beautiful diamond engagement ring!).
Haha.. gotcha!

She said she likes both, but I would guess she prefers the PC as well. :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1291167960|2783617 said:

YEP! right... the L*W dimensions will tell you how big the stone faces up (looks)...

Measurements: 5.34*5.12*3.62 --- so look at measurements... this stone is 5.34*5.12 use those numbers to compare the stones.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1291175470|2783766 said:
Thanks for posting those.

I remember seeing that IF. If it was just an SI1-G or H instead lol...Argh.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
G/H SI1 and in the range of .85-1ct with ideal/premium cut is a great princess stone, but it looks like in order to get those qualities, you will need to either increase the budget (which I don't reccommend spending mre than you can afford/are comfortable with), or something has to give,

Cut- Ideal/Premium- As many, many others on this thread have said- in a princess, cut is not something you want to lower and skimp on. A poorly cut princess will be dead looking- no sparkle, no flash.

Clarity- SI1 or even an eyeclean to your wife's standards is great, you don't have to go VS or VVS to get a clean looking stone. So you reall can't safely go below an SI1 or S12 and get a clean stone-

Color- G/H in an ideal cut is a vrey nice white princess! Issue is, if you want to get to .80 or .85 or higher, looks like you have to drop in color. How low you are willing to drop is up to you and your wife and what you are comfortable with. Many PSers have I or even J stones and love them- keep in mind these people also have ideal-premium cut so the color looks whiter.

Carat- like color, looks like it's another area of give and take... if you really want an I or higher color- you will prob have to go below ,85ct to get that, if carat is more important, then you will prob need to go J-K in color to get a bigger stone.

SLG reccommended great stones- and gave good advice. Decide where you are going to lower your standard.... look at the reccommended stones, pick your top 3 and request ASET images. once you have those images, post them and educated PSers can advice you which cut will look the best.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are looking for ideal cut- SI2 or better clarity- and J or higher color here are the options in your price range.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1339877.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1330436.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1344759.asp

this one does not appear to be eyeclean..
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1182859.asp

if looking to stay at .80 ct- ideal cut- SI2 clarity or better- J or better color

no options in price range at jamesallen, whiteflash, or BGD

if looking to stay to stay at .75ct-.80ct premium cut, SI2 or better clarity- and J or better color here are the options in price range
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1087924.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1334267.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1344360.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1309725.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1330444.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1330438.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1188428.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1289706.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1310921.asp

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys! I feel i'm going to owe you guys a commission as well for helping me look. ;-)

ac75

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1291209692|2783996 said:
G/H SI1 and in the range of .85-1ct with ideal/premium cut is a great princess stone, but it looks like in order to get those qualities, you will need to either increase the budget (which I don't reccommend spending mre than you can afford/are comfortable with), or something has to give,

Cut- Ideal/Premium- As many, many others on this thread have said- in a princess, cut is not something you want to lower and skimp on. A poorly cut princess will be dead looking- no sparkle, no flash.

Clarity- SI1 or even an eyeclean to your wife's standards is great, you don't have to go VS or VVS to get a clean looking stone. So you reall can't safely go below an SI1 or S12 and get a clean stone-

Color- G/H in an ideal cut is a vrey nice white princess! Issue is, if you want to get to .80 or .85 or higher, looks like you have to drop in color. How low you are willing to drop is up to you and your wife and what you are comfortable with. Many PSers have I or even J stones and love them- keep in mind these people also have ideal-premium cut so the color looks whiter.

Carat- like color, looks like it's another area of give and take... if you really want an I or higher color- you will prob have to go below ,85ct to get that, if carat is more important, then you will prob need to go J-K in color to get a bigger stone.

SLG reccommended great stones- and gave good advice. Decide where you are going to lower your standard.... look at the reccommended stones, pick your top 3 and request ASET images. once you have those images, post them and educated PSers can advice you which cut will look the best.

Very good info!

We've looked at about 15 diamonds in the stores, and most of the them were EGL, some not certified. There were a few we liked that appeared "eye clean". They were listed as I1, some I2, so and I in color, so I'm thinking what we liked may actually be J-K in GIA stones. There was an I-I2 we liked at Helzberg, but it was $3k. Waaay too much for that kind of stone. We also saw some I-I2s that were terrible. Those were at Ultra Diamonds, and Kay. $2000.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291239440|2784428 said:
Thank you guys! I feel i'm going to owe you guys a commission as well for helping me look. ;-)

the only thing you owe us is pictures of the finished ring :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291241940|2784463 said:
Amys Bling|1291209692|2783996 said:

Very good info!

We've looked at about 15 diamonds in the stores, and most of the them were EGL, some not certified. There were a few we liked that appeared "eye clean". They were listed as I1, some I2, so and I in color, so I'm thinking what we liked may actually be J-K in GIA stones. There was an I-I2 we liked at Helzberg, but it was $3k. Waaay too much for that kind of stone. We also saw some I-I2s that were terrible. Those were at Ultra Diamonds, and Kay. $2000.

If you were looking at EGL I colored stones- an Ideal cut GIA J-K will look better! The ideal cut will make the J-K color whiter and you can probably expect the EGL I stone to actually be a J-K GIA stone grade. If the I I2 you saw wasn't ideal cut- then you pretty much have an idea that a J or K ideal cut will look better in terms of color and sparkle than what you saw and liked.

I think 3,000 is way toooo much for an I I2! For 3 grand you can get a much nicer stone than that! As for ultra and Kay- at least Kay- many people here would advise against them as their qualit isn't the best. Like you saw for yourself- I I2 EGL and prob terrible in cut.

crispykate

Rough_Rock
I just joined now just to write this post. I just got engaged and was given a budget to spend to I have been educating and searching. I came across this site in a search and got sucked in to your story. Well I think I found a ring. Its on ebay and here is the info.

1.00 ct. Princess Cut Diamond Engagement Ring in14k White Gold

Excellent condition - 1.00 carat - Princess Cut Diamond SI-1 in clarity & "G" in color -

The stone is 5.0 mm in length & 4.8 mm is width - Ring size 5

They dont post table info but the photo looks good and its just under 2k and you can return!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00-ct-14k-Pri..._Fine_Rings&hash=item4aa397c517#ht_500wt_1156

Thought I would chip in to help.
Good luck!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like a nice ring- I would just be wary of cut quality. Maybe if you are interested you could contact seller for certificate information in order to get stats and info. Unfortunately- you wont be able to get Asets or anything so you take a chance on cut.

without a certificate though you are just taking the sellers word that the stats are G SI1. If there is a return policy you can take a chance. Many PSers have bought rings from pawn shops, ebay, etc...and have been more than pleased. Others have gotten the ring- had it appraised and found the color clarity and weight to be nothing what they were told. like me- I bought a J .60RB on ebay and it's actually in the range of M-N-O in color.

ac75

Rough_Rock
crispykate|1291249551|2784616 said:
I just joined now just to write this post. I just got engaged and was given a budget to spend to I have been educating and searching. I came across this site in a search and got sucked in to your story. Well I think I found a ring. Its on ebay and here is the info.

1.00 ct. Princess Cut Diamond Engagement Ring in14k White Gold

Excellent condition - 1.00 carat - Princess Cut Diamond SI-1 in clarity & "G" in color -

The stone is 5.0 mm in length & 4.8 mm is width - Ring size 5

They dont post table info but the photo looks good and its just under 2k and you can return!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00-ct-14k-Pri..._Fine_Rings&hash=item4aa397c517#ht_500wt_1156

Thought I would chip in to help.
Good luck!
Wow. Thank you for the help.

That is a nice ring. I sent him an email. If he doesn't have any info, maybe he'd be willing to ship to a local appraiser so it could be inspected. I think that is reasonable. If it is what it's advertised to be, I'd buy it. If not, I'd pay to ship it back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results