shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on selecting Princess Cut

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1291250324|2784633 said:
looks like a nice ring- I would just be wary of cut quality. Maybe if you are interested you could contact seller for certificate information in order to get stats and info. Unfortunately- you wont be able to get Asets or anything so you take a chance on cut.

without a certificate though you are just taking the sellers word that the stats are G SI1. If there is a return policy you can take a chance. Many PSers have bought rings from pawn shops, ebay, etc...and have been more than pleased. Others have gotten the ring- had it appraised and found the color clarity and weight to be nothing what they were told. like me- I bought a J .60RB on ebay and it's actually in the range of M-N-O in color.

Huge ditto. Just looking at the pic, I see it has a rather large table (and smaller tables generally make for more fire and sparkle). For me there are a lot of red flags here...uncertified diamond, pre-owned ring (since this is for an engagement ring...many women don't want to wear "someone else's ring" for their engagement ring), probably not great cut quality since probably 95% of princesses out there aren't well-cut...I don't particularly like the setting either, but that's personal preference. If you do end up going for it, be sure to ask if any inclusions are visible as it's an SI1.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, how do you even know it is a diamond, or 1 carat, or a G SI1? This would worry me, I would rather spend my $2k on a smaller, GIA certified diamond with more information about cut quality

crispykate

Rough_Rock
I think its tuff out there. It just depends on what you want the most. 1ct seems to be the top priority followed by it being a princess cut. Next up would be that it whiteish not brown or a bad yellow tied with clarity, no one wants a big black spot in there ring or a cloud. Last I think is the quality of cut. Thats just my observation. I maybe and probably am wrong. Anyways I hope it all works out.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I got a response from the seller:

Q:
"Hi, I am interested in the 1 ct diamond ring. Do you have any details
regarding the depth and table measurements, and cut? Is the ring certified
by anyone? What is the history of the ring? Thank you."

A:
"The diamond isn't certified by any gem lab like
the G.I.A. or E.G.L.. I am a certified gemologist from the GI.A.. A
customer traded it in for a larger diamond. The diamond is G in color and a
SI1 in clarity bordering on being a VS2 which is even a higher clarity
grade. The very small inclusion is white in color so would be difficult for
you to see under 10 power magnification. The diamond measures 5.0 by 4.8
in diameter which make the diamond deep. It faces up more like a .90ct
diamond. The way its mounted I can't get a depth measurement unless I
remove the diamond from the mounting so I can't supply you with the total
depth %. Just eyeing the table and crown area the table percentage has
to be right around 75% which is pretty normal,

Basically, this diamond is clean and very white with a normal crown and table percentages. It is a
pretty diamond. As I say, it talks to you ! When you look at it its very
lively. The only negative on the diamond is its a little deep and faces up
more like a .90ct than a one carat diamond. I have another Princess cut
diamond here that is loose,not mounted. It weighs 1.02ct and measures 5.49
by 5.41 in length and width which is more of a normal measurement for a one
carat diamond. Its has a certificate from the American International
Gemologist from Woodland Hill Ca. This diamond is a VVS2, I in color. Has
a 74.70 Total depth % and a 79% table. $2800. For the money difference I
still like the 1.00 ct one more. Let me know if you have any other
questions."

So, it seems the cut may fall into the fair to good category. Probably won't work for me.

After seeing better where I'm at. My requirements would be:

1. Cut
2. Carat
3. Color
4. Clarity

So now I'm looking for an ideal .90 G-I, SI1. I would even buy an SI2, or I1 if I could see in person. I read SI3 is not recognized by GIA so it's the same as an I1.

ac75

Rough_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291323840|2785420 said:
After seeing better where I'm at. My requirements would be:

1. Cut
2. Carat
3. Color
4. Clarity

So now I'm looking for an ideal .90 G-I, SI1. I would even buy an SI2, or I1 if I could see in person. I read SI3 is not recognized by GIA so it's the same as an I1.

I think you're making a really good choice in rethinking your priorities. You won't regret putting cut first. The problem is that now all of your parameters have gone up, so your budget will have to also...or you'll have to drop size or color in order to get something in your budget. I think your best bet is to look at Amy's suggestions from James Allen.

ETA: So...I went through Amy's picks and pulled up the ones that are about 5mm square, regardless of carat weight. These are my thoughts:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1191499.asp - either the photo is tilted or there's some leakage toward the bottom right of the table; otherwise a nice looking cut if you're willing to get a K
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1329447.asp - looks like some leakage under the table at the top and bottom in a figure-eight distribution, so I'd probably look elsewhere
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1276108.asp - K color and ask about where the girdle is "extremely thin" - this can be a breakage risk especially at the corners; as for cut, the pic isn't very well focused, so it's hard to tell
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1256179.asp - looks like some leakage in a star-shaped distribution under the table
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1253446.asp - leakage similar to the I/VVS1 above
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1339877.asp - still my top pic; looks like the best cut based on the pic alone, and J color is a good compromise
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1334267.asp - table greater than depth but that's not a hard and fast rule; this is worth looking into - cut looks nice

SO...if i had to pick 3 to narrow down and get ASETs for, it would be these 3:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1339877.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1334267.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1191499.asp

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
great job narrowing down Jstar! I agree, those look like the best options.

I think it will be near impossible to get G-H SI1 Ideal-premium and .90 carat for 1,800. Like Jstar said, if those the parameters you are sticking to, you will need to increase budget to get all those things.

Since you said cut and carat are the most important, I think looking for ideal-premium cut that is arund 5*5mm or slightly bigger is where to start.... and then see what comnbination of color and clarity your budget allows.

If you want to go the route of Ebay or second hand, you need to be wary- you need measurements as well as carat weight in order to see if the stone if "facing up" the appropriate size for it's carat weight- for starters- you will want to buy from someone who has an appraisal available- or you need to get it appraised independently and make sure they have a return policy in case it appraised way different than advertised. Like I said- I bought an antique "used" .60RB for fun on ebay from an estate dealer and it ened up being about 4 grades lower in color than advertised (I also pays close to nothing and its for a fun project so I don't mind. but if it was for my Ering I would have been disappointed. People on ebay can advertise whatever stats they want- and you take a chance in buying if there is no certificate avail for the diamond or at least a recent appraisal.

ac75

Rough_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would ask JA for the ASETs and to also evaluate the eye-cleanliness

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ac75 said:
Thanks guys!!!

For the price, I think I like this one the best
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1339877.asp

But, what is that at the bottom left corner?

And this one here. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1334267.asp

I thought SI1, or better, would be eye clean? I can see the black marks in the table w/out magnification. Would it be non visible in person?

The pictures are still maginified, even if you don't bring over the loop. The VS2 I wouldn't worry too much especially in that corner you are talking about as it'll get covered or near covered by prongs if they are carbon spot. Anyways, I'm pretty sure this stone will blow any of the other stones you have looked at.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1291408067|2786577 said:
Hmmm...

What do you guys think of this

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1174382.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

vs

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1191499.asp

The first one fits my requirements better in every aspect including $, but the 2nd just looks like a better stone. Could it be just a bad picture?

Well- the first one that may be from the cloud/crystal finish. It does look cloudy- call James Allen and ask them about that image. inquire if it is cloudy looking inperson and if the cloud/crystal finish impacts the brillance...

the second one- you will not find any inclusions in this one- cut looks great- looks like there may some leakage in the center area and the middle bottom area. The color will be more tinted.... I would ask if the stone has a "dead" spot in the center from leakage.

It's really a toss up- just depends on what is more important to you... out of these two stones it's clarity vs. color... as for the other two- those are great stones but the size is smaller..

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

Well, I had a chat w/a JA rep.

She's going to order the ASET for the first stone.

She said, they can order up to 3 per customer, so I told her I'd have to look and find another 2 I'm willing to buy.

I like the other stones posted, but I would like to get closer to .85 if possible.

What's strange about that first stone, is the measurements all around make it seem almost like a 1ct. Much bigger than any other .85-.90 I found. I think.

ac75

Rough_Rock
.....looking at the GIA report.

Says "rectangular modified brilliant". Most others I've seen say "square modified brilliant".

Also, characteristics say "feather, cavity, crystal". Is cavity bad?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The pictures do appear to be taken in different lighting conditions, and both stones appear tilted (the first to a greater degree). ASETs will definitely help. My preference is for the K/IF based on what I can tell of the cut. The J/SI1 has a huge table (which generally translates into less fire/scintillation), but has larger and more square dimensions, and fits your budget and desired color better. It wouldn't be my top choice but may be a worthy compromise for you. The 0.77 J is still by far my favorite.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep still the J VS2 would be my choice also recommended back on page 2 ;)) and several times afterwards.

as far as your other questions about cavity or other inclusions-I have a feather, Cavity, and clouds in one of my .30 ct round stone, it is a VS2 and I don't see a problem nor the inclusion when I loupe and asked the same question, a respectable vendor chimed and and said shouldn't be a problem in a VS2 and he was RIGHT! and sure enough that stone is actually the better cut and brighter stone of two I have. However, it really depends on the clarity grade, I didn't look at which one you are referring to, if SI1 or SI2 i'd further investigate.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1291436727|2787002 said:
The pictures do appear to be taken in different lighting conditions, and both stones appear tilted (the first to a greater degree). ASETs will definitely help. My preference is for the K/IF based on what I can tell of the cut. The J/SI1 has a huge table (which generally translates into less fire/scintillation), but has larger and more square dimensions, and fits your budget and desired color better. It wouldn't be my top choice but may be a worthy compromise for you. The 0.77 J is still by far my favorite.

I think if going with one of the stones around .85ct then I like the K IF better too. the cut looks better, the clarity and crispness better- BUT it will be a tad more tinted than the J...so that is the trade off.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Did you get your ASET yet? I'm curious!

ac75

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1291696979|2789603 said:
Did you get your ASET yet? I'm curious!
No, not yet.

I think tomorrow (Tues).

Soon as I get it, I will post it.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Well I got an unexpected package today.

The guys from Abazias sent me another stone w/out getting my approval first!

After the first stone came in dirty, they said they could probably find another. He showed me one, but I wasnt too sure as it said "fair cut". http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=87927151&flag=p

He said, he just wanted to bring it in, so he could see it and let me know. I said, ok, bring it in and let me know what you think.

Well I just got the package. I emailed the rep and he said he thought he mentioned it looked good, and sent it out. No, I never heard, otherwise I wouldn't have let them send anything out.

I was on the phone and thought it was a package for work so I signed for it (my mistake there).

I hope they don't make me pay for return shipping. The box has not been opened.

Really disappointed in how this has turned out.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would stress to them that you were NOT told they were sending the stone to you, therefore you do not feel as you should have to be out the shipping money...

if they will pay for the shipping- tell them you have not opened it.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks Amy.

I am just waiting to get the ASET from JA to make my decision. But even if it does not look good, I doubt I will keep the ring Abazias sent me.

I can't believe they would not notify me first and just send out a stone! That is some real stupidity or, just really really bad service.

I already called my credit card company to let them know of a possible dispute.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I hope it is smooth with the return and everything.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Still have not received the ASET from JA.

Not having much luck w/this diamond stuff..

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Try emailing them again? They're probably just busy with the holidays and all.

ac75

Rough_Rock
jstar,

I did email JA yesterday. They said they can see it's been ordered but don't know what's going on... :confused:

ac75

Rough_Rock
I got an email from the JA rep this morning.

It appears my request was overlooked. :rolleyes:

I have to wait another 4-5 days..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results