shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on selecting Princess Cut

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's very disappointing! How did the return go with the Abazias stone?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1292184669|2795013 said:
That's very disappointing! How did the return go with the Abazias stone?

sorry that JA overlooked it! I am sure you are disappointed- How did abazias work out?

ac75

Rough_Rock
I still have not returned it. Nor opened it.. :(

I was waiting to see what the JA stone looked like. If it was bad, I might open the box from Abazias, or depending on if they say I have to pay return shipping, may open it anyway since I'd have to pay. This JA blunder is really putting me in a pinch though. The 10 day return period from Abazias is quickly coming up. Tuesday will be 7 days already. I might get the JA ASET on Weds.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It will be hard to compare a diamond you have in your hands with one you have a photo +/- an ASET of online. The diamond you have will probably look better, but it could easily be a more poorly cut stone. I'd be mildly curious, probably enough to open it up, but I'd also send it back right away, because I wouldn't want to deal with a company that was making decisions for me! I know nothing about Abazias aside from the fact that they're a PS sponsor, but this experience colors my opinion of them.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. The Abazias situation sounds so fishy... good luck getting that resolved!

Are you sold on JA? Have you looked at other vendors?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ecf8503|1292246656|2795482 said:
Hmm. The Abazias situation sounds so fishy... good luck getting that resolved!

Are you sold on JA? Have you looked at other vendors?

Vendors such as BGD and Whiteflash have been searched, but no stones in the posters price and carat range are available.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Good morning.

I got to work this morning and realized JA had sent the ASET to my work email since Sat morning.. Grrrr... Had I know I would've gotten it sooner I would've came in to my office just to check my email (can't check my work email from home).

Anyway, here is their response & ASET:

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET image of diamond 1174382. I have attached that image to this email. I also asked one of our graduate gemologists to take a look at this diamond and give us her expert evaluation.

Unfortunately; as you can see by the attached ASET image, this stone is not an ideal candidate for you. This diamond is not eye clean, and has a cavity at the corner which could pose a problem when attempting to mount this diamond. There is also a crystal under that table that reflects and is able to be seen with the unaided eye.

Based on this review and ASET image; I searched through our extensive diamond inventory in order to find you additional recommendations. I found two diamonds that are right around what you were considering, and have included them in a comparison chart at the bottom of this email. If you are unable to view that chart; you may find the information here: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/diamond-comparison.asp?p=1256179,1332027

Personally; my favorite of these two diamonds is 1332027. It is perfectly eye clean, has an excellent square ratio, and really nice proportions. Take a look at these diamonds and let me know if you would like either of them evaluated by our gemologist.

Please take a moment to review this information and let me know if you have any additional questions. I have extended your hold on diamond 1174382 for an additional 24 hours so you have time to examine this information. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions. I hope to hear from you soon.

1174382aset.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the JA rep- they suggested two and I definitely like the 133.... stone better- the second one on the comparison chart.

Is your budget 2,000 for the stone? If not, I would ask their advice/ASET for the .77J stone or the ,85 K IF stone. Again, they will be more tinted in color than you might like- but their cut looks better than the ASET you were given.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks for looking Amy.

No, I don't want to spend that much for the stone. I was hoping to pay that for everything, and I'd have to get a setting elsewhere as JA's are too much.

What do you see in that ASET? Is all the white leakage? I know the more red the better right? But I don't fully understand what makes a good/bad stone based on ASET.

Here's the other 2 stones I inquired about:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VVS1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1150844.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1329447.asp

Also, why was that stone GIA certified as SI1, and still not eye clean? Very confusing. I guess I thought SI1's from GIA would be eyeclean.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ac75|1292259167|2795640 said:
Thanks for looking Amy.

No, I don't want to spend that much for the stone. I was hoping to pay that for everything, and I'd have to get a setting elsewhere as JA's are too much.

What do you see in that ASET? Is all the white leakage? I know the more red the better right? But I don't fully understand what makes a good/bad stone based on ASET.

Here's the other 2 stones I inquired about:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VVS1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1150844.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1329447.asp

Also, why was that stone GIA certified as SI1, and still not eye clean? Very confusing. I guess I thought SI1's from GIA would be eyeclean.

SI1 stones are not necessarily eyeclean depending on the inclusions and location.

as for ASET.. white is leakage. You want more red as that means fire/scintilation. that stone has quite a bit of white in it...

info on aset.
http://www.niceice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157&Itemid=231

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That ASET wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the big areas of leakage at the top and bottom. But not being eye-clean would be a dealbreaker for me, and even if it weren't, an inclusion that poses a structural risk is never good in a stone that's prone to corner chipping to begin with.

So of the ones you have on the table now...

1332027 and 1329447 both look to have some leakage in the center, but not too bad compared to some of the others. May be worth checking out, but remember you only get 3 ASETs at JA!
1256179 and 1150844 appear to have more leakage, so I'd rule them out.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, not all SI1s are eyeclean, have to evaluate each individually, that's why it is good to work with a vendor who has them in-house and can evaluate for you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1292260660|2795658 said:
That ASET wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the big areas of leakage at the top and bottom. But not being eye-clean would be a dealbreaker for me, and even if it weren't, an inclusion that poses a structural risk is never good in a stone that's prone to corner chipping to begin with.

So of the ones you have on the table now...

1332027 and 1329447 both look to have some leakage in the center, but not too bad compared to some of the others. May be worth checking out, but remember you only get 3 ASETs at JA!
1256179 and 1150844 appear to have more leakage, so I'd rule them out.

ditto I would lean towards the 1132027 and 1329447 over the other two.

The stone slg posted looks really nice as well.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the help!

I think 1329447 is probably the best choice for what I can spend/what I'm trying to get. Hopefully, they reply to me soon and get an ASET quickly.

It's kinda been torture having that ring from Abazias sitting in the box all week. My wife knows it's here, and has been very curious to open it, but from looking at the specs http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=87927151&flag=p

I just feel it's a waste to open the box. I'd have to pay another $35 to ship it back, and I feel if we open it, she will want to keep it, and we will end up w/not the best stone/choice. The dimensions seem small, and I don't like the cut grading, or the fact it's from EGL Israel which I've heard is the most lenient. I don't buy diamonds everyday, so I'd rather take a little more time and get the best one. I know it's been hard on her though :(sad

jbawwou

Rough_Rock
I hate to say this but I think your diamond is NOT on hold. I would call JA now.

ac75

Rough_Rock
jbawwou|1292273118|2795847 said:
I hate to say this but I think your diamond is NOT on hold. I would call JA now.

Thanks for your concern. I got an email recently confirming they ordered the ASETs.. so looks like we are good.

Interestingly, I just found the 1332027 on Abazia's site. I wonder if they would just let me do an exchange? I'd much rather order through JA at this point, but all their settings are more expensive.

I even looked at getting a setting elsewhere and have the JA diamond set, but local jewelers want to charge me $150+ to set a diamond.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet it has been hard on your wife, staring at the box and wanting to see what is inside! I do think its a better idea to make sure you buy the best you can afford instead of settling for something just for the instant gratification.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
slg47|1292260854|2795661 said:
yeah, not all SI1s are eyeclean, have to evaluate each individually, that's why it is good to work with a vendor who has them in-house and can evaluate for you.

Correct and in my opinion, definitely worth investing your time into looking for them.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MarkBroumand|1292280408|2795932 said:
slg47|1292260854|2795661 said:

Correct and in my opinion, definitely worth investing your time into looking for them.

totally agree. A good eyeclean SI1 is a great buy and saves money- heck I have an SI2 and yes I can see the inclusions from the side view, and if my diamond is really dirty- haven't cleaned it in a few months- I can then spot the inclusiong from the face up positions. Since then I have learned- and I think SLG learned this as well with her pear sidestones... if you can find a stone that is eyeclean- or even eyeclean with clean- it is worth the savings in money- go jump in color or carat you can get! I have since learned to keep my stone very clean and I cannot find the inclusion face down when its sparkly clean!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ac75|1292278557|2795902 said:
jbawwou|1292273118|2795847 said:

Thanks for your concern. I got an email recently confirming they ordered the ASETs.. so looks like we are good.

Interestingly, I just found the 1332027 on Abazia's site. I wonder if they would just let me do an exchange? I'd much rather order through JA at this point, but all their settings are more expensive.

I even looked at getting a setting elsewhere and have the JA diamond set, but local jewelers want to charge me $150+ to set a diamond.

yeah it may be cheaper to do it all at one place so you avoid setting fees/etc.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask JA about the PS discount an also about if there is an added- repeat cutomer discount for buying stone and setting from them- you can also say to them that you found a comparable stone at abazias but their setting are cheaper so you were considering going with them.... hey- you never know.

ac75

Rough_Rock
Yeah good idea.

I like the setting you posted. That is basically the same setting I bought at Abazias, only theirs is 14k WG and it's $240 vs $380.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

ac75

Rough_Rock
Thanks star. I agree, looks like a nice stone, and thanks to you guys I know it will look bigger because of the table dimensions. :)

If the others do not work out, I may consider, but seems I am overpaying for something I don't need. Wish I could find a .85ish H-I color, SI1 for around $1500.

Amys Bling|1292282191|2795958 said:
totally agree. A good eyeclean SI1 is a great buy and saves money- heck I have an SI2 and yes I can see the inclusions from the side view, and if my diamond is really dirty- haven't cleaned it in a few months- I can then spot the inclusiong from the face up positions. Since then I have learned- and I think SLG learned this as well with her pear sidestones... if you can find a stone that is eyeclean- or even eyeclean with clean- it is worth the savings in money- go jump in color or carat you can get! I have since learned to keep my stone very clean and I cannot find the inclusion face down when its sparkly clean!
So how do you guys feel about EGL SI1s? I've read many sources that say as far as EGL goes, their colors are rated about 1-2 grades higher than GIA, but their clarity is pretty similar. And EGL USA is best of EGL.

I cannot stress how difficult it's been shopping for a diamond lol. :knockout:

Btw, I sent the other ring back to Abazias today. They did not charge me for the return and were very easy about taking it back.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ac75|1292368918|2796973 said:
Thanks star. I agree, looks like a nice stone, and thanks to you guys I know it will look bigger because of the table dimensions. :)

If the others do not work out, I may consider, but seems I am overpaying for something I don't need. Wish I could find a .85ish H-I color, SI1 for around $1500.

Amys Bling|1292282191|2795958 said:
So how do you guys feel about EGL SI1s? I've read many sources that say as far as EGL goes, their colors are rated about 1-2 grades higher than GIA, but their clarity is pretty similar. And EGL USA is best of EGL.

I cannot stress how difficult it's been shopping for a diamond lol. :knockout:

Btw, I sent the other ring back to Abazias today. They did not charge me for the return and were very easy about taking it back.

I'm glad Abazias didn't charge you for the return. As far as EGL SI (or any SI) stone you would want a trusted vendor to evaluate it for you to make sure it is eye-clean. I think the AGS0 stone at JA is a great option, the dimensions are right around 5 mm and it looks much brighter so it may appear larger in some lighting conditions. Plus you know it is totally eye-clean and it is I color, so whiter than the Js.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
.85%20pc%20no2.jpg pc%20band%20table.jpg

ha ha! how funny... i've got just that... a .85 carat princess with an egl usa grading report.

AND it's an si1 and i color.

dimensions are 5.42 x 5.17 x 3.71 mm

71.8% table and 74% depth

i'm extremely happy with it. got a very good deal on it at a detroit pawn shop.

my si1 graded stone is SERIOUSLY clean. egl usa stones MAY be graded more leniently in terms of color but from what i've researched, their clarity grading is pretty much on par with gia. .85%20pc%20no1.jpg .85%20pc%20hand.jpg

ac75

Rough_Rock
That is a very nice ring Anitabee.

Wish I could find something like that in a pawn shop, but you have to get really lucky!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results