shape
carat
color
clarity

My Selection--So how did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
I''m not selling anything. I''m reading and replying to information posted - that''s all.

In todays market you can purchase a very nice GIA EX/EX (but non branded) J SI2 1.10+ct for well below Rap - at least 20% or more.

You chose a branded diamond, and I''m just relaying my personal experience that I cannot ever tell a GIA EX/EX apart from an 8 Star or any other branded diamond.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
MrGG- i don''t get it. kc chose a very nice stone, from what i can tell. and it''s not branded. what are you talking about?

and not only that, but GIA EX/EX doesn''t automatically mean a stone is cut well.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Well, OK.

I guess you are right that you can''t tell the difference between a branded stone and a GIA EX/EX. Review the info above.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s just leave it that KC chose a beautiful stone and leave Mr. GG to make his own conclusions, cause I''m not sure what he''s talking about either.
33.gif

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
Then that''s even worse! I thought it was an 8 star from the other posters. My mistake.

So you paid Rap for a GIA EX/EX J SI2? I would think a search in Pricescope would reveal much lower pricing on a J SI2.

I''m sure it''s a lovely diamond - just sounded pricey.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
IceKid - thanks for pointing out that EX/EX doesn''t mean well cut.

I hope you all know, as well, that you cannot plug cert info into these "cut advisors'' and know what a diamond will look like. That is incredibly naive.

I''ve seen thousands of "ideal cut" stones that were dead. Haze will not show up on a cut advisor.

Try to get out into the world and see these stones and then make a determination.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:05:49 PM
Author: MrGG

I would think a search in Pricescope would reveal much lower pricing on a J SI2.
Please search and reveal for us your results.

Be sure to compare apples to apples, aka finding a GIA EX EX will not mean that stone is going to be well-cut nor does a random AGS0.

So I''d love to see a stone like this J SI2 with that similar IS image to show light return and similar numbers,crown/pav and diameter spread, for significantly less than kc paid.

1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mr. GG,
I don''t think you''ve read this whole thread. If you did you would know what we''re talking about. This isn''t any ordinary J SI2, it''s an ideal cut J SI2 and looks to be an amazing stone. That''s it nothing more to it really.
2.gif

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
I read the thread. The initial poster was saying she bought an Ideal Cut GIA EX/EX J SI2 at $100 under Rap.

I''m simply saying -20% below Rap is more in line pricewise on this type of stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MrGG...you keep saying 20 below rap but you noted that a PS search would undoubtedly show lower numbers.

as the attached image shows, there is one or two lower stones, but the 4279 is a middle of the road, as there are two that are even more expensive.

note that i just ran a basic search for 'ideal' stones, not having anything to do with how well cut they are.

so i think that kc having found an amazing cut stone (the pictures do not lie!) for 4729 is great and the price he paid does not appear to be exhorbitantly out of this world, just on the higher end of the other options, by the way none of which show up in 'cut quality' because they don't have further information. hands down i'd take this stone he bought for 4729 anyday.

your opinion is just one, and chiming in over and over to say someone overpaid is starting to border on rude. if you think he could have paid less, fine, but he's got the stone and adores it, and did not ask for advice on if he paid too much so at this point maybe you should just let it go.

kc comparisons.jpg

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I think that stone looks absoltutely amazing. I can hardly believe it''s an SI-2. It''s beautiful.

What does he mean by "haze"?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey kcwade,
your stone looks amazing!! well done!
36.gif
can''t wait to see some hand shots!!

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
Sorry - didn''t mean to be rude. Looks like a lovely diamond.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 8:48:21 PM
I''m not selling anything. I''m reading and replying to information posted - that''s all.

In todays market you can purchase a very nice GIA EX/EX (but non branded) J SI2 1.10+ct for well below Rap - at least 20% or more.

You chose a branded diamond, and I''m just relaying my personal experience that I cannot ever tell a GIA EX/EX apart from an 8 Star or any other branded diamond.
It would help if your got your facts straight before you opened your mouth, GG.

This ISN''T a branded diamond.

Further, if you really knew anything about the industry, you''d be singing a song other than "how much back from RAP".

Please, stop causing trouble. The man purchased a diamond at a MORE than fair price for what he got. Unless you''re prepared to ante up ACTUAL examples, you should steo down.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
If I knew anything about the industry? You are going to embarass yourself with comments like that.

He asked how he did, and I gave an opinion. Is this a Facist state, or are opinions allowed?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:15:14 PM
I read the thread. The initial poster was saying she bought an Ideal Cut GIA EX/EX J SI2 at $100 under Rap.

I'm simply saying -20% below Rap is more in line pricewise on this type of stone.

#1. The poster is a HE, not a she. If your attention to detail misses this very basic fact, I'm not horribly confident in your data RE: pricing.

#2. It sounds as though your frame of reference for pricing is in a retail setting, and since pricing here typically is more favorable than a retail setting, I think you are mistaken.

#3. KC....there are always going to be naysayers, and some will have completely no idea what they are talking about. Don't let those types shake your confidence. You bought a BEAUTIFUL STONE at a very good price.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:33:28 PM

He asked how he did, and I gave an opinion. Is this a Facist state, or are opinions allowed?

Of course opinions are allowed.......but there is no requirement for anyone to AGREE with your opinion, especially when it''s clearly ill-informed.
9.gif

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
I said "He".

Sorry - i''m used to parcel pricing diamonds, not in single stones.

And I''m talking about pricing that anyone can get on the street, from reputable dealers, in NYC.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
You talk quite a big game. Let''s get our credentials out in the open and then I''ll be happy to conceed to your uber-informed opinion.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:15:14 PM

I''m simply saying -20% below Rap is more in line pricewise on this type of stone.

Um......no you didn''t say "he" .....not in every post.

Again, can''t get the facts right. Makes me wonder what else isn''t right.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
Let''s stick to diamonds, not genders.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
For heavens sakes, this has gone on far too long. This is about KC and the beautiful stone that he purchased. Can we leave it at that, MrGG???????
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:38:37 PM
You talk quite a big game. Let''s get our credentials out in the open and then I''ll be happy to conceed to your uber-informed opinion.
You''ve been asked point blank to provide examples of these 20% back of rap deals that lead you to believe KC got fleeced for his stone. I note with interest that you haven''t done it yet. Why is that?

Prove it. Let''s see it.

And while we''re at it, your credentials are equally questionable. Just because you call yourself "Mr. GG" doesn''t mean you are a G.G. .....that could stand for Gregory Greg.

As Mara aptly posted, the pricing on this stone is MORE than in line with the online pricing of stones. You have yet to prove otherwise. You cannot seriously be saying that retail offers consistently BETTER pricing than online?

Until you do, it would be really nice to simply congratulate KC on HIS purchase and let it be.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:38:37 PM
You talk quite a big game. Let's get our credentials out in the open and then I'll be happy to conceed to your uber-informed opinion.
Fortunately, credentials are not the end-all-to-be-all here on PS.....there are alot of consumers on here that know more than many jewelers. Not ALL of course, we have some amazing vendors and industry people here who are very respected....but for the most part newbies who talk about '20 back from rap' may find PS not their cup of tea. Too much informed rebellion going on.
9.gif

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
LOL - I already said he purchased a lovely diamond.

I''m now interested in the expertise of aljdewey.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Date: 6/19/2005 9:40:04 PM
Let''s stick to diamonds, not genders.

How about this?

I''ll stick to: KC, how did you do? You did an AMAZING job, and you found a stone you love. CONGRATULATIONS on such fine work, and enjoy.

2.gif

Anything else, I''m not interested in.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
Being a newbie to PRicescope does not make me a newbie to the industry.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the industry (not just retail) uses Rap. I''m talking about the DeBeers siteholders that I work for, and everyone inbetween.

This forum is not the end all be all of information on the industry.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 9:44:00 PM

I'm now interested in the expertise of aljdewey.
I'm not getting in a Johnson contest. You've been asked to back up your claims, and you either can't or won't. That really leaves nothing of substance to discuss, so there's really no point in continuing.

Finished with this insanity.

AZDiamondGuy

Rough_Rock
Nobody is interested in your johnson. This is a diamond discussion.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mr.GG you''ve been asked to back up your statements but haven''t done so. Why??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results