shape
carat
color
clarity

My quest- Fat emerald cut lab diamond ring- Help appreciated

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall @Karl_K once saying these "floating in the air" photos are not good for showing leakage and cut quality. Even poorly cut stones look good floating like that! Better to have the gem resting in the crook of one's fingers or on a lighter tones background. Then the cut quality can more easily be assessed.
It drives me nuts how they always do them EW too which is useless for stepcuts. They should hold them NS so you can at least see if the steps turn off and on as the stone is moved.
@missy I’m not sure if the 5.79 F will be crisp. Watching the 360 video, you can see striations throughout, on all of the facets. They’re fine but may well read as blurry in person. I took some screenshots but if you slow the video down you should be able to see them.
IMG_9598.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It drives me nuts how they always do them EW too which is useless for stepcuts. They should hold them NS so you can at least see if the steps turn off and on as the stone is moved.
@missy I’m not sure if the 5.79 F will be crisp. Watching the 360 video, you can see striations throughout, on all of the facets. They’re fine but may well read as blurry in person. I took some screenshots but if you slow the video down you should be able to see them.
IMG_9598.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg

Thank you! This is exactly what I don’t know. I definitely want crisp. I appreciate your input @foxinsox

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall @Karl_K once saying these "floating in the air" photos are not good for showing leakage and cut quality. Even poorly cut stones look good floating like that! Better to have the gem resting in the crook of one's fingers or on a lighter tones background. Then the cut quality can more easily be assessed.

Thank you. That makes sense. And of course the vendors want to show it off in the best way but that’s misleading

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the cut on this looks promising. GIA graded and the material looks pretty clean. It‘s over 10k though and maybe a bit longer/skinnier than your ratio preference?

That’s very pretty. To my uneducated eye. Thank you

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. That makes sense. And of course the vendors want to show it off in the best way but that’s misleading

Yeah that plus the way IG selling seems to result in a feeding frenzy and feeling of scarcity that makes it hard/impossible for buyers to request additional photos or ask questions really makes me think it’s a bad buying medium for consumers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that plus the way IG selling seems to result in a feeding frenzy and feeling of scarcity that makes it hard/impossible for buyers to request additional photos or ask questions really makes me think it’s a bad buying medium for consumers.

I agree completely. It can be a feeding frenzy and it is not my cup of tea. I do not see myself buying like that

And now, after seeing many lab emerald cut diamonds I have come to another conclusion. I am an antique girl at heart and if I do go to emerald cut I want a vintage/antique emerald cut so I think that leaves this option out for me.

It's so funny because years before Greg and I got engaged and years before I would even consider marriage, he asked me what my favorite engagement diamond would be (we were watching Sex and the City and one of the characters was getting engaged on the show)..and I said (mind you I had NEVER thought about getting engaged as that was not ever on my radar) without skipping a beat...emerald cut. Despite never having thought about it at all. I was not into jewelry expect for my grandma's ER and my mom's opal. But somehow, instinctively, the words emerald cut diamond came out of my mouth. LOL.

And of course the first ER Greg proposed to me with was a modern round. FAIL. Then we got a bigger MRB. FAIL. Then an OEC. And I was well on my way to being an antique cut lover. Tweaking my wishes for the perfect for me diamond. And I got her finally with Bubbalah.

Fast forward all these years and now here I am again. Wanting an emerald cut. But now an antique emerald cut which will be out of my (imaginary) budget. I cannot see spending as much as we did for my OEC (or even more) on an emerald cut since I already have a beautiful ring, And rarely wear my rings anyway. But I will be keeping my eyes peeled just in case. You never know, right?

My dream ring right now...SWOON!!!
Art deco step cut...Nice and fat and yummy to the max!!!

4.81ctAntiqueEmeraldCutDiamondSolitaire_GIADIF-3_1800x1800.jpg

:love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel the same way @missy . The last four or five months I have been scheming about what my project will be for this year, and quite a few times I came very close to pulling the trigger on a lab diamond and I spent a fair bit of time learning about them. But I just kept getting pulled back toward the siren call of old cuts. I just adore the history and the legacy of antique jewelry. I almost pulled the trigger on a modern lab antique cushion but still I hesitated. I’ve been back on eBay instead, looking for old cut diamond being sold by pawn shops :cool2: The heart wants what it wants!

Would you ever consider buying a smaller natural diamond true antique? A more modest price range to own such dreamy stone. Or you could have an antique custom cut lab. That is something I have considered… a custom cut lab cut by a master cutter feels special too.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not sure what the “antique” means in Alex park’s @parksantiquelab IG handle, but he did have this antique EC a little bit ago. I know next to zero about ECs and even less about antique ECs, but is this in the ballpark of what you have in mind?

I know he’s sources stones for other PSers, circumnavigating the whole IG DM panic button mess. And if he found this one, perhaps he’s able to find another bigger one? Also, he must have a return policy, so people can inspect their stones? Of course that’s another layer of tedium, but it’s a way to inspect his reasonably priced finds.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I contacted on DM to Alex Parks girls and told them what I was looking for and they came back and told me what they could get and what they have.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Great find @maryjane04 I saw that and pinged it to @missy
How does this one look ya all? ^ :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @maryjane04 and @Slickk ❤️
@Slickk messaged me about this earlier and I was going to come here when I had a chance to ask psers about it.

I like it but don’t feel qualified to know if this is a good lab diamond. I would appreciate any and all thoughts about this stone. Good or bad. Thanks

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a stunner to me!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an antique EC myself as I prefer smaller shoulders if you know what I mean.

Although this looks like a stunner to me, my concern is that it might not be big enough for what @missy is looking for!

DK :lol-2:

It's true, I cannot lie. I like them big :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Alex Park also just showed these on IG. It's a HUGE haul of custom cuts, and there seem to be several ECs in that bunch. I bet you could inquire before they're posted.

IMG_6950.jpg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I agree completely. It can be a feeding frenzy and it is not my cup of tea. I do not see myself buying like that

And now, after seeing many lab emerald cut diamonds I have come to another conclusion. I am an antique girl at heart and if I do go to emerald cut I want a vintage/antique emerald cut so I think that leaves this option out for me.

It's so funny because years before Greg and I got engaged and years before I would even consider marriage, he asked me what my favorite engagement diamond would be (we were watching Sex and the City and one of the characters was getting engaged on the show)..and I said (mind you I had NEVER thought about getting engaged as that was not ever on my radar) without skipping a beat...emerald cut. Despite never having thought about it at all. I was not into jewelry expect for my grandma's ER and my mom's opal. But somehow, instinctively, the words emerald cut diamond came out of my mouth. LOL.

And of course the first ER Greg proposed to me with was a modern round. FAIL. Then we got a bigger MRB. FAIL. Then an OEC. And I was well on my way to being an antique cut lover. Tweaking my wishes for the perfect for me diamond. And I got her finally with Bubbalah.

Fast forward all these years and now here I am again. Wanting an emerald cut. But now an antique emerald cut which will be out of my (imaginary) budget. I cannot see spending as much as we did for my OEC (or even more) on an emerald cut since I already have a beautiful ring, And rarely wear my rings anyway. But I will be keeping my eyes peeled just in case. You never know, right?

My dream ring right now...SWOON!!!
Art deco step cut...Nice and fat and yummy to the max!!!

4.81ctAntiqueEmeraldCutDiamondSolitaire_GIADIF-3_1800x1800.jpg

:love:

this is sooo beautiful! OMG

Well, you can always recut into your dream step/emerald- it's time consuming but worth it to get what you want! As you know i was looking for the 'right' OEC and I couldnt find what i wanted, even looking at $100k diamonds, they were gorgeous but even then they were't exactly what i wanted! On top of not wanting to pay that much... but even if i did they still weren't exactly right LOL!

The recut obviously winds up probably doubling 'regular' lab price, but i feel like i got exactly what i wanted and the lab prices have gotten so low even on the larger carats it's not ridiculously expensive to do it.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Alex Park also just showed these on IG. It's a HUGE haul of custom cuts, and there seem to be several ECs in that bunch. I bet you could inquire before they're posted.

IMG_6950.jpg

That top row looks pretty promising! !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone who is contacting me with suggestions online and off... I really appreciate it

Can the lab diamond experts weigh in on this one? Not really sure who to tag so if I tag you and am wrong or did not tag you (because I don't know who is a lab aficionado) please don't be offended...thanks :)

@Kim N @DejaWiz @tyty333 @lovedogs

I know we don't have enough info so not holding you to anything you say but just wanted your thoughts with the info we do have here

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 7.57.23 AM.png

It's an H so will be slightly tinted...that's a concern but other than that curious if this looks like a nice lab emerald cut diamond

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Missy, I am not a wiz on emeralds by a long shot, but I do like the movement across the diamond in the video and the very clear and crisp steps. The table is also nice and small.

Just my 2 cents. I would make sure it does not have any bluish tint (It does not appear to have it, but I would ask for confirmation).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I am not a wiz on emeralds by a long shot, but I do like the movement across the diamond in the video and the very clear and crisp steps. The table is also nice and small.

Just my 2 cents. I would make sure it does not have any bluish tint (It does not appear to have it, but I would ask for confirmation).

Thank you! Not ready to pull that proverbial trigger yet but trying to learn. Appreciate your input ♥️

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy not an ec expert either but clicked and zoomed in on this one and I too like the light play in this one. I don’t see any dark banding across the middle. I like it. Again, just an enthusiast rather than expert. This one looks nice to me. He has a return policy I believe. Perhaps bringing one in eventually will help you decide if it’s mind clean enough to you.
As for color, I must be color blind because I’ve worn my F next to my J and do not see a marked difference. :cool2: Only sparkles, just the way I like ‘em! Enjoy the hunt!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results