carat
color
clarity

My quest- Fat emerald cut lab diamond ring- Help appreciated

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I'm a little disappointed in the response to Missy's request. When you are exploring the possibility of a purchase and learning, you come to pricescope, and usually people show you examples of what they think you might be looking for. Usually, you don't want to seek out a vendor until you have clearer ideas in your own mind of what is what. DejaWiz is usually a Wiz at selecting some choices. A bit strange to me. Not looking for trouble.
(This might be trouble). Missy, some yrs ago Rhino posted dead fetuses on his personal website directing the young women who came looking for engagement rings to that website so he could advocate against abortion. There are threads and posts somewhere on PS. There were many who Vowed never to use him as a vendor as he was exploiting his vendor position on PS iT WAS DISGUSTING.

ANNETTE

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@smitcompton thank you. I appreciate your post. Initially I was expecting examples of what to look for but I now realize there’s not a lot to show with the parameters I was seeking.

And yes, I do remember the brouhaha with Rhino. We probably shouldn’t comment further on it due to ps rules.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm not soliciting comments, forgive my misleading post. I don't think I want to know any more.
missy, have you considered a nice squat emerald with a a bold baguette halo? Could be a lot of impact on your hand. One of my favorite looks.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@missy and @smitcompton I hope you both understand that an emerald of that size will show any and all flaws. I suggested vendors mainly bc I felt like that was best advice I could give.

We’re great over here at helping with MRBs, but that’s bc they fall into more predictable cutting parameters. We had a poor soul ask about radiants this week, and no one really was able to help much. Maybe RT has more users versed in fancy cut evaluation?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Also, Alex Park seems to have very nice lab emerald cuts but again I do not know what to avoid and what to look for in 1. a lab diamond and 2. an emerald cut...a double whammy of ignorance on my part

Hi @missy! I did some research into emerald cuts back before I bought my natural antique emerald/asscher. First, I will say (and I’m sure you know this) that they perform very differently than OECs since they don’t have the same intense sparkle. You are right to be concerned about cut, because a poorly cut emerald will look very flat and dull. You also need to look out for dark centers that create a bowtie effect across the whole width of the stone. Emeralds also show inclusions more than other cuts, because it’s like looking into a mirror, and one ill-placed inclusion can reflect multiple times throughout the stone. I was lucky to find an SI stone that was eye clean, but that is not super common in this cut!

All of that said, I think when you see videos of a good emerald cut, you just know it’s good! There are so many bad ones, and it’s pretty obvious when you see them. I do agree that working with somebody who has an eye for cut is important. It sounds like you took a look at Alex’s lab emeralds, and he would be my vote for this project. I bet he would have a custom stone cut for you that meets your guidelines. Also, if a large size, high color, and excellent cut is what you’re after, he’ll have the best price and you’ll get the quality you’re looking for!

Good luck - I hope you don’t give up on this idea! You have an incredible, natural, antique stone already, so wouldn’t it be fun to have another option that perhaps only lab grown would allow to be possible? That’s what I’d be telling myself at least - ha!!

This is likely lower color than you’re after, but thought it was a good example to ballpark potential cost range.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy! I did some research into emerald cuts back before I bought my natural antique emerald/asscher. First, I will say (and I’m sure you know this) that they perform very differently than OECs since they don’t have the same intense sparkle. You are right to be concerned about cut, because a poorly cut emerald will look very flat and dull. You also need to look out for dark centers that create a bowtie effect across the whole width of the stone. Emeralds also show inclusions more than other cuts, because it’s like looking into a mirror, and one ill-placed inclusion can reflect multiple times throughout the stone. I was lucky to find an SI stone that was eye clean, but that is not super common in this cut!

All of that said, I think when you see videos of a good emerald cut, you just know it’s good! There are so many bad ones, and it’s pretty obvious when you see them. I do agree that working with somebody who has an eye for cut is important. It sounds like you took a look at Alex’s lab emeralds, and he would be my vote for this project. I bet he would have a custom stone cut for you that meets your guidelines. Also, if a large size, high color, and excellent cut is what you’re after, he’ll have the best price and you’ll get the quality you’re looking for!

Good luck - I hope you don’t give up on this idea! You have an incredible, natural, antique stone already, so wouldn’t it be fun to have another option that perhaps only lab grown would allow to be possible? That’s what I’d be telling myself at least - ha!!

This is likely lower color than you’re after, but thought it was a good example to ballpark potential cost range.

Thank you! That is incredibly helpful. My dream emerald cut would be an antique emerald cut but I also like modern as well when it comes to emerald cut diamonds. Your explanation is so helpful and on point. You are right. It is for fun. All my bling is but this one would be a just a fun option and only getting a lab would make it possible. That stone you linked is gorgeous and while it looks huge on the model it would not look huge on me lol. It would be a purrrrfect size (as Gracie Frances our kitty (haha) likes to say) on me. Right again about the color because the tint in an emerald cut would bother me. But that is such a great example thank you @twosanguinehearts I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and expertise with me.

And your natural antique emerald//asscher is out of this world stunning. A dream stone :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy and @smitcompton I hope you both understand that an emerald of that size will show any and all flaws. I suggested vendors mainly bc I felt like that was best advice I could give.

We’re great over here at helping with MRBs, but that’s bc they fall into more predictable cutting parameters. We had a poor soul ask about radiants this week, and no one really was able to help much. Maybe RT has more users versed in fancy cut evaluation?

I think you are right and rocky talky is probably a great place to learn about emerald cuts. I only posted here because I am looking at lab diamonds but yes I think what makes a great emerald cut applies to both though they might behave somewhat differently depending. Thanks for chiming in again, much appreciated

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I'm a little disappointed in the response to Missy's request. When you are exploring the possibility of a purchase and learning, you come to pricescope, and usually people show you examples of what they think you might be looking for.

@0515vision already addressed this, but I'll admit reading this stung a bit. To be clear - I do genuinely appreciate your thoughts and willingness to stand up for your friend , because yes, that is generally what we are here to do - find examples and help narrow the search.

Ultimately, my first post was to recommend David as a vendor I knew might be able to help.

Behind the scenes though, I spent nearly an hour and a half yesterday searching inventory from Adiamor, Whiteflash, The Art of Jewels, Yadav, RockHer, DreamStone, Ritani, Friendly Diamonds, LaurenBJewelry, Distinctive Gems, James Allen, Diamonds by Lauren, Frank Darling, B2C Jewels, Brilliant Earth, Grown Brilliance, Loose Grown Diamond, and searching sub Reddits for other places to look.

I'm not asking for a pat on the back - rather, I want to highlight that I know I am not the only person who spent a good bit of time trying to find examples for Missy and came up with nothing worth sharing.

Sometimes the best one can do is admit when something is beyond your capability, and point the person you are trying to help in the direction of someone who has the capacity to accomplish what you cannot.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you @vintageinjune I'm sorry I put you through all that trouble and I really appreciate it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
OK thanks DejaWiz. Will do. I resisted reaching out to any of the vendors because I don't want to waste their time and I do not know what constitutes a "beautiful" emerald cut since I only have experience with old cuts and mainly OECs specifically. You don't know what you don't know if you kwim!

Here's the kind of vetting and assessing that Jon provides for his clients:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little disappointed in the response to Missy's request. When you are exploring the possibility of a purchase and learning, you come to pricescope, and usually people show you examples of what they think you might be looking for. Usually, you don't want to seek out a vendor until you have clearer ideas in your own mind of what is what. DejaWiz is usually a Wiz at selecting some choices. A bit strange to me. Not looking for trouble.

I didnt notice you pointing out any stones. Dont be so hard on PSers until you know how difficult it is to find a high color,
low ratio, approximately 14X10mm emerald cut with good light return. Not to mention the finer details of a lively center,
not too many steps "off", or dark, at the same time, and limited leakage (gray/mushy steps).

If they were easy to find we would have posted them so Missy would have a good selection from which to choose. They are
not easy to find...trust me, I looked yesterday (before you posted) and found nothing acceptable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt notice you pointing out any stones. Dont be so hard on PSers until you know how difficult it is to find a high color,
low ratio, approximately 14X10mm emerald cut with good light return. Not to mention the finer details of a lively center,
not too many steps "off", or dark, at the same time, and limited leakage (gray/mushy steps).

If they were easy to find we would have posted them so Missy would have a good selection from which to choose. They are
not easy to find...trust me, I looked yesterday (before you posted) and found nothing acceptable.

Lol this is the story of my life. Always looking for a unicorn. Just ask my dh. He’s always saying this is what I do. Not on purpose though I promise. I really appreciate everyone who chimed in truly. Thanks tyty.

I will add I have found numerous unicorns in life (my dh included) ..
if you don’t dream it you’ll never realize your dreams.
So who knows? Maybe I will find my emerald cut unicorn.
One day. Maybe :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol this is the story of my life. Always looking for a unicorn. Just ask my dh. He’s always saying this is what I do. Not on purpose though I promise. I really appreciate everyone who chimed in truly. Thanks tyty.

I will add I have found numerous unicorns in life (my dh included) ..
if you don’t dream it you’ll never realize your dreams.
So who knows? Maybe I will find my emerald cut unicorn.
One day. Maybe :)

Nothing wrong with what you're looking for. We like what we like and you have beautiful taste! That wasn't the point of my post so
I hope you didn't take it as "you're being too dang picky". I think some people need to be less critical when PSers are out there
looking...I'm sure any of us would be happy to be the one to help you find your unicorn!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
(This might be trouble). Missy, some yrs ago Rhino posted dead fetuses on his personal website directing the young women who came looking for engagement rings to that website so he could advocate against abortion. There are threads and posts somewhere on PS. There were many who Vowed never to use him as a vendor as he was exploiting his vendor position on PS iT WAS DISGUSTING.

ANNETTE

Politics aside (I also feel that this forum is never the place for that), I posted Jon's video because I feel that he is a gold mine of diamond learning, especially when it comes to fancy shapes.
Step cuts are my nemesis, so I'm refraining from making any direct recommendations so that missy doesn't end up with a dud and have to go through a constant order -> return -> order -> return vicious cycle.
There are plenty of other jewelers that also adhere to the importance of optics (albeit some more than others).
A few off the top of my head:
Frank Darling
I.D. Jewelers
Delicate Gem
Diamonds by Lauren
Whiteflash
Brian Gavin
Victor Canera
Continental Diamond
JannPaul
...and many others, I'm sure, that others can add to the list

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!
My thoughts on value and prices:
If we’re talking about sizes from about 5cts and down…..and we’re talking vetted stones…. I think we’re pretty much at the bottom.
Sure, there’s going to be “bottom feeder” sellers going lower. But if a consumer is diligent in terms of picking a quality vendor, I don’t see a lot more reductions coming.
One area that is very much in flux are larger lab diamonds.
My own personal take is that prices of 5ct+ lab diamonds are likely to decrease.
The numbers also favor what I’m talking about.
A nice pair of 4ct total weight vetted stones might be $5k or less. So the actual dollars become less of an obstacle.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

Wow!. You see I have no idea what constitutes a good stone. I never contribute to any discussion on what constitutes a great diamond. I commented because Missy contributes so much here, and we aren't friends and I thiught she deserved a little more help. Saying I was a little disappointed evokes a response that says I must show a stone before I can comment?

So sorry Tyty.

Annette

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a thought if it has not already been mentioned, how about going custom as in approaching cutters to ask them to source and cut an EC to your specific requirements?

DK :))

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
@missy I'm in the same boat as you where I'm not quite ready to buy but I'm trying to educate myself enough to know how to weed through what's out there before reaching out to vendors. I'm even considering purchasing ASET and Ideal scopes so I can try and do a bit on my own. Plus, it looks like fun to use them 8-). Do most of y'all have these tools? This is all new to me but I'm slowly becoming obsessed.

My quest is for an LGD EC that's 8+ carats, warmer like H-I-J-K? since I'll set it in YG, and 1.45 to 1.6 L/W.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I'm in the same boat as you where I'm not quite ready to buy but I'm trying to educate myself enough to know how to weed through what's out there before reaching out to vendors. I'm even considering purchasing ASET and Ideal scopes so I can try and do a bit on my own. Plus, it looks like fun to use them 8-). Do most of y'all have these tools? This is all new to me but I'm slowly becoming obsessed.

My quest is for an LGD EC that's 8+ carats, warmer like H-I-J-K? since I'll set it in YG, and 1.45 to 1.6 L/W.

Ooh sounds beautiful. Good luck and please keep us posted ❤️

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
Ooh sounds beautiful. Good luck and please keep us posted ❤️

Thank you! I'm afraid it might be a while... we have a milestone anniversary next year and I'm still debating the EC vs OEC. In the meantime, I might do some recon on the goods and I'll post what I find :) (Also could use your expertise on OECs when the time comes)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'm afraid it might be a while... we have a milestone anniversary next year and I'm still debating the EC vs OEC. In the meantime, I might do some recon on the goods and I'll post what I find :) (Also could use your expertise on OECs when the time comes)

I absolutely adore OECs and would be more than happy to chime in with my thoughts when you’re ready

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

I think the cut on this looks promising. GIA graded and the material looks pretty clean. It‘s over 10k though and maybe a bit longer/skinnier than your ratio preference?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recall @Karl_K once saying these "floating in the air" photos are not good for showing leakage and cut quality. Even poorly cut stones look good floating like that! Better to have the gem resting in the crook of one's fingers or on a lighter tones background. Then the cut quality can more easily be assessed.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
For reference there’s a loupe360 video for the 5.79 F.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reference there’s a loupe360 video for the 5.79 F.

Thanks!
@missy I am not an expert on ECs but I have been here long enough to recognize a poor one. This one looks promising based on the video that @0-0-0 posted. No dark bands and very white across the facets. I like it. Can you bring it in/go see it? Is it large enough for you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results