carat
color
clarity

My quest- Fat emerald cut lab diamond ring- Help appreciated

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning PSers.
I am a lab diamond newbie and also an emerald cut diamond newbie so a double whammy so to speak.

I am interested in getting a lab emerald cut diamond ring.
I have huge hands so would like the diamond to be at least 14 mm by 10mm but not sure of that proportion.
Something similar as I tried on an emerald cut "diamond" of that size and I liked it but also think I would prefer the stone to be less skinny/more wide

emeraldcut%22diamond%22ring.png

Below is what I consider to be an ideal proportion but no clue what the dimensions are
Leon Mege ring used just as an example for the proportions I find aesthetically pleasing
I prefer a fatter emerald cut (below) than the one I am wearing in the photo above

emeraldcutdiamondleonmege.jpg

What I do know:
I prefer emerald cuts to be white vs warm.
So not sure of IGI labs and how they score/rate the color/clarity but I'm thinking F or whiter and VS and above (GIA standards)

Budget:
Nothing set in stone (pun intended lol). I have no clue what they go for and I know my wish list is a lot. Lab diamond. Emerald cut. High color, clarity and huge size. So help me out. What would the price range be here? Just for the stone.

I apologize in advance for posting when knowing almost nothing about this but I want to learn.
I don't know what to look for and what to avoid. Besides my wish list above.

Please help me learn what I need to know to choose a beautiful lab created diamond.
Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
What’s your budget? Emeralds are tough to judge solely on certificate and video bc real life viewing and ASET images will help the most. If your budget allows, branded stones from Brian Gavin or JannPaul would be ideal. BG has great images with their signature labs. JP has exquisite cuts.

Tagging @momofive who had a recent JP emerald ring journey. Also tagging @lovedogs and @tyty333 who seem to know ECs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s your budget? Emeralds are tough to judge solely on certificate and video bc real life viewing and ASET images will help the most. If your budget allows, branded stones from Brian Gavin or JannPaul would be ideal. BG has great images with their signature labs. JP has exquisite cuts.

Tagging @momofive who had a recent JP emerald ring journey. Also tagging @lovedogs and @tyty333 who seem to know ECs.

In my post I wrote I have no budget and am open though if pressed I guess I would say under 10K but not sure that is even reasonable as I have no clue what lab diamonds cost let alone big ones. Ooh just had a like at BG website for lab diamonds. Very pretty! Just nothing large enough for my man hands :(

Thanks for tagging those two members for me, much appreciated.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Under 10k is unlikely for branded lab diamonds considering 14x10mm min is a 9+ carat emerald. You can start with your ratio preferences by playing around with diamdb.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under 10k is unlikely for branded lab diamonds considering 14x10mm min is a 9+ carat emerald. You can start with your ratio preferences by playing around with diamdb.

So I do not need a branded diamond... I was never a brand name girl anyway. Not sure that matters but just throwing that out there
Plus I do not have a budget per se.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, missy!
Your targeted carat weight and budget may be a bit of a challenge to get an LGD exhibiting good material quality and great optics.
Reach out to Rhino (Jon) at Distinctive Gem and see if he has anything in his supply chain under his newer Steal of The Day program.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, missy!
Your targeted carat weight and budget may be a bit of a challenge to get an LGD exhibiting good material quality and great optics.
Reach out to Rhino (Jon) at Distinctive Gem and see if he has anything in his supply chain under his newer Steal of The Day program.

OK thanks DejaWiz. Will do. I resisted reaching out to any of the vendors because I don't want to waste their time and I do not know what constitutes a "beautiful" emerald cut since I only have experience with old cuts and mainly OECs specifically. You don't know what you don't know if you kwim!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, missy!

Also, Alex Park seems to have very nice lab emerald cuts but again I do not know what to avoid and what to look for in 1. a lab diamond and 2. an emerald cut...a double whammy of ignorance on my part

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, from being on PS, video is a must in assessing ECs.

I would suggest trawling the RT section and look for threads requesting advice on ECs, as they should in theory, apply to LGDs too.

Good luck!

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, from being on PS, video is a must in assessing ECs.

I would suggest trawling the RT section and look for threads requesting advice on ECs, as they should in theory, apply to LGDs too.

Good luck!

DK :))

Great suggestion thank you DK!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The branded suggestion was bc those vendors/cutters can guarantee high quality material and optimal emerald optics. Emeralds can be tricky with so many dead zones that some people prefer to pay the premium. You can also get an ASETscope and take photos yourself at home.

The size you want isn't likely to be sitting on many shelves. You may want to reach out to multiple people and have them ping you when something of that carat weight comes in. Or in the case of JannPaul, they will grow it for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The branded suggestion was bc those vendors/cutters can guarantee high quality material and optimal emerald optics. Emeralds can be tricky with so many dead zones that some people prefer to pay the premium. You can also get an ASETscope and take photos yourself at home.

The size you want isn't likely to be sitting on many shelves. You may want to reach out to multiple people and have them ping you when something of that carat weight comes in. Or in the case of JannPaul, they will grow it for you.

Thank you! I’m torn because it’s not yet mind clean for me and a vendor I was just chatting with told me not to get a lab diamond . Ugh.
I just wanted to see what was out there but I don’t want to waste anyone’s time since I’m not sure
I am usually very decisive but in the lab cut arena I’m not sure it’s right for me

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m torn because it’s not yet mind clean for me and a vendor I was just chatting with told me not to get a lab diamond . Ugh.
I just wanted to see what was out there but I don’t want to waste anyone’s time since I’m not sure
I am usually very decisive but in the lab cut arena I’m not sure it’s right for me

Missy-regarding the vendor who told you not to buy a lab diamond. The really nice thing is for vendors like Ritani and many others, the return policies are great if it's not the lab diamond for you.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think about the cost of a natural and then the lab price doesn’t seem so bad!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For that size missy I think you will likely need a vendor to help you. If you choose one of the PS darlings, all of whom seem to seek labs now and certainly won’t poo poo them, you can trust them to select well cut stones. Even in labs 10ct diamonds aren’t just floating about! So it may be worth the extra money for the hand holding. Then they will provide imaging that you can run by the PS fam.

Super excited to follow this project!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such a big difference between prices across sites on the same stones!

I stand corrected! I guess there are some 10ct rocks just floating about!

Pricing is bizarro in labs, though. Very hard on consumers.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see what you find. I’m hunting for a 4 to 5ct squatty (1.3 to 1.4 ratio) emerald cut or possibly an asscher. Neither are easy…..

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I think David at Diamonds by Lauren would be a great resource as well, he has a great eye for fancy cut diamonds and his prices are quite reasonable. If you find a diamond elsewhere he will easily meet or beat the price for price matching if he can access the same diamond.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, can you share the reasons that particular vendor gave for not going lab grown?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, can you share the reasons that particular vendor gave for not going lab grown?

The vendor said labs will continue decreasing every week. They advised me if I want to buy lab diamonds I should buy a bracelet but nothing pricey. The vendor also said lab diamonds are nice costume jewelry.

Not saying I agree with all of this but I think all diamonds in general are not a good investment unless you are in the field.
Two, lab diamonds are real diamonds but yes I get the mind clean thing. Definitely get it.

So maybe I spend my money on something else. Goodness knows I need nothing material. I mean I would love a beautiful emerald cut diamond but I am not willing to spend hundreds of thousands for the size I need so thinking I will just pass. For now. I have to get to the point of it being mind clean and not sure I ever will.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying @missy. I agree with you on the mind clean thing, I’m dithering about getting some studs, I don’t need them, so don’t want to spend a lot of money, so I’m thinking lab, but even then it’s still a reasonable amount of money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results