shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Padparadcha - paging Linda!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Lauren... I''m so sorry.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 3:54:18 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I just got a phone call from my jeweler. The stone is coming back uncertified, because it''s showing traces of BE diffusion.

I''m so disappointed.
6.gif

But, now I wonder if the seller''s giant 10 ct. is BE diffused, too. I haven''t been able to get ahold of her yet, but I''m really anxious to talk to her. I actually really loved the stone, so this news isn''t great to hear.

TGal, I spent the last few days poring over pics of your fakey, and the more I looked at the cut, the more I realized I was probably looking at a sapphire at least with major treatment, likely a fake.
Ugh Lauren, I am so sorry. I was really crossing my fingers for you because it would have been a great deal for a low heat natural stone. Regardless, it was pretty, wasn''t it? That''s how I felt about my pad even after I found out it was a fake.

I didn''t think it was going to come back synthetic (even though it had a similar feel to my fake pad) but it doesn''t surprise me that it was Be diffused - the only pic I thought was somewhat suspect (because again, I''m no expert) was the profile pic. The colors on that pic looked like some of the Be stones on ebay I''ve seen.

I know there seems to be more interest in pads these days (at least it seems that way to me) but thanks to consumers like you Lauren who are savvy, people can indeed learn that they are hard to find. Richard Wise told me that I was making a mistake when I told him I wanted to return my pad (I didn''t love the oval). I doubt he would say something like that lightly. I was actually taken a bit aback, because he was so direct! "I''m telling you, you are making a mistake" is something I don''t think he tells a client very often. Now I can really understand why.

I hope you find your pad Lauren. But you have so many stones to tide you over in the meantime!!!
18.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ugggggggh Lauren!!! That is terrible. However, I am so glad you were so cautious (and I bet Tgal''s experience had a ton to do with that) and did your homework.

I''m sure you''ll find the right pad; it will find you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry about the news but when something costs a lot and looks great, it''s best to get it checked out and you are fortunate to have done the right thing. I''ve heard that prices of pink sapphires have gone through the roof because cheaters use them for BE diffusion to make them look like pads to get more money this way. I sort of had a suspicion it wasn''t a synthetic but a BE treated stone due to the colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:01:15 PM

Date: 4/3/2009 3:57:41 PM
Author: Linda W
Oh Lauren, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much you loved that stone.

On the other hand, it is best you found out the truth, instead of paying out that large sum of money for a BE treated stone.

I know you will find the perfect one soon.

Hugs and love,

Linda
xoxox
Thanks for your support, Linda! Maybe I''ll just save my pennies (even more) and go the route TGal did, and go through Richard Wise or have Jeff White cut one for me.

I''d really love an Asscher Pad, but I know that''s unlikely to be an inexpensive endeavour.
3.gif
Even then, do get AGTA to check it out. Trust but verify!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry honey. I know how excited you were for it. But I''m so glad you sent it in to get it certed!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 4:12:29 PM
Author: Fly Girl

I just got a phone call from my jeweler. The stone is coming back uncertified, because it''s showing traces of BE diffusion.

I''m so disappointed.
6.gif

But, now I wonder if the seller''s giant 10 ct. is BE diffused, too. I haven''t been able to get ahold of her yet, but I''m really anxious to talk to her. I actually really loved the stone, so this news isn''t great to hear.

TGal, I spent the last few days poring over pics of your fakey, and the more I looked at the cut, the more I realized I was probably looking at a sapphire at least with major treatment, likely a fake.
Bummer. I have been following this thread, and would have guessed that it would be fine.

So glad you went the route of having it checked. Very wise choice.
35.gif
Thanks for the support Fly Girl!
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Innerkitten - that was my first thought, too. I did finally get in touch with the seller and she''s not as educated about gemstones as I would have preferred. She seems to think there''s no big deal that it''s BE heated, but understands that BE = no cert. I have no idea what she''s going to do with it. I do know, that after getting off the phone with her, she was immediately going to call her husband, so I suspect he got an earful.
3.gif

Tourmaline_lover - I''m really so very thankful that I found the CS forum. Honestly, I don''t know what I''d do without you ladies, and your natural skepticism. I used to be a totally oblivious optimistic buyer, which is NOT a good thing when dealing with stones over $1,000. I''m so glad I got your advice on this!

Platinumrock - I''m hoping so . . . thanks for your support, though!
1.gif

Cushioncutnut - NO KIDDING! I honestly didn''t realize BE stones could carry inclusions, so I thought I was home free. I don''t know what''s happening to the stone now that it''s known it''s BE. I''m wondering what a fair price would even be on such a stone? A couple hundred?

LovingDiamonds - It''s just like getting out of a bad relationship before getting married . . . this stone was like a boyfriend who just walks right out of his underwear and leaves socks strewn about the house, and has terrible manners, and oh, by the way, he has a nasty habit of cheating on you, too. Glad I found out now!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 12:18:40 PM
Innerkitten - that was my first thought, too. I did finally get in touch with the seller and she''s not as educated about gemstones as I would have preferred. She seems to think there''s no big deal that it''s BE heated, but understands that BE = no cert. I have no idea what she''s going to do with it. I do know, that after getting off the phone with her, she was immediately going to call her husband, so I suspect he got an earful.
3.gif

Tourmaline_lover - I''m really so very thankful that I found the CS forum. Honestly, I don''t know what I''d do without you ladies, and your natural skepticism. I used to be a totally oblivious optimistic buyer, which is NOT a good thing when dealing with stones over $1,000. I''m so glad I got your advice on this!

1.gif

Cushioncutnut - NO KIDDING! I honestly didn''t realize BE stones could carry inclusions, so I thought I was home free. I don''t know what''s happening to the stone now that it''s known it''s BE. I''m wondering what a fair price would even be on such a stone? A couple hundred?

LovingDiamonds - It''s just like getting out of a bad relationship before getting married . . . this stone was like a boyfriend who just walks right out of his underwear and leaves socks strewn about the house, and has terrible manners, and oh, by the way, he has a nasty habit of cheating on you, too. Glad I found out now!
1.gif
In that case, I''ve had a lot of one night stands!! LOL!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi - thanks, dear! I heart your av, btw!!!!!

Date: 4/3/2009 9:40:58 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I''m so disappointed.
6.gif

Ugh Lauren, I am so sorry. I was really crossing my fingers for you because it would have been a great deal for a low heat natural stone. Regardless, it was pretty, wasn''t it? That''s how I felt about my pad even after I found out it was a fake.

I didn''t think it was going to come back synthetic (even though it had a similar feel to my fake pad) but it doesn''t surprise me that it was Be diffused - the only pic I thought was somewhat suspect (because again, I''m no expert) was the profile pic. The colors on that pic looked like some of the Be stones on ebay I''ve seen.

I know there seems to be more interest in pads these days (at least it seems that way to me) but thanks to consumers like you Lauren who are savvy, people can indeed learn that they are hard to find. Richard Wise told me that I was making a mistake when I told him I wanted to return my pad (I didn''t love the oval). I doubt he would say something like that lightly. I was actually taken a bit aback, because he was so direct! ''I''m telling you, you are making a mistake'' is something I don''t think he tells a client very often. Now I can really understand why.

I hope you find your pad Lauren. But you have so many stones to tide you over in the meantime!!!
18.gif
TGal, if you hadn''t JUST gone through the same thing, I might have just trusted my jeweler and paid way too much for a BE stone. I''m eternally thankful that you posted your story, and I will ALWAYS ask for a cert on pricey stones from now on. That''s why I look forward to working with Richard.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting your story!

Icekid - thanks, dear! My skepticism is growing thanks to this forum! In my early days of gemstone buying, I did pretty terribly, so I''m so glad CS is here. Coloured Stoners rock!
9.gif

Chrono - I appreciate your advice. I knew BEs were out there, which is why I avoid Ebay for the most part. You just never know what you''re getting, and frankly, that was a lot of money to spend to not be sure. I still really love the BE stone, though, and if she ends up only wanting, like $100 for it, I may just take it off her hands.
11.gif
31.gif

Gypsy - Thanks, hun! I am so glad TGal''s thread and subsequent warning were posted here, otherwise, I may never have bothered.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:21:59 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

3.gif

1.gif

1.gif
LOL, indeed! Meeeee, too!
11.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

3.gif

1.gif

1.gif

1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:26:18 PM

3.gif

1.gif

1.gif
LOL, indeed! Meeeee, too!
11.gif
That may explain your screen name, Lauren.
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR,
You crack me up. In a way, although we''re sad to see that Lauren''s stone wasn''t a natural colored padparadscha, I still think this thread had a happy ending. It did save LTP so much in terms of money and grief. I just feel bad for the lady that owns these stones.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:37:55 PM
PR,
You crack me up. In a way, although we''re sad to see that Lauren''s stone wasn''t a natural colored padparadscha, I still think this thread had a happy ending. It did save LTP so much in terms of money and grief. I just feel bad for the lady that owns these stones.

I completely agree! The whole point of PS is to educate consumers BEFORE they make a costly mistake. I am very happy for Lauren, it''s a blessing to find out the truth before it''s too late. When she finds the pad that is meant for her, she will know. And it will be right.
1.gif

This situation sooo reminds me of calling off the wedding before the ceremony. She just saved herself a messy divorce.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
PR, you''re too funny!!!!!!!! For hints as to where my screen name comes from, check out my Who''s Who.
11.gif

Date: 4/4/2009 12:46:16 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 4/4/2009 12:37:55 PM
PR,

I completely agree! The whole point of PS is to educate consumers BEFORE they make a costly mistake. I am very happy for Lauren, it''s a blessing to find out the truth before it''s too late. When she finds the pad that is meant for her, she will know. And it will be right.
1.gif

This situation sooo reminds me of calling off the wedding before the ceremony. She just saved herself a messy divorce.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:25:48 PM

TGal, if you hadn''t JUST gone through the same thing, I might have just trusted my jeweler and paid way too much for a BE stone. I''m eternally thankful that you posted your story, and I will ALWAYS ask for a cert on pricey stones from now on. That''s why I look forward to working with Richard.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting your story!
Lauren, thank you - that means a lot to me that you said that. I really struggled with how I was going to share my story. I felt quite a bit of responsibility to the PS consumer, as well as to Richard because I didn''t want a mistake that could happen to anyone to reflect badly on him. Thankfully, Richard is an upstanding guy and said the crime is not learning from one''s mistakes, which I agree. I am SO glad my story helped someone. I just couldn''t brush the entire ordeal under the rug, even though it would have been easier (and less embarrassing to everyone) to do so. Thank YOU for posting your experience as well. I agree with TL that even though this isn''t an ideal ending, it still is indeed a happy ending. I can''t wait to see what Richard finds for you when you decide to greenlight the project!!

Be stones do have inclusions...the telltale inclusions are what indicate Be. It was my synthetic that didn''t have any diagnostic inclusions - apparently nada! So just because the stone has inclusions doesn''t mean one is home free. I think some people tried to tell Shaundrice that too when it came to his pads because he saw inclusions in his stones and was relieved that it probably wouldn''t be a fake. I wonder if those ever came back as non treated.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lauren, what a disappointment. You know, we all have so much to be thankful for having discovered PS. It wasn''t meant to be honey - your stone will find you.

Have I missed some posts lately or has Shaun been quiet? I do hope he took our advice and decided to get his pads checked.

I would consider adding Steve Lembeck to your contact list for pad searching. That gentlemen is very knowledgable. It''s a given I think that no matter who we would consider buying a pad from, it is prudent to seek an appropriate lab report, but that said I trust what Steve Lembeck has to say.

BTW, didn''t you say that your seller''s husband had bought a parcel of these stones? I wonder if he was stung?

Now, put it behind you, chalk it up to experience, say a prayer to PS and enjoy your trip.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

So, a little "pad" update. The one I was about to buy ended up coming back from AGTA as BE treated. I couldn''t stop thinking about the stone, though.

So, the seller had a chat with her husband, and after finding out that she was unknowingly selling a BE treated stone, she convinced her husband to buy the 36" DBTY necklace that our jeweler made a while back. It''s just beautiful, and NOT treated or enhanced in any way!!!!! But, I asked if she''d adopt me. I have no answer on that yet.

So, she offered me the stone for going to the trouble to have it certified, and I accepted! I had yet another Legacy setting sitting empty, so I decided to set it in there for now. I may give it to my niece someday. . . maybe I''ll keep it for now . . . maybe I''ll give it to my Mom. But, I just love the cut of it, and thought BE or not, it''s a pretty stone.

original.aspx

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty ring! And the price was sure right.
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 1:19:53 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Very pretty ring! And the price was sure right.
36.gif
FREE, with a side of headache and tears.
2.gif

Thanks, Fly Girl!!!!
1.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Lauren, that is seriously beautiful. Sorry for all of your trouble. And yet, wow, how gorgeous. What a paradox!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like I said, no one will know but you and a few PSer''s that it is BE treated! SWOOOON! It just glows!!! THUD!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A happy ending and a gorgeous looking ring. It was meant to be that you had that stone, one way or another!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
It looks fab, Lauren! I love the cut, too. It seems like asscher crossed with cushion
18.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took more pics of it tonight with my other Barry stones.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Handshot

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Farther away

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kittah wanted to see . . .

original.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results