shape
carat
color
clarity

My hunt for 3.0 Studs - on a Budget

ean

Brilliant_Rock
You are going to see them tomorrow in person, correct?

I’d say go with your gut. If you see them and love them, they are eye clean to you, and would sleep better at night knowing you have 3ct studs for the price, then go with what you think is best for you.

It seems like you’re pretty set about getting these, and are trying to convince the people here who’s telling you otherwise. I hope you come to a resolution when you see them tomorrow. Goodluck!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are going to see them tomorrow in person, correct?

I’d say go with your gut. If you see them and love them, they are eye clean to you, and would sleep better at night knowing you have 3ct studs for the price, then go with what you think is best for you.

It seems like you’re pretty set about getting these, and are trying to convince the people here who’s telling you otherwise. I hope you come to a resolution when you see them tomorrow. Goodluck!

This exact thing happened with the OP with her previous earrings. She talked herself into it and regretted it enormously. She lost a lot in the sale of the diamonds when she decided to get rid of them.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
The picture is blurry, so not adequate to determine how the stone looks.

Goong to see them tomorrow i tried to upload the video but i can’t figure it out

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
This exact thing happened with the OP with her previous earrings. She talked herself into it and regretted it enormously. She lost a lot in the sale of the diamonds when she decided to get rid of them.

The actual story of my studs is when my mother passed away the same year as 9/11 I took all of her old costume jewelry sold them and I went to a local jewelry store Gary Michael’s and I bought the 2.40’s with EGL international certificates. I was not on pricescope at the time.
When I finally this year to sell the studs I sent them to GIA to be certified
I was very shocked to see that they were j si1 and KI1. Instead of G sI1 as the EGL Certs mislead me as an uninformed buyer
I really never got any advice for price Scope then
The circumstances are 100% different now. I’m going in with a small understanding of diamonds. I’m not looking for perfection I’m looking for GIA 3x. Eye clean stones between G-H
I am not a price shop guru. I observe and look at the stunning collections that many members have.
I just want a “nice”pair of studs that is in my budget .

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The actual story of my studs is when my mother passed away the same year as 9/11 I took all of her old costume jewelry sold them and I went to a local jewelry store Gary Michael’s and I bought the 2.40’s with EGL international certificates. I was not on pricescope at the time.
When I finally this year to sell the studs I sent them to GIA to be certified
I was very shocked to see that they were j si1 and KI1. Instead of G sI1 as the EGL Certs mislead me as an uninformed buyer
I really never got any advice for price Scope then
The circumstances are 100% different now. I’m going in with a small understanding of diamonds. I’m not looking for perfection I’m looking for GIA 3x. Eye clean stones between G-H
I am not a price shop guru. I observe and look at the stunning collections that many members have.
I just want a “nice”pair of studs that is in my budget .

Ok, so why are you asking for opinions here?

Good luck. I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so why are you asking for opinions here?

Good luck. I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

Because I like to torture myself. My husband is okay with what ever I want but doesn't want to hear about the details or the choices. So I guess I'm laying it all out here....

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Because I like to torture myself. My husband is okay with what ever I want but doesn't want to hear about the details or the choices. So I guess I'm laying it all out here....

Thanks for understanding you have all been very patient with me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck to you @heididdl tomorrow. You have a tall order to fill for the size and color within your budget. If it were me, I would be happy to scale back the size or color to get diamonds with a decent cut. Hopefully you will be able to see other diamonds as well to compare before you make your final decision. Just remember you can always walk away and take some time to think about things. It is often times the hasty decisions we make that cause us the most angst. Please let us know what you thought about the diamonds you are going to see.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the lack of responses is because while you are indicating that you know you have to compromise, yet you're not really doing so.

Breakdown: You are not willing to compromise on...
....size, you want 3.0ctw
....budget, 17.5k or less
....lab, you want GIA
....cut grade, you want 3X
....color, you want G-H
....clarity, you want SI

That's a tall order. The amount it takes to purchase 3.0ctw, G-H, SI, 3x is soooo much higher than 17.5k that you aren't going to be left with options that can be validated comfortably.

Using the PS search tool for 1.5ct, G-H, SI1, GIA, 3x stones the options start at $9600. So the compromise is budget.... can you go up to 19k?

If not, what is the next compromise you are willing to make? GIA 3x seems to be a good place to stay, sounds like 3.0ctw is important to you, I wouldn't go lower than SI clarity, so that leaves you with color.

I color only leaves you with one option at 7k, the rest still start at 9k If you slide down to J color there are several options and put you at 16-17k for the pair.

So with J color, you meet all of your criteria with color being the only compromise. It seems the only other option is to increase your budget. Or go with diamonds that have inclusions that are undesirable, hence the lower price, and we'd be hard-pressed to validate them.

One other path I might suggest is to contact David at Diamonds by Lauren. He has been a proponent of non-ideal cut diamonds being beautiful here on PS. If anyone can find you a beautiful pair outside of ideal parameters, he's the one that comes to my mind.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I think the lack of responses is because while you are indicating that you know you have to compromise, yet you're not really doing so.

Breakdown: You are not willing to compromise on...
....size, you want 3.0ctw
....budget, 17.5k or less
....lab, you want GIA
....cut grade, you want 3X
....color, you want G-H
....clarity, you want SI

That's a tall order. The amount it takes to purchase 3.0ctw, G-H, SI, 3x is soooo much higher than 17.5k that you aren't going to be left with options that can be validated comfortably.

Using the PS search tool for 1.5ct, G-H, SI1, GIA, 3x stones the options start at $9600. So the compromise is budget.... can you go up to 19k?

If not, what is the next compromise you are willing to make? GIA 3x seems to be a good place to stay, sounds like 3.0ctw is important to you, I wouldn't go lower than SI clarity, so that leaves you with color.

I color only leaves you with one option at 7k, the rest still start at 9k If you slide down to J color there are several options and put you at 16-17k for the pair.

So with J color, you meet all of your criteria with color being the only compromise. It seems the only other option is to increase your budget. Or go with diamonds that have inclusions that are undesirable, hence the lower price, and we'd be hard-pressed to validate them.

One other path I might suggest is to contact David at Diamonds by Lauren. He has been a proponent of non-ideal cut diamonds being beautiful here on PS. If anyone can find you a beautiful pair outside of ideal parameters, he's the one that comes to my mind.

IMG_1353.JPG I agree with you . I had posted I am going to see these tomorrow. I have videos and close ups .they fit the bill so I will keep you all up to date

thanks for the response really do appreciate it. They are asking $17900 set.

IMG_1354.JPG

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry heididl, I can't help with those diamonds... I myself go for ideal cuts and/or particular vendors as I am not great at deciphering the numbers and clarity plots. I need to work with someone who has done that for me and provides the information in a way that I can feel confident with my purchase, and offers policies that give me an out if my wants evolve. I admire those here who understand it all!

Best of luck to you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry heididl, I can't help with those diamonds... I myself go for ideal cuts and/or particular vendors as I am not great at deciphering the numbers and clarity plots. I need to work with someone who has done that for me and provides the information in a way that I can feel confident with my purchase, and offers policies that give me an out if my wants evolve. I admire those here who understand it all!

Best of luck to you!

I admire and respect that thank you

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi @heididdl I have followed your journey.

I know you don't want to hear this but since your original studs were GIA J/K color, why not consider these?

Yes, with the 3% wire discount, you will be $1K over the current pair you are considering, but I just think you will love these and you will know that you have super ideal cut stones.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one more thing to keep in mind. Stones that have a greater than desired depth and thicker girdle don’t face up as large as their well cut counterparts. You can have a diamond that weighs 1.50 carats but faces up more like a 1.30 diamond. So would it be better to aim for well cut 1.30 diamond for a total of 2.60 or pay for 3 carats but not have the look? Just some food for thought - I like to know all the details before I spend my money and hopefully you feel the same way.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
What is your long term goal for these?

Keep forever once you find the perfect diamonds, or eventually trade-in and upgrade?

If keeping forever, then I'm going to suggest LGD, because that will instantly get you into true colorless range and VS1 or better grade for about half of your budget.

James Allen does include their LGDs as part of their upgrade program now.

Plenty of help and assistance over at the MMD subforum, should you at least want to open it up as an option...I've already found you a pair of 1.7ct/3.4ctw D VS2 grown with HPHT (mimics the way the earth does it) with super ideal specs and hearts & arrows listed on the certs for just under $10400 for the pair. I can tweak some things and find you 1.5ct/3.0ctw for even less. Start a thread over there and I will list the 1.7s, but only if you want to explore that realm of diamonds.

Some food for thought.

If you have an affinity for, and want, the allure of earth grown, then I totally understand that.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you don't want to hear this but since your original studs were GIA J/K color, why not consider these?

Yes, with the 3% wire discount, you will be $1K over the current pair you are considering, but I just think you will love these and you will know that you have super ideal cut stones.

Excellent suggestion. Please reconsider @heididdl. Please step back for just a second. You’ve been through quite a bit with your last pair of studs and you want to learn from your previous experience. With your previous pair you also wanted “nice enough” but you ended up with a pair that you sent what you expected. You have a second chance. Although you say you will never upgrade, fully closing the door on the option when you don’t absolutely have to may not be wise this time around. The pair that @lulu_ma is suggesting is a super ideal cut by WF and the sparkle factor is significantly and noticeably higher than the pairs you have posted. Do not in haste compromise again, when you are NOT required to. Please pause and give yourself another chance. Please, I implore you. The responses of many people regarding the quality of your stones despite your repeated requests for confirmation should be clear. @Tourmaline spoke the honest truth and please try to listen. I totally understand you just want it be done but not at the price of not making the best decision you can. Hugs to you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom line is just this - if 3.0 carat studs in G-H color, GIA 3x cut were to be had for 17k, everyone on PS would have them. You can count on that as there are many diamond savvy, knowledgeable folks here. Everyone compromises on something - usually size - and that is why they choose a vendor with great upgrade policies. Sometimes folks get what they want first shot but often it is a process. 17k is a substantial sum of money and we don’t want to see you waste it or get stuck with something you really don’t love with no way to change them or upgrade them. I think we would all be doing you a great disservice if we didn’t point out some of these things BEFORE you spend your hard earned money. I hope you understand where we are coming from - not to disappoint or discourage you but rather to help you understand so that you can make a wise decision.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom line is just this - if 3.0 carat studs in G-H color, GIA 3x cut were to be had for 17k, everyone on PS would have them. You can count on that as there are many diamond savvy, knowledgeable folks here. Everyone compromises on something - usually size - and that is why they choose a vendor with great upgrade policies. Sometimes folks get what they want first shot but often it is a process. 17k is a substantial sum of money and we don’t want to see you waste it or get stuck with something you really don’t love with no way to change them or upgrade them. I think we would all be doing you a great disservice if we didn’t point out some of these things BEFORE you spend your hard earned money. I hope you understand where we are coming from - not to disappoint or discourage you but rather to help you understand so that you can make a wise decision.

Yes, and even if you really like them at first glance, you won’t have a chance to see them in every kind of lighting until you take them home and wear them. And I’m a quite certain that you will find some environments where you won’t love them. But by that time it will be too late. The great thing is that with a super ideal cut, the chances of finding an environment where you won’t love them as soooooo much slimmer. I also have had GIA 3x, and at first glance though very pretty I did find over the course of a year more and more environments where it did not perform optimally. So not figuring out you don’t love something can take time and we want to help you mitigate that possibility. Also what @MissGotRocks said about the process is so true. It can be time consuming and may try your patience but it is worth it. I also used to think I couldn’t afford super ideal cuts. But the truth is I didn’t want to. Unfortunately for me, being who I am, I needed them. I wish I was more patient and more open to possibilities.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Very good suggestion thanks so much for taking the time .

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Really appreciate that.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and even if you really like them at first glance, you won’t have a chance to see them in every kind of lighting until you take them home and wear them. And I’m a quite certain that you will find some environments where you won’t love them. But by that time it will be too late. The great thing is that with a super ideal cut, the chances of finding an environment where you won’t love them as soooooo much slimmer. I also have had GIA 3x, and at first glance though very pretty I did find over the course of a year more and more environments where it did not perform optimally. So not figuring out you don’t love something can take time and we want to help you mitigate that possibility. Also what @MissGotRocks said about the process is so true. It can be time consuming and may try your patience but it is worth it. I also used to think I couldn’t afford super ideal cuts. But the truth is I didn’t want to. Unfortunately for me, being who I am, I needed them. I wish I was more patient and more open to possibilities.

That is a very good perception. A lot to mull over

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Excellent suggestion. Please reconsider @heididdl. Please step back for just a second. You’ve been through quite a bit with your last pair of studs and you want to learn from your previous experience. With your previous pair you also wanted “nice enough” but you ended up with a pair that you sent what you expected. You have a second chance. Although you say you will never upgrade, fully closing the door on the option when you don’t absolutely have to may not be wise this time around. The pair that @lulu_ma is suggesting is a super ideal cut by WF and the sparkle factor is significantly and noticeably higher than the pairs you have posted. Do not in haste compromise again, when you are NOT required to. Please pause and give yourself another chance. Please, I implore you. The responses of many people regarding the quality of your stones despite your repeated requests for confirmation should be clear. @Tourmaline spoke the honest truth and please try to listen. I totally understand you just want it be done but not at the price of not making the best decision you can. Hugs to you.

I guess I am listening what don’t hear you I’ve never bought this type of purchase on line. The money I have is all cash and I am not one to order and return
So there is logistical factors plus going from 2.40 to 2.80 even though there is a wow factor is also allot fo consider. I don’t mind the I color.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am listening what don’t hear you I’ve never bought this type of purchase on line. The money I have is all cash and I am not one to order and return
So there is logistical factors plus going from 2.40 to 2.80 even though there is a wow factor is also allot fo consider. I don’t mind the I color.

I think I understand what you’re saying but maybe the words in the last post got jumbled. I know it’s scary to buy online. I get it. But WF will send to you and back insured and free of charge. That would be the biggest risk. Are logistics an issue? If you have the money in a bank you can wire to them. Quick and easy with a small fee. Very secure. They are trustworthy and won’t abscond with your funds or send you the wrong stone. It’s all insured both ways at their cost. Let’s say you want to return, also free of charge insured shipping. You have to decide whether the possibility of stunning beautiful diamonds are worth the risk. This process is just new to you. But one can adapt and get comfortable. It’s a new world. Change is necessary and many times beneficial to you, the consumer. I hope I am understanding your last post correctly. We just all so very much want you to end up with earrings that blow your socks off, always.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Can I make a suggestion? Perhaps hold both of the WF stones. Have them ship one of the stones so you have in hand to compare to the ones you are considering.

I do know what you mean, though. I remember when I bought my OEC, I felt nauseous just messaging Alex Park! It all worked out though. This is the beauty of PS-you know that Whiteflash is a trusted, established vendor that many PSers have done business with.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you can deposit the money in your bank account and get the bank to wire the funds. Between WF and the bank they will walk you through the process should you decide to go that route. New is often scary but not impossible so don’t let that part scare you off.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Very good suggestion thanks so much for taking the time .

They are Gorgous how can you tell where the flashes are or because they are so sparkly it doesn’t matter. I am so confused. Now

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I think I understand what you’re saying but maybe the words in the last post got jumbled. I know it’s scary to buy online. I get it. But WF will send to you and back insured and free of charge. That would be the biggest risk. Are logistics an issue? If you have the money in a bank you can wire to them. Quick and easy with a small fee. Very secure. They are trustworthy and won’t abscond with your funds or send you the wrong stone. It’s all insured both ways at their cost. Let’s say you want to return, also free of charge insured shipping. You have to decide whether the possibility of stunning beautiful diamonds are worth the risk. This process is just new to you. But one can adapt and get comfortable. It’s a new world. Change is necessary and many times beneficial to you, the consumer. I hope I am understanding your last post correctly. We just all so very much want you to end up with earrings that blow your socks off, always.

Not in bank under mattress how do you them put $18000 in a bank in cash. Hmmm lol

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the hand holding you know what happens if i go tomorrow and they “look nice “ I have to be held back to buy them because it’s easy
The WF stones look amazing though and i gotta be honest with my piercing being so low I am a little concerned the 1.5 will sit too low on my ear. I wish my husband was willing to be more involved i am in the car telling him about these conversations and he just doesn’t want to hear it

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
They are Gorgous how can you tell where the flashes are or because they are so sparkly it doesn’t matter. I am so confused. Now

When you view the sparkle videos, keep in mind that a camera is only 1 lens and is only able to depict a portion of what a human with two eyes/lens can simultaneously see. That's the very basis why the most common phrase written is "the pictures/videos doesn't do it justice" on just about every diamond and jewelry forum across the world wide web.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the hand holding you know what happens if i go tomorrow and they “look nice “ I have to be held back to buy them because it’s easy
The WF stones look amazing though and i gotta be honest with my piercing being so low I am a little concerned the 1.5 will sit too low on my ear. I wish my husband was willing to be more involved i am in the car telling him about

That’s what we’re here for;-)

I just have a feeling that you are going to love love the WF ones. AND you will know you have super ideal cut studs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results