shape
carat
color
clarity

My hunt for 3.0 Studs - on a Budget

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Just an aside, do you know for sure the store you are going to will accept that much cash? Anything over 10k in cash must be reported on a currency transaction report and smaller businesses (car dealerships etc) usually try to avoid this as it is a pain since they don't do them often. Hence many small stores won't accept that much cash. A bank will also file one but they file 1000s a day so it isn't as much of a big deal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one more thing to keep in mind. Stones that have a greater than desired depth and thicker girdle don’t face up as large as their well cut counterparts. You can have a diamond that weighs 1.50 carats but faces up more like a 1.30 diamond. So would it be better to aim for well cut 1.30 diamond for a total of 2.60 or pay for 3 carats but not have the look? Just some food for thought - I like to know all the details before I spend my money and hopefully you feel the same way.

I came here to say this. It makes zero sense to buy stones that are technically 1.5ct but face up like 1.3 bc of poor cut.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Just an aside, do you know for sure the store you are going to will accept that much cash? Anything over 10k in cash must be reported on a currency transaction report and smaller businesses (car dealerships etc) usually try to avoid this as it is a pain since they don't do them often. Hence many small stores won't accept that much cash. A bank will also file one but they file 1000s a day so it isn't as much of a big deal.

I do not. Lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, the idea of so much cash makes me nauseous. Seems terrifying!

I really think you need to think carefully about this purchase and not rush in. We are trying to help.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I came here to say this. It makes zero sense to buy stones that are technically 1.5ct but face up like 1.3 bc of poor cut.

Aha crown angle and 56” table ?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is the 63.9 depth and the slightly thick to thick girdle. Weight is hidden in the girdle and depth is generally not recommended to be more than say 62.2 or 62.3. The diameter of the diamonds will face up like a 1.30 - 1.35 carat diamond because of those measurements. That is why I say that even though the diamond may weigh 1.50 carat on the scale, it won’t face up as large as a well cut 1.50 diamond. Remember, you get what you pay for and there is a reason those diamonds are priced the way they are. I just want you to be aware of that before you decide.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is the 63.9 depth and the slightly thick to thick girdle. Weight is hidden in the girdle and depth is generally not recommended to be more than say 62.2 or 62.3. The diameter of the diamonds will face up like a 1.30 - 1.35 carat diamond because of those measurements. That is why I say that even though the diamond may weigh 1.50 carat on the scale, it won’t face up as large as a well cut 1.50 diamond. Remember, you get what you pay for and there is a reason those diamonds are priced the way they are. I just want you to be aware of that before you decide.

Exactly.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I put the two stones in my shopping cart. With taxes and wire transfer its nearly $21,000 himmmm budget $17,500
:(. Back to drawing board .

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are using the wire price if 9321.00 per diamond? Add those and your sales tax together

Now it’s time to get hubby’s attention - you need a bit more money!! Hope he is willing - lol!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so I put the two stones in my shopping cart. With taxes and wire transfer its nearly $21,000 himmmm budget $17,500

This might seem like a significant difference in the moment. However, I would urge you to have an open mind about upgrading. If you go down in size (reading some of your posts sounds like the lesser of two evils vs. color for you) and hit all of your other markers, you will satisfy your urge to have something now, within budget. It will be almost, but not quite, with the possibility of being The Dream. Then you only need to focus on saving up 2-4k to get to your dream pair.

If you dive in on studs that you don't really love for the sake of having them now, you likely won't have this option. You will be out 17.5k and back to square one with studs that you may not love down the road. It will be almost, but not quite, with no possibility for The Dream.

If you lower your standards and go with ideal stones that come with a great upgrade policy, you leave yourself open to the option of having it all. If you saved up 18k, I imagine you could save up 2-4k in less time than you think. Then you'd have studs that satisfy your 'need them now' impulse and in another year? two years? three years? you'll have your ultimate dream studs. That time will fly.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Whoa! What’s your tax rate? Do you have any very good friends in NH?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might seem like a significant difference in the moment. However, I would urge you to have an open mind about upgrading. If you go down in size (reading some of your posts sounds like the lesser of two evils vs. color for you) and hit all of your other markers, you will satisfy your urge to have something now, within budget. It will be almost, but not quite, with the possibility of being The Dream. Then you only need to focus on saving up 2-4k to get to your dream pair.

If you dive in on studs that you don't really love for the sake of having them now, you likely won't have this option. You will be out 17.5k and back to square one with studs that you may not love down the road. It will be almost, but not quite, with no possibility for The Dream.

If you lower your standards and go with ideal stones that come with a great upgrade policy, you leave yourself open to the option of having it all. If you saved up 18k, I imagine you could save up 2-4k in less time than you think. Then you'd have studs that satisfy your 'need them now' impulse and in another year? two years? three years? you'll have your ultimate dream studs. That time will fly.

This. ESPECIALLY since the other options that OP posted were 1.5 in weight but actually faced up like 1.3

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@heididdl I have been following your journey also; fwiw I think that the ones you sold looked great on your lobes size-wise so imagine that size even a little bigger would hopefully be in your budget and bam you have all that fire in the ACA stones and the upgrade policy to fall back on as well. I wish I had known about WF when I purchased my earrings bc one day would like 4 ctw and the upgrade policy is so good with WF.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
@heididdl I have been following your journey also; fwiw I think that the ones you sold looked great on your lobes size-wise so imagine that size even a little bigger would hopefully be in your budget and bam you have all that fire in the ACA stones and the upgrade policy to fall back on as well. I wish I had known about WF when I purchased my earrings bc one day would like 4 ctw and the upgrade policy is so good with WF.

Still think the aca are out of budget the hubby will not let me spend any more of the budget we started with a budget of $12 it’s grown to $17 I’m pushing the envelope

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ok here is another option that had a match earlier today:(

.16 mm smaller than the 1.4 options

You have a very healthy budget and we all want to see you get the best for your money.

I just can’t see going down to 1.30 since i told 1.21
I could stomach 1.40 aca but i don’t think i can find another $3000 with out my husband agreeing I’m pushing it as it is.
I have a lot to think about also considering the one stone H stone and asking for a new second one

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can’t see going down to 1.30 since i told 1.21
I could stomach 1.40 aca but i don’t think i can find another $3000 with out my husband agreeing I’m pushing it as it is.
I have a lot to think about also considering the one stone H stone and asking for a new second one

I guess my point is that the stones you were considering earlier in this thread face up as 1.3, so that's what they will look like.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@heididdl this is what Garry H just wrote this on another thread. I think his statemtn is applicable here, as well:

But they do not work as earrings.
Light is coming from totally the wrong direction.
There will be zip fire flashes and reduced brilliance.

I could recut those old mine diamonds, loose 1/3rd the carat weight and you would swear on ears they were larger diameter.
Go with the left side on the chart - even see if you can find some 60 60 GIA VG's etc. 842632

Garry Holloway BSc FGAA DipDT
Sparkliologist, Jeweller, HCA and Ideal-Scope Inventor
HollowayDiamonds.com.au Ideal-Scope.com HollowayCutAdviser.com

Last edited:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I guess my point is that the stones you were considering earlier in this thread face up as 1.3, so that's what they will look like.

Exactly. I think OP needs to stop thinking in terms of carat weight and start looking at diameter. Yeah you may not get that magic 3.0 number but by buying the 1.3 ACAs diameter wise it’s not going to be much different and a fireball of a stone always looks better than a just ok stone. I would stop worrying about carat weight and think about cut as a priority. And shopping with a vendor that has an upgrade policy would be a smart choice as you can enjoy your beautiful 2.6 to 2.8 ctw studs now and start saving for the upgrade to the desired 3.0 in the future. It’s never a good idea to rush into something just because you want it NOW.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
At this juncture i think some of you are chiming in and not reading the thread . I have gotten a lot of great advice. I will take all into consideration. I think that some of the comments are getting a little hurtful. Remember this is a lot of money and consideration for my mindset is also important

So thanks again those of you who have been very helpful.
If I end up buying new studs I will post them in the diamond stud post as now

I am afraid no matter what decision I make i will be judged.
Good night to all and thank you again.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, here me out: GIA triple X, as requested, you'd need to contact them for the grading reports and verify they are eye clean, but I think these are sooooo close, AND under your budget (well, maybe not with tax):
At this juncture i think some of you are chiming in and not reading the thread . I have gotten a lot of great advice. I will take all into consideration. I think that some of the comments are getting a little hurtful. Remember this is a lot of money and consideration for my mindset is also important

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not in bank under mattress how do you them put $18000 in a bank in cash. Hmmm lol

you... deposit it???

Yes, if I was going to end up with diamonds that face up the same size as 1.3 ct ideal cuts, I'd just get the 1.3 ct ideal cuts so I could be sure they'd be sparkly.

Heidi, I have read the whole thread and I too feel like you may be rushing into things. Your budget isn't sufficient for your desires. That's fine and normal and something we all deal with. You have to compromise on SOMETHING now. The choice you have here is to compromise on something and end up quite possibly locked into your choice and losing a lot of money if you later decide you want to get no-compromise studs, or putting your money in a bank (PLEASE PUT YOUR MONEY IN A BANK!), getting superideal studs and compromising on size from a vendor you can upgrade with, AND having the option to upgrade in the future if you decide you want to put more money into them. The thing that I think distressed you most about your old studs, other than that you had basically been lied to, was feeling like you were "stuck" with them with no good options now that you wanted to change. We're all trying to help you avoid that exact same scenario happening again. I know you think this will be your final upgrade, but shit happens! Plans change! And since we all know you are having to compromise on something now, we can guess that this has a higher likelihood of not being your final upgrade than if you were getting exactly what you want.

However also I found these are AGS ideals with excellent HCA scores on JA:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I ask for advice, I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I try to consider all the information that I am given but ultimately I will make the decision for myself. You will obviously do the same. No one is trying to judge you but instead wanted you to end up with the best possible pair of diamond earrings. Reading anything other than that into it would mean that the advice is misconstrued.
Best of luck to you and I hope you end up with diamond earrings that you love…that was always the point!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results