shape
carat
color
clarity

My hunt for 3.0 Studs - on a Budget

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Deposit $6k or $7k at at time. It's not hard. Walk in and give them your cash.

We should probably avoid casual money laundering. I'd deposit it all, you just explain where it came from but better than doing it incrementally and be accused of structuring.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We should probably avoid casual money laundering. I'd deposit it all, you just explain where it came from but better than doing it incrementally and be accused of structuring.

Agreed, working in banking there are other reports we file for cash deposits under 10 k that we just don't inform the customer about. Structuring is a very real possibility and has its own penalties. A CTR is not a bad thing, its just a hey I got this money mowing lawns or insert xzy reason here.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that, but then again I don't keep large sums of cash that I need to deposit.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
@heididdl this is what Garry H just wrote this on another thread. I think his statemtn is applicable here, as well:

But they do not work as earrings.
Light is coming from totally the wrong direction.
There will be zip fire flashes and reduced brilliance.

I could recut those old mine diamonds, loose 1/3rd the carat weight and you would swear on ears they were larger diameter.
Go with the left side on the chart - even see if you can find some 60 60 GIA VG's etc. 842632

Garry Holloway BSc FGAA DipDT
Sparkliologist, Jeweller, HCA and Ideal-Scope Inventor
HollowayDiamonds.com.au Ideal-Scope.com HollowayCutAdviser.com

So confused which column should I look at to find the best cut for studs

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So confused which column should I look at to find the best cut for studs

First two columns on the left, but I would extend that into any column excluding the right-most one.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are your moms studs that your sister has now - super sentimental to your sister?
Have you explored trading (or outright buying them from) with your sister?
I apologize if that’s already been addressed elsewhere.

have you thought of which is the less stress inducing to you of the two below?

-The time and search effort it will take in finding earth mined in your desired parameters at your price (i may be overstating but it sounds like you will have to wait for someone’s distress sale - but would you be comfortable in a person to person transaction anyways?)
Or
-Revisiting your questions on LGD alternative?

Last edited:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Are your moms studs that your sister has now - super sentimental to your sister?
Have you explored trading (or outright buying them from) with your sister?
I apologize if that’s already been addressed elsewhere.

have you thought of which is the less stress inducing to you of the two below?

-The time and search effort it will take in finding earth mined in your desired parameters at your price (i may be overstating but it sounds like you will have to wait for someone’s distress sale - but would you be comfortable in a person to person transaction anyways?)
Or
-Revisiting your questions on LGD alternative?

I would. Never my sister loves the earrings and they are H VS1 and H VVs1 so no way

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what did you think about them? Did you like the size, color and clarity of them?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
So what did you think about them? Did you like the size, color and clarity of them?

I have decided it is better for my brain to share the outcome and not the details. I went to philly today and looked at 6 stones. I laid out the Chart you guys gave me and she tried to the best of her ability to show me stones on the left side of the chart. The attached stones was our outcome. I really want to get the video on here

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have decided it is better for my brain to share the outcome and not the details. I went to philly today and looked at 6 stones. I laid out the Chart you guys gave me and she tried to the best of her ability to show me stones on the left side of the chart. The attached stones was our outcome. I really want to get the video on here

If you are happy, I'd leave well enough alone.

Posting stats or photos that people may comment on will likely not serve anything. I'd just enjoy the earrings and move ahead! Inevitably, someone is going to come in and critique something, and I don't think that's really constructive here when you've already made a purchase.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As long as you are happy with what you have chosen that’s all that matters. Hope you can get the video posted - would love to see them!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
studsnip.png I can't post the video

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, working in banking there are other reports we file for cash deposits under 10 k that we just don't inform the customer about. Structuring is a very real possibility and has its own penalties. A CTR is not a bad thing, its just a hey I got this money mowing lawns or insert xzy reason here.

No worries I'm going to wire the money when I am ready.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, Heidi, so this is a hail mary :shifty:

Since you haven't wired the money yet, I'm going to post these. I know you don't want J but they look like high Js ( I threw in an I for comparison). I know they aren't as big as you want, but just look at the sparkle! A bit below your budget. Get these killer studs now and at your birthday or the holidays you can bump up the color and size.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
You’ve received some good advice here @heididdl from very knowledgeable people. Just remember the old saying “haste makes waste”. Please give yourself the time you need to pick out a pair of beautifully-cut diamonds. You won’t regret it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, Heidi, so this is a hail mary :shifty:

Since you haven't wired the money yet, I'm going to post these. I know you don't want J but they look like high Js ( I threw in an I for comparison). I know they aren't as big as you want, but just look at the sparkle! A bit below your budget. Get these killer studs now and at your birthday or the holidays you can bump up the color and size.

Thank you for taking the time. They are nice. I'm 62 year young I've updated 3x already this is my last upgrade for my husbands sanity.
Those are beautiful sparkly stones. Thanks again

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for taking the time. They are nice. I'm 62 year young I've updated 3x already this is my last upgrade for my husbands sanity.
Those are beautiful sparkly stones. Thanks again

Hey, we are all living longer Heidi! You could easily have these studs for the next 20 years. You deserve ones that knock your socks off ;-)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is my last upgrade
Why? I am genuinely curious and I ask with respect.

"my last upgrade for my husbands sanity."

I recall you mentioning in one of your posts that he didn't want to hear about it any more. Between that comment and your comment above, it sounds like he is not particularly invested or positive about the process. I recall he has contributed to the fund, but also that you have sold part of your own Barbie collection to raise funds and also that you have a good job. Does he need to be a part of this moving forward? It's not a gift from him, and it's not being funded by him apart from the contribution he was comfortable making. So if you go with a company that has a good upgrade policy, couldn't you save up the upgrade money from your own income and handle the upgrade without his involvement?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Why? I am genuinely curious and I ask with respect.

"my last upgrade for my husbands sanity."

I recall you mentioning in one of your posts that he didn't want to hear about it any more. Between that comment and your comment above, it sounds like he is not particularly invested or positive about the process. I recall he has contributed to the fund, but also that you have sold part of your own Barbie collection to raise funds and also that you have a good job. Does he need to be a part of this moving forward? It's not a gift from him, and it's not being funded by him apart from the contribution he was comfortable making. So if you go with a company that has a good upgrade policy, couldn't you save up the upgrade money from your own income and handle the upgrade without his involvement?

Thank you for asking. I did buy a pair today and he gave me the last $1300 I needed. He is really happy I'm happy but he has listened to me endlessly after each and every post . Each and every diamond store I made him stop at to look at sizes, try on setting.

He just wants me to make a decision. If I decided to go with WF he would have been fine with it. But I have been all over the place and I guess I don't blame him. He asked me if it makes you happy do it. Do we have a retirement fund NO. So its also something I don't bring up alot as 12-20,000 is alot to spend when you have little retirement .

I know this is selfish so I am also trying to do it quietly rationalizing I want to wear them and we will figure out retirement I'm still actively working.
Albeit I have 3 kids weddings, and future grand children I hope to spoil.

Also I find as many of you here might that the thrill of the hunt might be more exciting than the result. I thrive on drama and the hunt. I love reading all these posts and I love second guessing myself.

I also loved going to the diamond district in Philadelphia and spending hours with my laptop open to HCA tool , looking at stones plugging in numbers .
they had so many stones to look at . Generally you see things on line you order 1-2 and you judge from your home.
There is nothing like selecting your own pair of studs and watching them be made from scratch
That is it for me!
I am so happy with my decision and I will share them when I get them hopefully Thursday.
PS they just called they are ready for pick up already

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Sounds like you found a pair that you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results