shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dream Ring: 8.1mm European Cut Diamond

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I always said (thought) I wanted a three stone, yes I sold a diamond a year ago in part because it was too big, yes I am a changable creature... we all know the history! :lol:

But I had been saving to set my three stone and kept finding excuses not to do it. I couldn't decide on a setting, I couldn't decide whether I liked the big side stones or smaller side stones. Somehow I had a mental block about that project. And when I saw Demelza's huge OEC -- the first time I had the pleasure of seeing such a large and amazing diamond in person -- GAME OVER!! I wanted one too ;( InnaR said in my three stone thread that she thought I was a solitaire girl at heart. And I realized she is right. It just needs to be a really big solitaire :devil: Social norms be darned.

But I had also been wondering if maybe old cuts were not for me. I love so much about old cuts -- the chunkiness, the history, the uniqueness. But I cannot stand lazy central facets, leakage, hazy mush. I am OCD about cut!! My 7mm OEC is about as good as it gets in a traditional OEC and even that stone niggled at me in terms of optics. So I was considering getting an RB again!

And then yesterday I stumbled on a listing on ebay that made me stop in my tracks and gasp out loud! This is it! The holy grail, the one in a million cut! Just what I have been looking for! I made an offer, back and forth we went, seller shipped overnight, and I made a day long trip to pick it up today.

It is love at first sight!! :love: :love: :love: This diamond is perfect, all my dreams come true: Huge, white, perfect chunky optics, and a gorgeous setting. It is that rarest of rare cuts: a very symmetrical later European cut, what some call transitional. Like a chunkier, bolder, modern RB. The cutter who crafted this stone was a master. And it is *perfect* for me. Looks so much like Demelza's stone! And others I have admired on PS: jjc's, happy canary's, kennedy's.

So, may I introduce my 8.1mm later period European cut diamond, likely from the 1920s. Estimated G color, SI1 clarity with no under table inclusions, 1.9ct. In a supposedly authentic platinum octagonal-bezel prong-set mount.

I have named her "George" because I will love her, and kiss her, and squeeze her and never let her go.

george_011.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubba hubba! That is absolutely gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the bezel the ring gives 8.7mm of coverage :devil:

george_019.jpg

george_021.jpg

george_005.jpg

george_006.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The seller is an estate dealer and had an in house appraisal from a GG stating G color. I am going to have the ring appraised next week, but I think it is possible the stone is indeed a G color. It is blazing white! But oldies are funny, its possible it is more tinted. I don't really care about the color, all I know is to my eye it has no tint!

george_0.jpg

george_008.jpg

george_010.jpg

george_012.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the bezel, this is a massive look. I love it :sun: I missed having a huge diamond this past year, I am just that type of gal!

george_002.jpg

george_004.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you can see the arrows, which tells us a couple things about the cut. First, the stone has amazing optical symmetry to create such a crisp and perfect arrow pattern. It also tells us that the lower girdle facets are long, which helps us date the stone. This type of old cut is verging on an MRB, and in my experience when the lgf get longer and the table a little larger -- this one is about 50% -- and the crown and depth more similar to MRBs... VOILA! No obstruction issues, and no under table leakage. Yippee!

george_015.jpg

george_016.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1342243641|3233668 said:
Here you can see the arrows, which tells us a couple things about the cut. First, the stone has amazing optical symmetry to create such a crisp and perfect arrow pattern. It also tells us that the lower girdle facets are long, which helps us date the stone. This type of old cut is verging on an MRB, and in my experience when the lgf get longer and the table a little larger -- this one is about 50% -- and the crown and depth more similar to MRBs... VOILA! No obstruction issues, and no under table leakage. Yippee!

That arrow shot is SO cool! Those arrows are beyond perfect; the cutter apparently really knew what he was doing! I've never seen such a symmetrical and precise older stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the setting. I think it might be authentic: it is die struck, and the filigree is perfect -- look at the little curls under the shoulders! The wheat pattern engraving is immaculate still, but there was milgrain around the bezel edge, the inner edge, that has mostly worn away :blackeye: My only complain is that the stone is a little high, but its not too bad.

george_017.jpg

george_020.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I know you already know how I feel about this ring, but I have to say it again -- that is absolutely STUPENDOUS in every way! This ring has it all -- not a single compromise. Such a RARE find!!! Finally you have THE ONE -- I am so happy for you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1342243844|3233670 said:
Dreamer_D|1342243641|3233668 said:

That arrow shot is SO cool! Those arrows are beyond perfect; the cutter apparently really knew what he was doing! I've never seen such a symmetrical and precise older stone.

There are a few PS stones from this era with similar patterning! It is fun to see them all (see below). The precision of the arrows in my stone are a function of the symmetry of the cutting. I also took pains to take a photo that showed them *just right*. I would love to know from the owners of the other stones below if their stones have distinct arrows too! Seems like a characteristic cutting style of rom the 1920s to 1930s.

trannies.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! Wear it in great health! I'm so happy you have found your love!!! Are you going to keep the setting as is? 1.8 carats high color and great clarity! What more can you ask for! Can I ask what you paid (ballpark? or at least a range)?

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
*Beautiful* diamond AND setting! Congratulations Dreamer, you must be so thrilled! :)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It is perfection! :love: The cut is amazing and the setting is beautiful. It is an instant perfect antique ring, no fuss needed deciding on settings and such since it is in such a gorgeous true antique setting. Plus, the setting provides some awesome oomph in finger coverage! :naughty:

I am so happy for you that you found a diamond and ring that combines all of your wants and needs. :appl: it is truly the best of both worlds, great chunkiness of old cuts and awesome cut of modern stones.

What does this mean for your 3 stone? I have to admit, I have had a secret online affair with those diamonds...I frequented your thread with the pictures-I love them. ;))

KatSullivan

Rough_Rock
Wow! It's a knock out! that is one of the most gorgeous stones I have ever seen. Enjoy it and wear it in good health!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I love George! She's gorgeous. :love:

Dreamer_D you're a lucky woman to have found such a treasure - Such symmetry!

You must wear her every day. :bigsmile:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! She's gorgeous! And huge!! :love: :love: :love: I think you should just keep her in her setting. They look made for each other.

Do you mind sharing the angles so that I can keep an eye out for exactly such an OEC? I've been looking for a 2ct for some time now. Started with searching RB, but now onto OEC cos the faceting is so attractive and I prefer fire.

Or do you happen to know if the seller has another exact same stone? If he doesn't, is it possible to share the name so that I can keep a lookout on his ebay listings?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Its.....

AMAZEBALLS :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Wow, George is perfect!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A match made in heaven! So happy for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love George and love the setting also!! :love: :love: :love: Wear in health and happiness!! And please, please, can we have more pics? :cheeky:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful, Dreamer! What an amazing find!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GEORGE...GEORGE....GEORGE... :mrgreen: I'm sorry I got carried away! Oh MY Dreamer....it is TrUlY Spectacular! It's a Dream.... Dreamer! :love:

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
I love it! The stone is so beautiful and I am in love with that setting! Congrats!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! That is an amazing stone!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
MY question is, who is the seller and do they have any more :naughty:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great looking stone and looks huge on your finger! Have you decided on what wedding band you will wear w/ it?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh GEEZ !!!!

What a BEAUTY !!!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Wowsers! Will you leave the setting as-is? It's an awesome stone, Dreamer!! :love:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! So glad you got the stone of your dreams, Dreamer! Will you keep it in that setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results