shape
carat
color
clarity

My Burma Myanmar gemstones :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Deal lol! I have 2 things I must purchase first but I can be looking in the mean time. I m trying to find around 10 carat, nice black star for a mans ring. Second, I semi committed myself to buying a 24 carat mint tourmaline ring. I wasn’t looking for tourmaline, but an antique dealer called me about an tourmaline ring which they received. I felt honored that they thought of me. its very big and sparkly, not something I would normally seek out, but once I saw it, the color had me. I would have to have it recut because of a significant window though.

Whoa that's a huge tourmaline! Any photos? You have lovely long fingers, perfect real estate for large stones!

I've been on the lookout for a mint tourmaline leaning towards the blue side. Hoping the Bangkok Gem Fair later this month might yield something.

I remember @Seaglow telling me black stars are fairly common in Thailand?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa that's a huge tourmaline! Any photos? You have lovely long fingers, perfect real estate for large stones!

I've been on the lookout for a mint tourmaline leaning towards the blue side. Hoping the Bangkok Gem Fair later this month might yield something.

Yes, I remember that too...I’ve been looking online, at AJSgems, and have someone checking at the Tucson gem fair, but he tends to be overpriced, so we’ll see what he finds and quotes. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Please Do keep us posted about what you come across! A bluish tourmaline would be beautiful on you!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few pics...I’d love your opinion on it. 185C8B8A-F304-407D-BF80-71A1341483E5.jpeg BB557D85-E254-42B4-B0A4-E127AE5E4C2C.jpeg It seems to have a slight shift in that it’s slightly more bluish on one half, and more yellowish on the other. I don’t mind this because i think of a Rothko painting, and the color shifting is beautiful. It doesn’t seem to lose saturation within the stone. I asked Dan Stair about recutting and i feel positive about having this done. I think a little touch up would really make it the color/light come up from the center. Otherwise it’s clean, 1930’s from Brazil, comes with Gia paperwork..

Actually, I’m not sure if this is ‘mint’ but I’m not sure what else to call this color.

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are a few pics...I’d love your opinion on it. 185C8B8A-F304-407D-BF80-71A1341483E5.jpeg BB557D85-E254-42B4-B0A4-E127AE5E4C2C.jpeg It seems to have a slight shift in that it’s slightly more bluish on one half, and more yellowish on the other. I don’t mind this because i think of a Rothko painting, and the color shifting is beautiful. It doesn’t seem to lose saturation within the stone. I asked Dan Stair about recutting and i feel positive about having this done. I think a little touch up would really make it the color/light come up from the center. Otherwise it’s clean, 1930’s from Brazil, comes with Gia paperwork..

Actually, I’m not sure if this is ‘mint’ but I’m not sure what else to call this color.

I like the colour. It looks like a light emerald shade, very refreshing. Did Dan Stairs estimate how much weight it'd lose and any face up loss too?

It looks exceedingly clean!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colour. It looks like a light emerald shade, very refreshing. Did Dan Stairs estimate how much weight it'd lose and any face up loss too?

It looks exceedingly clean!
He has to see it first, but thinks that a pavilion recut might be all that’s needed. Yes, the color is like emerald but with a touch of something else. It is full of light...hard to describe. The experience of seeing it in person, I really found myself unable to take my eyes off of it. I can imagine it would be lovely in a modern, yellow gold setting, at some point. If I buy it mid next week, I’d send it immediately to Dan.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes! The mine for black stars is in Thailand. :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tourmaline is gorgeous, provided it's a decent price you should buy it!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would expect the colour to change with the cut ...

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would expect the colour to change with the cut ...

That's a gamble but maybe not as much with larger stones? Not that I'd know anything about it. The stone is a beaut!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for feedback everyone. My feeling is that cut will help it. The color can appear deeper in different lighting. The pics dont capture this very well. I’ll keep posted on whether I buy it this week. If so, then start before and after thread. Price is good but still a lot if that makes sense.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color can appear deeper in different lighting.

I would certainly ask if & how the recut can be planned for lighter / darker colour.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really get why people are asking about a colour change, in a stone that size a recut is going product a smaller stone with more sparkle and have the window/dead area in the centre removed, unless you are planning on concave cutting it isn't going to magically transform in colour, other than it will be more pleasant overall to look at more of the time, but it's not like cutting a piece of rough.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Burmesedaze sorry to invade your thread! I have no money (well not enough) but what do you think of this ring?

Just wanted your thoughts in regards to its appearance and price.

https://www.yokdeejadeite.com/colle...n-ring-18k-white-gold-with-diamonds-no-151414

Do you think it will be greyish?

I think it's not green enough if that makes sense? It's like a way smaller but cleaner version of the jade cab I bought late last year. But for a smaller size it ought to pack more punch colour-wise? Assuming the setting is around us200-300 max, that's about 700 for the small stone that's rather hum drum in colour.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's not green enough if that makes sense? It's like a way smaller but cleaner version of the jade cab I bought late last year. But for a smaller size it ought to pack more punch colour-wise? Assuming the setting is around us200-300 max, that's about 700 for the small stone that's rather hum drum in colour.

Thank you so much for answering!!!!! REALLY appreciate it! I find it very helpful when you give me a quick low down on stuff I post as often I kinda sorta think it's not a good buy but not sure why.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My 4 new rings collected from the HK setters! Just in time for CNY! 1.01ct ruby ring (smallest stone) that looks washed out on my phone cam but is a very lively pinkish red irl. Over 1ct included red spinel, 9.x ct star sapphire and 1.53ct blue sapphire. Mogok, unheated, untreated.

20180213_182223.jpg 20180213_182234-1.jpg 20180213_182223-1.jpg 20180213_182245-1.jpg 20180213_182001-1.jpg 20180213_181945-1.jpg 20180213_181907.jpg 20180213_181811.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please may I ask how much was the smaller blue sapphire setting? That blue is stunning!!!! I'm not big on blue but that's so pretty!!!!

So what's next on the agenda for 2018 ;)2

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please may I ask how much was the smaller blue sapphire setting? That blue is stunning!!!! I'm not big on blue but that's so pretty!!!!

So what's next on the agenda for 2018 ;)2

US$510 but bear in mind, itty bitty diamonds only!

Haha if your wishlist is growing, I would keep the chrysoprase to set for another day. It's harder to find good stones at a good price but a setting can be found anytime.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
US$510 but bear in mind, itty bitty diamonds only!

Haha if your wishlist is growing, I would keep the chrysoprase to set for another day. It's harder to find good stones at a good price but a setting can be found anytime.

Ya that's what I've decided on! I'm going to pursue this jade thing first (Unless I freak out at the last minute).

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Getting my first pair of pink Mogok star sapphires online from a Mogok-based trader that deals only in them. Unheated/untreated. 4ct tcw. They will become earrings!

Vendor's photo. That's a pile after that that are not finished with the cutting and polishing!

IMG-d54843bca1c638e3d313829b524406aa-V.jpg IMG-8d1b086ca091426f9460374efd56e05a-V.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting my first pair of pink Mogok star sapphires online from a Mogok-based trade that deals only in them. Unheates/untreated. 4ct tcw. They will become earrings!

Vendor's photo. That's a pile after that that are not finished with the cutting and polishing!

IMG-d54843bca1c638e3d313829b524406aa-V.jpg IMG-8d1b086ca091426f9460374efd56e05a-V.jpg

Those are so beautiful, Like raspberry jelly drops! Great find indeed! Love love love those!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are so beautiful, Like raspberry jelly drops! Great find indeed! Love love love those!

I lost out on a really gemmy medium blue 4ct star sapphire that went for too much!

The pink pair makes for a nice consolation :) no complaints!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost out on a really gemmy medium blue 4ct star sapphire that went for too much!

The pink pair makes for a nice consolation :) no complaints!
Definitely a great consolation. Those will make wonderful earrings. I saw one red/pink star in a ring, about that size of one of those, which I lost out on a few months ago. I haven’t been able to find a similar one since. But stars are such a passion for me that looking and searching is a huge pleasure in itself!

patrickm023

Rough_Rock
Very beautiful , How does it cost

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely a great consolation. Those will make wonderful earrings. I saw one red/pink star in a ring, about that size of one of those, which I lost out on a few months ago. I haven’t been able to find a similar one since. But stars are such a passion for me that looking and searching is a huge pleasure in itself!

I think I caught the star bug from you :) though I've all but given up on a nice big statement piece that's really translucent in body.

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the 4ct medium blue from the videos in artificial and daylight.

Screenshot_2018-02-21-20-28-46.png Screenshot_2018-02-21-20-28-56.png

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I caught the star bug from you :) though I've all but given up on a nice big statement piece that's really translucent in body.

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the 4ct medium blue from the videos in artificial and daylight.

Screenshot_2018-02-21-20-28-46.png Screenshot_2018-02-21-20-28-56.png
It’s great to have another star lover! That one was gorgeous. It has that lavender blue color that is so poetic. Don’t give up on finding a large, clear bodied one! You will probably when you least expect it.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally, I’d love to have a pink red -star or a pink -blue ( purplish) star someday. And Though I think chances are very slim of finding a larger, yellow star with some translucency, that would be great to have too...I could go on and on. I think your star collection is great! I forgot to mention earlier that I think it’s adorable that one of your ruby cabochon cluster earrings has one or two stars in it. That makes them increadibly special in my view.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results