shape
carat
color
clarity

My Burma Myanmar gemstones :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because I guess. Yes. 500/ct. I suppose many think they can sell better at the Hong Kong fair. Shrug.

And to think Chrysos are supposed to be touted as the underrated cheap n cheerful stone!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just got back after being stuck in the taxi in a veritable Bangkok Jam.

Camwhored with the tourmaline and my new ring stone thingy with the prongs to put your stone in. Used my winsome charm to get 2 off these gemstone thingies for 15bht for both :razz:

20180224_183526.jpg 20180224_183538.jpg 20180224_183531.jpg 20180224_183544.jpg 20180224_183554.jpg 20180224_183559.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty!!!!!!! I am so used to not seeing the cut pattern in these, yours is a real treat!!!! Soooo jealous of you right now!

Lol I'm supposed to be writing fanfic and you're totally distracting me with gems!

Can you bargain at these things? For the stones I mean! What is the etiquette?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's so pretty!!!!!!! I am so used to not seeing the cut pattern in these, yours is a real treat!!!! Soooo jealous of you right now!

Lol I'm supposed to be writing fanfic and you're totally distracting me with gems!

Can you bargain at these things? For the stones I mean! What is the etiquette?

You can include a gemstone in the fanfic narrative and call it research lol.

Seaglow is much better and way experienced at these things than me. You've got to watch her in action, that is if you can keep up with her and her bionic eyes!

Yup you've to bargain at these Asian fairs. Especially South Asian and Southeast Asian sellers. Depends on their opening price and you need to know how much these stones go for normally (not retail price). I got this from a Japanese stall and they usually don't like to bargain and some are downright haughty/snotty. Probably a cultural thing. So try to strike up a convo and establish some rapport first? I only slashed a couple of hundred off this as the opening price was already a deal, I thought.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was complaining over FB to Seaglow. Us$2700/ct for 1 ct ugly purplish red Mozambican rubies, us$2700/ct fugly grey-purple sapphires etc. Can't buy precious CS this time round. Oh and pinkish purple spinels for us$500-1200/ct. Roll eyes.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They aren't even precisiom cut!!!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They aren't even precisiom cut!!!

That stone in a knockout! I'm surprised at the size cause you usually buy smaller stones. Not that I'm complaining!
The pic of that star sapphire is amazing. World class.
Fascinating and informative and fun!! I know what you mean about your eyes glazing over after a while. In Tucson there were times when I had to leave the building to catch my breath.
Are you going back tomorrow?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, congrats on the beautiful, dreamy stone! I love the size and the wistful delicacy of refined color. It’s very ethereal. It goes very beautifully with your skin. You got a great beauty with that one....like a tall, cool glass of water combined with a touch of unicorn glow.

Also. Thank you for the star pics! That large one almost has a metallic quality given the amount of silk in it. Very beautiful combination of blue and reflectivity. That larger light blue one is also beautiful, somewhat evocative of water. If you remember off hand, I’m curious about what were the prices like for that/those?

I adore your new pearls! I’ve always admired golden SS. Can’t wait to see how you wear them. Sounds like it was a fun, exciting trip! How great that you met up with an old college friend and that you and Seaglow did this together. I think that’s so cool!

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@suzanne2 haha I buy smaller ones coz the big ones go for way too much in Burma. Thanks :)

I had to stop staring at everything and just skim/focus on the stones. Was too distracted by everything else with the variety there.

@Bluegemz the smaller pale blue and larger pale blue are well over us$3k and us$4k respectively. But, they are on the flat side and too light in colour though they are so gemmy and clear! The larger one has a few black flecks within, so not ideal as well. The more opaque ones next to them are Burma stones. Oh Seaglow went earlier in the week so I didn't get to meet her. These fairs are also better if you go at it alone to cover more ground!!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The gold SSPs have some small bites but nothing too bad. Good lustre too. At US$850 per strand, no complaints. I'm going to and them in to the local Burma lab when I'm back to confirm there's no colour treatment.

@suzanne2 yup I'm flying back tomorrow but i won't head back to the gem fair. Most were packing up to fly off for the Hong Kong fair next week!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, you are brave! I think you’re right, going alone one is able to focus more and linger for as long as one likes on specific items. How fun it must have been!

I’m hoping those pearls are natural because they are beautiful. The price seems really good! Would you wear them as a double stranded necklace, one long strand, or 2 separate necklaces?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2, someday I’d love to visit the Tucson gem show. You are lucky to be around there already! I imagine I’d have to save up because there would be so many wonderful things. Have you gone often?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Burmesedaze, you are brave! I think you’re right, going alone one is able to focus more and linger for as long as one likes on specific items. How fun it must have been!

I’m hoping those pearls are natural because they are beautiful. The price seems really good! Would you wear them as a double stranded necklace, one long strand, or 2 separate necklaces?

I'm 90% sure they are :) but good to check. The company has a Japan HQ and regional offices plus I had a good feel while talking to the non pushy and very helpful SA! Will update again!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh I don't know what I'd do with the 2 strands yet. I have no SSP necklace as yet so will do a choker length first.

The company can do deliveries too so I can always order another to make a longer one or visit their showroom next trip to Bangkok. I've still yet to check out the jewellery trade centre!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Next up, getting a lot of Mogok star sapphires for a bracelet. These have pleasant colors but are not as gemmy. Price seems good, still negotiating. The seller is open to switching out those with cracks.

IMG-9c82ffc6433279524e367aadb056d6fc-V.jpg IMG-8c245c3826c561383d3a65e43f6080eb-V.jpg IMG-f8c43a03b6fb14f734fc209b808a8cd5-V.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up, getting a lot of Mogok star sapphires for a bracelet. These have pleasant colors but are not as gemmy. Price seems good, still negotiating. The seller is open to switching out those with cracks.

IMG-9c82ffc6433279524e367aadb056d6fc-V.jpg IMG-8c245c3826c561383d3a65e43f6080eb-V.jpg IMG-f8c43a03b6fb14f734fc209b808a8cd5-V.jpg
Those are so are adorable! Can’t help but think of babies when I see them. I love the idea of a bracelet. The yellows, pinks and purple one mixed with the blues will make a lovely undulation of color rythm in a bracelet. Now you have inspired me to revisit setting ideas for the tiny star jelly beans which I bought.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are so are adorable! Can’t help but think of babies when I see them. I love the idea of a bracelet. Now you have inspired me to revisit setting ideas for the tiny star jelly beans which I bought.

I'd be keen to see what original design ideas you have for them!

I'm still hunting around for designs. No hurry to move on the project until I find a design I'm happy with. But I can certainly collect the stones first!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be keen to see what original design ideas you have for them!

I'm still hunting around for designs. No hurry to move on the project until I find a design I'm happy with. But I can certainly collect the stones first!
The multiple colors are great in that lot...perfect for a bracelet! Yes, getting the stones is first. I’ve been thinking about designs...saw a pair of earrings with small gems which I thought would work nicely with the stars, but then I think it might be best to wear these stars where you can see them for the fun of it.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2, someday I’d love to visit the Tucson gem show. You are lucky to be around there already! I imagine I’d have to save up because there would be so many wonderful things. Have you gone often?
It was my first time but I'm definitely going back someday!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, those are beautiful! Bright and lively, with a vibrant raspberry color and great stars. They are just adorable.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 4 new rings collected from the HK setters! Just in time for CNY! 1.01ct ruby ring (smallest stone) that looks washed out on my phone cam but is a very lively pinkish red irl. Over 1ct included red spinel, 9.x ct star sapphire and 1.53ct blue sapphire. Mogok, unheated, untreated.

20180213_182245-1.jpg

GREAT new rings! I love the blues. :D

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The fair looked INSANE! So glad you were able score that tourmaline! It is absolutely gorgeous. Could I ask what that faceting pattern is called? Also what were you thinking of setting it in? The faceting is so intricate and delicate, I wonder what would strike the biggest contrast.

Btw, I'm heading to HK in a few weeks, would you be able to recommend any good - non-ripoff places to look for sapphires? I know that you're more steeped in the Myanmar scene but maybe you've heard tell of such fantasy places. Thank you!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got back after being stuck in the taxi in a veritable Bangkok Jam.

Camwhored with the tourmaline and my new ring stone thingy with the prongs to put your stone in. Used my winsome charm to get 2 off these gemstone thingies for 15bht for both :razz:

20180224_183526.jpg 20180224_183538.jpg 20180224_183531.jpg 20180224_183544.jpg 20180224_183554.jpg 20180224_183559.jpg

I love the seafoam green color of this tourmaline. Very nice size as well. :appl:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The fair looked INSANE! So glad you were able score that tourmaline! It is absolutely gorgeous. Could I ask what that faceting pattern is called? Also what were you thinking of setting it in? The faceting is so intricate and delicate, I wonder what would strike the biggest contrast.

Btw, I'm heading to HK in a few weeks, would you be able to recommend any good - non-ripoff places to look for sapphires? I know that you're more steeped in the Myanmar scene but maybe you've heard tell of such fantasy places. Thank you!

I think you would have to start a new HK thread for this. I don't have any contacts for CS in HK :) though I know many folks go there to buy diamonds. Goodluck!!

The GIA cert calls it a modified brilliant cut. I've tried to Google as I think it's pretty common to see tourmalines cut like that but did not get a definitive name (flower? Portuguese?).

Oh it will go into a convertible ring/pendant with diamonds. I've asked my HK setters to let me know if they have settings that can fit the dimensions :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, don’t know what looks better the food or the gems.
It looks wonderful. I must win the Lottery so I can go !
Love your pariba, what a beautiful cut and SIZE. Can’t wait to see that beauty on your ring.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you would have to start a new HK thread for this. I don't have any contacts for CS in HK :) though I know many folks go there to buy diamonds. Goodluck!!

The GIA cert calls it a modified brilliant cut. I've tried to Google as I think it's pretty common to see tourmalines cut like that but did not get a definitive name (flower? Portuguese?).

Oh it will go into a convertible ring/pendant with diamonds. I've asked my HK setters to let me know if they have settings that can fit the dimensions :)

Very cool idea I can't wait to see how the ring/pendant turns out. I love the idea of a convertable piece!

I was thinking Portuguese cut but I feel like the facets are chinkier for the Portuguese. This is very delicate, love it!

Eta: definitely will start a new thread about HK, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. :) thank you!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool idea I can't wait to see how the ring/pendant turns out. I love the idea of a convertable piece!

I was thinking Portuguese cut but I feel like the facets are chinkier for the Portuguese. This is very delicate, love it!

Eta: definitely will start a new thread about HK, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. :) thank you!

The HK Gem Fair is on now. Perhaps you could look through the list of local exhibitors and check in beforehand if they carry CS? But they would be at a premium I think. Other than Chow Tai Fook for gold pieces, I really don't know what else there is!

http://hkjewellery.hktdc.com/dm/jew...vUhqzg5Sj7bTdltiSPvx5bLG1DM3Zjr0aAj1yEALw_wcB

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results