shape
carat
color
clarity

My BB imperial Malaya garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 9:10:55 AM
Author: platinumrock

OH, TL, I absolutely love this stone!!! The color is exquisite (I''m partial to peachy tones) and oval is one of my favorite cuts (faces up longer and larger). I know you mentioned you don''t typically like ovals, but it''s beautiful. I was never into ovals either, especially in diamonds, but my oval twillight topaz just looks right on my hand somehow. Your malaya is the second I''ve seen on PS. The first one was Coati''s pear, and they are both just mesmerizing! The peachy pink is just delicious!
30.gif
18.gif

Have you thought about how you are going to set this? I can totally see this in a rose gold head or all rose gold.

PS: I agree with you about pads. I think the color is gorgeous, but they face up a little small. And they are very very pricey. I''d take a malaya over a pad any day! Similar color, more sparkle, more affordable and faces up bigger.
10.gif
Thanks PR,
I had no idea you liked peacy pink stones at all.
emwink.gif

This is the thread that inspired me to get a malaya garnet - it''s Coati''s malaya pear. Isn''t it TDF? I tried to get one from Multicolour, and I posted a pic of the MC one I was getting, but it was very very brownish orange, and I don''t care for that color. I also tried to get an orange tourmaline on ebay, and it turned out more brown than in the video, so I gave up for a while on ever finding that right stone. I figured it would cost several thousand dollars, and I just didn''t like any of the badly cut pads I saw. It is very difficult to get a nice orange-pink stone without brown in it, which is probably one of the reasons pads are so expensive, and rightfullly so. Linda_W''s avitar has also been an inspiration to me as well, and I always coveted her stone each time I saw it.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/name-that-stone-new-match-t95940.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 9:12:43 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I really like that setting and have always wondered what it would look like. Please post up photos when you get it. It''s perfect for your Garnet.
Thanks LD,
I''m still waiting to hear back from him if there''s a non-refundable fee besides sizing. Last time, he sprung a $30 non-refundable pave fee on me when I wanted to return one of his settings. It was the only one I ever returned (out of seven settings), but I like this one because the baguettes remind me of flower petals, and I wanted something feminine. I also like his rose gold color, it''s very coppery. It''s so difficult to get rose gold settings anywhere.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 9:55:44 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 2/1/2009 9:12:43 AM
I really like that setting and have always wondered what it would look like. Please post up photos when you get it. It''s perfect for your Garnet.
Thanks LD,
I''m still waiting to hear back from him if there''s a non-refundable fee besides sizing. Last time, he sprung a $30 non-refundable pave fee on me when I wanted to return one of his settings. It was the only one I ever returned (out of seven settings), but I like this one because the baguettes remind me of flower petals, and I wanted something feminine. I also like his rose gold color, it''s very coppery. It''s so difficult to get rose gold settings anywhere.
Oh that''s not good charging a non-refundable fee. Do you think he''d do the same because you''re asking for rose gold?

Have you considered using white gold for the setting? Your gemstone is such a stunning vibrant colour that I''m not sure it needs any help from the gold - white gold would be an excellent contrast. I know you love your rose gold though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 10:04:47 AM

Oh that's not good charging a non-refundable fee. Do you think he'd do the same because you're asking for rose gold?

Have you considered using white gold for the setting? Your gemstone is such a stunning vibrant colour that I'm not sure it needs any help from the gold - white gold would be an excellent contrast. I know you love your rose gold though!
He doesn't charge extra to do a whole ring in any color gold, but he does charge a non-refundable micro setting (pave) fee. I just want to make sure there's no hidden costs here. I don't mind eating the $10 resizing fee, but last time, I would have had to eat $40 + the cost of shipping it back. Since I was a good customer, he waived $20 out of the $30 pave fee, so I only had to eat $20 (resizing + pave fee). He needs to make this more clear in his listings, so I will always ask him from now on, and stay away from listings with the word "pave" in them.

I don't want white gold, I only like it for blue sapphires, rubies (or very super red stones) or emeralds and white diamonds. I saw a pad in rose gold once and it was heavenly.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:52:25 AM

Date: 2/1/2009 9:10:55 AM

OH, TL, I absolutely love this stone!!! The color is exquisite (I''m partial to peachy tones) and oval is one of my favorite cuts (faces up longer and larger). I know you mentioned you don''t typically like ovals, but it''s beautiful. I was never into ovals either, especially in diamonds, but my oval twillight topaz just looks right on my hand somehow. Your malaya is the second I''ve seen on PS. The first one was Coati''s pear, and they are both just mesmerizing! The peachy pink is just delicious!
30.gif
18.gif

Have you thought about how you are going to set this? I can totally see this in a rose gold head or all rose gold.

PS: I agree with you about pads. I think the color is gorgeous, but they face up a little small. And they are very very pricey. I''d take a malaya over a pad any day! Similar color, more sparkle, more affordable and faces up bigger.
10.gif
Thanks PR,
I had no idea you liked peacy pink stones at all.
emwink.gif

This is the thread that inspired me to get a malaya garnet - it''s Coati''s malaya pear. Isn''t it TDF? I tried to get one from Multicolour, and I posted a pic of the MC one I was getting, but it was very very brownish orange, and I don''t care for that color. I also tried to get an orange tourmaline on ebay, and it turned out more brown than in the video, so I gave up for a while on ever finding that right stone. I figured it would cost several thousand dollars, and I just didn''t like any of the badly cut pads I saw. It is very difficult to get a nice orange-pink stone without brown in it, which is probably one of the reasons pads are so expensive, and rightfullly so. Linda_W''s avitar has also been an inspiration to me as well, and I always coveted her stone each time I saw it.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/name-that-stone-new-match-t95940.html

Hehee...Now I want a malaya!
22.gif
It''s all your fault.

It''s funny because I also commented that Coati''s malaya looked like a diamond. I think I will always be a colored diamond fan first, then colored gemstone.

I had no idea that tourmalines come in orange! Does anyone on PS have one? Your malaya''s color is comparable to an ideal pad color, which is a true find. It''s very well-cut with nice color saturation.

What are its stats?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 10:15:26 AM

22.gif
It's all your fault.

It's funny because I also commented that Coati's malaya looked like a diamond. I think I will always be a colored diamond fan first, then colored gemstone.

I had no idea that tourmalines come in orange! Does anyone on PS have one? Your malaya's color is comparable to an ideal pad color, which is a true find. It's very well-cut with nice color saturation.

What are its stats?
Hi PR,
You're too kind. I wouldn't say my malaya is comparable to an ideal pad because those cost a fortune for a reason. Just look at TG's, Widget's, ArtNouveau's and Linda_W's, and their stones are in a class by themselves. However, for the price point, I do think these Malayas are "pad-like" and very beautiful.

Stats are: 2.54 carats
Origin: Madagascar from a small deposit.

The GIA did a study on Malayas from this Madagascar deposit. I think most Malayas come from Tanzania.

Tourmalines come in every color of the rainbow, including the elusive orange-pink, which again is such a rare color in nature without having to compromise with a brownish undertone. I see orange colored tourmalines quite often on Dan Stair's website, and I think he recently cut one. Most, not all, gemstones with orange in them unfortunately come with the brown undertone. The ones with the least brown in any species are typically the most expensive.

Since you love colored diamonds so much, did you ever see the pumpkin diamond? It's been worn by several celebrities. I think you would fall off your chair after looking at this.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/exhibits/si-gems/pumpkin.html

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 10:48:36 AM

Date: 2/1/2009 10:15:26 AM

22.gif
It''s all your fault.

It''s funny because I also commented that Coati''s malaya looked like a diamond. I think I will always be a colored diamond fan first, then colored gemstone.

I had no idea that tourmalines come in orange! Does anyone on PS have one? Your malaya''s color is comparable to an ideal pad color, which is a true find. It''s very well-cut with nice color saturation.

What are its stats?
Hi PR,
You''re too kind. I wouldn''t say my malaya is comparable to an ideal pad because those cost a fortune for a reason. Just look at TG''s, Widget''s, ArtNouveau''s and Linda_W''s, and their stones are in a class by themselves. However, for the price point, I do think these Malayas are ''pad-like'' and very beautiful.

Stats are: 2.54 carats
Origin: Madagascar from a small deposit.

The GIA did a study on Malayas from this Madagascar deposit. I think most Malayas come from Tanzania.

Tourmalines come in every color of the rainbow, including the elusive orange-pink, which again is such a rare color in nature without having to compromise with a brownish undertone. I see orange colored tourmalines quite often on Dan Stair''s website, and I think he recently cut one. Most, not all, gemstones with orange in them unfortunately come with the brown undertone. The ones with the least brown in any species are typically the most expensive.

Since you love colored diamonds so much, did you ever see the pumpkin diamond? It''s been worn by several celebrities. I think you would fall off your chair after looking at this.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/exhibits/si-gems/pumpkin.html

2.54 and an oval!!! Oh, you have to give her a name! She weighs the same as Peachy and shares her tones (but more pink/salmon, without the gray). I''m so glad that you snatched her up!

Wow, your knowledge about gemstones is astounding. I am simply an admirer. And although I agree that the pads that belong to the above PS''ers are gorgeous in their own right, yours is up there especially in terms of color. And I think yours will have more personality because garnets have a higher refractive index than sapphires (correct me if I''m wrong). TL, you don''t give yourself enough credit.
2.gif

I''ve never seen the pumpkin diamond, and that link made me jump out of my couch!!! Thanks for posting that! That orange color is insane! And it has no brown undertones!

Mmmm....pumpkin diamonds....
18.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 11:15:06 AM
Just for you PR - an orange-pink tourmaline.

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=212

*FAINTS*

Oh my, Oh my, Oh my, Oh my....be still my heart. I am seriously thinking about getting it. And it''s $420. Is that a fair price? I have NEVER seen a tourmaline that color before.

My husband is going to kill me!
22.gif
27.gif

TL, why did you post that???
39.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that toumaline is yummy!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL, I love that setting, it reminds me of a sun burst. I''m partial to baguettes. Hopefully they will be more secure than pave settings from LOGR. The first LOGR setting with the big tourmaline has lost one of the diamonds and I''ve only worn it a couple of times for special occasions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 11:41:09 AM

*FAINTS*

Oh my, Oh my, Oh my, Oh my....be still my heart. I am seriously thinking about getting it. And it''s $420. Is that a fair price? I have NEVER seen a tourmaline that color before.

22.gif
27.gif

39.gif
I think that''s a rare colored tourmaline, I would ask about the brown undertones. The only thing about getting a nice malaya over that is because malayas have a higher RI. I do think Gemrite charges higher prices than Gene, Barry and Dan, but I never purchased anything from them. I don''t know if it''s worth it.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 2:35:03 PM

Date: 2/1/2009 11:41:09 AM

*FAINTS*

22.gif
27.gif

39.gif
I think that''s a rare colored tourmaline, I would ask about the brown undertones. The only thing about getting a nice malaya over that is because malayas have a higher RI. I do think Gemrite charges higher prices than Gene, Barry and Dan, but I never purchased anything from them. I don''t know if it''s worth it.

Thank you for putting me out of my misery. I just upgraded my e-ring, just had a new rose gold setting created, and I just purchased a twillight topaz for a RHR (within the past two months). I have no business buying any more gemstones for a while.
39.gif

If I was to get another gemstone, it wouild be a malaya or a cranberry/cherry colored garnet like Omieluv''s because of the higher RI. Anything diamond-like would be my preference. So TL, I''ll buzz you for your input when that time comes.
2.gif

Back to your malaya. Does she have a name yet?
31.gif
She sure is purrrdy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I don''t name my gemstones. I think if I had the Hope Diamond, I might. Ha!! You''re a very funny lady!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice oval! does not appear to have the dreaded bow-tie effect....which is why i think many object to ovals.

movie zombie

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Haha..thank you! Umm..can I name her for ya? I already came up with one.
9.gif

Fee free to swat me and say, "Heck no!"

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 3:16:58 PM

Haha..thank you! Umm..can I name her for ya? I already came up with one.
9.gif

Fee free to swat me and say, ''Heck no!''
PR,
You crack me up, especially the dancing bananna avitar!! So when are we going to see "Peachy Precious" in her new setting? I''m dying from the waiting and anticipation. A diamond in a peachy color is very rare and special.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
You are waaaay too kind! Thank you.
2.gif

What do you think of Paddy LaBella for your malaya? "Paddy" for the paddish color. "Bella" for beautiful.
31.gif

PS: My jeweler finally finished the rose gold setting and set the stone. It''s supposed to be ready for pick-up Monday. So hopefully I will be able to post pics tomorrow. *crossing fingers*

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only like naming my children, as much as I love some of my gemstones, I just can''t bring myself to name them.

I can''t wait to see pics of that gorgeous diamond. Post pics both here and SMTR. It will be stunning I''m sure.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, I apologize about the name suggestion. I hope I didn''t offend you. But I can''t wait to see this stone in the LOGR setting you chose! I''ve never seen a gemstone in a baguette halo like that, so it will be striking in rose gold!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 4:22:06 PM
TL, I apologize about the name suggestion. I hope I didn''t offend you. But I can''t wait to see this stone in the LOGR setting you chose! I''ve never seen a gemstone in a baguette halo like that, so it will be striking in rose gold!
36.gif
Oh heaven''s no, why did you think you offended me? I know some people name their gems, and that''s perfectly fine. I can totally understand. I just never did because I never had a gem that I thought was worth naming.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great colour on that garnet! I like the peachy pink colour and that closeup looks good too.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty garnet, I always thought that was a pretty stone.

May I ask how you judge browns and grays from photo? I know this is a garnet, but I bought my first tourmaline a month ago without reading about them, and the gray surprised me (then I read and found out it is not uncommon). How much of a neutral secondary tone to you tolerate, if any at all?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks purty!!!! We need more pics!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that''s such a lovely color!
It''s beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 12:48:27 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Very pretty garnet, I always thought that was a pretty stone.

May I ask how you judge browns and grays from photo? I know this is a garnet, but I bought my first tourmaline a month ago without reading about them, and the gray surprised me (then I read and found out it is not uncommon). How much of a neutral secondary tone to you tolerate, if any at all?
I think this is best done if you see some gorgeous top gem material. It's really difficult to judge (IMO) secondary hues without knowing what a vivid neon color looks like. I would not say my Malaya is vivid neon, but it is salmon colored, and for a salmon colored stone, it's nice without huge brown overtones. It has some brown, but not enough to bother me because in actuality, it is VERY VERY difficult to get a natural salmon colored stone without spending a fortune.

Go to a gem show, or some super fine jeweler like Graff or Harry Winston, and take a look at their red, blue, orange, yellow and green colored gems (not colored diamonds, but colored gems). Once you see those, you'll know what a brown, grey or other undesirable secondary hue looks like. Many of my gems have undesirable secondary modifiers, but I try to make sure they don't overwhelm the stone or make it look murky. I try to limit the undesirable secondary modifiers as much as possible for my pricepoint.

I think my most vivid neon stone is my red rubillite. I do not see any brown in that at all (maybe others do, but I don't). You can see red, blue and pink in this stone, but no brown or grey (at least not to me). Here's a new pic I took of it in diffused dim sunlight. It looks pretty much like this in all lighting conditions except it goes more red in incandescent (it's a bit dirty though in this pic). The color almost overwhelms the camera I think. I just wish it were a ruby instead of a tourmaline.

HTH

Thanks to everyone for all the continued compliments on the stone. I'll see if I can post more pics tonight, but after looking at my rubellite, it might look dull.

logr_upclose_rubellite2.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, that is a great pink.

I got the Tiffany blue book, and they have some great colors (especially pinks) this year, I will take a second look at those. I always take the opportunity to go to the high end gem stores when I am in a town that has them :).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not crazy about all of Tiff''s gemstones, but they have some nice ones. The last time I was there, they had some pitiful aquas and I know they''ve have better quality at times.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gem is so fantastic! I absolutely love the salmon color (Hubbys'' favorite color) and the sparkle is amazing. It is hard to explain but your Garnet has the "It" factor for me.

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results