shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My antique jewellery shop find - tycoon and french cut diamond ring

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What an amazing story and a very special ring. Those pictures and videos are magical! Can see why you would be utterly captivated by it.

The jeweller seems like a complete plonker - he certainly didn't make it himself, he would have known the carat weight then. So not only did you get an amazing find, it must have been at a reasonable discount too!

Congratulations!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little late to the party but holy cow what a find, that is amazing! Every time someone shares something like this I think about how many other treasures are out there waiting to be found!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Its ironic really because I asked him if the diamond was certified and he gave me a spiel about how certification doesnt matter and whats more important is to buy from someone like him who really knows his stuff :wall: I also asked him if he could tell me the approx measurements of the centre diamond but he said it wasnt possible and anyway "we don't sell diamonds by the mm"!?! :snooty: I was trying not to get really annoyed, because I knew I wanted the ring, in spite of the fact that a few alarm bells were ringing by this point!

This is AMAZING, so glad you went and got it anyway!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm glad you broke your "no B&M jewelry" rule! It is gorgeous, sparkling and of course a little bit unique. I have to say I
really like your jewelry style. You have some great pieces!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great find!!!
Wow, what a gorgeous find!

@diamondhoarder This ring is absolute perfection! It‘s so beautiful…The diamond and setting are just amazing! What a find!

Thanks guys. My friend wants me to take her jewellery shopping now in case there are any more "finds" to be had :D

Feeling hopeful that you could actually *hear* the collective GASP from us all.
Especially me!
:lol::lol:

husband looks at monitor
I click the vido, press play
husband throws his hands in the air "where did that come from"
antique ps'er found
"I'm f'd..stop reading that board" [followed by a scared..very scared laugh]
nope..can't
"god dammit" as he grumbles away

WOW..just..WOW..magnificent!!
Apologies to your husband......:D I think mine has understood for some time now that PS is the 3rd person in our marriage :lol:;)2

I love this cut. That ring is amazing.:shock:
Just, yeah.

"just yeah" - that's how I felt about it too :D

What an amaaaaaaazing story and ring! It’s just beautiful!
Thank you
Oh my goodness. Beautiful - absolute gorgeous. So jealous of the ring and the story!!! This is probably one of my favorite rings I’ve seen on pricescope!!

Awww thanks =)2

What a beautiful diamond! I'd never heard of the cut before, but I can see why it captivated you in the store window. The video really shows it performing beautifully!

Congrats on your amazing find!

Thank you. Of all my fancy cuts I think it performs the best. And yet its the only one I bought without an ASET image or return period. Which seems crazy.

diamondhoarder, I'm not looking at the moment, although you've done a service to everyone else on this forum who's saying, "Where can I get one?"
Regarding your Asscher, I kind of think you'll go back to it. I have a 1.07 EC, K w/ fluor and honestly, it has about the size impact of my 1.77 Asscher. It costed less than half of the Asscher. I had it set in a used ring with tiny side baguettes and I wear it almost all the time. The Asscher comes out of its show dog crate for special events (like I have loads of them!) but Alex, my EC, is my companion. It's satisfying to wear something you're not insanely worried about.
You're going to have fun with all your very, very beautiful and hard to source rings

Are we leading parallel lives? :lol: I hope you are right about me coming back to my asscher. This imposter seems to have snuck in and stole the show, and I have caught myself wondering if it's worth keeping money tied up in the asscher when I'm more likely to be reaching for this ring. I have other rings in my collection that all have their place depending on the situation or outfit, but this one is a direct competitor for finger space against the asscher. And it the moment this one is winning. No special events here either.......

Just stunning!

Thank you

I too love these needle in haystack stories!
That is seriously a beautiful ring!
(might have to try that on for a wee moment?)

Thanks =)2 I have been inspired by others PS'ers needle in a haystack stories of the past. Its a little annoying that we never seem to find these things when we are actually supposed to be looking. I think we all need an emergency "OMG that is a once-in-a-lifetime bling opportunity!!!!" fund to handle these situations. :D Having said that I'm now putting myself on a bling ban for the forseeable future unless I sell something 1st. (or unless theres a full moon or the day ends in a "y" ;)2:lol:)
What an amazing story and a very special ring. Those pictures and videos are magical! Can see why you would be utterly captivated by it.

The jeweller seems like a complete plonker - he certainly didn't make it himself, he would have known the carat weight then. So not only did you get an amazing find, it must have been at a reasonable discount too!

Congratulations!

Haha , yes "complete plonker" is an apt description. For someone in the trade for 30 years and more knowledgable and reliable than GIA (?!?) he certainly didn't cover himself in glory. At one point he tried to explain to me how rings only need to be hallmarked if you didn't make them yourself. So maybe that's why he cooked up the story about having made the ring himself - he did look uncomfortable when I started questioning the lack of hallmarks (which are a legal requirement here). I do think I got it for a very good price, (and he agreed to get it hallmarked too) so in the end it was worth putting up with the large amounts of nonsense he clearly considers to be effective sales patter. :D

A little late to the party but holy cow what a find, that is amazing! Every time someone shares something like this I think about how many other treasures are out there waiting to be found!

Yes! Now I'm going to be on the look-out even more than I was before (but sadly without funds to do anything about it now).

This is AMAZING, so glad you went and got it anyway!

Thanks.
Well, I'm glad you broke your "no B&M jewelry" rule! It is gorgeous, sparkling and of course a little bit unique. I have to say I
really like your jewelry style. You have some great pieces!

Aww thanks, that's really kind of you to say. =)2

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
" . . . this one is a direct competitor for finger space against the asscher." Oh my Lord. Wait. Wait. Wait. Can you imagine being without one? Yours?
I have a yellow Asscher cut moissy for mowing the lawn and picking poops. The ring costs 3 times what the stone did. So if not parallel lives - or tastes - I certainly admire your educated choices. And how fortunate for you that I live an ocean away so I can't follow you as you shop.
You've set the bar very high. Surely you could tap into some retirement funds or sell a vehicle to keep us all entertained?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous! Great find!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go:

Oh I love stories like this. Glad you found such a beautiful treasure! Some of the best treasures are found in those type of shops! I too have found a few "hidden" gems along the way! ;)2

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys. My friend wants me to take her jewellery shopping now in case there are any more "finds" to be had :D

:lol::lol:

Apologies to your husband......:D I think mine has understood for some time now that PS is the 3rd person in our marriage :lol:;)2

"just yeah" - that's how I felt about it too :D

Thank you

Awww thanks =)2

Thank you. Of all my fancy cuts I think it performs the best. And yet its the only one I bought without an ASET image or return period. Which seems crazy.

Are we leading parallel lives? :lol: I hope you are right about me coming back to my asscher. This imposter seems to have snuck in and stole the show, and I have caught myself wondering if it's worth keeping money tied up in the asscher when I'm more likely to be reaching for this ring. I have other rings in my collection that all have their place depending on the situation or outfit, but this one is a direct competitor for finger space against the asscher. And it the moment this one is winning. No special events here either.......

Thank you

Thanks =)2 I have been inspired by others PS'ers needle in a haystack stories of the past. Its a little annoying that we never seem to find these things when we are actually supposed to be looking. I think we all need an emergency "OMG that is a once-in-a-lifetime bling opportunity!!!!" fund to handle these situations. :D Having said that I'm now putting myself on a bling ban for the forseeable future unless I sell something 1st. (or unless theres a full moon or the day ends in a "y" ;)2:lol:)

Haha , yes "complete plonker" is an apt description. For someone in the trade for 30 years and more knowledgable and reliable than GIA (?!?) he certainly didn't cover himself in glory. At one point he tried to explain to me how rings only need to be hallmarked if you didn't make them yourself. So maybe that's why he cooked up the story about having made the ring himself - he did look uncomfortable when I started questioning the lack of hallmarks (which are a legal requirement here). I do think I got it for a very good price, (and he agreed to get it hallmarked too) so in the end it was worth putting up with the large amounts of nonsense he clearly considers to be effective sales patter. :D

Yes! Now I'm going to be on the look-out even more than I was before (but sadly without funds to do anything about it now).

Thanks.

Aww thanks, that's really kind of you to say. =)2

My husband does NOT accept your apology and knew I had a sparkle issue before he married me and I quote "I bought a ticket for that ride honey..carry on" LOL..

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. Yes it does have the diamond shaped table. Hopefully this photo captures it:

20210919_091458.jpg

According to the GIA report the table % is 78, however I can only assume that they calculated this including the 4 triangular facets that are angled down away from the diamond shaped table as well as the diamond shaped table itself. To me the triangular facets act more like crown facets because they seem to reflect back a lot of fire in large chunky flashes. I wonder what the table % would be if it was just calculated based on the diamond shape on its own.

The diamond is extremely bright and I was curious as to what kind of ASET image it would produce. It was a very fiddly job trying to get an image using my handheld scope, back lighting, and my phone camera:

20210919_180153.jpg

Its a little bit out of focus but it reflects the brightness and contrasty patterns I see when the diamond is in motion.

It's called tycoon cut for a good reason.. It definitely swept us off our feet!

Oh my goodness.. I think I fell in love all over again! You are so lucky to chance upon this gem!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
" . . . this one is a direct competitor for finger space against the asscher." Oh my Lord. Wait. Wait. Wait. Can you imagine being without one? Yours?
I have a yellow Asscher cut moissy for mowing the lawn and picking poops. The ring costs 3 times what the stone did. So if not parallel lives - or tastes - I certainly admire your educated choices. And how fortunate for you that I live an ocean away so I can't follow you as you shop.
Hmmm - a ring for picking poops....... could my husband be persuaded of this as a legitimate reason for further ring acquisitions??? :mrgreen:
You've set the bar very high. Surely you could tap into some retirement funds or sell a vehicle to keep us all entertained?
:lol: :lol: You crack me up!
That is gorgeous! Great find!
Thank you
Oh I love stories like this. Glad you found such a beautiful treasure! Some of the best treasures are found in those type of shops! I too have found a few "hidden" gems along the way! ;)2
Oooh, do you have any threads on any of your hidden gem finds?
My husband does NOT accept your apology and knew I had a sparkle issue before he married me and I quote "I bought a ticket for that ride honey..carry on" LOL..
:lol::lol: He has obviously understood that there's no point fighting the inevitable........
It's called tycoon cut for a good reason.. It definitely swept us off our feet!

Oh my goodness.. I think I fell in love all over again! You are so lucky to chance upon this gem!
Its a miracle really that one landed here in the UK considering they were never sold here. So I definitely feel very lucky =)2
Gorgeous, I want!!!
Thanks. At the risk of being a "bling enabler" - did you see further up this thread I posted some other Tycoons that I found for sale?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! just Wow! beautiful ring and such a great find. I'm so glad you made the leap and went for it. If that jeweler is close by, I'd keep checking in on him!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You totally hit the jackpot with this ring!! It's SO beautiful and special! Hilarious about the shop owner. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered people like that working at jewelry shops! I once had a shop owner tell me that I got duped because my GIA-certed H-color antique style cushion is actually a yellow diamond. :lol:

Enjoy this gorgeous thing!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness!!!! Wow! Amazing find!!! Enjoy!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the JOTW!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm - a ring for picking poops....... could my husband be persuaded of this as a legitimate reason for further ring acquisitions??? :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: You crack me up!

Thank you

:lol::lol: He has obviously understood that there's no point fighting the inevitable........

Its a miracle really that one landed here in the UK considering they were never sold here. So I definitely feel very lucky =)2

Thanks. At the risk of being a "bling enabler" - did you see further up this thread I posted some other Tycoons that I found for sale?

cushioncutnut said:
My JB Star sapphire and diamond ring in my avatar.

I often go to a place in Boca Raton Florida called the Jewelers Exchange. So many wholesalers and estate sellers there! Also, my OEC Art Deco Diamond ring. While they were still expense, a fraction of what I would pay retail! 842384

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I often go to a place in Boca Raton Florida called the Jewelers Exchange. So many wholesalers and estate sellers there! Also, my OEC Art Deco Diamond ring. While they were still expense, a fraction of what I would pay retail! Red, white, and blue!6.jpg

I love those big halo stones on your sapphire!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please join me in congratulating Diamondhoarder, this is the Jewel of the Week! :kiss2:
Thanks so much!!
You totally hit the jackpot with this ring!! It's SO beautiful and special! Hilarious about the shop owner. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered people like that working at jewelry shops! I once had a shop owner tell me that I got duped because my GIA-certed H-color antique style cushion is actually a yellow diamond. :lol:

Enjoy this gorgeous thing!!!
Oh wow - there is a surprising level of ignorance out there amongst shop owners/ sales assistants. It makes we wonder how how their businesses don't suffer.
Oh my goodness!!!! Wow! Amazing find!!! Enjoy!
Thanks, I'm definitely enjoying it, and now I feel bad for my other rings because they do not get a look-in at the moment :roll::D
Congrats on the JOTW!
Thank you =)2

I often go to a place in Boca Raton Florida called the Jewelers Exchange. So many wholesalers and estate sellers there! Also, my OEC Art Deco Diamond ring. While they were still expense, a fraction of what I would pay retail! Red, white, and blue!6.jpg
Those are both gorgeous rings! The colour of that sapphire.... :kiss2: If you are anything like me then the most satisfying purchases are when the item itself is not only gorgeous but also an amazing deal as well.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
WOW this is soo beautiful! I love the cut and I love the setting too. This ring was meant for you!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
WOWEEE ZOWEEE!!!! what an epic find for sure!!!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
How gorgeous, great story and such a good find.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results