shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My antique jewellery shop find - tycoon and french cut diamond ring

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
OMGOODNESS this is amazing exactly-perfect epic and gorgeous!
I’m absolutely not a tiny bit jelly ;))
Kudos to you for trusting your gut and knowing your stuff.
I find more shop owners than I could ever believe possible don’t know a thing!
Good on you!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg its incredible!!! What an epic find
Thanks =)2
I think I saw a sapphire version of the tycoon asscher shape a while ago on Ebay. Didnt realise there were actually tycoon branded gemstones as well.
Agreed on all fronts! Mine is shallow but spready (T: 79; D: 61.6), making it face up much larger than an asscher of same ct weight would be … no complaints from me on that, especially b/c the chunky flashes & fire are really quite a show to see in person. You’re very lucky to have found one & gotten a great deal on it; I’ve discovered they’re hard to find, especially online because they’re mis-identified a lot, as it sounds like yours was.
I think we should start a movement to bring back the Tycoon Cut! :D Seems like anyone looking for one might need to trawl through a load of "emerald cuts" or in your case "asschers" to find one. I did see a couple on 1st Dibbs that were correctly advertised but they are few and far between.
@diamondhoarder Thank you for the video! It’s gorgeous & elegant; again, congrats on your fantastic find! :dance:

Thanks. I dont think the video captures the performance quite as well as I see it in person. I might try and see if I can get a better one. I loved the images you got of yours on your thread. Yours really is beautiful.

OMGOODNESS this is amazing exactly-perfect epic and gorgeous!
I’m absolutely not a tiny bit jelly ;))
Kudos to you for trusting your gut and knowing your stuff.
I find more shop owners than I could ever believe possible don’t know a thing!
Good on you!
I was honestly second guessing myself over it from the moment I paid the deposit. It was a nervous wait whilst it was being sized and hallmarked. I had to really push for the hallmark because he of course wanted me to take his word for it that the ring was platinum but there were no stamps at all on the shank. Thankfully it came back quickly from the assay office as 950 platinum so that helped my nerves a bit.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Last year I learned that SMH means "shaking my head,"
Okay, I try to think of a ring with the coolest rectangular cut diamond - something not often seen - and some amazing sidestones, also in an unusual cut. Basically the (my) dream EC ring. You're window shopping and you find it, and it's a fabulous example.
Your last two rings had me saying, No way she's going to top that.
SMH.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your find! It's gorgeous !

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god. This is my first time seeing a tycoon cut in action. It is astounding! You are one lucky lady. May I say, I am so incredibly happy for you to find it so randomly, lol.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Astonishing stone and a gorgeous setting! Congratulations!

Please a million more pics!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just when I thought my collection was complete, my interest was piqued by a gorgeous ring I saw by chance in an antique jewellery shop. I had long ago promised myself that having discovered the joys of buying well-priced loose diamonds online I would never pay a "retail" price for a ring in a shop window. But of course that doesn't stop me browsing jewellery shop windows everywhere I go, I love looking at all the beautiful things (even if some of them are quite over-priced or not always the quality I would look for).

So a couple of weeks ago I came across this ring in an antique jewellers window, being sold as en emerald cut diamond for a really good price. It was so bright and really stood out from the various others it was hiding in amongst. On closer inspection I noticed that it had square corners and an interesting facet pattern, and couldn't resist going inside to ask about it. It was being sold uncertified as a 1 carat centre diamond in a handmade platinum ring.

As soon as I put it on I was mesmerised, it has so much flash and movement, and a lot of fire, plus it looked a really substantial size on my (size 6.25) finger. I commented to the shop owner that for a 1 carat diamond it faced up quite large but he just put it down to the fact that "all emerald cuts face up large". I could see that this looked a lot more like a Tycoon Cut or french cut diamond than an emerald cut but he continued to insist it was an emerald cut. He explained how he had had the ring made himself in an antique style and had personally picked out the "princess cut" diamonds for the shoulders to compliment the centre stone. A quick look with a loupe confirmed that the shoulder diamonds are french cut, not princess cut so it seems that the shop owner is not as clued up about what he sells as he thinks, in spite of reassuring me of his expertise based on "30 years in the trade" :confused:

I was already considering breaking my "no shop bought rings" rule for this ring but then he offered me a substantial discount and that was the clincher. So I went against all of my usual precautions, and bought a finished ring with an uncertified diamond, without the benefit of a 30 day home inspection or ASET image from a vendor with questionable diamond knowledge and a slightly patronising attitude. And now its been sized and I have it home with me to subject to all my usual investigations and scrutiny it is one of the nicest rings in my collection. :kiss2: In fact (whisper it) I think I may even prefer it to my new asscher, which was the culmination of years of searching for the perfect stone. :roll:

The best surprise of all was that when I was finally able to look at it with my loupe in the right lighting environment I discovered an inscription on the girdle!!! 2 in fact - a GIA number and the Tycoon brand and serial number :D:appl: And having looked up the GIA certificate I discovered the diamond is a quarter of a carat larger than the jeweller thought, its a 1.27ct, G VS2! :dance:

Anyway, on to the important part - here are a couple of pics of my new treasure:

20210918_202121.jpg 20210918_174033.jpg 20210918_172008.jpg 20210918_173704.jpg 20210918_174026.jpg
20210918_173038.jpg

my new favorite PS diamond ring :kiss2:
congradulations on an awsome find :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a GORGEOUS ring and awesome story!!!! You must have been over the moon when you found those inscriptions - so exciting!! :appl:

It looks amazing!!! Congrats on a really spectacular find :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
a GIA number and the Tycoon brand and serial number :D:appl: And having looked up the GIA certificate I discovered the diamond is a quarter of a carat larger than the jeweller thought, its a 1.27ct, G VS2! :dance:

Wow!!! What a score! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your fabulous story about your stunning find. :appl::appl::appl:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Just when I thought my collection was complete, my interest was piqued by a gorgeous ring I saw by chance in an antique jewellery shop. I had long ago promised myself that having discovered the joys of buying well-priced loose diamonds online I would never pay a "retail" price for a ring in a shop window. But of course that doesn't stop me browsing jewellery shop windows everywhere I go, I love looking at all the beautiful things (even if some of them are quite over-priced or not always the quality I would look for).

So a couple of weeks ago I came across this ring in an antique jewellers window, being sold as en emerald cut diamond for a really good price. It was so bright and really stood out from the various others it was hiding in amongst. On closer inspection I noticed that it had square corners and an interesting facet pattern, and couldn't resist going inside to ask about it. It was being sold uncertified as a 1 carat centre diamond in a handmade platinum ring.

As soon as I put it on I was mesmerised, it has so much flash and movement, and a lot of fire, plus it looked a really substantial size on my (size 6.25) finger. I commented to the shop owner that for a 1 carat diamond it faced up quite large but he just put it down to the fact that "all emerald cuts face up large". I could see that this looked a lot more like a Tycoon Cut or french cut diamond than an emerald cut but he continued to insist it was an emerald cut. He explained how he had had the ring made himself in an antique style and had personally picked out the "princess cut" diamonds for the shoulders to compliment the centre stone. A quick look with a loupe confirmed that the shoulder diamonds are french cut, not princess cut so it seems that the shop owner is not as clued up about what he sells as he thinks, in spite of reassuring me of his expertise based on "30 years in the trade" :confused:

I was already considering breaking my "no shop bought rings" rule for this ring but then he offered me a substantial discount and that was the clincher. So I went against all of my usual precautions, and bought a finished ring with an uncertified diamond, without the benefit of a 30 day home inspection or ASET image from a vendor with questionable diamond knowledge and a slightly patronising attitude. And now its been sized and I have it home with me to subject to all my usual investigations and scrutiny it is one of the nicest rings in my collection. :kiss2: In fact (whisper it) I think I may even prefer it to my new asscher, which was the culmination of years of searching for the perfect stone. :roll:

The best surprise of all was that when I was finally able to look at it with my loupe in the right lighting environment I discovered an inscription on the girdle!!! 2 in fact - a GIA number and the Tycoon brand and serial number :D:appl: And having looked up the GIA certificate I discovered the diamond is a quarter of a carat larger than the jeweller thought, its a 1.27ct, G VS2! :dance:

Anyway, on to the important part - here are a couple of pics of my new treasure:

20210918_202121.jpg 20210918_174033.jpg 20210918_172008.jpg 20210918_173704.jpg 20210918_174026.jpg
20210918_173038.jpg

What a great find!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a gorgeous find!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring-congrats on your lucky find!

Thank you.

Last year I learned that SMH means "shaking my head,"
Okay, I try to think of a ring with the coolest rectangular cut diamond - something not often seen - and some amazing sidestones, also in an unusual cut. Basically the (my) dream EC ring. You're window shopping and you find it, and it's a fabulous example.
Your last two rings had me saying, No way she's going to top that.
SMH.
:D If there is such a thing as a ring-o-holic I think I might be one :lol: However, I really do need to get a grip - no further major purchases (unless I sell something first). I have to say that this Tycoon has really blown me away and has turned out to be unexpectedly beautiful and perfect. The only downside is that I think I may prefer it to my asscher :roll: Even saying that makes me feel bad for my asscher, considering how long it took me to find. And then here comes this Tycoon out of nowhere, and it has completely turned my head.

Are you looking for a rectangular cut ATM then? Whilst I was waiting for my ring to be sized I was frenziedly searching up tycoon diamonds to see what else was out there and get an idea of prices etc. I found this one which is an estate piece I think:

and also this:

Plus these on 1st Dibbs:

Im sure there are others out there too although they may not be listed as tycoons, probably emeralds, baguettes radiants or modified rectangular diamonds
Congrats on your find! It's gorgeous !
Thank you

Omg it’s breathtaking. So glad you went with your gut, this ring is a real treasure
I think it was a question of heart over head, the minute I saw it I was smitten and all my usual caution went out of the window.

Oh my god. This is my first time seeing a tycoon cut in action. It is astounding! You are one lucky lady. May I say, I am so incredibly happy for you to find it so randomly, lol.
Thank you. I not used to random finds and spur of the moment purchases. Normally I drive myself (and everyone else) mad with all my deliberations, scrutiny and over-thinking :lol:

That ring is so cool and so is the story

my new favorite PS diamond ring :kiss2:
congradulations on an awsome find :appl:
Thank you.
What a GORGEOUS ring and awesome story!!!! You must have been over the moon when you found those inscriptions - so exciting!! :appl:

It looks amazing!!! Congrats on a really spectacular find :love:
Thank you, I am still pinching myself :)

Wow!!! What a score! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your fabulous story about your stunning find. :appl::appl::appl:
WOOOWWWW wow wow
:D

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@diamondhoarder This ring is absolute perfection! It‘s so beautiful…The diamond and setting are just amazing! What a find!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
husband looks at monitor
I click the vido, press play
husband throws his hands in the air "where did that come from"
antique ps'er found
"I'm f'd..stop reading that board" [followed by a scared..very scared laugh]
nope..can't
"god dammit" as he grumbles away

WOW..just..WOW..magnificent!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love this cut. That ring is amazing.:shock:
Just, yeah.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
What an amaaaaaaazing story and ring! It’s just beautiful!

rubilee

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness. Beautiful - absolute gorgeous. So jealous of the ring and the story!!! This is probably one of my favorite rings I’ve seen on pricescope!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful diamond! I'd never heard of the cut before, but I can see why it captivated you in the store window. The video really shows it performing beautifully!

Congrats on your amazing find!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
diamondhoarder, I'm not looking at the moment, although you've done a service to everyone else on this forum who's saying, "Where can I get one?"
Regarding your Asscher, I kind of think you'll go back to it. I have a 1.07 EC, K w/ fluor and honestly, it has about the size impact of my 1.77 Asscher. It costed less than half of the Asscher. I had it set in a used ring with tiny side baguettes and I wear it almost all the time. The Asscher comes out of its show dog crate for special events (like I have loads of them!) but Alex, my EC, is my companion. It's satisfying to wear something you're not insanely worried about.
You're going to have fun with all your very, very beautiful and hard to source rings

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I too love these needle in haystack stories!
That is seriously a beautiful ring!
(might have to try that on for a wee moment?)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results