carat
color
clarity

My 2.29 ct AVR...Take 1!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1437333185|3904886 said:
Hey DS! I am so excited for you, it is great to be able to get all this input from ps-ers!!!

What did your daughter say?

I love the solitaire you posted :love: And did I read Caysie suggested 8 prongs a la Edwardian? Well... that would be completely stunning- I love the 8 prongs, or octagonal halo's with these OEC cuts- it is just harmonious. Has Caysie drawn you an idea for an 8 prong solitaire?

I think that seems to just be more perfect for you for your AVR- I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!

I just mentioned you and then you found the thread! :wavey: I am going to try and emulate your rings! :lol: That is the only way I can resolve things is to get the AVR set by Caysie and a smaller AVR or AVC in VanC!

Yes, she likes the 8 prongs and I do think that would be beautiful. I have pics of several antique settings in that style (6-8 prongs), and we'd have to narrow down the details if I go in that direction. I love OECs in the Casablanca...it gives it a frame like your SB setting does. In that respect, you chose the better stone for the halo. I think I am torn because I like the idea of the Casablanca more, but I think the Edwardian solitaires would be more practical for me for daily wear with the size stone I have.

Here are some of the profiles I have saved including the one you recommended...

antiquediamondgallery2.jpg

_32550.jpg

sb.jpg

setting3.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and apacherose...my daughter liked both the Edwardian solitaire and the Casablanca. I didn't show her all the others at the time. I honestly think I am pretty safe with any antique style setting as far as she is concerned. I just know that if I go with a soltaire, it needs to be a lot different from what I have or it's not worth resetting.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437145452|3904072 said:
Thank you for taking the time to explain, Mrs Blop! I love the idea of an AVC in a halo! I agree with you about having a frame for these stones that compliments them. I remember when Kathley set her OEC in a halo, and I thought how the contrast of the halo just made her beautiful OEC stand out even more.

Thank you, DS for your nice words! I spent many months trying to decide what setting to finally choose for my OEC. And like you, I wanted an heirloom piece to pass down to my daughter. I am also a fan of the simple/elegant look, which is why I chose a plain shank, but with sleeker details/interest under the basket of the halo. The halo definitely has made my OEC stand out/pop and it has such a presence that was not there in the non-halo setting that I had. Another reason I chose the halo, is that it provides some protection against accidentally bumping my diamond that could result in chips. My daughter loves Singlestone's Allison setting, however, when she tries on my ring, she adores it as well and said she would be excited about wearing my ring as an heirloom piece because she said "mom this ring is you and I will always feel that you would be with me when I wear it"!

DS, the make on our diamonds is very, very close and I too am waiting to see what setting you choose. It will be exquisite!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1437333732|3904888 said:
mrs-blop|1437127397|3903992 said:
I know what you mean - these settings don't grow on trees!

Yes, I love my setting. But something I haven't mentioned is that it was only ever intended to be a temporary setting. In the next year or two I'm going to switch out the diamond for an AVC - preferably a star cut. I

On a completely different note, yesterday I bought a pair of pears from JA to go either side of my 1.78ct stone currently set in the BGD tapered tiffany setting. quote]

Oh my! I just adore that AVR, and she seems to only ever be the bridesmaid, never the bride! What a lovely diamond she is- and how I love her in the yellow gold setting you have her in now. Sigh. Well, I am completely one to love AVC's, so, I get it, just she better go to another ps-er so I can continue to admire!!!

Okay, and congrats on your pear acquisition- that is my dream setting for a MRB, as well. :lickout: Enjoy your rings, and looking forward to you sharing along down the road!

I loved reading all your thoughts for DS's AVR

Apacherose - Thank you for your kind words. I do have one possible setting idea for my AVR, so who knows? I think the plan will unfold in its own time, and I'll be as surprised as anyone else!

Re the MRB and pears - I can't wait to set it; like a number of ladies on PS, I have loved that setting style FOREVER!

And yes, I have dozens of great ideas for DS's stone. As she said - it's such fun to spend other people's money!! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Kathley!

Brief update, I have decided that putting a halo on a stone that already seems large to me might result in me wearing it less, so I will have to save halo plans for another stone. So I am back to focusing on non-halo settings and am narrowing down some designs with Caysie. I think I'll save the final choice until it is completed. I am going to try and combine antique, simple, and elegant all in the same ring! :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions...I will be looking back through the pictures!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem to be making quite some progress DS! Excited to see the outcome.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an exciting & exhilarating project for you! I'm sure stressful as well. Too many ideas, too much money & too much thought about how, when, where & whom the ring will go too. Enjoy it for YOU now, let the person you will it to worry about it then. :lol: Sounds like you might have a handle on the overall ring design. My suggestion would be to go with the Casablanca as you really like the style. It is VERY delicate & no way does it over power the centre stone or make it look horribly large or out of place. Also, if you love the Casablanca, as I also love it, omit the halo part & retain the soft, point up octagon (somehow incorporate what you love about the Casablanca but without the halo). ;)) Whatever you decide, will be a beautiful solitaire & a unique ring that represents your tastes. :appl:

Judy
:))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437446811|3905485 said:
Thanks, Kathley!

Brief update, I have decided that putting a halo on a stone that already seems large to me might result in me wearing it less, so I will have to save halo plans for another stone. So I am back to focusing on non-halo settings and am narrowing down some designs with Caysie. I think I'll save the final choice until it is completed. I am going to try and combine antique, simple, and elegant all in the same ring! :lol:

Yay! I think that for you this is a great decision. I can sense that while you think they are pretty, the halos are not for you - not for this ring. My vote would be for some side stone embellishment - not a three stone but not a plain solitaire either. Sounds like you are on the right track for creating a beautiful ring! The halos will work for your RHRs so it's not like you won't get the enjoyment of them either.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437188741|3904365 said:
Thanks for your encouragement Acinom, Ariel, mns12, and Sarah! I have decided that the only way to solve this is to have multiple rings! :Up_to_something: :lol:

DS - you have always inspired me - and this comment is no exception!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1437169469|3904273 said:
I'm just gonna keep lobbing ideas at you till I find one that sticks.... :bigsmile:

ETA I hesitate to put this out there because it's kind of a personal idea - but I've thought about having my AVR set in an octagonal bed, then halo'd with very small half moon diamonds.

Just sayin'....

<lob>

:bigsmile:

I can see it! wasn't there a solitaire setting posted recently that produced a bit of a scalloped look to the round center? Quite pretty.
I'll see if I can find it & post a photo. Not that it would necessarily be to your taste, DS, but it might be fun to add to Mrs.B's wealth of ideas : )

edit: found it - Caysie's Dahlia setting. Don't know if I'm allow to post photo, but it's on her facebook page.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Kathley!

YAY! Half the battle is over:) Antique, simple, and elegant sounds perfect!!I really can not wait to see the finished piece of art.
Do you know if you will want to pair it with an existing band..or are you not even going there yet?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kathley!

I think it is great that you have narrowed your focus which should make your final decision easier. I think you will be happier with an antique-style solitaire with some pretty embellishments rather than a halo. Based on Caysie's work that I have seen on Pricescope and your own good taste I am sure it will end up being something stunning. Have fun with the process!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has some serious legs!

DS, glad to see you've made some progress narrowing down what you feel will suit. It's such a beautiful stone - I can understand wanting to get it absolutely spot on!

I'm sure CvB will give you something out of this world - and I'm equally sure we'll all be thrilled to see it. I hope you get exactly what will make you happy for this setting. Holding my breath with you.....

:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want you all to know how much I appreciate your interest, encouragement, and time to comment on this thread! I can feel like I am going in the right direction with such affirmation! I think ultimately the reason I need (*want*) more than one diamond ring is that I do need simple and elegant for most of the time, but I have a sincere love for other more intricate settings like the CVB Casablanca halo and Van Craeynest. My eventual hope is to do all three, but one at least with a colored stone which is more cost effective! All I need is a money tree! :lol:

Thank you all again!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1370902329|3462948 said:
tiny blue wildflowers...

Bottom picture is the most perfect one of a diamond I have ever seen :love: :love:

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a great direction! I can't wait to see what you decide to do!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Sphene and Kathleen!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
ds2006, count me in as someone waiting to see how you set your AVR!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, HegemonyC! The bench Caysie will use for the setting is going on vacation for about 3 weeks beginning around now, so it was not possible to start it before they left. So it will be several more weeks.

I love the setting design but I admit to having second thoughts about the size of the diamond. So I have to think carefully whether I want to keep the stone permanently before I spend the rest of the money to actually make the setting. I know most PSers think that sounds crazy, but I think both of my daughters would feel uncomfortable with a stone that size, so I have to think about whether to trade it now before I invest in a new setting.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NOOOO!!!! You can't go smaller!

Unless, you mean that they would want something bigger. Then by all means, let me be your enabler! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers|1442788657|3929963 said:

Unless, you mean that they would want something bigger. Then by all means, let me be your enabler! :naughty:

Lol! I knew that would cause a reaction! Just hoping few people see that! I am crazy, I admit. It just gives me pleasure thinking of my girls and granddaughters having my pieces one day, and while I know I buy them for my own pleasure now, I also want them to be wearable for them. I am better than I used to be...I had the hardest time going from 1 ct to 1.6 cts, and I think the jump to 2.3 was a little much! I just loved the facet pattern so much! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, what would you consider to be an ideal size stone for yourself? I remember the 1.4 vs 1.6 dilemma but now that you've crossed the two carat threshold, where do you honestly think you'd be comfortable?

Do you want to stay with the AVR, go back to MRB or try another shape altogether?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1442796603|3930020 said:
Yimmers|1442788657|3929963 said:

Lol! I knew that would cause a reaction! Just hoping few people see that! I am crazy, I admit. It just gives me pleasure thinking of my girls and granddaughters having my pieces one day, and while I know I buy them for my own pleasure now, I also want them to be wearable for them. I am better than I used to be...I had the hardest time going from 1 ct to 1.6 cts, and I think the jump to 2.3 was a little much! I just loved the facet pattern so much! :lol:

Awwww, you are such a great Mom to put such thought & care into what they may like in future. :clap: Sometimes the older you get it seems you get more comfortable with a little larger diamond. Maybe they will too! Lol. I can understand the setting is a big step so lots to think through. I bet your girls would tell you to do what makes you most happy though! Maybe somewhere a little below 2ct? Looking forward to seeing what you decide. :wavey:

Btw, do they already claim dibs on any of your pieces? :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1442799248|3930028 said:
Awwww, you are such a great Mom to put such thought & care into what they may like in future. :clap: Sometimes the older you get it seems you get more comfortable with a little larger diamond. Maybe they will too! Lol. I can understand the setting is a big step so lots to think through. I bet your girls would tell you to do what makes you most happy though! Maybe somewhere a little below 2ct? Looking forward to seeing what you decide. :wavey:

Btw, do they already claim dibs on any of your pieces? :lol:

Thank you! You know, the older daughter has called dibs on my Beaudry right hand rings, but I tell her she can't have everything! She does like more detailed settings, and certainly either of them would probably reset a solitaire unless they decided to wear mine and reset theirs in a pendant or right hand ring. The younger daughter has smaller fingers, so she just thinks nothing will fit her. But I will eventually send some things to be resized, if needed.

I have always liked diamonds as close as possible but just under a major price jump size (like 1.8-1.99 or 1.4-1.49, etc). But in order to upgrade this one, I'd still have to be over 2 cts in a higher color unless I sold this stone outright. There are no AVR's available that would work, so I really could only upgrade to a H&A stone.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is it financially reasonable to trade up in color but down in size to another H&A stone? I sometimes think the reluctance to settle on a setting is more a reluctance to declare the current stone 'the one' - maybe because of color, maybe because of size, maybe because of the stone itself.

I'm truly not trying to force your hand but if it's not forever, don't have a setting made for it. There is no one here that will think you are crazy and I would be very sad for you to end up with a stone and ring that you are either not wild about or that makes you feel uncomfortable. I may be way off base but I think it deserves more thought. Just my two cents and sorry if I took the lid off of the wrong pot - lo!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1442801374|3930044 said:
So is it financially reasonable to trade up in color but down in size to another H&A stone? I sometimes think the reluctance to settle on a setting is more a reluctance to declare the current stone 'the one' - maybe because of color, maybe because of size, maybe because of the stone itself.

I'm truly not trying to force your hand but if it's not forever, don't have a setting made for it. There is no one here that will think you are crazy and I would be very sad for you to end up with a stone and ring that you are either not wild about or that makes you feel uncomfortable. I may be way off base but I think it deserves more thought. Just my two cents and sorry if I took the lid off of the wrong pot - lo!!

You are a genius and apparently know me really well, my friend. :wavey:

I couldn't decide for TWO YEARS about a setting. And after Caysie designed a gorgeous setting (which I will pay design fees for, definitely), I still felt uneasy and realized it wasn't the setting that was the problem. And you are also right, G-H was always my sweet spot for color and I cannot shake that.

Ideally, I think I'd love a smaller AVR to put in that Van C setting I have always loved, but that could not be my only/primary e-ring (I prefer more simple/classic for daily wear). I do think a H&A stone belongs in the Vatche setting. Why didn't I talk to you about this a long time ago?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1442799091|3930026 said:
DS, what would you consider to be an ideal size stone for yourself? I remember the 1.4 vs 1.6 dilemma but now that you've crossed the two carat threshold, where do you honestly think you'd be comfortable?

Do you want to stay with the AVR, go back to MRB or try another shape altogether?

Somehow I did not see this post and replied to your second post first (see above).

YES! I am not sure what that magic ideal size is!!! You are right that I spent a LOT of time telling Jon that the 1.6 was too big! But then when I sold it and went to 1.5, I did miss that .1mm difference! So I did get used to the 1.6 and that is for sure the minimum. In order to trade the AVR in, it would take a 2 ct G VS mrb to reach the price level of the 2.3 I VS1 AVR. (AVR's are not an option because there just are not any with my specs.) If I could sell the AVR myself and not have to pay a consignment fee, I could sell it at a small discount and use that money to buy maybe a 1.8-2.0 and have some left to go towards a second stone which would likely be an emerald cut. But before I buy anything, I need to figure out the size which isn't easy because cz's only come in sizes like 7.5, 8mm, 9mm, etc and not the in-between sizes. I think I might like 2 cts but I really want to get it right this time. (I did recently buy a 1.65 mrb second hand and that could be used in a solitaire if I could go down that much in size, but I really was buying it with the idea of making a three stone ring. I am not making a decision about that until I figure out my e-ring!!!!)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should keep the existing AVR it's a stunning stone!!! Not all AVRs are created equal, yours is a one of a kind.... Put it into a simple Antique looking 8 prong. Buy a smaller stone from Victor that is whiter or wait and get a top performing whiter H & A tranny or OEC from Erica or Grace and put it into your Van C. ring and hey presto you have two stunning rings you can leave to your daughters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results