shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1.86 Arrived!! Question for "J" wearers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
ETA: I don't know why the pics are so big...sorry! Also...the title was supposed to say "Question for "J" wearers"

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe that the diamond is here! Phew! We were so worried about the shipping/FedEx pickup in the states etc...but everything was smooth as can be!!

We drove to the FedEx station and picked up the medium sized box and sat in the car. Of course I let the bf open the box, since it was his purchase and I felt lucky that I was going to be seeing it at all! So he opened the first box, to find another smaller box. In that smaller box was an envelope that contained the certificate etc and there was a jewellery box. BF opened the box so he could see it first, and then he showed me. OH MY GOODNESS! It was so beautiful! It was too funny though, we were both so paranoid, looking over our shoulders to make sure no one was watching us! ha!

So I was able to look at it for a little bit today and took a few pictures of the stone.

I absolutely love it! It is perfect and HUGE! My bf loves it too, but is concerned a bit about the warmth from the side. Granted it isn't much, but it is noticable if you look.

He is wondering whether we can get a premium cut with a higher colour and bigger size for the same price...his mother has a beautiful ring that was bought 25 years ago in Antwerp that is stunning and massive, but according to her cert is a 'medium' cut. And now he is wondering if we went overboard with the Ideal cut? If anyone can chime in with advice that I could pass on to him that would be great!!

And now...pictures!

IMG_0498.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Pic 2

IMG_0502small.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
And another!

IMG_0508small.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
And here are the specs for those who are interested...

. Report: AGS
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.86
Colour: J
Clarity: VS2
. Depth %: 60.7
. Table %: 56.5
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 15.1
. Pavilion Angle: 40.9
. Pavilion %: 43.2
. Girdle: Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 7.94*8.00*4.84
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Stone is fine.
Claws/prongs in a "unusual" place but.....:)

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
It''s a temporary holder for the stone...

Should I be worried?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert - in fact I am a complete beginner but I have to say in my opinion (for what its worth lol) I think your stone is beautiful. If my hubby bought me one like that I would be over the moon.

I bet once its set it will look amazing. I am seriously considering a ''J''. From what I have seen on here there is the potential to buy a gorgeous stone!!

Maisie

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
The last one for now!

IMG_0503small.JPG

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A temporary stone holder is just a device to give you a visual idea of how
the stone would look set in a mounting. Use caution if you open the prongs up..
the stone could jump out.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
J colored stones are not for everyone. I think that one is beyond gorgeous. However, you will be the one wearing it. I would not let a little warmth from the side pry a 1.86 ct ideal stone off my finger, but that''s me.
20.gif
You have to do what is best for you as you will be wearing it.

shay

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
That was a trick...here is the last one!

I have to work on my picture taking skills...but I had to move quickly because I only have a limited time to look at it before the bf puts it away for good!

IMG_0506small.JPG

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
What`s the point of temporary setting a stone????????
increases the damage risk by er~3 times!
Some sales company`s have zilch knowledge of whats best (apart from their $$$$$$$) .

I`m sure no problems here ,just seems abit dumb to me ,though you are in the us?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s just gorgeous...it would certainly do for me!!
3.gif

I think most agree that cut is the one thing you don''t want to compromise on. If the color does turn out to be a problem, (again...it sure wouldn''t for me), I''d come down in clarity and weight before I''d compromise on cut...

widget

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its much easier to give an opinion when you see the stone next to your skin.

I think its so pretty. If you don''t want it can I have it?
31.gif

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 3:40:29 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
Its much easier to give an opinion when you see the stone next to your skin.

I think its so pretty. If you don''t want it can I have it?
31.gif
Haha you are too cute!! I''ll let you know...but I don''t think it will be going anywhere for a while! :) We are getting it appraised next week and hopefully once my bf hears what the appraiser has to say, it will be ours forever!

Now I still have to figure out the setting dillema....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it was worth a try
9.gif

I wish you all the luck in finding your perfect setting. Make sure you post pictures once you have it all sorted.

Maisie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not an expert but... You could do that... but I don't think you could get an F-G for that price... and if you compromise on cut quality ... you will be able to see the yellow from the TOP too. Maybe an H or I... WF expert Selection instead of ACA... but I don't know.

ETA: Personally? I LOVE that stone. I've seen Mara's in person... and all you see is sparkle and fire baby.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Plus I think there used to be a thread on how to take great pictures of diamonds...can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like an amazing stone...beautiful color if you ask me! And such great spread! I can see a bit of warmth in my stone from the side too, but honeslty, it doesn''t bother me. No one else has ever noticed anything but the size and sparkle...and that''s what that gorgeous stone will give you too! Can you tell I really like it??? Haha.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks GREAT to me. I really like the "hand shot" you did. IF the color really really bothers you then change it. From the photos it looks good to me. But you are the one wearing it your opinion matters.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
wow It looks lovely against your hand! Huge and if you''re happy with the color then that''s all that matters! Have you thought about the settings to give to your BF to choose from?
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 3:26:21 PM
Author: Londonchris
What`s the point of temporary setting a stone????????
increases the damage risk by er~3 times!
Some sales company`s have zilch knowledge of whats best (apart from their $$$$$$$) .

I`m sure no problems here ,just seems abit dumb to me ,though you are in the us?
you're a jeweler? you don't know what that is? LOL!

It's a tweezer- the stone isn't "set" it is held in place by tension - it is NOT secure to wear around, but it allows a woman to put the stone on their finger to see what it looks like, it holds the stone.

That said, a lot of people use REAL temporary settings for proposing so that the woman can wear the stone chosen by her beau while she or they look for a permanent setting for it...

risk is why we have insurance. Here's a pic of one of these temp settings from the side:

cbOMC24.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 3:30:18 PM
Author: Londonchris

Date: 1/19/2007 3:22:27 PM
Author: Modified Brillia. Use caution if you open the prongs up..
the stone could jump out.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
Spring set........!
more like you will chip it.
good grief! I''ve had my stone in and out of its holder thingy a thousand times in the past 6 months and it hasn''t chipped.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful, sunshine! I am color sensitive and I would have no issues with that stone!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 5:25:11 PM
Author: KimberlyH
It''s beautiful, sunshine! I am color sensitive and I would have no issues with that stone!
ditto! I think it''s gorgeous - I wouldn''t sacrifice the idealcut for anything :)

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everybody!! I''m so excited that you all like it! I am absolutely in love with it! My bf took it to a so-called reputable store today and couldn''t tell the difference between a G colour stone and ours...so that was great news! The funny thing is that they couldn''t tell what colour ours was either! They said that when you are looking in the top range of colours (D,E,F,G) the difference is hard to see...and that its once you get to the I''s and J''s that you see the yellow :) haha.

I''ll see if I can get some more pics later this weekend, and will also add in all of my setting options that I DEFINITELY need help on!!

Thanks everyone!

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Its georgeous!! I wouldnt have though J at all! I hope you like it!!!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
your stone is so beautiful! That J color wouldn''t bother me one bit. It looks so lovely on your hand. Great job!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!!! Face up it''s absolutely fine, so maybe just put it in a basket settinng or something that doesn''t show as much of the side as a typical four prong basic setting. Don''t worry though, most people don''t really view or enjoy diamonds from the side view...the questions is really whether the side warmth is going to bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results