color
clarity

More eBay news....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Fellow PS'ers!
For those who use eBay....
Starting soon, eBay requires you to allow them to process payments- meaning PayPal is out.
In return, eBay is raising the rates they charge to the seller if something sells. Up to a $2500 sale, it's now going to cost the seller about 14%.....

eBay is making it easier for sellers in that they will return their commission in the event of a refund. PayPal used to do that until a few months back.....so eBay is touting that as an advantage. There's also a competitive rate for accepting the credit cards above the $2500 barrier.
But once they have the market tied up, who's to prevent them from raising rates, and or keeping commissions in the event of a refund.Call me skeptical, but I'm not comfortable trusting eBay- are you?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a PITA!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do we know when this is going into effect? I have quite a few things on EBay I may have to pull, I don't think having EBay handle everything is a great idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, looks like it’s goodbye EBay time for me.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll check on the dates...July 15 seems to stick out in my mind...

To me, this is just another nail in the coffin of small businesses.
When we started with eBay, in 1999, it was such a great place.
The issue for small business had gotten worse and worse.
THe "big boys" in any industry spend hundreds of thousands ( or millions) a month on google placement, etc.
In the "old days," it was possible to get noticed organically. Now? Good luck.
That makes eBay even more crucial to small business.....but they clearly don't care....sad

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I’m confused. Why do you think this is a bad thing? I was pissed as hell when PayPal started to refuse refunds on commissions! In other words, if a buyer decided to return the item, the seller was out the 3 percent in PayPal fees! When you say eBay will charge 14 percent, doesn’t that translate into an extra 1 percent? As it is now, I calculate that I lose 13 percent total to eBay and PayPal. Am I wrong? I don’t mind losing the extra 1 percent if it means that I won’t have to swallow commission fees from PayPal if the item is returned. Can you please clarify if I’m misunderstanding?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI @nala
I'll get the exact numbers and post them so we can all see the specifics...
But in general....
YES- fixing the lost commission aspect would be amazing for sellers.
But remember, PayPal sold us on how great they were by stressing this aspect ( returning the commission).
They took it back without a second thought.
What's to keep eBay from doing the same thing in some period of time?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a safe and reliable alternative to eBay and PayPal, though??

I personally don't think either of them are that safe or that reliable... but at least they are a known (unreliable) quantity.

If there were alternative platforms / payment systems, I would be tempted to use them!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Playing devil’s advocate here @Rockdiamond - are you still running your business like it’s 1999 - including pricing?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Playing devil’s advocate here @Rockdiamond - are you still running your business like it’s 1999 - including pricing?

Amazing point- and very true.
Adapt or perish.
I guess my lament is kind of like howling at the moon.....but I do very much appreciate the community and the discussion

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t think it matters how Rock runs his business; rather, I think the better/proper question is: why is ebay still running its business/platform like it’s 1999 with little improvement & lots of fraud while charging an arm and a leg & increasing risk to businesses & customers? I don’t do much on eBay these days except a rare, bored perusal, but as a buyer there is little/no positive improvements over the years, but lots of negatives. Just my $0.02.

EC8

Shiny_Rock

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can tell you without hesitation that eBay is not very good at policing listings.
Back in the old days ( boy I feel old:) when people stole our pictures, we could actually show eBay proof the pics were ours, and they'd take action. That was waaaaaay bay in the oughts ( 2009-2009)

Nowadays, steal whatever pic you want, ebay ain't gonna do squat.

Also- they DO spend a lot of time on enforcement.
But nothing silly like protecting consumers.
If a seller even accidentally mentions any contact outside eBay and you can get tossed, no warning.
So they're taking to time to monitor all communications.
Now, I would not go as far to say eBay is defrauding people themselves- but they certainly turn a blind eye- except to watch their own butt

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing - please provide support for your fraud & risk commentary.

There are dozens of threads on PS highlighting the multiple incidents where listings contain stolen pictures, fraudulently advertising items for sale - not just vendors, but the privately-owned pieces of many PSers. And that’s just some jewelry ... I’ve reported listings many times to no avail.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@EC8 For starters ... one dates back to 2006! Nothing new ... this IS a risk for buyers who aren’t on PS who get to know the photo styles/set-ups and pieces to distinguish the fraudsters selling fakes.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
@the_mother_thing - not sure what your point is - EBay can’t vet every item listed on its site - by definition auctions are caveat emptor ( read any catalog from the b&m auction house).
My original point was/is is that the costs of running an internet platform are not static over time, so expecting costs to not change over time in unrealistic.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing - not sure what your point is - EBay can’t vet every item listed on its site - by definition auctions are caveat emptor ( read any catalog from the b&m auction house).
My original point was/is is that the costs of running an internet platform are not static over time, so expecting costs to not change over time in unrealistic.

I’m not sure online auctions can/should follow that same process even if maybe they do. Buyers realistically have no way to verify an item or - in some cases - a business’ authenticity, quality, legitimacy, etc. And what makes eBay complicit in my mind in the fraud & increased risk to consumers is when items are reported as fraud and they allow them to stand anyway. And when it’s a business’ intellectual property being ripped off, that results in damage to that business in potential loss of sales and reputational risk.

If eBay is going to charge so much in fees while not substantially improving their platform or service over time, the least they could do is require some degree of legitimate validation for sellers to minimize the risk of fraud to consumers. As it is, anyone can create an account and sell things.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t read that eBay will “require you” to use their new payment platform. PayPal is a firm market favourite for thousands if not millions of online businesses as well as purchasers!
What will happen apparently is that eBay won’t be using PayPal as the credit card facilitator.
Currently you can use a credit card for eBay purchase with or without a PayPal account. It’s the “without PayPal” credit card transactions that will be directed to the new payment method.
And PayPal won’t be promoted as the “preferred payment method”. And it’s obvious that sellers will have to sign up for the new eBay payment facilities. PayPal will remain an option but not the promoted or preferred option.
eBay will encourage, possibly “bully” sellers to direct their buyers to the new payment facility by offering lower Seller fees AND the return of commission if a sale is cancelled. PayPal shot itself in the foot introducing that sly change.
PayPal should have increased its per transaction fee rather than keep money despite a sale falling through.
What seller can afford to pay for NOT having a sale! It has stopped eBay sellers offering a “no problem” return because NOT selling the $5,000 item costs the seller $150. This might be ok for those business sellers with thousands of transactions but for small business / private sellers it’s financially untenable. It just pushes buyers back to big business who still can afford to provide a return facility. That’s sad, because I always felt that eBay was a good avenue for small business/ private sellers to make a little extra money.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go take a look on the thread about purchases from China. It’s very recent.

Might you have a link? I searched but didn’t find it; thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh, I’m running out but I think it was on fabulous fashion jewelry about a warning about buying from China.

(It May have been more about Paypal)

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock

I think it's this one:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll be taking my items off of EBAY

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Surprised this hasn’t come up in this thread earlier but eBay employees’ actions against their critics have been unconscionable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results