shape
carat
color
clarity

Mona (Instagram: moissy_diamond_jewelry) formerly fr. Starsgem

BMI

Shiny_Rock
0740170F-D175-41CA-8544-DCF6068798A8.jpeg 4AD480B9-44CE-4F55-9C10-7B25280B19AD.jpeg

The stone is very much a chameleon which I’m thankful for. It’s facing up really white here at the beach, it’s the whitest I’ve seen it look. The cut is to die for. It still shows a lot of yellow/warmth from the side though. I hope whatever stone she gets cut looks exactly like this one.

I will keep you guys updated when I get the new stone which I’m hoping is cut just as nicely as the currently stone :D

I'm sorry you were not sent a stone the same color as all of the other GH stones people have posted pictures of and for all of your subsequent troubles.
I personally own three different OEC moissanite stones and I have been looking at moissanite pictures online for about seven years now. I am really wondering if your stone was cut from the older 6H moissanite rough rather than the newer 4H moissanite. Your description of the stone as being a "chameleon" is a huge indicator that it may be and it looks like 6H rough to me in your pictures. I have two OEC stones made from new rough and one OEC from the old rough (which btw is what most of the India moissanite being sold is).
I mention this only because if your current stone is the original type of moissanite, a new stone will not look or behave exactly like the one you now have. So even if the stone is cut identical, it may not have the same depth and contrast that your current stone has. I cannot be certain just based on pictures, but I wanted to mention this because after all you've gone through I really hope you will be happy with the new stone you receive. Having realistic expectations usually helps me with my satisfaction level, so I just wanted to give you a heads up on the possibility that in whiter rough the same exact cut may not look or act identical. But it will still be beautiful if cut well!

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry you were not sent a stone the same color as all of the other GH stones people have posted pictures of and for all of your subsequent troubles.
I personally own three different OEC moissanite stones and I have been looking at moissanite pictures online for about seven years now. I am really wondering if your stone was cut from the older 6H moissanite rough rather than the newer 4H moissanite. Your description of the stone as being a "chameleon" is a huge indicator that it may be and it looks like 6H rough to me in your pictures. I have two OEC stones made from new rough and one OEC from the old rough (which btw is what most of the India moissanite being sold is).
I mention this only because if your current stone is the original type of moissanite, a new stone will not look or behave exactly like the one you now have. So even if the stone is cut identical, it may not have the same depth and contrast that your current stone has. I cannot be certain just based on pictures, but I wanted to mention this because after all you've gone through I really hope you will be happy with the new stone you receive. Having realistic expectations usually helps me with my satisfaction level, so I just wanted to give you a heads up on the possibility that in whiter rough the same exact cut may not look or act identical. But it will still be beautiful if cut well!
Funny you mention that because I was just wondering about it earlier. I just assume Mona is using the newer rough because all the other Chinese sellers are but I haven’t asked her. I haven’t seen the new stone yet but I’ll be posting pictures once I do and I’ll also compare it to my current stone once I have it.
but looking back at previous stones and the other antique cushion she cut, they didn’t look this yellow. I really just think the rough she picked out was lower than GH and she didn’t want to order another stone

Last edited:

miafab

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20190525-074732_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190525-074814_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190525-074258_WhatsApp.jpg
Yay! My rings are finished!
They ship tomorrow :)
One is platinum with a 7.5mm GH OEC and the other is 18k Yellow gold 3mm band with eight 2mm stones.
I love them from the pictures, can't wait to see them on my hand!

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Screenshot_20190525-074732_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190525-074814_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190525-074258_WhatsApp.jpg
One is platinum with a 7.5mm GH OEC and the other is 18k Yellow gold 3mm band with eight 2mm stones.
I wonder if they were from someone here.
Beautiful!!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
That OEC! :kiss2::love:

tpl001

Rough_Rock

They look well done. Congrats !!!

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I received my custom omc! GH 6x6.5. It has the most stunning facets - they're just so clean! Now I see why the elongated omc is so popular :P2

Comparison with my starsgem 6x6mm IJ is interesting. Even taking into consideration that this one is supposed to be a little bigger because it's longer, it's got significantly more face up area because of the shape of the stone being more squarish. The body colour of mona's stone is definitely less yellow than the IJ (woop). However, starsgem one is a little brighter face up. Is that because of the longer culet in the elongated one?

Here are a couple of photos. It's so pretty...!!

IMG_20190528_160206.jpg IMG_20190528_155936.jpg

That's very pretty! Congrats! Mona definitely does amazing cuts.

I think the SG one faces up brighter because SG probably uses slightly better rough that isn't as warm. Because I've seen more squarish antique cut with round culet from SG that still faces up white. Mona is starting out so I don't think she has as many connections yet and she admitted to finding the best rough she can within the low price she charges.

May I ask how much that was? I would love to get something similar at 7.5x8 but in near colorless. What pics did you show her for that facets?

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
That's very pretty! Congrats! Mona definitely does amazing cuts.

I think the SG one faces up brighter because SG probably uses slightly better rough that isn't as warm. Because I've seen more squarish antique cut with round culet from SG that still faces up white. Mona is starting out so I don't think she has as many connections yet and she admitted to finding the best rough she can within the low price she charges.

May I ask how much that was? I would love to get something similar at 7.5x8 but in near colorless. What pics did you show her for that facets?

I paid $80 for the stone (not including shipping and paypal fees). I thought it was pretty reasonable considering the custom cut.

As for pics, I referred her to three- the first was baileydare16's, the second was a stone I found on this forum (the owner of which I have unfortunately forgotten), and the third was a screenshot from the AV website. The second and third photos are below :)

I should add, though, that the crown on my stone is not as high as the one in the pic below. Just fyi if that's important to you!

IMG_20190528_213603.jpg IMG_20190528_213642.jpg

Last edited:

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Just dropping in for an update. Mona cut a new stone and I hated it. The culet was at least 2x as wide as the culet on my current stone and the corners looke”sharp”/not as round as the current stone. She told me that she wouldn’t be able to cut a stone like mine again because she didn’t have the “data” on it. I asked why she didn’t have the data if she had already cut a stone like it before lol
Anyway I just escalated my dispute on PayPal so they’ll make their decision on this situation

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just dropping in for an update. Mona cut a new stone and I hated it. The culet was at least 2x as wide as the culet on my current stone and the corners looke”sharp”/not as round as the current stone. She told me that she wouldn’t be able to cut a stone like mine again because she didn’t have the “data” on it. I asked why she didn’t have the data if she had already cut a stone like it before lol
Anyway I just escalated my dispute on PayPal so they’ll make their decision on this situation
Do you have pics? And if she didn't have "data" she shouldn't have agreed to cut it!!!! This makes me SO happy I spent extra $$ to go with SG. Thsse issues with Mona are just rediculous, especially that she doesn't just make it right once a mistake has been made.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Do you have pics? And if she didn't have "data" she shouldn't have agreed to cut it!!!! This makes me SO happy I spent extra $$ to go with SG. Thsse issues with Mona are just rediculous, especially that she doesn't just make it right once a mistake has been made.
37A47381-4B1E-4665-BEA3-F915426A94E9.jpeg
maybe it’s not the biggest deal but the culet is bigger and the corners look not as rounded? She just said there is no way she would be able to cut another stone like the one I currently have then told me if I wanted it cut a certain way I would have to provide her the data lol but I can’t provide it because she’s the one that had the stone cut in the first place so idk??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe it’s not the biggest deal but the culet is bigger and the corners look not as rounded? She just said there is no way she would be able to cut another stone like the one I currently have then told me if I wanted it cut a certain way I would have to provide her the data lol but I can’t provide it because she’s the one that had the stone cut in the first place so idk??
I like both stones, but see what you mean. Maybe you could ask for the corners to be polished a bit? Obviously that doesn't fix the culet issue though.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think at this point it is best to leave it into the hand’s of PP. They usually side with the customer on these types of issues. Keep your picture documentation and the fact that you had to pay for the mounting/unmounting fee’s, if that is the case. Reaffirm that you gave her the chance to make it right but she isn’t able to provide you with the same item that was initially/contractually agreed to. I don’t know if they can refund the whole setting costs and it has to be returned or if you can just order a new stone from another company instead and they refund just the cost of the stone?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock

I see what you mean about the corners. But the culets look about the same size to me. Could be the way it's getting shot or the angle?

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I see what you mean about the corners. But the culets look about the same size to me. Could be the way it's getting shot or the angle?
It’s definitely bigger. She sent me a video and that’s all I could notice was the culet and corners.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I think at this point it is best to leave it into the hand’s of PP. They usually side with the customer on these types of issues. Keep your picture documentation and the fact that you had to pay for the mounting/unmounting fee’s, if that is the case. Reaffirm that you gave her the chance to make it right but she isn’t able to provide you with the same item that was initially/contractually agreed to. I don’t know if they can refund the whole setting costs and it has to be returned or if you can just order a new stone from another company instead and they refund just the cost of the stone?
PayPal gave me an option for a partial refund so that’s what I’m asking for. I explained everything and now I’m just waiting for their decision which can take a couple weeks

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ordered an Emerald cut from Mona? I have seen some pictures and videos on her IG. I was just wondering if anyone has one yet.

miafab

Rough_Rock
20190612_121424.jpg I wish I could take better pictures. The rings are way prettier in person. Just wanted to say they're super nice quality and weight and I love them. Everything with Mona went smoothly from start to finish and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her. Actually, I'm already planning a little something for my fall birthday :kiss2: 20190612_121410.jpg 20190612_121228.jpg 20190612_120822.jpg 20190612_121310.jpg 20190612_121301.jpg

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
@miafab They are stunning, enjoy!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sd_flp sorry if this is in the thread, i didn't read through all of it but what color is the cushion in your avatar? It's from Stargems, right? Wondering if it's the same color @lovedogs recently ordered. Been looking for a vendor with a nice brownish pink moissy....thanks for any info =)2

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@sd_flp sorry if this is in the thread, i didn't read through all of it but what color is the cushion in your avatar? It's from Stargems, right? Wondering if it's the same color @lovedogs recently ordered. Been looking for a vendor with a nice brownish pink moissy....thanks for any info =)2
No worries! It's from Starsgem, GH color.

I'm having the worst time taking a photo of the true color with my new phone, but it's not yellow/champagne at all...just not as white as a colorless/EF. Here it is unset:

20190503_181550.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries! It's from Starsgem, GH color.

I'm having the worst time taking a photo of the true color with my new phone, but it's not yellow/champagne at all...just not as white as a colorless/EF. Here it is unset:

20190503_181550.jpg

Gotcha. Yeah i find some cameras really add yellow. Looks pretty on your hand!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha. Yeah i find some cameras really add yellow. Looks pretty on your hand!
Thanks so much! Admittedly it's not a popular shape, but I love it and I get excited when other people get this version.

Off topic, I'm not loving this iPhone X. It's supposed to be an upgrade from my old phone (which is that last pic), but closeups are horrible. My OMC isn't yellow in the setting but I keep having to adjust the lighting/color in new pics I take, which unfortunately makes the stone look more yellow than it really is.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't decide between an OMC and an OEC so i decide to make a Toi et Moi.
Can't wait to see the ring IRL
20FFC998-97A0-41D4-8237-1EAAEDBD4600.jpeg

I am drooling over that champagne OEC! Looking forward to hand shots! :geek2:

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Once i receive it, i will post some hand shots! ☺️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results