shape
carat
color
clarity

Mona (Instagram: moissy_diamond_jewelry) formerly fr. Starsgem

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Objectively speaking, I would hold out for the lab diamonds, although I think it will take a while. I know AV has their own line of lab diamonds and Amora is developing their own but they are still very expensive (to me, at least). I'm hoping that after lightbox makes their 1 carats more available their competitors will be driven to make good stones at affordable prices. I made a comment this morning about Lightbox/DeBeers and their silly little games...I was kinda interested in getting one of their one carat stones but not anymore. :roll: Plus I'm not very keen on the color as the ones lightbox has are F/G and I'd rather have something D or E in a modern round. I know I'm weird in that I like super colorless for modern cuts whereas I like to go warm for antique cuts!!!

I don't regret my AV Ideal Round, though, and I have toyed with the idea of getting another AV...gah, first world problem. :lol: I know for sure I'd never sell my AV or replace it with a lab diamond because it's just too pretty...although I don't know if I'd sell my Tianyu or Mona ones, either because I get very sentimental with my jewelry. :kiss2: But anyway, I don't think you should get an AV or any other higher priced moissy if you are thinking about lab diamonds. And believe me, I love my AV! But for my wedding ring? I'm going with a lab diamond.

You know, I think I will end up keeping my Mona round! It still has a few weeks on it on DB, but once the listing closes, I'm not going to bother to relist it. :D

That’s kinda where I’m at too. I think the Takara lab diamonds will be beautiful, and they’re supposed to be growing 1-1.5 carats this year. The technology is all new for them so it’s taking a while I guess? AV is still way out of my budget for their lab diamonds, but if I paid the money for their Moissanite, I’d absolutely keep it. Lightbox has totally rubbed me the wrong way too with their hoarding, and drilling holes in the stones to make them less valuable (and ultimately less desired IMO) and then releasing heart shaped stones for Valentine’s Day? Talk about putting something out there that NO ONE wanted. Geez. It really is a big game to them. I prefer the GHI color range so I’d be fine with the stones, but I’d have a hard time giving them my money.

I may just do Tianyu stones or even high quality CZs for now just so I can get the stupid thing on my finger!!! And wait for lab diamond prices to drop eventually.

I know this is a super controversial statement that I’m about to make, so my apologies in advance, but with the lab diamond market taking the turn that it is, I’m afraid Moissanite prices will eventually be comparable with CZ prices (think Wink CZ quality) and lab diamonds will replace the Moissanite niche. To be honest I think Moissanite may fade into the background sooner rather than later with the advancements they’re making in the lab diamond industry. Again, just my .02 so please don’t hate me!!! If anyone has a rebuttal, feel free to disprove my theory! :lol: I’m just spitballing here.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s kinda where I’m at too. I think the Takara lab diamonds will be beautiful, and they’re supposed to be growing 1-1.5 carats this year. The technology is all new for them so it’s taking a while I guess? AV is still way out of my budget for their lab diamonds, but if I paid the money for their Moissanite, I’d absolutely keep it. Lightbox has totally rubbed me the wrong way too with their hoarding, and drilling holes in the stones to make them less valuable (and ultimately less desired IMO) and then releasing heart shaped stones for Valentine’s Day? Talk about putting something out there that NO ONE wanted. Geez. It really is a big game to them. I prefer the GHI color range so I’d be fine with the stones, but I’d have a hard time giving them my money.

I may just do Tianyu stones or even high quality CZs for now just so I can get the stupid thing on my finger!!! And wait for lab diamond prices to drop eventually.

I know this is a super controversial statement that I’m about to make, so my apologies in advance, but with the lab diamond market taking the turn that it is, I’m afraid Moissanite prices will eventually be comparable with CZ prices (think Wink CZ quality) and lab diamonds will replace the Moissanite niche. To be honest I think Moissanite may fade into the background sooner rather than later with the advancements they’re making in the lab diamond industry. Again, just my .02 so please don’t hate me!!! If anyone has a rebuttal, feel free to disprove my theory! :lol: I’m just spitballing here.

I don't think that's a controversial statement, hard to say how long that could take but I think it's likely moissys and lab diamonds will both become cheaper. If demand drops for mined diamonds, who knows what will happen there too. Having a value add like stellar cutting is likely to become more important in the future imho.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock

Personally I don’t think you are too far off on that theory! That is actually something I’ve thought about myself and I can see it happening. I think that’s why Swaye has mentioned it is better invest in a good setting...that way you can always replace the center stone. I think having a Tianyu H&A stone is perfectly acceptable and you’ll be very happy with it for a long time before you replace it with the lab diamond you want. I don’t see myself selling my Tianyu (for now); I think if anything, the Ivy and Rose setting will be tossed first because it’s really dainty and I’m not sure how long it will last.

Also, I don’t have any regrets to how much I’ve spent on my jewelry. None of it is valuable when you think about it. Even the stuff I’ve had given to me (pearls, emeralds, even 24k pieces) is more intrinsically valuable to me, not really monetarily valuable. I would be lucky to get even 30 percent of what they were retailed at...not that I would ever sell those, but you know what I mean.

You know, I’m not a huge fan of the Amora/Takara creator, but at this point, I’d rather give him my money than DeBeers. I would not buy any Lightbox unless they sold their stones for $100 a carat, ha!

And...I hate to say this, but the bad side of me kinda wants moissys to go down in value ‘cause that means I get to buy more of them, haha! :lol: I mean, come on, wouldn’t it be great to buy a MoCo AGS 000 for $50?! I would be down! =)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I don’t think you are too far off on that theory! That is actually something I’ve thought about myself and I can see it happening. I think that’s why Swaye has mentioned it is better invest in a good setting...that way you can always replace the center stone. I think having a Tianyu H&A stone is perfectly acceptable and you’ll be very happy with it for a long time before you replace it with the lab diamond you want. I don’t see myself selling my Tianyu (for now); I think if anything, the Ivy and Rose setting will be tossed first because it’s really dainty and I’m not sure how long it will last.

Also, I don’t have any regrets to how much I’ve spent on my jewelry. None of it is valuable when you think about it. Even the stuff I’ve had given to me (pearls, emeralds, even 24k pieces) is more intrinsically valuable to me, not really monetarily valuable. I would be lucky to get even 30 percent of what they were retailed at...not that I would ever sell those, but you know what I mean.

You know, I’m not a huge fan of the Amora/Takara creator, but at this point, I’d rather give him my money than DeBeers. I would not buy any Lightbox unless they sold their stones for $100 a carat, ha!

And...I hate to say this, but the bad side of me kinda wants moissys to go down in value ‘cause that means I get to buy more of them, haha! :lol: I mean, come on, wouldn’t it be great to buy a MoCo AGS 000 for $50?! I would be down! =)2

I agree with everything you just stated x1,000!!! Especially the $50 AGS 000 theory! :) I want my wedding set to be an heirloom piece, but any RHRs or earrings or pendants etc are fair game! I just like pretty. Mind clean isn’t an issue. I have plenty of inexpensive costume rings that I adore and wear often!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Just heard back from Mona about GH stones.

She told me that she mainly does EF but will do GH occasionally. If the stone is too small or the cut is complicated, the cutters will not do GH. In any case, she will try to help the best way possible.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it's ok to post this info here, but in case others want chamapgne color: Mona can't source that color right now :(

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Just heard back from Mona about GH stones.

She told me that she mainly does EF but will do GH occasionally. If the stone is too small or the cut is complicated, the cutters will not do GH. In any case, she will try to help the best way possible.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen2:

I’m seriously considering IJ for H&A Stones! I may have lost my mind. Lol

Hope it's ok to post this info here, but in case others want chamapgne color: Mona can't source that color right now :(

Bummer! Guess you’ll just have to try that pretty light champagne color from Tianyu :whistle:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m seriously considering IJ for H&A Stones! I may have lost my mind. Lol

Bummer! Guess you’ll just have to try that pretty light champagne color from Tianyu :whistle:
Lol! Yeah, starsgem said they can do it. And I'm sure tyianu could as well.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
haha oh my gosh last night Mona quoted me $600 for the ring. Well I was going to pay but she realized she got the quote in the wrong size. She came back and said the factory quoted her $1,100. :o Both tianyu and starsgem quoted me $775 and $790 for the same ring. Mona said she’s going to check with the factory and see if they made a mistake
Update: Mona said because of my ring size they need over 8 grams of gold and that’s why it’s so expensive. I still don’t understand how there is such a big price difference. Mona said it’s because tianyu and starsgem make rings too light but I don’t see how they are making rings so much lighter with the same dimensions.. :( very disheartening. She’s very nice and I was hoping to work with her.

Last edited:

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I am having a very bizarre back and forth lol. Mona wanted me to ask tianyu how much gold they would use for the ring and tianyu said around 5g and Mona said it’s impossible to do. We also went back and forth about the halo ring starsgem made me. After a lengthy discussion I thanked her for her help and we both concluded we had no idea how tianyu and starsgem were saying that weight. I told her I just couldn’t spend $1,100. She said she was sorry and then a few minutes later she said “wait!” And told me she could get a discount from the factory and then quoted me $770 for the ring lol. Which is right around what I told her tianyu quoted me

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I am having a very bizarre back and forth lol. Mona wanted me to ask tianyu how much gold they would use for the ring and tianyu said around 5g and Mona said it’s impossible to do. We also went back and forth about the halo ring starsgem made me. After a lengthy discussion I thanked her for her help and we both concluded we had no idea how tianyu and starsgem were saying that weight. I told her I just couldn’t spend $1,100. She said she was sorry and then a few minutes later she said “wait!” And told me she could get a discount from the factory and then quoted me $770 for the ring lol. Which is right around what I told her tianyu quoted me
Weird. I guess ultimately, who do you feel comfortable dealing with? I think all their prices are pretty comparable at this point, I don’t think you will lose out significantly if you pick one over the other.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Weird. I guess ultimately, who do you feel comfortable dealing with? I think all their prices are pretty comparable at this point, I don’t think you will lose out significantly if you pick one over the other.
Mona was so nice last night I went ahead and paid and ironed out final details so she can get started on the CAD. She seems to genuinely care more than the other reps from different companies I spoke to and after the little fiasco with starsgem im more comfortable working with her.

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Mona was so nice last night I went ahead and paid and ironed out final details so she can get started on the CAD. She seems to genuinely care more than the other reps from different companies I spoke to and after the little fiasco with starsgem im more comfortable working with her.

I am glad you decided to go with Mona :clap::clap:. She is a great person to work with. I hope more people know about her business.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Did Mona charge anyone more money after changing something on the CAD? I wanted to bump
The band thickness from 1.8mm to 2.0mm and she is telling me I have to pay more for the gold. I didn’t have that experience with Starsgem

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Bumping up thickness probably make the ring heavier. Hence, need more metal. I dont have exp. with it since my CAD thickness is reasonable. Maybe others can answer it.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I asked Mona to send me videos of the OMC. I'm thinking about getting a ring using this shape since I have bunch of rounds already. I thought about the elongated cushion but decided against it as I don't know a good size for my finger plus my experience with Zheng Yong made me not want one anymore. At least Mona knows what the DEW and millimeter equivalent was right off the bat :roll:

IMG_20190411_093149.jpg

(note: these are screenshots of the videos since I'm not computer savvy and don't know how to upload vids here)

I only hesitate because I know she can't source GH color unless the stone is large enough or if enough people order. Right now I just want a 6.0mm, which I know is pretty small (at least for the majority of PS). Now I just need to figure out a design that looks nice and not look like an engagement ring...

Last edited:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Bah every time I see that pic I die inside. I wanted ecwcrly that in champagne but she can't source it :( :cry2:
I know, isn't it gorgeous? I wish she offered fancy colors and more color grades. I kinda get the feeling that the costs for sourcing those isn't worth it since she is a small business, so she has to pick where the money is, which is (usually) colorless. :(

pierrotlunette

Shiny_Rock
Just an FYI: I asked Mona about the GH in 4 mm H&A, and she said "GH in that cut is okay," meaning that she seems to have access to GH material for certain cuts. Not sure what to make of that, but thought it might be of interest.

Her quote came in $65 USD higher than Starsgem (Five 4 mm H&A GH stones, U-prong setting, white gold), although that may be closer to $85 once shipping is factored in. Neither could give me an estimate about the band's thickness, though, which is a little frustrating. If I knew for certain that Mona's band would be more substantial, I'd pay the higher cost.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
She also sent me this photo of the elongated cushion, which I know @tpl001 has but I thought I'd share for reference =)2

IMG-20190411-WA0000.jpg
Ayyy I made that for her. The right is her elongated cushion with a longer, thin culet and the left is an August vintage cushion with a medium sized, thin culet. I told her i’d Like mine cut like the AV

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Just an FYI: I asked Mona about the GH in 4 mm H&A, and she said "GH in that cut is okay," meaning that she seems to have access to GH material for certain cuts. Not sure what to make of that, but thought it might be of interest.

Her quote came in $65 USD higher than Starsgem (Five 4 mm H&A GH stones, U-prong setting, white gold), although that may be closer to $85 once shipping is factored in. Neither could give me an estimate about the band's thickness, though, which is a little frustrating. If I knew for certain that Mona's band would be more substantial, I'd pay the higher cost.
I think Mona is doing heavier rings. Tianyu told me they would use about 5-5.4g for my ring and I just received a CAD from Mona and she is using 6.2g. I had a ring with a halo made by starsgem that was 5.2g so it’s surprising that a ring being made without a halo is coming in at 1g more.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Ayyy I made that for her. The right is her elongated cushion with a longer, thin culet and the left is an August vintage cushion with a medium sized, thin culet. I told her i’d Like mine cut like the AV
I was wondering where that came from! :lol::love:

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
78177B73-53FE-4400-9C24-5B4CB11B6023.jpeg
This is the CAD Mona sent me. I’m not completely sure I like the cathedral sides yet. What do you guys think?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @michellelynn9175 , I prefer cathedrals when using larger stones. I see a lot of CADs using pears and ovals without cathedrals, and it makes me wonder how long those stones will stay in place over time. :???:

It looks like a substantial ring, otherwise, although I'm really in no place to judge CADs.

tpl001

Rough_Rock
78177B73-53FE-4400-9C24-5B4CB11B6023.jpeg
This is the CAD Mona sent me. I’m not completely sure I like the cathedral sides yet. What do you guys think?

The cathedral looks very good. I dont have much exp. with CAD. But based on my ring CAD with 1.7mm thickness and 1.9mm width, my ring feels comfortable and sturdy (ring size 6). From that I think your CAD with 2.2mm thickness and 2.6mm width is solid for ring size 12. Also, you can ask @swaye2010 over SG thread for better suggestion.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
:rolleyes:
The cathedral looks very good. I dont have much exp. with CAD. But based on my ring CAD with 1.7mm thickness and 1.9mm width, my ring feels comfortable and sturdy (ring size 6). From that I think your CAD with 2.2mm thickness and 2.6mm width is solid for ring size 12. Also, you can ask @swaye2010 over SG thread for better suggestion.
They’ll be polished down to 2mm and 2.4mm. I have bigger fingers so I prefer my rings a little thicker (1.9-2.2) and I think this will give it a solid weight. I think the cathedral will look great

tpl001

Rough_Rock
:rolleyes:
They’ll be polished down to 2mm and 2.4mm. I have bigger fingers so I prefer my rings a little thicker (1.9-2.2) and I think this will give it a solid weight. I think the cathedral will look great
My ring after polished is about 0.1mm lost, so I think your ring will be on the thicker side as you like =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results