shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I am new here, but have been reading for awhile. I had a question to the people who’ve used Starsgem before. I will be ordering my wedding band from them and they have asked that the payment be paid in full. Is that now it normally goes? Wasn’t sure if you pay a deposit up front then the rest once the band has been made? Help!
Welcome to the thread - Yes, all the Chinese companies we have been ordering moissanites through require payment upfront. I am sure they are sending you an invoice via paypal and that will give you buyer protection in the event that anything goes wrong. For added protection, you can even do the transaction through ebay so that you are automatically credited if the item is not received/damaged. We haven’t had any problems so far in the last 18 months but it depends on the price and your comfort level with the transaction.

cas92791

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the thread - Yes, all the Chinese companies we have been ordering moissanites through require payment upfront. I am sure they are sending you an invoice via paypal and that will give you buyer protection in the event that anything goes wrong. For added protection, you can even do the transaction through ebay so that you are automatically credited if the item is not received/damaged. We haven’t had any problems so far in the last 18 months but it depends on the price and your comfort level with the transaction.

Thank you for the clarification, that makes me feel much better. I’ve been emailing Demi and she had sent me an excel invoice and email that I should use to pay via PayPal. Perhaps I should ask about payment through eBay as you suggested. The ring isn’t super pricey ($283.50 which includes shipping) but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thank you again!

Iulia_m

Rough_Rock
Does the cut on this stone look off to you? A007AA42-09DC-42E8-940E-C2BFF6618B4F.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the clarification, that makes me feel much better. I’ve been emailing Demi and she had sent me an excel invoice and email that I should use to pay via PayPal. Perhaps I should ask about payment through eBay as you suggested. The ring isn’t super pricey ($283.50 which includes shipping) but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thank you again!
paypal is very safe. you can get your $ back if there are any issues. I'd just pay that way.

tpl001

Rough_Rock
The CAD looks a bit different then the style of SG so I assume you are working directly with Mona then? I think the measurements look ok but the best thing to do is to send her a picture of exactly what you are looking for with a peg head that has a softened ‘U’ shape rather than the hard ‘V’ shape. Sometimes it is easier to explain it with pictures to get what you want. The rest looks good though....
Thank for your advice @swaye2010. Yes, I am working directly with Mona. Yes I will talk to her with more pictures.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I did my first few orders through eBay but I was the first to buy a ring so I had no idea what to expect. You will pay the combined fees on top of the price which I think is 12%. Not sure it is necessary since you do get buyer protection with PP already but it is what you feel comfortable doing.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ordered h&a cut stone from stargem before? Any feedback would be great!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ordered h&a cut stone from stargem before? Any feedback would be great!
There is a picture of the H&A cut a few pages back and here is a link from Wedding Bee that has a long thread about it if you want to look through for more examples. We usually advise people to ask for strong arrows in the cut. The culet seems to be slightly larger than Tianyu’s but their cut has gotten pretty good now since they have made some changes. Here is another thread to look through for more examples:

https://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/starsgem-cads-and-final-products/page/15

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Stargem told me that I have to pay an Ebay 14% fee on top of the purchase price indicated on Ebay. This doesn't sound right. Anyone has the same experience? They are trying to get me to buy via PayPal and pay the 4% fee.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Stargem told me that I have to pay an Ebay 14% fee on top of the purchase price indicated on Ebay. This doesn't sound right. Anyone has the same experience? They are trying to get me to buy via PayPal and pay the 4% fee.
I think if you buy it directly through ebay as a ‘buy it now’ it would already have those fees included. If you are asking for an item to be added to ebay for you, they should have just given you an inclusive price rather than breaking it out separately.

If you are buying it outside of ebay, then they will add the paypal fee and shipping costs on top of the quoted price and will send you a PP invoice with the total. Hope that makes sense. I have done it all 3 ways....

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Just paid my deposit towards my ring! Decided to go with stargems because tianyu quoted me $675 (not including PayPal fees and shipping) and Starsgem quoted me $600 for everything! Sooo excited as this will be my e-ring.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I almost forgot! I’m getting a 9x7mm elongated cushion cut, I chose G color and I hope it isn’t too yellow. It’s going to be set in white gold. Should I have chosen EF? :eek-2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I almost forgot! I’m getting a 9x7mm elongated cushion cut, I chose G color and I hope it isn’t too yellow. It’s going to be set in white gold. Should I have chosen EF? :eek-2:
Did you go for the antique cut? The G/H is still pretty white and since you are putting it in white gold it won’t pick up any of the warmer colors.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Did you go for the antique cut? The G/H is still pretty white and since you are putting it in white gold it won’t pick up any of the warmer colors.
It’s going to be a regular cushion cut. I’m getting it set in a cathedral with a halo setting and specifically requested for all side stones to be G in order to match.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I should probably start a new thread for Mona since I'm working with her directly and she is no longer with Starsgem. I'll do so when I receive my order.

Unfortunately my custom H&A cut has been delayed as there has been a mix up with the orders. :( However, my OEC has been finished and I think it looks nice! I took screenshots of the video and included a photo of it under a loupe.

Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-01-53.png Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-01-59.png Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-02-27.png

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered the OEC in GH color, in case anyone is wondering about the color. The H&A is in DEF and will be used as either a project stone for myself or a gift. Haven’t decided yet. If it's beautiful enough I'll be gifting it to my mom and put it in a necklace.

I do think Mona is a nice person and very easy to work with, but it is obvious her business is going through some growing pains. But I think I prefer her attention and care over Tianyu and Diamondrensu (India).

Last edited:

tpl001

Rough_Rock
I should probably start a new thread for Mona since I'm working with her directly and she is no longer with Starsgem. I'll do so when I receive my order.

Unfortunately my custom H&A cut has been delayed as there has been a mix up with the orders. :( However, my OEC has been finished and I think it looks nice! I took screenshots of the video and included a photo of it under a loupe.

Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-01-53.png Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-01-59.png Screenshot_2019-02-27-03-02-27.png
The stone looks pretty.

tpl001

Rough_Rock
I ordered the OEC in GH color, in case anyone is wondering about the color. The H&A is in DEF and will be used as either a project stone for myself or a gift. Haven’t decided yet. If it's beautiful enough I'll be gifting it to my mom and put it in a necklace.

I do think Mona is a nice person and very easy to work with, but it is obvious her business is going through some growing pains. But I think I prefer her attention and care over Tianyu and Diamondrensu (India).

Mona just update me about my center stone. She pick out a great one for me. I agree with you, Mona is awesome to work with. Here is my 7x9mm stone:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuYXijjH-Of/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Mona just update me about my center stone. She pick out a great one for me. I agree with you, Mona is awesome to work with. Here is my 7x9mm stone:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuYXijjH-Of/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Your stone looks really nice! :kiss2: I love it! Hopefully your ring gets finished soon enough. :) You'll need to share when you receive it.

I wasn't sure about going with her, but I figured I try since people liked her when she worked at Starsgem. Like I said, she is going through some growing pains but I do like the personalized attention she provides.

I hope my H&A cut looks as nice as my Tianyu one, if not close to it. She says it will be an extra 3 days, unfortunately. :( If it turns out well it'll be another option for other PSers who are looking for affordable H&A cuts overseas.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Which has more fire...? H&A or Round brilliant from Starsgem?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Which has more fire...? H&A or Round brilliant from Starsgem?

I ordered a RB from them and was totally underwhelmed. It looked like plastic. Sent it back and plan on getting H&A when I place another order.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
@michellelynn9175 Good to know. I am about to order H&A but went to a random jewelry store and was told that RB has more fire. The stone looked really good but it's a lot more than Starsgem.

I am actually going to start another thread to hopefully get more attention before I order. More input is always good.

Last edited:

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
Would starsgem do a good job with colorless brilliant cushion cut 8x10? And is that too big for a solitaire on a thicker band ring for a size 5.5 finger?

Im torn between the ratio of 7x10 vs 8x10 and also torn between what is too large or what would be the largest but seem ok.

Here is what I'd want the 8x10 shape to be but her band will be much bigger. And of course 7x10 slightly more elongated also looks good.

When ordering a cushion cut do I need to request anything special to get the best look (fire, shine etc)

https://samnsue.com/engagement/morg...litaire-engagement-ring-rose-gold-s121872rgmo

Last edited:

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
I went with a 7x9.5 radiant. Hope it is as good as most people's :)

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I went with a 7x9.5 radiant. Hope it is as good as most people's :)
I wear a size 12 (huge fingers) and I went with a 9x7 cushion cut. I’m debating about getting an 8x10 but I’m waiting for the cad to come through to make a decision, I’m going to also have a halo which will add a couple mm’s each side. Also I’d like to mention that radiant cut and cushion cut are two different cuts/shapes so make sure to specify.

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
I wear a size 12 (huge fingers) and I went with a 9x7 cushion cut. I’m debating about getting an 8x10 but I’m waiting for the cad to come through to make a decision, I’m going to also have a halo which will add a couple mm’s each side. Also I’d like to mention that radiant cut and cushion cut are two different cuts/shapes so make sure to specify.

Yeah I was going to do 7x9 radiant for a size 5.5 but I loved the 8x11 radiant on their Instagram. So 7x9.5 is what I chose. I made sure to specify radiant. Hope it comes out okay.

I would have done 8x10 cushion if I chose cushion. The 8x10s on their Instagram look nice. Some people here even did 9x11 which looked great but that would be too big for her.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
Has anyone worked with starsgem after mona left? Is it me or it seems like it takes forever to get a price quote? :x2

Last edited:

jso72

Rough_Rock
Stargems took the longest to give me a price quote (I got quotes from Tianyu & Provence) I emailed then went on wechat & spoke to demi. I didn't receive quote through email, didn't get it until we were connected on wechat. But communication has been fine since then. Started my order on 2/13 & DHL says it should be here Mon 3/4.

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
I've been working with Lucy on WhatsApp the entire time. I already got quotes from Mona, Provence and Tianyu right away. I don't get it.

jso72

Rough_Rock
Idk they definitely took the longest to give me numbers. Maybe the language barrier? Spell it out as simple as possible, see if that helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results