shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission impossible: 1.5ct cushion halo for 5K - Please help me find a ring for my SIL!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know.. I guess I feel responsible this time. I obviously love diamonds and have changed 5 in the past 3 years :oops2: She sees my rings and always loves them.. I will have a brand new and relatively large 3 stone soon and I want her to be "the closest" possible to me and not feel like she has a small estate ring that has no upgrade policies. Her first engagement ring was a nice sapphire halo design, but the sapphire is rather dark and I don't think it ever made her happy.. she bought a couple mossy rings over the years all close to 7-8mm and the girl just wants a diamond. I have bough without report and it has always been a gamble, but it has worked out for me on the resell side. I just don't feel comfortable recommending that local ring because my feeling is that she will. It be happy with it forever. Makes sense? And again - thank you ladies!

I understand... I helped my sister upgrade a couple of years ago, and I was very careful with the recommendations. Your sister is very lucky to have you helping her along this journey.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I've been MIA (dealing with renovation nightmares!!!! :whistle:)!!!!

I think the ring at the local jeweler is really pretty but I personally wouldn't risk it. Been there done that had a local jeweler before PS and now all I can't unsee certain things and just wish I had found PS earlier!!!

IDJ can also custom make a ring with CAD so if Yekutiel can source a nice cushion, it could be a one stop shop and their turnaround is usually pretty quick.

I still feel the 1.4 K is the best stone but I understand her preferring the elongated shape. You could ask ED if they could provide an ASET for this stone: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C121-081365163?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi, is your sister 100% against saving more money to make it easier for her to find a stone and setting that checks the boxes??
Her husband is on board now and they recently went through some changes..I think that this ring represents a "new beginning" of sorts and she is excited about that which is the reason she wants it sooner than later.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I've been MIA (dealing with renovation nightmares!!!! :whistle:)!!!!

I think the ring at the local jeweler is really pretty but I personally wouldn't risk it. Been there done that had a local jeweler before PS and now all I can't unsee certain things and just wish I had found PS earlier!!!

IDJ can also custom make a ring with CAD so if Yekutiel can source a nice cushion, it could be a one stop shop and their turnaround is usually pretty quick.

I still feel the 1.4 K is the best stone but I understand her preferring the elongated shape. You could ask ED if they could provide an ASET for this stone: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C121-081365163?

Oy, renovations are always a lot of fun - good luck!

Thank you again for the recommendations! I requested an ASET for that latest stone, I will post once I get a reply!

I have helped maybe 3-4 friends buy from IDJ and they have always been great to work with! I did notice that some of their custom quotes vary, so I will need to speak with them regarding this inspiration ring and see what we would be looking at in terms of total cost.

Btw what is their upgrade policy? I am not 100% sure on that.

I am also with you on the 1.4K, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her husband is on board now and they recently went through some changes..I think that this ring represents a "new beginning" of sorts and she is excited about that which is the reason she wants it sooner than later.

...but would she be willing to wait a bit longer??

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand... I helped my sister upgrade a couple of years ago, and I was very careful with the recommendations. Your sister is very lucky to have you helping her along this journey.

That is also very sweet of you! So yes, you definitely understand where I am coming from..I sent her a list of Qs for the local jeweler, so lets see how that goes, but my preference still is to select a carefully evaluated stone and a setting separately.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bezel halo and hear the color concerns. What about a compromise? What if just the bezel is rose (ideally peach) gold and the rest white metal. That would reduce the color contrast for the diamond and yet allow a budget friendly J/K.

14-EVR122200-Round-Diamond-Bezel-Set-Halo-Two-Tone-Gold-Engagement-Ring.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...but would she be willing to wait a bit longer??

No :) maybe a week or two, but I doubt longer. I also don't really want to miss on the two we have found now, because well cut cushions are a struggle. If it was a round, I would not be concerned at all.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander thanks for the suggestion! She is pretty set on an all white metal setting. Most of her jewelry is white and that is what she likes.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy, renovations are always a lot of fun - good luck!

Thank you again for the recommendations! I requested an ASET for that latest stone, I will post once I get a reply!

I have helped maybe 3-4 friends buy from IDJ and they have always been great to work with! I did notice that some of their custom quotes vary, so I will need to speak with them regarding this inspiration ring and see what we would be looking at in terms of total cost.

Btw what is their upgrade policy? I am not 100% sure on that.

I am also with you on the 1.4K, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants..
Thanks!!

I found another gorgeous stone that ticks many of her boxes! https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3498246

Their upgrade policy varies, really, it might depend on the stone but clarify with them and get it in writing!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really pretty too! I will send it to her. Between this and the 1.33, what do we think? This one appears whiter to me..but it could be just the video.

Hmmm... the K is still the clear winner IMO. :) There's something about the J's faceting that looks "off" to me -- but I'm not great at cushions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0566.PNG

Yes sorry. Doesn't this mean Tiffany was calling it a d?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... the K is still the clear winner IMO. :) There's something about the J's faceting that looks "off" to me -- but I'm not great at cushions.

I'm not supre putting a K in a halo is ever a super clear winner. But that's up to the wearer as to her tolerance.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not supre putting a K in a halo is ever a super clear winner. But that's up to the wearer as to her tolerance.

I just meant the faceting looked the nicest to me. :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0566.PNG

I thought this meant D = diamond is ____ carat weight

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0566.PNG

Good catch! I guess they called it a D :confused: could it be a different diamond?

She liked this ring, may put an offer on it. So we hunk it is worth it? There is only one ring that I like from Tiffany and that is their shared prong band..so I am kinda clueless on Tiffany "value" without all the original paperwork I guess.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really pretty too! I will send it to her. Between this and the 1.33, what do we think? This one appears whiter to me..but it could be just the video.

It's tough bc I really don't love the ASET on the 1.33 but it'll be very hard to compete with the spread of that stone!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's tough bc I really don't love the ASET on the 1.33 but it'll be very hard to compete with the spread of that stone!!!
That is exactly how I feel about that stone! The 1.4 K is still my favorite!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this meant D = diamond is ____ carat weight
Could very well be that I don't understand how Tiffany works exactly let me look st the other one.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok we have an update on the local ring;
1. 30 day return policy during which she can take it to an independent appraiser
2 lowest they would go is 4.8k

Here are a few more pics:
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG

The center stone appears white to me, but I am pretty certain that is about market value and no real savings here. She loves it however (for now) Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7274.JPG
    IMG_7274.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 20

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok we have an update on the local ring;
1. 30 day return policy during which she can take it to an independent appraiser
2 lowest they would go is 4.8k

Here are a few more pics:
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG

The center stone appears white to me, but I am pretty certain that is about market value and no real savings here. She loves it however (for now) Thoughts?

The center stone actually looks nice but obviously hard to really tell. If everything is perfect to her on that ring and she really loves it, then I get it. But there's no saving there and we don't truly know the quality. She could get a 1ct cushion online in the 2k range and the rest would be the setting...and at least we have control over picking a beautifully cut center and choosing the perfect quality setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could very well be that I don't understand how Tiffany works exactly let me look st the other one.

Still looking. But a platinum halo with a g colored diamond that size would be a good price at 5k, even if for some reason it wasn't real Tiffany. Though I don't think it's a fake.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still looking. But a platinum halo with a g colored diamond that size would be a good price at 5k, even if for some reason it wasn't real Tiffany. Though I don't think it's a fake.

Thanks Niel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results