shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission impossible: 1.5ct cushion halo for 5K - Please help me find a ring for my SIL!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I'm a cushion expert, but there's something special about the E/SI2. The E/SI2 may be deep and thus smaller to the eye, but halo-ing it will make it look bigger and the melee will match nicely.

Thank you for the feedback! I showed it to my SIL, she wasn't crazy about it, but I do like the color still very much. JA unfortunately cannot provide an ASET on it before purchase :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is very eager to order it asap..I called Yekutiel, they are out of office on a holiday until Sunday. I will ping them then.

I think she also likes the halo setting from JA and their return policy, so she is leaning toward JA at this point.

Any preference on the above stones? I think that it will be hard to find a higher color, well-cut, appx. 1.5 ct diamond..:confused2:

I don't really have any suggestions, but is she aware of (and okay with) of JA's upgrade policy?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really have any suggestions, but is she aware of (and okay with) of JA's upgrade policy?

Double the cost? Yes, I think so..from all the fancy shape vendors, I am not sure that there are others that are much better..thoughts? Also, ED has some of the same diamonds listed for more..so i figured that was a plus for JA..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi, do you know which halo your sister is looking at? If it doesn't show the sides or set the stone up very high, the K would be tempting... the faceting is lovely, and it appears to be decently white facing. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double the cost? Yes, I think so..from all the fancy shape vendors, I am not sure that others are much better..thoughts? Also, ED has some of the same diamonds listed for more..so i figured that was a plus for JA..

Gotcha!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi, do you know which halo your sister is looking at? If it doesn't show the sides or set the stone up very high, the K would be tempting... the faceting is lovely, and it appears to be decently white facing. :)

So this is a ring that she liked in a local shop:
IMG_7270.JPG
The closest in my view at JA is this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53049
If you look at the sample with the cushion stone, I actually really like the design..she needs something that won't catch on things (2 young kiddos) and I feel that because there is slight separation between the center and the meleè that may actually be good for the color contrast?

She is also looking at some of the more traditional halos like this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

I think that I prefer the first one. What do you think?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is a ring that she liked in a local shop:
IMG_7270.JPG
The closest in my view at JA is this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53049
If you look at the sample with the cushion stone, I actually really like the design..she needs something that won't catch on things (2 young kiddos) and I feel that because there is slight separation between the center and the meleè that may actually be good for the color contrast?

She is also looking at some of the more traditional halos like this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

I think that I prefer the first one. What do you think?

I definitely like the first JA setting better... but I LOVE the one from the local shop. Also, the bezel adds interest and SIZE. What is her budget for the setting?? Would she consider another vendor?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wonder if DK could make a similar setting for her in the $1700-1800 range. A bezel would REALLY show off an elongated stone...

ETA: she could actually go with a slightly smaller elongated cushion, and the bezel would more than make up for it...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely like the first JA setting better... but I LOVE the one from the local shop. Also, the bezel adds interest and SIZE. What is her budget for the setting?? Would she consider another vendor?

So the overall is around 5K, if the stone is 4K that doesn't leave much room.

The above local ring has an asking price of 6.5k, which is maybe negotiable down to 5k, the specs of the center are 1.02 F SI1, but without a grading report! She really liked it, but my initial reaction was a "no".

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.33 J VS2
IMG_7258.JPG
1.4 K SI1
IMG_7259.JPG

I know which one I like, but again - it is not for me!

Do you guys think that the performance difference will be significant between these two?
Yeah, no question the K has a better ASET but no, I don't think there will be much of a difference. They both should throw great light and contrast. The J has a very beautiful and even patterning, and where there's white in the ASET it almost helps define the stone a bit more in real life (imo).

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wonder if DK could make a similar setting for her in the $1700-1800 range. A bezel would REALLY show off an elongated stone...

ETA: she could actually go with a slightly smaller elongated cushion, and the bezel would more than make up for it...

I did consider that, I guess I can give him a call and see what would be a quote for that. That will add more work though and she really wants to order it and have it on her finger ASAP. I have had my own project in the works for like 7months:oops2: so I need no convinsing on the custom route, but I want to recommend what would serve her best.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did consider that, I guess I can give him a call and see what would be a quote for that. That will add more work though and she really wants to order it and have it on her finger ASAP. I have had my own project in the works for like 7months:oops2: so I need no convinsing on the custom route, but I want to recommend what would serve her best.
After waiting this long for a diamond, hopefully she can wait a slight bit more for the right setting. DK would probably be a great choice for something like this. And yes, the bezel would add oomph and protection from scratching too. If he milgrained it, it would blend very well.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After waiting this long for a diamond, hopefully she can wait a slight bit more for the right setting. DK would probably be a great choice for something like this. And yes, the bezel would add oomph and protection from scratching too. If he milgrained it, it would blend very well.

True, true.. I will reach out to him today for a quote! Trust me, I am with you on the waiting..I am personally not a die hard fan of bezels, unless really fine and well executed, so the initial ring did grab me..it was too metal-y for me..but again, not for me, I will not wear it lol

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DK is great, but he is very literal -- so you must know exactly what you want. Lots of photos from different angles helps. I've used him for 5 projects so far and have been very pleased with all of them. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the overall is around 5K, if the stone is 4K that doesn't leave much room.

The above local ring has an asking price of 6.5k, which is maybe negotiable down to 5k, the specs of the center are 1.02 F SI1, but without a grading report! She really liked it, but my initial reaction was a "no".

Why was your reaction a no? Was it a dead stone?

ETA: FWIW, I think the local ring looks lovely, and you KNOW she likes it. That may be the way to go for what she wants and in the timeframe she'd like.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the local ring again... I can easily see the faceting, and I think it looks very nice! See if they'll consider an offer.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK is great, but he is very literal -- so you must know exactly what you want. Lots of photos from different angles helps. I've used him for 5 projects so far and have been very pleased with all of them. :)

I have reached out to him multiple times and he has always been super responsive and very kind! I am in the process of sending him a vintage band that I have for repair, so another project could work out well! I have asked my SIL which setting she prefers..stay tuned.

Btw I think that the elongated will be the one she will pick!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have reached out to him multiple times and he has always been super responsive and very kind! I am in the process of sending him a vintage band that I have for repair, so another project could work out well! I have asked my SIL which setting she prefers..stay tuned.

Btw I think that the elongated will be the one she will pick!

My pick is the local ring. Done & done. ;-)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pick is the local ring. Done & done. ;-)

Really?? even without GIA, even smaller at 1.02? I am concerned about the no report..

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the local ring again... I can easily see the faceting, and I think it looks very nice! See if they'll consider an offer.

I saw faceting, too. She lives further from me, so I can't see it in person..but what if there is chip under the bezel for example? Ugh...this is hard!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really?? even without GIA, even smaller at 1.02? I am concerned about the no report..
I'm with you. No report, no way. And especially since it's smaller than she wants. Help her tame the "IMUSTHAVEITNOWWWWWWW!" feeling and hold out for what she wants most, not soonest. She'll thank you in the long run!

ETA: Now, if the store is willing to send it for grading that might be a game changer...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, so I know this may not be a popular opinion, but considering her wants and budget, I feel this ring would be great (even at $6K)

I just look at it like this...
Is she a "PS-type"?? (is a report more important to you or to her?)
Worst case scenario, the stone is H/I, SI2 (was it eye clean??)
She already liked it, right? (did she think it looked too small?)
It's hard to photograph diamonds, but from the one photo, the faceting looks very crisp and organized.
Would the jeweler be willing to let you have it independently appraised?

ETA: does the local jeweler offer an upgrade/buyback program??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you. No report, no way. And especially since it's smaller than she wants. Help her tame the "IMUSTHAVEITNOWWWWWWW!" feeling and hold out for what she wants most, not soonest. She'll thank you in the long run!

I agree, as this would be my personal thought, but she said her sister wants it like, 2 weeks ago. Not everyone is a PS-type, and her wants don't really match with the budget. ;-)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I know this may not be a popular opinion, but considering her wants and budget, I feel this ring would be great (even at $6K)

I just look at it like this...
Is she a "PS-type"?? (is a report more important to you or to her?)
Worst case scenario, the stone is H/I, SI2 (was it eye clean??)
She already liked it, right? (did she think it looked too small?)
It's hard to photograph diamonds, but from the one photo, the faceting looks very crisp and organized.
Would the jeweler be willing to let you have it independently appraised?

I pretty much sent her the same questions, she will stop by today.

Here are some more pics of the ring and literally all the info we have about it:

IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG
IMG_7254.JPG

The thing is.. I see that this is a nice ring, but it is just so risky for me to "okay" it.. Also, I hav a feeling that she will want to go larger eventually. Who would buy this ring on the secondary market and for how much? I will see if they have a rerun policy, but it is an estate show as far as I understand and I am petty doubtful.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, as this would be my personal thought, but she said her sister wants it like, 2 weeks ago. Not everyone is a PS-type, and her wants don't really match with the budget. ;-)
Yeah, I hear you. It's just hard watching people we care about making rash decisions about diamonds! We want them to at least have a fair deal, or get what they're told they're getting; that's why the no report concerns me :confused2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ETA: Now, if the store is willing to send it for grading that might be a game changer...

That is literally exactly what I said :D

If we can send it to GIA, then that is a whole other story.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw faceting, too. She lives further from me, so I can't see it in person..but what if there is chip under the bezel for example? Ugh...this is hard!

I totally get your concern... I really do. But a bezel would protect the girdle... are you more worried about it because she's going to upgrade one day??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I hear you. It's just hard watching people we care about making rash decisions about diamonds! We want them to at least have a fair deal, or get what they're told they're getting; that's why the no report concerns me :confused2:

OMG, I totally agree! My best guy friend did that very thing. I offered to go ring shopping with him MULTIPLE times, but he was hasty and spent WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much on a very small non-GIA D/VVS from Kay. [insert eye roll]

...and he had a very healthy budget. I was sad for her.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi, is your sister 100% against saving more money to make it easier for her to find a stone and setting that checks the boxes??

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get your concern... I really do. But a bezel would protect the girdle... are you more worried about it because she's going to upgrade one day??

I don't know.. I guess I feel responsible this time. I obviously love diamonds and have changed 5 in the past 3 years :oops2: She sees my rings and always loves them.. I will have a brand new and relatively large 3 stone soon and I want her to be "the closest" possible to me and not feel like she has a small estate ring that has no upgrade policies. Her first engagement ring was a nice sapphire halo design, but the sapphire is rather dark and I don't think it ever made her happy.. she bought a couple mossy rings over the years all close to 7-8mm and the girl just wants a diamond. I have bough without report and it has always been a gamble, but it has worked out for me on the resell side. I just don't feel comfortable recommending that local ring because my feeling is that she will. It be happy with it forever. Makes sense? And again - thank you ladies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results