shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission impossible: 1.5ct cushion halo for 5K - Please help me find a ring for my SIL!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center stone actually looks nice but obviously hard to really tell. If everything is perfect to her on that ring and she really loves it, then I get it. But there's no saving there and we don't truly know the quality. She could get a 1ct cushion online in the 2k range and the rest would be the setting...and at least we have control over picking a beautifully cut center and choosing the perfect quality setting.

Right.. that's how I feel about it too. I sent an email to DK for a quote with the pictures that she took. I will post once I get the ASET for the 1.2 H SI2

Edit: I think I found a pretty 1ct - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.02-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-3272595

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, updated asets from JA:

1.2 H SI2

IMG_7275.JPG

1.4 K SI1 - my fave
IMG_7276.JPG
1.33 J VS2

IMG_7277.JPG

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b thank you very much for the input!

I think she appreciates the efforts:) but yes - it is looking for a needle in a haystack! I have been sick and I can't sleep due to which so I think I browsed all of JAs inventory last night :loopy:

What do you guys think about the elongated 1.33 J VS2 that she likes? I am slightly worried about how it will show in a halo. I asked JA, they cannot use a lower colored melee.. :(

Looks very nice to me, though the ASET isn't a patch on that 1.4ct K! But she has to compromise somewhere. I mean - she wants size and ctw and color and eye clean and white metal andandand - all on a 5k budget. If the melee is not an exact match with the center stone, i think that's the very least of her worries.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice to me, though the ASET isn't a patch on that 1.4ct K! But she has to compromise somewhere. I mean - she wants size and ctw and color and eye clean and white metal andandand - all on a 5k budget. If the melee is not an exact match with the center stone, i think that's the very least of her worries.

Thanks again @mrs-b! Right, right I agree on all pretty much. I just got a pretty competitive quote from DK for a setting like the one she liked. She will need to make up her mind on what is more important. I know what I would pick :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could very well be that I don't understand how Tiffany works exactly let me look st the other one.
Plus the Gia report says the diamond is engraved T and Co

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus the Gia report says the diamond is engraved T and Co
She put an offer in but it was declined. The least they are willing to go is 7.5k so I don't think it will work out for her.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, updated asets from JA:

1.2 H SI2

IMG_7275.JPG

1.4 K SI1 - my fave
IMG_7276.JPG
1.33 J VS2

IMG_7277.JPG

That K!!!!!! :love::love: I hope she doesn't miss out on that one! It really is a great performer, it's slightly elongated, eye clean, won't be icy white but still plenty white especially in a bezel/halo....sigh....you could lead the horse to water!!

The 1.2 still has a lot of green but less leakage than the 1.33. It's so weird...the videos of both look so nice but the ASETs :confused::confused::confused:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again @mrs-b! Right, right I agree on all pretty much. I just got a pretty competitive quote from DK for a setting like the one she liked. She will need to make up her mind on what is more important. I know what I would pick :)

GAHHH... that elongated K in a halo would be sooo pretty! Maybe it's time for her to see a GIA K set in a halo? I'm thinking a K solitaire would bother her, but if you only see it face up... Hmmmm....

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi - Can you ask her to rank order of importance between:
Elongated shape
Performance
Color
Size

That would really help narrow down which to choose.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I know cushion cushion. But would she take an emerald in a halo? Not crushed ice, elongated, cheaper for higher carats....

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 @msop04 @ILikeShiny @Niel

Thank you all for the continuous feedback! I think I have almost convinced her on the K, it really looks like a stunning diamond with an almost impossible performance for a cushion!

She is still thinking though her options, but I am hoping for the 1.4 K! She is also thinking of going with a halo with a plain shank as that would be better for the overall budged and she can upgrade the setting down the road.

Fingers crossed!

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m going to try here and hope this helps her. I’m including a few pictures of my ring in different lighting. It’s a ~1.6 K in a platinum halo with f/g melee. I’d say it looks white 95% of the time (it definitely grabs color in a beige colored room or over beige granite - see last two pictures). I’m talking warm white, not ice white, since we are in the lower color grades but still white. Cut is key here. The asset for the 1.4 is lovely and I think the diamond will face up white for her in a halo and get her almost to the size she wants. And again I hope this might help her seeing a K in a halo.
_2605.jpeg 20161201_112915_resized_1.jpg _6266.jpeg _2571.jpeg _2756.jpeg

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to try here and hope this helps her. I’m including a few pictures of my ring in different lighting. It’s a ~1.6 K in a platinum halo with f/g melee. I’d say it looks white 95% of the time (it definitely grabs color in a beige colored room or over beige granite - see last two pictures). I’m talking warm white, not ice white, since we are in the lower color grades but still white. Cut is key here. The asset for the 1.4 is lovely and I think the diamond will face up white for her in a halo and get her almost to the size she wants. And again I hope this might help her seeing a K in a halo.
_2605.jpeg 20161201_112915_resized_1.jpg _6266.jpeg _2571.jpeg _2756.jpeg

Oh my! What a stunning ring you have! Thank you very much for these photos, I just sent them to my SIL, she loved your ring! This was awesome for her so see as she was a bit worries about the color, but I think that the diamond will look stunning in a halo based on what you just shared with us :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very exciting!! Can't wait to see what she chooses!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I understand. I hope she finds "the one" and with everyone's kind help I'm sure it won't be long now!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the video on my tablet, but what about this one? Looks more chunky. ASET very organized. Not better than the other K but might offer a choice to look at.

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...GIA-K-VS2-diamond-stock-13968-cert-2156635138

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually looked at that one myself because I love vintage cushions. I love that diamond. For my SIL, I think the bottom line is that she wants larger and it seems that the other K may provide the desired size.

So far the latest picks are:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.40-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-sku-3112090

With this setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53050

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
No matter which diamond she picks, her ring is going to be so lovely.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for the input! A decision has been made! :appl:

My SIL picked the great performing 1.4 K SI1 - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.40-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-sku-3112090

and a halo setting with a plain shank - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53050

I am super excited for her and will come back with pics once the ring arrives!

Thanks again for all the help!

Yayyyyy!!!! I'm SOOOO happy and excited for her!!!! That stone really is a knockout! :love::love::love: Can't wait until she gets it so we could see the final result!!!!

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yayyyyy!!!! I'm SOOOO happy and excited for her!!!! That stone really is a knockout! :love::love::love: Can't wait until she gets it so we could see the final result!!!!

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

Thank you sooo much for all the help!!! I am super pumped about that stone! I was playing with the video and there really isn't a "dead" angle/spot for that diamond! I also hope that the plain shank will actually showcase more the center stone and that there will be less of a meleè contrast.. will see! I also asked her to get claw prongs and she did! JA ETA is month end/beginning of Nov, so the ring is a few weeks away:) ahh! I really, really hope that she loves it, because I definitely do lol :love::love::love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome!! So happy she made a decision, and that she had the patience to wait for the JA diamond and setting. I think the lack of melee on the shank will definitely help the centerstone pop and she'll have great finger presence with the halo.

Can't wait to see photos!!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome!! So happy she made a decision, and that she had the patience to wait for the JA diamond and setting. I think the lack of melee on the shank will definitely help the centerstone pop and she'll have great finger presence with the halo.

Can't wait to see photos!!!!

Thank you very much for all of your help and feedback! I am also happy that she decided to go the JA route. I think given the budget that was a solid choice. I am glad that you think that the absence of meleè on shank will help the center pop, I am hoping for that and I am hoping that the center stone faces up white enough. Given the upgrade options, I hope that she can enjoy this one for a while and eventually move to a larger/whiter stone if that is what she wants:)

Thanks again! =)2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an amazing find, @SimoneDi... the 1.40ct is gorgeous!! :love::love::love: I'm certain your SIL will be absolutely thrilled when it arrives - can't wait to see lots of pics and hand shots.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing find, @SimoneDi... the 1.40ct is gorgeous!! :love::love::love: I'm certain your SIL will be absolutely thrilled when it arrives - can't wait to see lots of pics and hand shots.

Thank you very much! I would have not been able to do this one without all the help I received :) Will post many pictures as soon as it arrives :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! I'm so glad!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results