shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission impossible: 1.5ct cushion halo for 5K - Please help me find a ring for my SIL!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited! I love that JA halo and it will be great to see it done in a cushion shape. I can hardly wait!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so excited! I love that JA halo and it will be great to see it done in a cushion shape. I can hardly wait!
Thank you! I am really excited as well :) I am also curious to see the halo with a cushion shape, hopefully it will turn out great:)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last update - my SIL decided to set the stone in a temp solitaire for now just to see if she loves the stone and the color and may wait a bit to get the setting she really likes =)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she chose the 1.4 K! Just remind her, tho, that when it's set in a halo, any side color won't be visible, so she needs to view the stone directly from above to work out what level of color she will eventually see.

Well done, you! :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she chose the 1.4 K! Just remind her, tho, that when it's set in a halo, any side color won't be visible, so she needs to view the stone directly from above to work out what level of color she will eventually see.

Well done, you! :)

Thanks @mrs-b! I have been talking a lot about color over the past few days, I really hope that this one faces pretty white and that she is happy with it! I know I prefer it a 1000 times over the local ring, so let's see how this all plays out. :)

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited for your SIL!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 @mrs-b @msop04 @Niel
Ok ladies... I am ready to cry :cry2:

We ordered the K - amazing diamond at an ahh-maxing price. I still can't get over how well it is cut!
Fast forward a couple of days later - Apparently a K will be "too yellow". I found a few smaller possible Is, but they are all gone today, minus this one which I have on hold and I am waiting on an ASET:

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...t/1.20-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3532283

HOWEVER, she now tells me that she loves emerald cuts :loopy:

I know nothing about emerald cuts only that most of them are not well cut and have a ton of leakage, also that they show more color and need to be a higher clarity or very eye-clean for obvious reasons.. ugh..sad :(( I found this one that looks "nice" to me:https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...t/1.24-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-3460786

But it could be the worst, I wouldn't know...Help!

Last edited:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi , I have been lurking / reading this thread with interest (love a good mission impossible turn possible!)

Sorry to hear that the K didn't work out for her. You are right, emerald cuts does show color more than other cuts and clarity is an issue too. Plus it faces up small. (I love em but after comparing what my money can buy it's really not a "value for money" kinda cut for me)

If the K is too yellow for her, an I in an emerald cut might also be too much. I would suggest sticking to H or G (if the budget allows it) for an emerald if she is color sensitive.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi , I have been lurking / reading this thread with interest (love a good mission impossible turn possible!)

Sorry to hear that the K didn't work out for her. You are right, emerald cuts does show color more than other cuts and clarity is an issue too. Plus it faces up small. (I love em but after comparing what my money can buy it's really not a "value for money" kinda cut for me)

If the K is too yellow for her, an I in an emerald cut might also be too much. I would suggest sticking to H or G (if the budget allows it) for an emerald if she is color sensitive.

Hi! And thanks for chiming in.. the problem is that she almost doesn't want to give the K a try.. it is still in progress, but apparently India is on a holiday, so shipping is delayed and the more pictures she looks at daily, the more she thinks she needs to change the diamond..

Budget is somewhat limited and I just don't know how a G/H will be a possibility, unless we drop to 1ct. I look at this as a "starter" diamond where you compromise some things (never cut) and she desires for all checkboxes to be checked off :confused2: and I know you can't force color on someone, I just thought that that particular K was worth the shot.

I still want to help, I really do.. this is just getting more difficult for me because I am so not familiar with emeralds :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't throw out emerald cuts so easily. I had a feeling she might like them, as they are elongated, which is why I suggested them a bit back.
They don't show, in my opinion, any more color than modern cushions do. They require some slightly higher clarity but still can be found in vs ranges. They are cheaper. And I mean, cushions face up small too.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't throw out emerald cuts so easily. I had a feeling she might like them, as they are elongated, which is why I suggested them a bit back.
They don't show, in my opinion, any more color than modern cushions do. They require some slightly higher clarity but still can be found in vs ranges. They are cheaper. And I mean, cushions face up small too.
We talked about them then, she said no at first although she liked them in general. Now, it is still between the two shapes, which has me confused, but fine, I can look for options on both fronts..
I appreciate the info provided re color and face-up.. any thoughts on the one I linked? Any other suggestions? We are going up to 5K for the stone only now.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. What a change in events! I do hope she'll at least wait to see the K; bezeled, it really might not bother her at all.

If you're going the emerald route, I'd give IDJ a call. Budget, color, carat weight and let them do their magic!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. What a change in events! I do hope she'll at least wait to see the K; bezeled, it really might not bother her at all.

If you're going the emerald route, I'd give IDJ a call. Budget, color, carat weight and let them do their magic!

Thanks @ILikeShiny ! I called them last night but they were busy, so I will give them a call again today. However, my SIL will go and visit a jewelry shop today to try on some different shapes. I think hat she needs to finalize the shape selection first. I still love the K, it is a pretty amazing stone. She looks at some F/G stones and likes the whiteness of them.. I mean it's all good if the budget could stretch there..

P.S. Where is your ring? I am dying to see it!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ILikeShiny ! I called them last night but they were busy, so I will give them a call again today. However, my SIL will go and visit a jewelry shop today to try on some different shapes. I think hat she needs to finalize the shape selection first. I still love the K, it is a pretty amazing stone. She looks at some F/G stones and likes the whiteness of them.. I mean it's all good if the budget could stretch there..

P.S. Where is your ring? I am dying to see it!
Ah, I hope she's able to find a compromise in what she wants. I don't envy her. I'd have a hard time paring down anything on my "want" list, especially after waiting so long for a diamond!!

As for my ring, it's sitting on my pretty little finger (well, not little as it's a size 6.5!). We've been happily engaged for a while now and are in the throes of wedding planning. At this point I'm not ready to openly share it, for obvious reasons. It saddens me a bit because I know there are people, like yourself, who would really like to see it and I'm not holding out for any reason other than I just don't feel comfortable sharing it at this time.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I was heading to bed when I seen your newest post and since perusing diamonds is a sure way to have sweet dreams I just did a quick look. Lol! So to be clear, you and your SIL are looking for cushion AND emerald cut diamonds? In the D-I color range, and a budget of $5,000. Will you go with your SIL today on her visits to the jewelers? It sounds like it would be fun.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I poked around a bit on Blue Nile because it shows the diamonds l/w ratios and depth% and it helps pick the longer diamond. I found did not find any cushions, but I did find some emerald cuts on Blue Nile that your SIL might like. Just hold down the shift or control button when you click on the link.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09001448
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08834642
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08888410
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08989550
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08009986

How does your SIL feel about radiants?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08991272
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09478685

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PattyCo thank you very much for all the suggestions. I will have to go through all of them later when I have a moment.

My SIL is set to go diamond browsing today and I am hoping that she will find the shape that she really wants. We live in different states, so unfortunately I cannot go with her today :(

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Aww that's too bad you guys are so far apart. I am laid up today so this is a great distraction for me. I'll try not to be a pest, lol!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: SIL returned the 1.4 K SI1 amazingly cut JA cushion :(sad

She also bought the pre-loved local ring for $4.8k with the idea for me to "see it" this weekend.

I only have an IS and not an ASET. I am about to order one, but it won't get here until next week. Any tips on how to tell if a cushion performs ok in real life without an ASET? I am biased and I know that I already don't like that ring/diamond as much. It would be the same $$ if she purchased a 1ct well cut, colorless cushion and got a nice custom setting, ugh :cry:

Supposedly, the diamond came with GIA, but the original owner displaced the report. It is currently bezel set and I am not sure if the diamond is taken out if the setting will be salvageable.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Maybe I should just drop it, say that it is a great ring/diamond and let it be :confused2:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: SIL returned the 1.4 K SI1 amazingly cut JA cushion :(sad

She also bought the pre-loved local ring for $4.8k with the idea for me to "see it" this weekend.

I only have an IS and not an ASET. I am about to order one, but it won't get here until next week. Any tips on how to tell if a cushion performs ok in real life without an ASET? I am biased and I know that I already don't like that ring/diamond as much. It would be the same $$ if she purchased a 1ct well cut, colorless cushion and got a nice custom setting, ugh :cry:

Supposedly, the diamond came with GIA, but the original owner displaced the report. It is currently bezel set and I am not sure if the diamond is taken out if the setting will be salvageable.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Maybe I should just drop it, say that it is a great ring/diamond and let it be :confused2:

But only after you take pictures first!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kudos to you for trying to help. Helping family & friends is very stressful because they rely on your knowledge & expertise. Buying a preloved bezeled ring is always a risk because you don't know if the stone is chipped on the edges or if there is any integrity issues with the stone. The GIA engraving is hidden & no way to verify the stone is the stone, can't measure it either. Bezel settings can be redone but the bezel is cut right off to take the stone out. It just costs more to replace the bezel. I don't recall reading in the thread but is there a chance your sister in law would go for a round stone in a cushion halo or cushion shaped solitaire? Single Stone's Colette is gorgeous if that's an idea. Mind you, Single Stone has a ton of gorgeous styles. It's hard to pick one. :sun: That style seems to have a defined cushion silhouette though (or cause it's my favourite..LOL). If she loves a cushion, then a cushion it should be but maybe she might have to up her budget a bit. That K cushion from JA looked very nice.

Like Nala said, pics 1st. LOL

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ccuheartnurse thank you for your input! I have given my SIL pretty much the exact same feedback! "There may be chip, I (as the seller) can call it whatever color I want, but without GIA (reputable lab) it's never certain, bezels are difficult to deal with in terms of taking a diamond out of the setting and placing it back, NO real savings"...she just won't listen. I have given her the proposal of round in a cushion halo.. I am not sure if she has really considered it, I think she prefers the cushion shape. The thing is - she asks for my advice, but then really goes and does her own thing lol..I love single stone, but they will be out of price range, however DK, CvB can potentially be within the price range.

I guess my question right now is if there is a good way to judge how well that particular pre-loved cushion performs without an ASET? I had one great cushion, but I am a cut snob, so I went for AGS000 and never worried about performance.. not the case here. I will take a peak though my IS, but IS doesn't work well for fancy shapes :(

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're definitely in a tough position. Are you close to your brother? Can you ask him wtf is up with his wife? :lol-2: I occasionally have to resort to this in real life myself. :lol-2: My brother & are are still very close. Gad, I'm laughing so hard. This isn't a laughing matter to you though but I hope this gave you a chuckle.

You said all the right things to make her think twice about the purchase. Last year I almost bought a preloved stone that was in a bezel. The stone came with an AGS cert but no way to verify cause it was in the bezel. Also, the seller made no mention of any issues with the stone until I specifically asked her to verify (a couple of times) that there was nothing wrong with the stone under the bezels. She finally said that the stone had a "small" chip on the edge before it was bezeled. My guess was that it was bezelled because the chip wasn't so small. I had no way of knowing as I could not see it with my own eyes. I backed away from considering it. I did advise her to remove the stone as she might have issues selling it. She removed the sale listing shortly after that. Made me uneasy to consider buying anything with a bezel again. I was lucky she told the truth or I would have purchased it & had a rude awakening when I had it removed to reset. But, you told her all of that & if she is still gung ho on buying this stone, what can you do?

I suppose you'll just have to use your eyes to judge how lively it is. Pay close attention to every angle you move the ring, watch if there are any dull / dead spots. Bring it under different types of lighting if you can. If you have any reservations, I wouldn't hold back. I'd be honest. You may actually like it. ** fingers crossed** I would suggest a cushion halo/ setting to her. I love SS but dang, their prices are crazy high (in my opinion). There are definitely other more reasonably priced alternatives for her. She may not be aware of what a cushion halo I'd point her to some websites. There's an app called Beaumade & SS has some styles on it as well as other designers too. It's a fun app.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results