carat
color
clarity

Metallic White Freshwater Pearls at Pearl Paradise

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1352729180|3303953 said:
Has anyone received their new strands? I would love to see them!

I haven't received mine yet, they're supposed to arrive Friday. I emailed PP about purchasing a strand for my sister but have yet to hear back... hopefully they haven't sold out!

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
Here's some shots of my pearls - they came in the mail yesterday! For reference, they are 7.5-8mm.

The luster is definitely beautiful, but I'm debating returning them because the shape is disappointing. I know they were advertised as round to near round, but they seem quite egg shaped to me... Maybe I just can't be pleased. :blackeye:

img_20121113_130431.jpg

img_20121113_130536.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could exchange them for a rounder strand if there is one in stock. I would call PP and have them check on it.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're disappointed, Rika! They look lovely, and the luster seems wonderful... I do *kind of* see what you mean by egg shaped. Perhaps you can call and find out if they have anything left in that size that is rounder? Or just give yourself more time to get used to them.

Look forward to hearing what those with more experience have to say.

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback pearlsngems and baby nurse! I wanted to provide an update. I contacted PP and they said not many of these strands are left but they should be getting another shipment next spring. :))

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad to hear they might have more next spring. I couldn't commit to the size and length I wanted right now, and I didn't want to buy a second-best strand. I wish I knew how I would know when the new shipment comes in? I have made three decent-sized purchases, but I am not one of their special clients so I cannot expect them to email me individually...

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Erinl If you call and ask to be on any list for a special item and you can expect to be notified when they are able to get what you want. That is just the kind of service that PP is known for. It does not matter to them if you are a large or small spender either. There are reasons that it might take time for what you are looking for because it just is not availiable in a certan harvest in the quality that is wanted.

syd

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! The lustre on those does look amazing!

Here's something interesting. I had asked this question to PP when enquiring about the metallic strands:

"The metallic strand doesn't look as well matched and uniform as the freshadama. Are the metallic strands round grade AAA pearls?"

My question was from looking at the second photo I posted earlier (the aliens one lol).

Here's the response from PP:

"The metallic strands would actually be considered the same grade of quality as our Freshadama pearls, so they are very round with very high luster - one step above our AAA quality."

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
syd|1352914557|3306409 said:
Here's something interesting. I had asked this question to PP when enquiring about the metallic strands:

"The metallic strand doesn't look as well matched and uniform as the freshadama. Are the metallic strands round grade AAA pearls?"

My question was from looking at the second photo I posted earlier (the aliens one lol).

Here's the response from PP:

"The metallic strands would actually be considered the same grade of quality as our Freshadama pearls, so they are very round with very high luster - one step above our AAA quality."

There is a difference between the grading of PP's metallic freshwater pearls that are naturally colored, which are 8-way rollers (truly round), and the new metallic white freshwaters, some of which are off-round.

See post 13 in the "Battle of the Pearls" thread on the other forum:

"...The strand of metallic whites were 8-8.5 mm and some of the pearls in the strand deviate more than 5% in shape, so we had to grade them AAA instead of freshadama."
http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6036&p=93465#post93465

That said, they are very lustrous-- can we see a neck shot, if you haven't sent them back yet, Rika?
Roundness isn't everything....

syd

Shiny_Rock
My question related to specifically the white metallic strands because I was interested in purchasing those...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I wonder whether your question was misunderstood?

The listing on PP says they are "round to near round" and AAA so I think it's safest to go by that, if thinking of ordering. There is probably some variation among the strands, too -- some rounder than others.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
rikalovespearls|1352830897|3305490 said:
I know they were advertised as round to near round, but they seem quite egg shaped to me... Maybe I just can't be pleased. :blackeye:

Mine just came today and are clearly not round either. I'm not sure that they are off-round enough to be noticeable on the neck. Fortunately I have some time to decide if they are keepers or not. It might be better to hold out for larger, anyway. My new tahitians, on the other hand....... :naughty:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Like everyone has said already they do look amazing, but I can see from the photo that they aren't round. Not sure how I would feel about that either if I had been hoping for rounds.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1352743110|3304363 said:
Here is the glamor shot from the strand I bought this past summer.
Now this one looks round.

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
It's a sad day when I'm subjecting the world to my neck... :lol:

I think you can tell from the neck shot that this necklace isn't very uniform. While I can appreciate pearls that aren't round (one of my favorite necklaces features silver blue baroque akoyas), I was hoping for these white metallic freshwaters to be my poor girl's hanadama strand so I'd rather hold out for one that is truly round. I hope that makes sense.

img_20121114_202828.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the neck shot!

Seeing it on you, I have to agree that quite a few of the pearls are visibly off-round. It looks lovely, anyway, but I totally understand your preference for a strand that is more nearly round.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pearl lovers ,
I ordered the white metallic 8-8.5 mm ,they came in today .I thought these would be my Handama look alike . I dont care about the shape ,I want luster . it is good but not the greatest .maybe I got a bad strand ? in fact the smaller white metallics 6.5 mm I ordered from them last year is shinier than these .
here is a pic ,top is the 8-8.5 mm white metallics ,middle is 6.5 white metallic ( both from PP ) last is freshwater from catherine cardellini .

dsc00508.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
rikalovespearls|1352945363|3306858 said:
It's a sad day when I'm subjecting the world to my neck... :lol:

I think you can tell from the neck shot that this necklace isn't very uniform. While I can appreciate pearls that aren't round (one of my favorite necklaces features silver blue baroque akoyas), I was hoping for these white metallic freshwaters to be my poor girl's hanadama strand so I'd rather hold out for one that is truly round. I hope that makes sense.

Actually, they look really nice on you. But I understand how you feel.

I had a similar experience with some lavender freshadamas. I returned two. The first pair I got were a beautiful petal pink lavender with no brown, but they were obviously off round, some were almost potato shaped ( and you know part of the description of freshadamas is that they are round). The second pair didn't work out. Luckily PP was very patient and helpful through it all. Finally the third time they somehow matched me with the right strand! It was lavender with silver overtones and it's slightly graduated. A very unique color. Jeremy said it looked like ball bearings.

ETA: I love baroques too. It all depends on what look your going for.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
jeweln|1352948073|3306902 said:
Hi pearl lovers ,
I ordered the white metallic 8-8.5 mm ,they came in today .I thought these would be my Handama look alike . I dont care about the shape ,I want luster . it is good but not the greatest .maybe I got a bad strand ? in fact the smaller white metallics 6.5 mm I ordered from them last year is shinier than these .
here is a pic ,top is the 8-8.5 mm white metallics ,middle is 6.5 white metallic ( both from PP ) last is freshwater from catherine cardellini .

They all look pretty in that photo. Perhaps last years batch was a touch better?

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
would love to see pics of your metallics and tahitians :naughty:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
While all the pearl paradise strands are pretty that I have seen on PS, it seems like in certain varieties that there are a small handful of strands that are the really gorgeous ones and then their are "second tier" ones. While my color shifting freshwaters from last year are pretty, they cannot hold a candle to some of the ones owned of PS'ers.

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's been very helpful. I think I'm going to return this strand. It might take me a few times like it did for your innerkitten, but I'll find what I'm looking for!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
GL! And of course keep us updated about the pearls you find :)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rikalovespearls|1352989865|3307167 said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's been very helpful. I think I'm going to return this strand. It might take me a few times like it did for your innerkitten, but I'll find what I'm looking for!

I'm sorry they didn't work out, rika. While they are beautiful, I can definitely see that they aren't uniform. I'm not sure I could live with that either.

My white metallics are supposed to arrive within the next couple of hours... I'll let you know how they turn out.

tuittumurmeli

Rough_Rock
Pictures of my new freshwater metallic strand from PP which I received a week ago as a 31st bday gift - from myself! :wavey:

(This site is the ruin of me, you are all such enablers, but what can a girl do when she loves pretty things so much and aren't pearls much better?!! than more diamonds! which one can't even wear in everyday life because of those disapproving coworkers.. :tongue: )

My strand is 16 inches, smallest diameter available (5.5 - 6.0 mm) and I'm happy with the size. I'm planning to match the strand to some small studs in the future. At the moment I have a cheap pair of 8 mm studs and I NEVER wear them because they feel too big for my ears. Last month I got to compare different sizes at an airport and I decided 5 mm studs would be best for me. So when I read the post about the sale, I immediately went to see if PP had small pearls. I know it is usually advised to go for larger ones, but I think these will be good for me at least for a few years. Ten years would be a fantastic life-span. Perhaps when I'm ready for bigger pearls there will be a daughter to whom I can gift these.. :))

Okay, to details! I agree with rikalovespearls that the pearls are not equally, super-symmetrically round. Some in my strand are a slight bit off-round, but like rika, it does not bother me either. I actually like it: its a discreet hint to the pearls' natural origin. And really I don't think anyone will look at them close enough to notice. But if you're shape sensitive, be warned :) Surprisingly, I learned that I myself am quite sensitive to color variation! There is indeed some of that in my strand. But again, I honestly don't feel bothered about that either. But also the lustre varies, and that does bother me a bit. The best shiners are so ultra-shiny that the less-so-ones do stand out. To a keen eye, at least.

Here's a close-up. I counted the place of one dull dud when I took the pics to see if the photograph would show what I saw in real life and certainly it does. The ninth pearl on the lower row is duller, and looks so especially when it sits next to such a beautiful mirror-like shiner :(

Anyhow, changing or returning the strand would be too much of a hassle because of customs, VAT, etc. so I will keep it. In the end, it is a very beautiful piece and I do believe it is a steal for the price. The last pic, in softer light!

pearlstrand2.jpg

pearlstrand.jpg

pearls_detail.jpg

pearlstrand3.jpg

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Tutti
I am glad you are happy with your strand and it looks lovely on you ! I on the other am returning my necklace .

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
They look nice on your neck. I think they actually look rounder than Rika's strand ( to me at least). Perhaps it's easier for PP to collect smaller rounds. I never would have noticed any color variation if you hadn't pointed that out.
Very pretty!

BTW. And speaking of more delicate sized pearl necklaces. My favorite movie pearls were worn by Eva Marie Saint in the Hitchcock film North By Northwest. Below is a link to a photo. Not a great photo but you can see them. It's made of smaller sized pearls and I think it looks great on her. She also wear some rubies in the same film but that's for another forum :)
http://coolspotters.com/movies/north-by-northwest/photos_videos/715240#medium-715240

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I've just gotten my strand of 8-8.5mm with matching earrings.

What can I say about them? Pros and cons.

They aren't all round. Some of them are seem like it until you turn the strand on its' side and realize they are oblong. There are more 'flaws' than my freshadama strand. I do believe PP chose an exceptional strand for me with my freshadamas (perhaps they are all exceptional?) as my freshadamas are darn near perfect.

The comparison between them is so interesting. My freshies are pink/silver and my metallics were classified as silver. The freshies are slightly creamy and pink next to the metallics which are both pink and bluish, but definitely cooler than the freshies. I'd take a pic, but my camera is so crappy you wouldn't pick up anything from it anyway.

My intention was to possibly sell the freshie strand after receiving the metallics, as I don't need two strands almost the same size. The freshies are virtually new and come with matching earrings...but now I'm not so sure. It is a bit of an apples and oranges kind of thing. They are very different from each other. The metallics are almost glassy - they remind me of some mirrored marbles my kids used to play with. The freshies have more of a soft glow and seem to complement skin tone better. The lustre (is that the mirror-like image you see on the pearl? I should know this by now!) is superior on the metallics overall, but the odd freshie approaches that of the metallics. Perhaps my strand is, forgive me, a middling strand of metallics? Or do I have superior strand of freshies? Or is the difference really not that big a deal? Or....?

I look better with cool tones, yet I find the the metallics almost too cool for my coloring. Maybe I just need to get used to them. Can someone remind me of the return policy again? I should dig out the paperwork...

I am glad I ordered them as I would have wondered and wondered. They are really beautiful pearls in their own right no doubt about that. The off shape of them doesn't concern me overmuch, as I'm a keshie fan anyway.

Sorry about the ramble here...but I am in a community of analyzers :lol:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received my metallic white freshwaters yesterday. I got an 18" strand of 7.5-8.0mm, and a 20" strand of 8.0-8.5mm. I was originally only interested in the 8.0-8.5mm strand but after asking Chenai a hundred questions about the luster on this strand, she mentioned that there was a 7.5-8mm strand with a nicer luster. So I purchased both so I could see them in person. They are both silvery white with pink overtones but the 7.5-8mm has more pink and definitely a sharper luster. She also mentioned that the smaller pearls were not as round as the 8.0-8.5mm, but when I'm wearing them, it's hardly noticeable. I've had these pearls now for 24 hours and I really love them. I like the larger size strand but the smaller one is prettier. That said, I will probably keep both and wear them together :)) . Please let me know what you think.

Pictures to follow...

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st batch...

dsc_0445.jpg

dsc_0444.jpg

dsc_0437.jpg

dsc_0433.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results