shape
carat
color
clarity

MellowYellow's odds and ends

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All About Jade is at Chinatown itself. I'd suggest going to that and Yokdee to compare available stock and quality. Remember, prices are negotiable in this sort of shops!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All About Jade is at Chinatown itself. I'd suggest going to that and Yokdee to compare available stock and quality. Remember, prices are negotiable in this sort of shops!

By how much you reckon?

I don't want to get ripped off but I NEVER know how much to negotiate! I've seen documentaries about china markets where you can bargain like 80% off! Obviously not in this case but how much should I aim for you think?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not to that extent in Singapore. Try 30 - 40% and work from there?

Haha didn't we post that haggle video link sometime back in one of the threads? For a pair of sports shoes in China? Fake to boot.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh and remember, if you pay cold, hard, cash, you can get like 3.5% off thereabouts, since that's the credit card charge imposed by the banks if you were to pay by card.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok guys so I found all the food shops you recommended. Introduced the kidlet to the pork jerky and have a fridge full of cakes from Chateraise. Grabbed the crispy choc cake and strawberry shortcake. Want to try the chestnut thingy another day!

Went to the jewellery street thing in Ion. Omg Lee Hwa so much more expensive than I remember!

Think I've found a pair of rose gold earrings that I like for 500sgd from one of those chains. Debating whether to buy another pair for $300 sgd that are nice n dangly.

Hehe saw a pair of white gold bow earrings as well that I like. I love the designs here.

My green blue Australian sapphire was admired heaps today!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Ok guys so I found all the food shops you recommended. Introduced the kidlet to the pork jerky and have a fridge full of cakes from Chateraise. Grabbed the crispy choc cake and strawberry shortcake. Want to try the chestnut thingy another day!

Went to the jewellery street thing in Ion. Omg Lee Hwa so much more expensive than I remember!

Think I've found a pair of rose gold earrings that I like for 500sgd from one of those chains. Debating whether to buy another pair for $300 sgd that are nice n dangly.

Hehe saw a pair of white gold bow earrings as well that I like. I love the designs here.

My green blue Australian sapphire was admired heaps today!

MYG, try the MaxiCash chain of pawn shops for pre-owned 916 gold and diamond stuff. You can sometimes get quite lucky. I like the one in Lucky Plaza.

MaxiCash is owned by the Aspial group which also owns Lee Hwa, Goldheart etc.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh thanks heaps @DiaDiva! I can walk there! I keep seeing all these malls I don't how which ones to stop into!!!!!

Highlight of my day was getting mangosteen for around $7 sgd a kilo! I pay $25aud a kilo in Aus!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hehe @icy_jade our Daiso sells stuff for $2.80 so we went and stocked up on a bunch of knives for $2 (we like cheap thin knives from Daiso specifically even in comparison to expensive knives).

Anyone know where to get good food near the Marina Bay gardens? Heading there tomorrow!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh hey, did you pop by Asiatique? Glad you are enjoying the cakes and bak kwa lol.

Gardens by the bay... you can try Bakerszin or Pollen... not particularly impressed by the food there. Satay club is alright... my daughter loves the city satay which is a Chinese style satay. The bbq wings are also ok but the rest of the stalls I’ve tried do not impress. You can also try the McD there... we have unique local McD products you can’t find in Australia (ask for curry sauce to go with your fries!).

Are you into pearls? :twisted2:

And I second going to All About Jade... Yok Dee is tiny and you need to make appt as I think they don’t open all the time. Also try Li Hong Jade, Carrie K and Choo Yilin. You can also visit Nandar’s place if you make appt.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Satay by the bay is good. If you want local food.

Also it is a bit of a walk from gardens by the bay but Lau pa sat is good too if you go once they have shut down the street (youd have to google for times, I always forget.). I think the singapore food festival starts at the end of this week too.

Edit -- if you want more upmarket food, that doesnt come from a hawker centre, then level 33. Hard to get a table though.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade The boys are going off to the science museum on Friday and ill be able to go off and shop by myself! Going to visit most things then!

Fortunately not into pearls! I think they are pretty but I have no idea and am not about to start!

Hehe I had oyster omelette in some random place and thought it was delicious :lol:

Guys I need a dinner place for tomorrow!!!! Close to Ion area. Maybe western food since we're eating local food at Marina tomorrow as per your recommendation. Japanese also ok too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Budget? If not Les Amis haha. :lol:

Jap you can try Tonkichi at Takashimaya or Isetan Scotts

If you go RWS I like Osia and Din Tai Fung is always fairly reliable.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Level 33 is quite impossible to get a table... unfortunately for western the ones I know are mainly fine dining and not kids friendly... (Osia I think is ok tho).

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, you have to reserve. And garuntee the number of people (by agreeing to a minimum spend). At least that has been the case the last few times I have gone. I havent gone in a year though as I lost my appetite late in my pregnancy.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm getting hungry following this thread!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm giving up on the western food! Exorbitant compared to Australia! Wanted to go to Spago but they ban little kids.

Leaving Satay by the Bay. Thank you so much for the recommendation. We loved the chicken wings and the clay pot chicken rice! I asked for no salted fish and the kid was pleased they included 2 pieces of salty yolk which we didn't expect. He loves salty yolk.

Satay was a bit sweet for our taste. Kinda sad we won't be in the area for anymore wings.

Hehe I will post earring pics when I buy them to keep this thread relevant :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am glad you liked it! I have a terrible sweet tooth. So I have to admit I just sit there shoveling satay sauce into my mouth using any substrate physically possible, lol.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I miss satay!! They can't do it Sg or Msia style in Yangon. Not even in the so called SG or Msia restaurants and by the flown in chefs.

Not fair!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I'm finally home. Sooooooo tired!!!! Walked all day!

You guys have the best water play grounds! We went to the Marina one twice in one day. Kid couldn't help himself.

Soooo tired I'm eating assorted kueh and bak kwa for dinner! Hubs had hainan chicken at Ion. Kid had bak kwa and a bread roll and fruit.

I'm drowning myself in sugar juice. Sooooo good here. Costs a fortune in Aus and they always try to mix in citrus! Haha here they charge more to add citrus which made me laugh.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just went and googled the kuih I ate.

Adore the kuih dardar. Wasn't sure about the kuih talam but ate it all anyway. Kuih Ambon was decent but felt very carby. Actually I feel kinda fat! So many carbs!

Going to try the kueh salat tomorrow. Didn't today cuz I already pigged out on sticky rice for breakfast.

The boys have agreed to try the famous chiffon cake tomorrow! They are fussy about chiffon because it's my signature cake that I make in just about every flavour.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@DiaDiva let me know if you find a place! The good dessert places I know are never near any good shopping, or the standard drops so much once they get famous/successful urgh. Still miss the time when Baker’s Inn cakes were really divine... even Patissier G standard has gone down the last time I tried...

@mellowyellowgirl I thought maybe your kid will enjoy satay. My Daughter LOVES them. 12 sticks at one sitting. o_O She’s only 2.5 yo so quite shocking how much she can eat...

We have so many water parks... u need more recs? You know the zoo n bird park also has water park ya?

If you go Tiong Bahru, Tiong Bahru Galicier has the best kueh, especially kueh dardar.

Where else are you going?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade they are hitting the museum on Friday.

Wanted to ask you is Jacob Ballas Children's Garden any good?

I'm hoping to escape to lucky plaza tomorrow!

Also debating whether to hit the colony buffet on a weekday as we're late for weekend reservations.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t like it as I hate mosquitoes and they love me and I was badly bitten...

Zoo or bird park... or adventure cove or science centre...

How old is your kid?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 yrs old @icy_jade

I meant the science centre is where they are going Friday! I keep calling it the museum lol.

Ahh bummer kid definately hates mozzies.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
If you are visiting Nandar’s place, which I believe is in Clementi, you should swing by West Coast Plaza. The jeweler there is having a moving sale of up to 60% off and most of their stuff is 18k or 22k gold. I just bought an amethyst ring today and am planning to go back for more. Nothing terribly exciting in terms of gemstones, but they also have some lovely jade pendants set with diamonds, some which already come certified by Nanyang Lab. Nearby is West Coast Park where there are some big playgrounds, if the kids need to be entertained.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Making my way to lucky plaza. If I don't post it'll be because I'm still roaming Singapore's underground a week later :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results