shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox Loose Stones up to 2ct Just Became Available

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
For anyone that has multiple rounds in the loose 2ct size can you speak to how the quality differs? My 2 ct has some arrows (although not all around) and I am curious how I would fare if I purchased another one. It looks like the 1.75ct are cut pretty well from the pictures I can see online.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
This is so scary! How did they link your profiles to your linkedin Profile?

Since I have ordered from them, I am guessing that they searched by name. Doing market research by trawling your customers’ CV’s is weird. It feels overtly bold. They flood everyone’s emails with ads, and people use ad blockers etc. to tamp down all the annoying ads.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Since I have ordered from them, I am guessing that they searched by name. Doing market research by trawling your customers’ CV’s is weird. It feels overtly bold. They flood everyone’s emails with ads, and people use ad blockers etc. to tamp down all the annoying ads.

That is creepy. I buy from them fairly often, so now I'm worried they've been googling me as well. I'm not on Linkedin, but still... sheesh.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
That is creepy. I buy from them fairly often, so now I'm worried they've been googling me as well. I'm not on Linkedin, but still... sheesh.

All of us have online profiles that the big tech companies build on us, aggregate, cross reference, then sell to advertisers to the highest bidder.

Now that I think about it, I have posted reviews of my LB purchases here, and on other forums, including stuff I returned. I also like to post and review my other jewelry projects on different platforms. I have a fairly decent collection, and a distinct taste and style. Etsy lets people/vendors “follow” you, and I haven’t figured out a way to turn that off or opt out.

It would probably be fairly easy for an AI image recognition algorithm to cross-reference all of these individual things that, in aggregate, build up a unique profile, and match it with your existing customer(s), especially when you have their personal data from the purchases they made with your company.

I would have preferred a direct appeal if they were doing market R&D, or demographic research or whatever. Seeking out a public LinkedIn profile that is not there for this type of thing feels invasive and a bit violating. I would like an explanation from them.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of us have online profiles that the big tech companies build on us, aggregate, cross reference, then sell to advertisers to the highest bidder.

Now that I think about it, I have posted reviews of my LB purchases here, and on other forums, including stuff I returned. I also like to post and review my other jewelry projects on different platforms. I have a fairly decent collection, and a distinct taste and style. Etsy lets people/vendors “follow” you, and I haven’t figured out a way to turn that off or opt out.

It would probably be fairly easy for an AI image recognition algorithm to cross-reference all of these individual things that, in aggregate, build up a unique profile, and match it with your existing customer(s), especially when you have their personal data from the purchases they made with your company.

I would have preferred a direct appeal if they were doing market R&D, or demographic research or whatever. Seeking out a public LinkedIn profile that is not there for this type of thing feels invasive and a bit violating. I would like an explanation from them.

if they're hiring a firm to do a marketing campaign, they may have all this stuff automated, could be a bot looking at your profile. it's indeed creepy how much information companies can access especially if they're willing to pay a fee to a third-party data aggregator.

sunbasket08

Rough_Rock
Hi all

Longtime lurker here. I was alerted to Lightbox loose diamonds courtesy of this forum and has preordered a 2 carat which is arriving tomorrow.

Very excited that I am one step closer to having a ring. Been married for 10 years and we didn’t get an engagement ring as we were trying to save.

Not sure if I should post separately, but can people advise how they are setting their loose diamonds? I live in the tristate region and can travel to Manhattan if necessary. I was hoping to do a setting similar to this (hidden halo with a slim ring):

But FD doesn’t do ring settings unless you purchase the center stone through them. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all

Longtime lurker here. I was alerted to Lightbox loose diamonds courtesy of this forum and has preordered a 2 carat which is arriving tomorrow.

Very excited that I am one step closer to having a ring. Been married for 10 years and we didn’t get an engagement ring as we were trying to save.

Not sure if I should post separately, but can people advise how they are setting their loose diamonds? I live in the tristate region and can travel to Manhattan if necessary. I was hoping to do a setting similar to this (hidden halo with a slim ring):

But FD doesn’t do ring settings unless you purchase the center stone through them. Any advice is much appreciated!!

How about James Allen? They have a NY location.

They're also having a Valentine's Day sale on a lot of their settings.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

I went to my local "jewelers exchange" and found a pre owned setting, equivalent settings were $1,600-$2,000+ online and similarly priced in store for brand new ones (+ a setting fee you would have to pay).

I bought the pre-owned setting for $700 (including setting fee) and probably could have negotiated down further but was happy to have found one close to my price range.

Since this is not for ER and the stone was priced so low I didn't want to blow a whole lot on a setting plus, I love getting a good deal and buying pre-owned for sustainability reasons.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
if they're hiring a firm to do a marketing campaign, they may have all this stuff automated, could be a bot looking at your profile. it's indeed creepy how much information companies can access especially if they're willing to pay a fee to a third-party data aggregator.

Fair, but if they have hired/subcontracted this out, I would not expect LB to be searching directly. One would see XYZ research & development firm or some such.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
That turned out nice! Wow, where did you get it set?

Thank you I’m in love with it! I was connected with Joel at Bardy’s. I live close to his showroom and he had a pre-owned dainty tapered baguette setting that fit exactly what was in my mind. I highly recommend. $700 total for semi mount and the labor.

I wanted to get a pre owned setting for the sustainable reasons as well as pricing. Equivalent platinum settings on JA and other retailers was $1,200-$1,800. I wasn’t about to drop just as much as I spent on the stone on a setting.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friends lightbox 2 ct came in at 2.05 and H color, vs1. She is having it set now.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
If anyone is curious to see, I did buy a 1.75 carat in pink.

Here are some pics in warm lighting:
IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg
Here are some pics in indirect/natural light:

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

If anyone is thinking of buying a larger LB stone in pink, I hope this gives you an idea of the cut and color!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
For anyone that has multiple rounds in the loose 2ct size can you speak to how the quality differs? My 2 ct has some arrows (although not all around) and I am curious how I would fare if I purchased another one. It looks like the 1.75ct are cut pretty well from the pictures I can see online.

I've purchased four 2ct so far. Bought two, returned one, bought two more next time. Second time both were excellent, so I kept all three for an earring/pendant set. The three I kept measures 8.09, 8.11, 8.19mm. All very well cut, about low G-high I in color, VS clarity. The 8.09 and 8.19 are identical in cut with slimmer arrows/crown height/performance, while the 8.11 has fatter arrows and looks slightly different. 8.11 faces up as white as my loose GIA 1.83 H oec, and profile is maybe a smidge whiter. Since the 8.09 and 8.19 are close enough in size once set and a better pattern match, I paired them up. The one I returned was 7.85mm, looked maybe I-J color, and had leakage. I didn't even bother weighing it, the difference was immediately apparent.

If you are trying to match your existing stone, I'd buy two and see which matches better because they do vary.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
I've purchased four 2ct so far. Bought two, returned one, bought two more next time. Second time both were excellent, so I kept all three for an earring/pendant set. The three I kept measures 8.09, 8.11, 8.19mm. All very well cut, about low G-high I in color, VS clarity. The 8.09 and 8.19 are identical in cut with slimmer arrows/crown height/performance, while the 8.11 has fatter arrows and looks slightly different. 8.11 faces up as white as my loose GIA 1.83 H oec, and profile is maybe a smidge whiter. Since the 8.09 and 8.19 are close enough in size once set and a better pattern match, I paired them up. The one I returned was 7.85mm, looked maybe I-J color, and had leakage. I didn't even bother weighing it, the difference was immediately apparent.

If you are trying to match your existing stone, I'd buy two and see which matches better because they do vary.

That sounds lovely! I am curious how do I measure the performance of the loose stones bought from Lightbox at home? Sorry I am very new so please bear with me!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That sounds lovely! I am curious how do I measure the performance of the loose stones bought from Lightbox at home? Sorry I am very new so please bear with me!

My eyes. :bigsmile: I do this hand cupping thing and walk around to different lighting, a learned skill from playing with diamonds almost 20 years! I can guess the mm down to .1 difference, and have never been wrong with color/clarity when sending a diamond to GIA. But to be sure, I did also confirm cut with Idealscope and ASET afterwards.

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
My eyes. :bigsmile: I do this hand cupping thing and walk around to different lighting, a learned skill from playing with diamonds almost 20 years! I can guess the mm down to .1 difference, and have never been wrong with color/clarity when sending a diamond to GIA. But to be sure, I did also confirmed cut with Idealscope and ASET afterwards.
:-o:-othat’s impressive!! I bought loose diamond from Lightbox but not sure how to confirm cut. Where can I get idealscope and ASET?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Thank you

thank you!

diamondgeeknerd

Rough_Rock
Had a post about the Lightbox diamonds I received but figured I would post here as well since I would like as many advises as possible. I like the first one much more. What do you think about them? should I keep the first one?

First one:
5E4224E2-25CA-49A2-96A1-08B944A5B68E.png
09AF406B-FDD4-4AFE-BD92-7A6302AF5D67.png

Second one:
8C2CBFBA-ADDF-4174-A0A4-CEE2CDF0C6E1.png

shelikessparkles

Rough_Rock
If anyone is curious to see, I did buy a 1.75 carat in pink.

Here are some pics in warm lighting:
IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg
Here are some pics in indirect/natural light:

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

If anyone is thinking of buying a larger LB stone in pink, I hope this gives you an idea of the cut and color!

This pink looks beautiful! Thanks for posting pics. I keep hoping they will release a 2 ct.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Had a post about the Lightbox diamonds I received but figured I would post here as well since I would like as many advises as possible. I like the first one much more. What do you think about them? should I keep the first one?

First one:
5E4224E2-25CA-49A2-96A1-08B944A5B68E.png
09AF406B-FDD4-4AFE-BD92-7A6302AF5D67.png

Second one:
8C2CBFBA-ADDF-4174-A0A4-CEE2CDF0C6E1.png

wow! First stone looks great. How did you set that up? Just a black background and a white funnel/cylinder?

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I think I was (sort of) able to get some pics of the cuts of my lightbox stones, if anyone is interested. Obviously my technique needs work, but hopefully this gives people a better idea of the cut of various stones.

2 carat blue:

IMG_5566.jpg
IMG_5568.jpg

2 carat white (in necklace) IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

1.75 carat pink
IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg
IMG_5575.jpg

and 1.75 carat white!

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

And then, just for comparison's sake, my current 1.4 carat e-ring (not a lightbox diamond) w/ideal specs, HCA of 1.1, etc.

IMG_5521.jpg

I hope this helps! As you can tell, these is definitely variation on the cuts of the LB diamonds. I'm thinking I might put the 1.75 carat white in the pendant and take out the 2 carat white for a ring, since I think the cut looks more symmetrical? It's so hard for me to tell with this stuff.

Also, sorry for posting so many pics on this thread. If it's a bother I can delete and make a separate thread.

Attachments

• IMG_5548.jpg
    IMG_5548.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results