shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

@Starstruck8 This is not part of our rainbow theme, but in keeping with your picture agate motif, I just wanted to show another similar stone! This is deschutes jasper, which is mined in Oregon. I love pieces that tell a story... it's so enchanting. The jasper looks like a desert night scene to me, complete with rolling mountain peaks and a glowing twilight sky. Then we have a diamond star, brushed gold moon (the piece is 18kyg), and twinkling platinum comet. BLUE is next!

Capturedrbh6b3.JPG

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
@Starstruck8 This is not part of our rainbow theme, but in keeping with your picture agate motif, I just wanted to show another similar stone! This is deschutes jasper, which is mined in Oregon. I love pieces that tell a story... it's so enchanting. The jasper looks like a desert night scene to me, complete with rolling mountain peaks and a glowing twilight sky. Then we have a diamond star, brushed gold moon (the piece is 18kyg), and twinkling platinum comet. BLUE is next!

Capturedrbh6b3.JPG

That is so fascinating. You can see the rolling plains in the foreground and the mountains in the background. I've seen these in books, but never in real life. And it's a wonderful and imaginative piece of jewellery.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So happy to see your larimar make an appearance!! :kiss2:

it had to wait two or three cycles of our rainbow as we kept sleeping through its spot
mind you we had some drop dead gorgeous greens while we were waiting
once it goes down south to the pearl knotting lady and comes back a necklace it might have to pop back in and say hello again

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Capturedrbh6b3.JPG

oh my :appl: :appl:
that does look like a painting of a desert sceen at dusk

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Blue: This one is a bit of a puzzle. It's called K2 stone, after the mountain peak. It's also called K2 jasper (though it's clearly not jasper) or K2 granite (though it's granite only in the broad sense).

There is a long discussion about it on another forum. (We are not allowed to link, but it has a lot of MINeral DATa, and it's ORGanized. Search and ye shall find.) Everyone's first opinion, like mine, was that it has to be fake. But after much discussion and testing, the consensus seem to be that it's natural, the blue mineral is azurite, the base material is mostly feldspar, and it comes not from K2 but from a location about 80km South. There seems to be no consensus on how it was formed.

K2.jpg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I love this!! Wow, those are rare beauties... they could be worn by a celebrity on the red carpet. Remember Angelina Jolie with those knock out emerald drops?
1237364wv9ymega33.gif
Thank You. Glad that concerts and events are back. I shall wear them to a premiere this Saturday :mrgreen2:

Capturedrbh6b3.JPG
Gorgeous! So imaginative and evocative.

Bring on those macarons!! To me, they are one of the best desserts - small but mighty.

Blue: This one is a bit of a puzzle. It's called K2 stone, after the mountain peak. It's also called K2 jasper (though it's clearly not jasper) or K2 granite (though it's granite only in the broad sense).

There is a long discussion about it on another forum. (We are not allowed to link, but it has a lot of MINeral DATa, and it's ORGanized. Search and ye shall find.) Everyone's first opinion, like mine, was that it has to be fake. But after much discussion and testing, the consensus seem to be that it's natural, the blue mineral is azurite, the base material is mostly feldspar, and it comes not from K2 but from a location about 80km South. There seems to be no consensus on how it was formed.

K2.jpg
Is that a pendant or ring? I can imagine wearing it and walking a Dalmatian.

That is so fascinating. You can see the rolling plains in the foreground and the mountains in the background. I've seen these in books, but never in real life. And it's a wonderful and imaginative piece of jewellery.

Thank you! This is where jewelry can be so fun, right?

K2.jpg

I love and own K2!! And yours is beautiful! So, yes, it's absolutely authentic, though initially thought to be another "rainbow silica" type manmade stone. My understanding is that the base is granite and, as you said, the flecks are feldspar and the blue is azurite staining. It's gorious! Thank you for incorporating it into our blue spot this round!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2: Sometimes I treat myself and order specialty ones on Etsy. Then I (try to) limit myself to one a day. Not easy! But they're little morsels of heaven, aren't they?

I was introduced to them by a former coworker who had taken a trip to Paris, and then came home and was determined to master making them. And she did! I'm telling you, they were the best thing I had ever tasted! Have not found anything close since, but then we don't get macarons much in these parts.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I was introduced to them by a former coworker who had taken a trip to Paris, and then came home and was determined to master making them. And she did! I'm telling you, they were the best thing I had ever tasted! Have not found anything close since, but then we don't get macarons much in these parts.

Oh how lovely... I hope you remained friendly with her. ;-) I consider myself a very capable baker (I've mastered the croissant and soufflé), but I've yet to tackle macaron. They're intimidating! lol We don't have them around here either. We're a predominantly Italian-American community, so it's all cannoli, zeppole, and sfogliatelle!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how lovely... I hope you remained friendly with her. ;-) I consider myself a very capable baker (I've mastered the croissant and soufflé), but I've yet to tackle macaron. They're intimidating! lol We don't have them around here either. We're a predominantly Italian-American community, so it's all cannoli, zeppole, and sfogliatelle!

i have a rainbow macaroon story to tell but im at work and i need to take a picture

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2: Sometimes I treat myself and order specialty ones on Etsy. Then I (try to) limit myself to one a day. Not easy! But they're little morsels of heaven, aren't they?
Yes, i agree!

Ooh, Lucky you. I understand it takes much skill to make macarons. My fav are the ones with rose.

It's a pendant. It's quite big, longest dimension about 4cm.

For Dalmatian owners, there's an even better stone - Dalmatian stone (sometimes misleadingly called Dalmatian jasper). Check out this GIA article:
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall-2017-dalmatian-jasper
Wow, thanks! Interesting sharing as usual, @starstruck

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
It pains me to know that this cancer started here (in the States) and is now metastasizing to countries like Denmark. When these tragedies are happening in maybe the safest country in the world, we know we have problems... :(2
Yes, of all places…
it all seems so un-Scandinavian :(2
take care
Here is a pic from where I lived in Copenhagen.
I love the long summer days and midnight sun.
PINK is next.

FA8DD5BC-A42C-41E4-A5B9-B59B67D29701.jpeg

PINK is next.

Oh wow... that is positively transcendent. ❤️ Thank you for sharing it.

Isn't is doubly sad that as we were discussing the Denmark tragedy, we suffered another in the US yesterday? What we're doing is clearly not working, and I mean that in all respects.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thought of you guys when the salad veg arrived
Yes, of all places…

PINK is next.

enjoy your lovelly summer
you certainly deserve it
all you Scandinavians are so hardy
i have real respect for you all
i do particularly have great respect
for HM Queen Margrethe (and thank goodness HM speaks English because i don't speak Danish)
my online Bruce Springsteen community is actually Danish in that our webmaster is Danish, as much as i love Anerica and Americans with all my heart Scandinavians are the best Bruce Springsteen are the best Bruce Springsteen fans, so i consider myself part Danish !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
20220704_141443.jpg we put so much carrot in our sandwiches
o_O
the spuds are because we made very trational (aka borring but popular) mashed potato stuffed sussages for our pie warmer
somewhere in there are red onions
i hate to think what those tomatoes cost right now
the lettuce comes from somewhere else
anyway Monday afternoon there is always a big loud knock at the back door that makes me jump if im doing the dishes

any way i just thought of this thread when they arrived this Monday

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so Indigo ?
no one has a dark saphire ?
you have seen all mine

or maybe we go straight to purple ?

20220704_141443.jpg we put so much carrot in our sandwiches
o_O
the spuds are because we made very trational (aka borring but popular) mashed potato stuffed sussages for our pie warmer
somewhere in there are red onions
i hate to think what those tomatoes cost right now
the lettuce comes from somewhere else
anyway Monday afternoon there is always a big loud knock at the back door that makes me jump if im doing the dishes

any way i just thought of this thread when they arrived this Monday

They are gorgeous!! I'd still rather have one of your baked treats though. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results