shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Here are 5 different yellow stones. Stones you don't often see. I leave it up to the group to identify them, at least for a few hours before I edit a picture with their identities.

YellowRough2.jpg

Ooh, I love games! Is the greenish yellow one a titanite? Could there also be danburite in there? Just guessing :confused:

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are 5 different yellow stones. Stones you don't often see. I leave it up to the group to identify them, at least for a few hours before I edit a picture with their identities.

YellowRough2.jpg

How fun! I’ll guess sapphire, helidore, Mali garnet, yellow grossular garnet and chrysoberyl. I’ll take one of each, please :)

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

YellowRough2.jpg

I like the game too:)

I like the guess on the greenish yellow rough being sphere~ But I would also guess it is a Mali garnet?!

That yellow colour on the far left stone is bright and intense, that makes me think it’s not sapphire as many yellow sapphires don’t seem to get that level of saturation. However it’s also not the general shape of tourmaline, so…Helidore due to its more honey hue.

Those on the far right… do remind me of typical chrysoberyl.

God, I have no idea on those on the right of the green yellow one..!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No Sphene and no Mali Garnet and no Helidor or Chrysoberyl. Had I thought of those I would have included them in the photo, so good guess.

Since those gem types are ruled out, does that mean the other guesses we’re right? If so, that would mean there are danburite, grossular garnet and sapphires in the picture. Possibly the sapphires are from Montana since you mention they are stones you don’t often see.
For the other two I’ll guess yellow zircon and yellow tourmaline.
This game is harder than it looks :lol:.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
The two big stones next the the danburite are Scapolite from Tanzania. The other stone with the green cast is a quartz. They call it lime quartz.

Yay! Thank you, Gene for a game within a game.
Now it is time for GREEN.
I received this. I think it is a cat’s eye chrysoberyl. Does it look like a chrysoberyl to you? it is set in 22K gold.

B78AA56E-A525-4D87-976C-88373504E9D5.jpeg 31891EDC-B09F-4D98-866A-9A40CC37B441.jpeg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are lime quartz and lemon quartz the same thing?

You are right, I meant lemon quartz. For some reason I always get limes and lemons mixed up. Last time my wife sent me to get a bottle of lime juice, I brought how lemon juice.

As far as the quartz goes, these are also know as Ouro Verde quartz. It's irradiated with cobalt-60 gamma rays and then heated. Usually starting out with clear quartz.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Thank you, Gene for a game within a game.
Now it is time for GREEN.
I received this. I think it is a cat’s eye chrysoberyl. Does it look like a chrysoberyl to you? it is set in 22K gold.

B78AA56E-A525-4D87-976C-88373504E9D5.jpeg 31891EDC-B09F-4D98-866A-9A40CC37B441.jpeg

Yes, it looks like chrysoberyl to me.

It doesn't look like the artificial (fibre optic glass) cat's eye in this thread - it's clearly better cut and polished:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/guessing-time-what-could-these-be.273900/#post-5138553
Note especially the last post, showing the flat back with striations.

That said, many minerals can show cat's eyes. As always, you can't tell from pictures. The 22K gold setting is a good sign (against that, the stone could have been replaced...). FWIW, my gut feel is that it's chrysoberyl.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it looks like chrysoberyl to me.

It doesn't look like the artificial (fibre optic glass) cat's eye in this thread - it's clearly better cut and polished:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/guessing-time-what-could-these-be.273900/#post-5138553
Note especially the last post, showing the flat back with striations.

That said, many minerals can show cat's eyes. As always, you can't tell from pictures. The 22K gold setting is a good sign (against that, the stone could have been replaced...). FWIW, my gut feel is that it's chrysoberyl.

Thank you, @Starstruck8 You are so knowledgeable about gem phenomena!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and our rainbow. in back after a bit of a sluggish patch :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
pink is next
thanks to @Starstruck8 @icy_jade and @Nick_G :appl: :appl: :appl:

you know i can't help but think of all those rock hounds who pop up out of nowhere hoping they have just found something really valuable on the beach or out of grandma's button jar (i did see an antiques roadshow once where someone actually found a tiny faberge egg that way) and now we have the perfect thread for their finds regardless of what they turned out to be ( ....well so long as its a real stone)

its not very often on PS all natural gemstones get to hang out together like this and it makes this a very intetesting and pretty thread

here is something red i wish i had more off :lol-2:
the NZ $100 note
that's Lord Earnest Rutherford
he was the first person to split the atom
that's a yellowhead on the back

1657670837047.png
1657670860821.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so back to something pink...
i scratch my head trying to think of something pink
but i had this poster on my bedroom wall as a kid
its Jessica from Logan's run - the tv series
39af9ac6aa8354525246b7edb8d4d615--logans-run-fictional-characters.jpg

i just watched the movie on netflex and was shocked Jessica was in a green dress and was played by Sister Julianne from call the midwife o_O

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results