shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
im adding a stone like this to my list of possibilities for my Tibby tribute ring (my avitar pic) when i muster up the finances
i had wanted a yellow stone to match his eyes but now ive seen your brown on .....
brown deserves more love

do star saphires come in different shapes ? - i want a marguise ( probably not the wrote word for a cab) to match the shape of his eyes

I'm thinking that a suitable star stone may by hard to find. Star stones are always cut as cabochons - this is essential to show the the star. Generally, round shapes and 'shorter' ovals are preferred to 'long' ovals. (This is because long ovals distort the star. See my pic: In the round stone, the angles between the rays are equal. In the long oval, the star is stretched out lengthwise.) It would be very unusual to find a star stone cut in a marquise shape.

You may do better with cat's eye chrysoberyl. This comes in a range of green-yellow-brown colors. As with star stones, rounder shapes are generally preferred, but longer shapes are not uncommon. Be warned, top quality cat's eye chrysoberyl can be amazingly pricey - but you probably don't need top quality.

I'm also thinking that peridot, which you have mentioned before, is worth considering. It comes in the right green-yellow colour range. You have a much better chance of finding a suitable shape. Also consider greenish yellow sapphire. This is hard wearing and can be pretty inexpensive (because it's considered an 'off' colour).

labradorite
i keep forgetting i have this
this is the most colour ive ever seen in it
as a pendent i dont see it
it might make a better ( big silver ) ring ?
Na - i think it would look dark and yuck
20220702_175721.jpg 20220702_175734.jpg 20220702_175752.jpg

Personally, I love labradorite and spectrolite in general, so I'm biased! :geek2:

About the star sapphires, I think they need to be roundish cabs to bring out the asterism, but I could be wrong!

You may do better with cat's eye chrysoberyl. This comes in a range of green-yellow-brown colors. As with star stones, rounder shapes are generally preferred, but longer shapes are not uncommon. Be warned, top quality cat's eye chrysoberyl can be amazingly pricey - but you probably don't need top quality.

@Daisys and Diamonds I like this idea ^.
nod.gif

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Amethyst. The first piece of real jewelry I ever bought myself, purchased with my first paycheck from my first summer job that paid a
“real” salary, at age 18. I realize now that the workmanship is not really top notch, and amethyst is inexpensive, but it filled me with joy and made me feel like an adult woman. And I still love it for that reason 40 years later! 7C2A5246-6718-496D-A703-EEC3C7AE0A12.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that a suitable star stone may by hard to find. Star stones are always cut as cabochons - this is essential to show the the star. Generally, round shapes and 'shorter' ovals are preferred to 'long' ovals. (This is because long ovals distort the star. See my pic: In the round stone, the angles between the rays are equal. In the long oval, the star is stretched out lengthwise.) It would be very unusual to find a star stone cut in a marquise shape.

I'm also thinking that peridot, which you have mentioned before, is worth considering. It comes in the right green-yellow colour range. You have a much better chance of finding a suitable shape. Also consider greenish yellow sapphire. This is hard wearing and can be pretty inexpensive (because it's considered an 'off' colour).

thank you Starbuck (
Amethyst. The first piece of real jewelry I ever bought myself, purchased with my first paycheck from my first summer job that paid a
“real” salary, at age 18. I realize now that the workmanship is not really top notch, and amethyst is inexpensive, but it filled me with joy and made me feel like an adult woman. And I still love it for that reason 40 years later! 7C2A5246-6718-496D-A703-EEC3C7AE0A12.jpeg

i love amethyst in yellow gold
i love that you brought something with your first pay that still brings you joy and still looks really pretty and is hopefully still a useful staple in your jewlery box all these years latter
well done 18 year old you !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

thank you @Starstruck8
so something comes off my list of possibilities and something else ++ goes on
nothing wrong with that
and thank you

And you should still be proud to own and wear it! First, I'm an amethyst lover. Second, I'm a sentimental fool. Third, the decorative prongs are really cool. Thank you for sharing it and the lovely back story!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
And you should still be proud to own and wear it! First, I'm an amethyst lover. Second, I'm a sentimental fool. Third, the decorative prongs are really cool. Thank you for sharing it and the lovely back story!!

I think the stone is still pretty, and I do still wear it. I wonder sometimes though, if I should have someone "clean up" the prong arms ( they are pretty crudely done -it's hard to believe that a jewelry store (family owned) would sell something like this, and the naive 18 year old me didn't even notice, haha.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the stone is still pretty, and I do still wear it. I wonder sometimes though, if I should have someone "clean up" the prong arms ( they are pretty crudely done -it's hard to believe that a jewelry store (family owned) would sell something like this, and the naive 18 year old me didn't even notice, haha.

i just zoomed in on your ring
before i was focused on the stone
but i love the setting
i don't see anything iffy with the prongs

at 18 what did we really know about anything ?
if it has an imperfection to your eyes think if it rather as its innocence

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson You changed your name! I like it!! Thank goodness your beautiful ruby was still there to identify you though. :lol:

PURPLE is up!

@Autumn in New England, yes, I sheepishly admit I used my actual name. Then I read a discussion by PS members about why it is not advisable to do so (duh, why didn’t it occur to me???) Thank you for noticing and giving me a chance to explain it here esp to the regulars on this thread.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@RMOO I like amethyst too, just like @Autumn in New England and @Daisys and Diamonds. I think it is an underrated stone. I love your story about this ring. To me, that is what makes jewellery individual and special.

My 5 carat pink lab sapphire ring, thanks to Finewater Gems and David Klass. :)

newring1.jpg
@seaurchin I don’t know why, but it seems to be staring at me!

no !
these are not mine !
why does this toaster look like a radio ?
1656804801663.png
@Daisys and Diamonds you always make me laugh! You have a real gift. Re: this toaster, I like it when things are not what they seem.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
labradorite
i keep forgetting i have this
this is the most colour ive ever seen in it
as a pendent i dont see it
it might make a better ( big silver ) ring ?
Na - i think it would look dark and yuck
20220702_175721.jpg 20220702_175734.jpg 20220702_175752.jpg

Nice flashy lab! I am drawn to stones with phenomena. Such fun to play with! If it is a pendant you might not get so see it as much? I do think as a ring (bec we move our hands) you might have more joy with it.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
To match my new name, here are my ruby earrings. My sister calls them my “Ta-da” earrings. They were chosen by my daughter who is too young to wear them but thinks they look like princess earrings :mrgreen2: Another friend of mine thinks the earrings could be cut to make 2 pairs:oops2: Although I have worn these only twice, they have certainly provoked a lot of discussiono_O

027B934C-7DB9-4EB9-986F-95FD7D0266AF.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice flashy lab! I am drawn to stones with phenomena. Such fun to play with! If it is a pendant you might not get so see it as much? I do think as a ring (bec we move our hands) you might have more joy with it.

thank you
too be honest ive always been disappointed in it and this is the most colour ive ever seen in it
but it didn't cost a lot and it came on a nice silver chain
i like the ring idea

maybe i should just hang it up in the window like a crystal :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
To match my new name, here are my ruby earrings. My sister calls them my “Ta-da” earrings. They were chosen by my daughter who is too young to wear them but thinks they look like princess earrings :mrgreen2: Another friend of mine thinks the earrings could be cut to make 2 pairs:oops2: Although I have worn these only twice, they have certainly provoked a lot of discussiono_O

027B934C-7DB9-4EB9-986F-95FD7D0266AF.jpeg

i love the length
i love everything about them
don't let that friend near them ! :lol-2:

Princess Ta Da ! earings

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
thank you
too be honest ive always been disappointed in it and this is the most colour ive ever seen in it
but it didn't cost a lot and it came on a nice silver chain
i like the ring idea

maybe i should just hang it up in the window like a crystal :lol-2:

Whatever gives you the most enjoyment! I always think it is a pity to lock up beautiful gems like these, esp phenomena stones that play so well with the light. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so while we wait for blue ...
today ive come to a realization
even if peridot is much softer than saphire, they look really good together
and i want !
probably not this, because its pretty tiny and for the price i bet the saphires arnt a good colour Screenshot_20220703-114058.png

I love this!! Wow, those are rare beauties... they could be worn by a celebrity on the red carpet. Remember Angelina Jolie with those knock out emerald drops?
1237364wv9ymega33.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results