shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk about the possibility of changing up my 3-stone

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can go up to 5.5-5.8mm and it'd still look great.

Thanks @ForteKitty. I’m actually really warming up to the idea of bigger sides whereas before I was very adamant about smaller. There’s this one ring on Alex’s IG, don’t know if it’s a PSer’s but I think it’s lovely. https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgI07MFJ0b/?igshid=1r870qphdr5c8
She says the center is 8.02x8.14 which is almost exactly my stone and her sides are 1.13cts each, which I’m thinking are 6mm? But, money is the issue here. Of course going bigger is great but bigger means more money.

edited to add picture for easier access. Hope they’re ok with me posting this. It’s beautiful. I probably would want a bit small sides though. Just a teensy bit smaller.
0F442003-A0E9-46DF-9BD4-E2E6A8EEFFE5.jpeg

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I should just go get some finger lipo and forget about the new diamonds! Haha! :lol:

Omg this is the best. I did calculate that finger lipo would sometimes be more cost effective for DSS hahaha.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, hi @maita13! Yup, its me again with the DSS! And yes! I remember about your EC ring! Funny that DSS is setting in and they haven't even been set yet. I get ya though, I kinda had the same thing happen when I first got these stones.
Your single cuts idea sounds good. Sucks that costs always have to factor into these things, don't they? Your ring is gonna be gorgeous!!

My actual ring measures 16.19mm, opposed to the 16.67 it equals out to when you add all the stones. And approximately 18mm with the bigger sides, so factoring the tilt lets say its 17.5mm or so. I still don't think that's going to be enough. But, adding 5mm stones to the mix and making a 5-stone, the stones measure out to be 26.6. Not sure how many mm I would need to subtract from this since its going to be much more rounded than a 3-stone sitting on top of my finger. I do know that I do not like stones that stick out past the finger. But, I see that you are giving yourself about 2mm on your own finger for your OEC/OMC ring.

Grace actually has a 3-stone that I absolutely love and I actually like the setting and how the stones are set flush with one another instead of tucked. (I may do this next time around). And I love the proportions. The center is 8.69-8.92mm and the sides are about 5mm on a size 6.75. I love the finger coverage but trying to get that on my finger is the obstacle. I have 19mm of finger to work with. I wish I had a wax mold or was good at photoshop so that I could figure out what is going on in my head.
IMG_8843.jpg IMG_8842.jpg IMG_8841.jpg

Ooh, Grace’s 3 stone sure looks delish!
I do understand about choosing perfect proportions relative to ring size and desired aesthetics. Perhaps our resident photoshop genius @Rfisher can help you with this?

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I can't really explain it, but I love a three stone, but I only like 5 when it's a band of 5 similar size smaller stones or a very slight taper. Like .30s or .40s.

I really think you'll be happier with 2 larger sides. I love that antique ring you posted of Grace's. I think I need to save that for my own inspiration file! I hadn't really seen side stones that small put at the height of the center stone, but it really works with that style setting.

It really does DS! I’ve admired this ring for a while and told Grace not to sell it cuz it’s mine. If only. My problem is that I’m trying to gain more diamonds and more coverage on a tight budget so I’m trying to find little ways to make it work. If I had the money, I would buy sides that were much bigger than 5mm. Funny how my idea of the perfect 3 stone had changed in a matter of a couple months. I guess that’s DSS for ya.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Omg this is the best. I did calculate that finger lipo would sometimes be more cost effective for DSS hahaha.

Hahah right? And I’ll only do it on my ring finger. I don’t care if it doesn't look proportionate to the rest of my fingers. Momma is trying to save so money.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, Grace’s 3 stone sure looks delish!
I do understand about choosing perfect proportions relative to ring size and desired aesthetics. Perhaps our resident photoshop genius @Rfisher can help you with this?

If only I had @Rfisher’s photoshop skills! I don’t wanna be a bother! When is your new ring coming to fruition?

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @ForteKitty. I’m actually really warming up to the idea of bigger sides whereas before I was very adamant about smaller. There’s this one ring on Alex’s IG, don’t know if it’s a PSer’s but I think it’s lovely. https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgI07MFJ0b/?igshid=1r870qphdr5c8
She says the center is 8.02x8.14 which is almost exactly my stone and her sides are 1.13cts each, which I’m thinking are 6mm? But, money is the issue here. Of course going bigger is great but bigger means more money.

Yes, it’s owned by @HS4S_2!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does DS! I’ve admired this ring for a while and told Grace not to sell it cuz it’s mine. If only. My problem is that I’m trying to gain more diamonds and more coverage on a tight budget so I’m trying to find little ways to make it work. If I had the money, I would buy sides that were much bigger than 5mm. Funny how my idea of the perfect 3 stone had changed in a matter of a couple months. I guess that’s DSS for ya.

This is precisely why we see PSers change settings so much! It is hard to know what we really love when we can't try things on before buying. So we have a ring made, and after we live with it awhile, we figure out what we like and don't like about it! So that may mean a different style or the same style with different size stones. I think that is exactly why I haven't reset my AVR...I am just not 100% sure about any setting! I really need to see them and try them on, and it's usually not possible!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
If only I had @Rfisher’s photoshop skills! I don’t wanna be a bother! When is your new ring coming to fruition?

Truth be told I’m still saving up for a setting. This’ll give me time to decide which way to go.

And as for the ring on Alex Parks IG, it is owned by a PSer! Such a gorgeous ring! Here’s the thread:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
This is precisely why we see PSers change settings so much! It is hard to know what we really love when we can't try things on before buying. So we have a ring made, and after we live with it awhile, we figure out what we like and don't like about it! So that may mean a different style or the same style with different size stones. I think that is exactly why I haven't reset my AVR...I am just not 100% sure about any setting! I really need to see them and try them on, and it's usually not possible!

I had no idea you were wanting to reset your AVR. It’s so beautiful and perfect! But yes, it’s hard to know what I want. I thought this was it but as you can see...

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Truth be told I’m still saving up for a setting. This’ll give me time to decide which way to go.

And as for the ring on Alex Parks IG, it is owned by a PSer! Such a gorgeous ring! Here’s the thread:
That’s probably going to be the same for me. I’ll buy the stones and the setting will come later. Or so I say... patience, when it comes to diamonds, is not my strongest suit.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Spring Day I would keep your beautiful 3 stone as is. I have a personal soft spot for a large center with smaller side stones and I think that your ring is perfection. I guess we all want different things, but as PSers or anyone who pays particular attention to jewels, I really don’t think that we can ever be fully satisfied with whatever we have. You mentioned that you are working with a budget, can you put the funds toward something else at this time that can satisfy your itch? Either a band or some other bling-y purchase?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea you were wanting to reset your AVR. It’s so beautiful and perfect! But yes, it’s hard to know what I want. I thought this was it but as you can see...

Thank you! When I got my AVR 7.5 years ago, I just had them replace the head in my solitaire setting so I could wear the stone until I decided on one that complimented the stone more. A three stone is one of my possibilities, but what size side stones, how to place them, I am not sure. Then there are a couple other options. I just want the feeling of this is THE ONE when I see it! But that hasn't happened, and I feel like I have seen every conceivable setting!

Sooo, it is fun for me to follow resets because it does help me narrow down preferences!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day I would keep your beautiful 3 stone as is. I have a personal soft spot for a large center with smaller side stones and I think that your ring is perfection. I guess we all want different things, but as PSers or anyone who pays particular attention to jewels, I really don’t think that we can ever be fully satisfied with whatever we have. You mentioned that you are working with a budget, can you put the funds toward something else at this time that can satisfy your itch? Either a band or some other bling-y purchase?

Thank you @SimoneDi for the nice words. I do still love the big center and small side combo. And now also find the bigger side stone ratio beautiful as well. If I did not have a budget, I would get a bigger center and match the ratio I have now and get finger coverage that way but that’s a whole lotta money that I’m not willing to spend right now. I do have the option of waiting though. Not sure when but I may be getting a little bit more spending money that could go towards this project. It might be the oomph I need to really make a finger coverage statement. But that means waiting... I need a pill that gives me patience. Just pop two babies a day and all is well with the world.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! When I got my AVR 7.5 years ago, I just had them replace the head in my solitaire setting so I could wear the stone until I decided on one that complimented the stone more. A three stone is one of my possibilities, but what size side stones, how to place them, I am not sure. Then there are a couple other options. I just want the feeling of this is THE ONE when I see it! But that hasn't happened, and I feel like I have seen every conceivable setting!

Sooo, it is fun for me to follow resets because it does help me narrow down preferences!

Wow, I’m talking about not having the patience to wait a couple months but you’ve been working on a reset for 7.5 years! I also feel like when I get interested in something, I tend to research the hell out of it and end up with more options and more opinions and maybe make things more complicated than before. Looking at settings for 7.5 years is a long time. And I bet your aesthetic has changed as well multiple times! How do you know this is “the one”. I feel like it could be “the one RIGHT NOW”. I admire people that continue to love their jewels as much as the day they got them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Hi!!

Thanks for posting your old thread!! I went back to take another look - I most definitely remember your ring!!

Can I be totally honest?
I LOVE your ring exactly as it is right now. Classic, classic, classic proportions - the smaller sides (which aren't "too small" by any means!) let the centerstone shine, and shine she does!!
And I really like that you can see a little skin on either side of your sidestones face-up. I had any number of multi-stone rings - three, five, seven... None were just right for me. Eventually I upgraded the stone and stuck it in a temporary solitaire, and that's when I realized - "oh! I really like seeing finger face-up!". Your stones are spaced out quite a bit, so you really see the roundness of each of them - and they cover more of your finger than they would if they were tucked way under the center.
And I think they look perfect on you!!

Are you, like, 10000% that you want to reset? Have you tried some blingy bands - see if that scratches the itch for a bigger overall look?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I probably would want a bit small sides though. Just a teensy bit smaller.

I love your gorgeous ring as-is, but I think it will be beautiful with you going up to side stones 5-6mm, and satisfy your craving for finger coverage. I don't like large side stones with modern brilliants, but the effect is very different with old cuts, especially when they have high crowns, it creates such a lovely three-dimensional and sculptural effect. This photo is a great example.

Since your center stone is a delicious L, a bonus is that it should be pretty affordable to find matching side stones!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

edited to add picture for easier access. Hope they’re ok with me posting this. It’s beautiful. I probably would want a bit small sides though. Just a teensy bit smaller.

Hi. This one is my 3 stone. The side stones are 6.5. I actually was originally going to go larger center and smaller sides. But I loved the center stone and for some reason I fell in love with the way the stones pulled together. It was the initial plan to do more yellow sides stones but it spoke to me . It is a really perfect amount of bling because it goes all the way across the top of my finger and is so comfortable. I love your 3 stone as well. I feel like I am having lass doubts about this one because the kids were so involved.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Hi!!

Thanks for posting your old thread!! I went back to take another look - I most definitely remember your ring!!

Can I be totally honest?
I LOVE your ring exactly as it is right now. Classic, classic, classic proportions - the smaller sides (which aren't "too small" by any means!) let the centerstone shine, and shine she does!!
And I really like that you can see a little skin on either side of your sidestones face-up. I had any number of multi-stone rings - three, five, seven... None were just right for me. Eventually I upgraded the stone and stuck it in a temporary solitaire, and that's when I realized - "oh! I really like seeing finger face-up!". Your stones are spaced out quite a bit, so you really see the roundness of each of them - and they cover more of your finger than they would if they were tucked way under the center.
And I think they look perfect on you!!

Are you, like, 10000% that you want to reset? Have you tried some blingy bands - see if that scratches the itch for a bigger overall look?

Hiiiiii @yssie! You know what’s funny though? My ring is very photogenic. The proportions look so much better in pics. Even I get mesmerized by them and I took them! Whenever I feel down about my ring, I look at the pics and feel better but when I look down at my actual ring again, it’s not the same. I just thought it was a weird phenomenon. It’s the same ring, for gods sake. Along with the proportions, it’s also because there’s far more empty finger space than the pictures portray. I love the ratio, there’s no doubt about that. If I had a shit ton of money, I would upgrade everything a bit bigger keeping the proportions the same. 10mm center? 6mm sides? Yumm!
I tried blingier bands because I thought it would scratch the itch, I just don’t like the look of it. Even before I got my ring, I knew I wanted to just wear my 3 stone with a plain band. The blingy band really takes away from the ering.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I love your gorgeous ring as-is, but I think it will be beautiful with you going up to side stones 5-6mm, and satisfy your craving for finger coverage. I don't like large side stones with modern brilliants, but the effect is very different with old cuts, especially when they have high crowns, it creates such a lovely three-dimensional and sculptural effect. This photo is a great example.

Since your center stone is a delicious L, a bonus is that it should be pretty affordable to find matching side stones!

It really is a great example! I love her ring so much! I think if I get bigger sides, I could probably even go down to N or OP since they’re smaller than the center. Man, my sides started off at 5mm and now they’ve jumped to 6mm+. It’s like last time when I got a car, I told myself i would only spend $ amount of money but then after researching I ended up spending $$$. But that’s ok! Diamonds are more important that cars haha!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. This one is my 3 stone. The side stones are 6.5. I actually was originally going to go larger center and smaller sides. But I loved the center stone and for some reason I fell in love with the way the stones pulled together. It was the initial plan to do more yellow sides stones but it spoke to me . It is a really perfect amount of bling because it goes all the way across the top of my finger and is so comfortable. I love your 3 stone as well. I feel like I am having lass doubts about this one because the kids were so involved.

Your ring is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I really really love it. One of the things that kind of made me sad about my ring is that the sides are so small that I can’t see the beautiful faceting and light play of the facets. I get lost staring at my center but the sides do nothing for me. If I had proportions like yours, it would just be beautiful pools of OECs at every angle! I hope it’s alright that I am pulling inspiration from your gorgeous ring! It really caught my eye!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love your ring but if you feel DSS then change the sides to be bigger, like dramatically bigger than they are now. This is to create more drama.

Here is an example:

Yessssss @joelly! Spot on! Except I would like a teensy bit noticeable smaller sides and have them tilted and set a tiny bit lower than the center so it’s not a big flat wall of bling. But yes!!! I mean, I do love drama. Well, the good kind for me. I’ll take crazy drama with a bag of popcorn while I watch it unravel with someone else.

Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I still think it’s funny how things took a different turn than what was initially planned. At first I just wanted a bit bigger sides (.45-.5) or different cuts to maximize coverage. And now, I’m going for 6mm+ (1ct+) at about 5 times the budget of each stone. You guys are a very dangerous bunch and I love it! :kiss2: But, you’ve actually saved me from myself. By trying to go bigger on a smaller scale (and with no patience), I would probably be unhappy and end up spending more money sooner rather than later to go bigger again. That would mean a new setting too and more wasted money.

Ok, so it’s settled. I go BIGGER on the sides. Sorry to everyone that’s Team Keep the Smaller Sides! But, if a miracle happens and I’m able to nab a huge center for a very good price, it could still be a possibility. But, the amended project will have to wait a little bit though. If all goes well, I should have a 5 digit budget to upgrade instead of the low 4 digit I have now.

Also, my cat is very sick and we thought we were gonna lose him so that’s cost us a lot of money. He’s still recuperating and hopefully getting better.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I still think it’s funny how things took a different turn than what was initially planned. At first I just wanted a bit bigger sides (.45-.5) or different cuts to maximize coverage. And now, I’m going for 6mm+ (1ct+) at about 5 times the budget of each stone. You guys are a very dangerous bunch and I love it! :kiss2: But, you’ve actually saved me from myself. By trying to go bigger on a smaller scale (and with no patience), I would probably be unhappy and end up spending more money sooner rather than later to go bigger again. That would mean a new setting too and more wasted money.

Ok, so it’s settled. I go BIGGER on the sides. Sorry to everyone that’s Team Keep the Smaller Sides! But, if a miracle happens and I’m able to nab a huge center for a very good price, it could still be a possibility. But, the amended project will have to wait a little bit though. If all goes well, I should have a 5 digit budget to upgrade instead of the low 4 digit I have now.

Also, my cat is very sick and we thought we were gonna lose him so that’s cost us a lot of money. He’s still recuperating and hopefully getting better.

Yikes! Sending healing vibes to your cat.

Yes on bigger sides. I think if you go for drama, you will only do it once.

I will wait patiently to see what you come up with.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I really really love it. One of the things that kind of made me sad about my ring is that the sides are so small that I can’t see the beautiful faceting and light play of the facets. I get lost staring at my center but the sides do nothing for me. If I had proportions like yours, it would just be beautiful pools of OECs at every angle! I hope it’s alright that I am pulling inspiration from your gorgeous ring! It really caught my eye!

Of course!! Anytime. I don't mind at all. Thank you for the nice compliments. Yes, I love it from every angle because the OECS all have their own little personality traits and they draw you in.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love bigger sides! Can’t wait to see it. Hope your kitty feels better...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!! I hope furbaby feels better quickly - I know how scary that is :(sad

Your ring is photogenic! But I also know that the one-eyed camera sees the world differently. If it isn’t making you smile in-person - change ‘em up, change ‘em up ::)

Any plans for who you’ll have do the mount? Back to Sako? :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results