shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk about the possibility of changing up my 3-stone

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
So.... I know I just got it but as some of you know, I’m having DSS already. I was thinking about maybe getting bigger sides. I’m currently at 4.3mm each side and maybe stepping it up to 5mm. I’m thinking it won’t change the proportions too much and still make the center the star. But is that enough of a mm jump to make a finger coverage difference?
I’ve always been an OEC girl but I wonder if I should dip my toes into OMC sides. Would that be weird I wonder... or antique pears (which will be a hell of a job trying to find a matched pair). I do like ovals too.
I’m not very good at designing things in my head. I’m a very visual person and don’t know if I like something until I see it.
So, if you would be so kind as to throw out some ideas. Nothing that’s gonna cost an arm and a leg. Along with the new stones, I would have to get a brand new setting made so taking all of that into consideration.

My 3-stone SMTB thread for reference.

And of course to thank you for your time... a picture of my niece.
8E0D91F1-3BE4-447B-A4C5-168DC357ACB6.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is beautiful as is, but I think I would like the side stones a bit bigger for me. I would stick with OEC's just because your ring looks so great that way. And I think going up to 5mm would be a large jump. You might be able to do less and still get more coverage. Maybe 4.8 sides? I think that would be a noticeable difference. larger might change the look from a center with sides, vs a three stone, so you have to know which you want. Pears would look nice too but as you say, probably hard to find if you want antique stones. It would take some time I guess. Your center stone is gorgeous. If you decide to sell the small sides, I'm sure you find a willing audience.

Your niece is a doll. Here is by guy, recently rescued.

Attachments

• IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful as is, but I think I would like the side stones a bit bigger for me. I would stick with OEC's just because your ring looks so great that way. And I think going up to 5mm would be a large jump. You might be able to do less and still get more coverage. Maybe 4.8 sides? I think that would be a noticeable difference. larger might change the look from a center with sides, vs a three stone, so you have to know which you want. Pears would look nice too but as you say, probably hard to find if you want antique stones. It would take some time I guess. Your center stone is gorgeous. If you decide to sell the small sides, I'm sure you find a willing audience.

Your niece is a doll. Here is by guy, recently rescued.
Awww what a cute baby! Thank you for rescuing him!
You are correct about the overall look of the ring changing with the bigger sides but I think I’m ok with that. Maybe I should keep the 4.3mm I have now and make a 5-stone ring. Wonder how it’ll look.
5 OECs. Approx. 8mm, 5mm, and 4.3mm
I probably have the finger real estate for it.

Your ring is gorgeous. If you’re having DSS - switch up the sides to larger OEC’s.
You’re right. I should stick with what I know and love. OECs :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m really loving 3 stone OEC rings and with substantial side stones. But a pair of antique pears would prob be a fun pick too. I swear someone did rose cut sides - loved that because it was so unique.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I found that when DSS strikes it's helpful to think of the East-west (horizontal) finger coverage measurements, not just the general size of the stones.

I had CvB make me a 3 stone that looks very similar to yours a few years ago and she ended up remaking it 3 times (5mm,8.5mm,5mm to 5.5,8.5,5.5mm then back to 5mm sides) because at first I thought I wanted bigger side stones but then I realized after wearing them that the bigger side stones made the center stone diminish a little in comparison because I didn't like the proportions as much. But that's very much a personal preference. I think your ring now looks beautiful!

In sum I would look for pears or something that's going to give you the horizontal/east-west coverage that will cover the width of your finger. Just my two cents =)

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m really loving 3 stone OEC rings and with substantial side stones. But a pair of antique pears would prob be a fun pick too. I swear someone did rose cut sides - loved that because it was so unique.

I was thinking about rose cuts too . I think it would be beautiful. I have yet to see one in person or at least analyze it for performance. I would love to take a look at some.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I found that when DSS strikes it's helpful to think of the East-west (horizontal) finger coverage measurements, not just the general size of the stones.

I had CvB make me a 3 stone that looks very similar to yours a few years ago and she ended up remaking it 3 times (5mm,8.5mm,5mm to 5.5,8.5,5.5mm then back to 5mm sides) because at first I thought I wanted bigger side stones but then I realized after wearing them that the bigger side stones made the center stone diminish a little in comparison because I didn't like the proportions as much. But that's very much a personal preference. I think your ring now looks beautiful!

In sum I would look for pears or something that's going to give you the horizontal/east-west coverage that will cover the width of your finger. Just my two cents =)

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your experience in the matter. You are correct that my DSS stems from the lack of horizontal finger coverage. I do love the proportions of my ring and it took a lot of analyzing to get to this decision. The more I think about it, I think a 5-stone might look ok.

Cut out pieces of paper those sizes and see if you have the room across your finger.

That was exactly my plan for the day :)

I was also thinking maybe I should keep my 4.3’s and maybe do 3.9-3.8mm next to that. It would be more cost effective than buying bigger stones of any cut and replacing the 4.3mm’s. I’m going to cut out both sizes and see what I like.

Stupid quarantine has made me gain weight and I just don’t get the same finger coverage. Maybe I should just go get some finger lipo and forget about the new diamonds! Haha! :lol:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m the kind of person that needs to talk things out and analyze the same situation multiple times. So thank you for bearing with me while I come to a decision! :kiss2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think your proportions are good as is. Really lovely as is, honestly. But you have to be happy.

If you did a five stone, can he add two stones and cut the band, and rebuild the bridge to extend more? Probably no, but I figure I would ask.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I did find this stone that’s 4.9mm I think would match well with my center if I wanted to go with bigger sides... D651093B-07F2-4043-84DC-7F01E0B16AD1.jpeg 69A8CE40-6BF9-4008-9F56-4AD04D5A6B7B.jpeg

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I think your proportions are good as is. Really lovely as is, honestly. But you have to be happy.

If you did a five stone, can he add two stones and cut the band, and rebuild the bridge to extend more? Probably no, but I figure I would ask.

Thank you! I would think not? I think this time around I would go with DK so that I can be my usual self and tweak the CAD as much as I want without worrying I was being a nuisance.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think once they are set, and there is metal taking up more space, that they would fit on your finger comfortably? I'm thinking the final side stones may end up farther down your finger.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
do you think once they are set, and there is metal taking up more space, that they would fit on your finger comfortably? I'm thinking the final side stones may end up farther down your finger.

Right? Things are never exactly as you might imagine them to be.
The other option is to leave the 4.3’s where they are and get smaller outer stones (maybe 3.8ish) which I did not have time to do a mock-up of.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Any chance you live someplace where someone’s got a fantastic selection of antique diamonds? IMO it would most fun to go and try all see combos that interest you in person.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Any chance you live someplace where someone’s got a fantastic selection of antique diamonds? IMO it would most fun to go and try all see combos that interest you in person.

Closest I’ve got is Isadora’s in Seattle, Eragem in Bellevue, or Maloy’s in Portland but everything is an equal 3 hour distance away from where I live and trying to go over the mountains during this time is a no go. I used to live in Seattle and go there all the time while the weather is good but now is not a good time. So... technically no.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I remember @yssie had her DBL 5 stone and her finger is teeny tiny. If I remember correctly her center was 9mm but I think it didn’t bother her too much between her fingers. I’m a size 9 so there a whole lot more space. Hmm...

edit: looks like it was 9mm, 5mm, and 4mm

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Closest I’ve got is Isadora’s in Seattle, Eragem in Bellevue, or Maloy’s in Portland but everything is an equal 3 hour distance away from where I live and trying to go over the mountains during this time is a no go. I used to live in Seattle and go there all the time while the weather is good but now is not a good time. So... technically no.

Oh right, I think it has come up before that we’re in the same general area... I really had OWD or I&R in mind when I typed that. Marlow’s in Issaquah has some antique jewelry/ diamonds. The lady (Debbie?) told me she has easy access to OECs when I asked about making my sapphire into a cluster ring. Maybe an option?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Oh forgot to add - never used them before. Was trying to make them my new jeweler if the pricing is right. So can’t vouch for them.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely beautiful. I love it the way it is, but also can see going bigger with your side stones. I’m sorry I’m no help. What would you do with your current side stones?

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Spring Day! I see you’ve been very busy again with your 3 stone...that is, busy contending with DSS, lol. I hear ya on this front.
Recall I had the same issue with my EC ring and resolved it with bigger sides. However, I’m now experiencing DSS with my OEC/OMC 3 stone...
and they’re not even set yet!!:wall:

I’m mulling over having single cuts on flared shanks to “extend” the bling factor since changing center would be costly.

In your case, however, I think your option of swapping out current sides for bigger ones is the best. But if not’s feasible, then adding smaller ones to make it a five stone is second best option. But that’s just my 2 cents. Like you, I prefer end to end coverage, but I’m partial to bigger sides. That’s just me. Either one will look gorge!

ETA: just to give you an idea of bigger sides unset. This set measures 19.22mm for size 6.5-7 (17.3 mm). Sides will be tucked and tilted when set. So I think that oughta do it.
Edited to change pic that shows side stones not tilted.

Attachments

• EE2149F3-2670-4090-97BD-30E4A73EEB2E.jpeg
    EE2149F3-2670-4090-97BD-30E4A73EEB2E.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your ring as it is, but I can see slightly enlarging the sides to 4.8 or 5mm. I wouldn't do a 5 stone. I really think that would take away from your center stone having 5, but that's just me!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Oh right, I think it has come up before that we’re in the same general area... I really had OWD or I&R in mind when I typed that. Marlow’s in Issaquah has some antique jewelry/ diamonds. The lady (Debbie?) told me she has easy access to OECs when I asked about making my sapphire into a cluster ring. Maybe an option?

Oh forgot to add - never used them before. Was trying to make them my new jeweler if the pricing is right. So can’t vouch for them.

I've never heard of Marlow's. Probably cuz the only time I have stopped at Issaquah is to put in gas on to way or to grab a snack. I didn't know there was an antique jewelry store there.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely beautiful. I love it the way it is, but also can see going bigger with your side stones. I’m sorry I’m no help. What would you do with your current side stones?

Thank you! I guess it depends on what I decide to go with. Stay with a 3-stone or go with a 5. If I do go with the 3, I would probably end up selling it to offset the price. And, end up selling my setting as well.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Spring Day! I see you’ve been very busy again with your 3 stone...that is, busy contending with DSS, lol. I hear ya on this front.
Recall I had the same issue with my EC ring and resolved it with bigger sides. However, I’m now experiencing DSS with my OEC/OMC 3 stone...
and they’re not even set yet!!:wall:

I’m mulling over having single cuts on flared shanks to “extend” the bling factor since changing center would be costly.

In your case, however, I think your option of swapping out current sides for bigger ones is the best. But if not’s feasible, then adding smaller ones to make it a five stone is second best option. But that’s just my 2 cents. Like you, I prefer end to end coverage, but I’m partial to bigger sides. That’s just me. Either one will look gorge!

ETA: just to give you an idea of bigger sides unset. This set measures 19.22mm for size 6.5-7 (17.3 mm). Sides will be tucked and tilted when set. So I think that oughta do it.
Edited to change pic that shows side stones not tilted.

Haha, hi @maita13! Yup, its me again with the DSS! And yes! I remember about your EC ring! Funny that DSS is setting in and they haven't even been set yet. I get ya though, I kinda had the same thing happen when I first got these stones.
Your single cuts idea sounds good. Sucks that costs always have to factor into these things, don't they? Your ring is gonna be gorgeous!!

My actual ring measures 16.19mm, opposed to the 16.67 it equals out to when you add all the stones. And approximately 18mm with the bigger sides, so factoring the tilt lets say its 17.5mm or so. I still don't think that's going to be enough. But, adding 5mm stones to the mix and making a 5-stone, the stones measure out to be 26.6. Not sure how many mm I would need to subtract from this since its going to be much more rounded than a 3-stone sitting on top of my finger. I do know that I do not like stones that stick out past the finger. But, I see that you are giving yourself about 2mm on your own finger for your OEC/OMC ring.

Grace actually has a 3-stone that I absolutely love and I actually like the setting and how the stones are set flush with one another instead of tucked. (I may do this next time around). And I love the proportions. The center is 8.69-8.92mm and the sides are about 5mm on a size 6.75. I love the finger coverage but trying to get that on my finger is the obstacle. I have 19mm of finger to work with. I wish I had a wax mold or was good at photoshop so that I could figure out what is going on in my head.
IMG_8843.jpg IMG_8842.jpg IMG_8841.jpg

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I like your ring as it is, but I can see slightly enlarging the sides to 4.8 or 5mm. I wouldn't do a 5 stone. I really think that would take away from your center stone having 5, but that's just me!

Thanks DS. You think it'll still take away from the center even though the side stones are so much smaller? I know my side stones are smaller now, but I never look at them, I'm always starting at my center. I am leaning a bit more towards a 5-stone because of the finger coverage. Of course, if I went the 5-stone route, all the stones would be tucked and tilted unlike the pictures of Grace's I was referencing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really explain it, but I love a three stone, but I only like 5 when it's a band of 5 similar size smaller stones or a very slight taper. Like .30s or .40s.

I really think you'll be happier with 2 larger sides. I love that antique ring you posted of Grace's. I think I need to save that for my own inspiration file! I hadn't really seen side stones that small put at the height of the center stone, but it really works with that style setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results