shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk about the possibility of changing up my 3-stone

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! Sending healing vibes to your cat.

Yes on bigger sides. I think if you go for drama, you will only do it once.

I will wait patiently to see what you come up with.
Thank you for the healing vibes! He actually ate some food this morning!

Of course!! Anytime. I don't mind at all. Thank you for the nice compliments. Yes, I love it from every angle because the OECS all have their own little personality traits and they draw you in.
Yay! Thank you so much! Enjoy your beautiful ring!

Love bigger sides! Can’t wait to see it. Hope your kitty feels better...
Thank you! We think it’s something with his lungs because he was having a hard time breathing but hopefully he’s on the mend.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no!! I hope furbaby feels better quickly - I know how scary that is :(sad

Your ring is photogenic! But I also know that the one-eyed camera sees the world differently. If it isn’t making you smile in-person - change ‘em up, change ‘em up ::)

Any plans for who you’ll have do the mount? Back to Sako? :love:

Hahaha yesss change ‘em up! Thanks for the encouragement! Or is it instigating LOL
I don’t think I’ll use Sako this time as much as I enjoyed working with him. I want to have free reign to be able to tweak my CADs as much as I like until I feel like it’s perfect so I’m going to go with DK. Plus, he’s been such a sport. I’ve probably asked them for quotes on so many projects that never came to fruition but they’re always so kind and patient.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Dammit. Why did you show me this! I thought I had my mind made up!

:roll: Gurl, I get it! There are soooo many scrumptious rings out there. I want one of each!

I will say, I do think you are onto something with delicious, BIG OEC sides. If you want KAPOW and presence, I wonder if rose cuts might not do it for ya. Now, I also love the small sides as much as the rest of them too, I have them for myself in a similar ratio, just smaller...but I really think bigger sides, with more prominent facets and finger coverage will really flatter your hand as well, give you the "I could stare into these facets forever" but ALL across your whole finger! How will you ever get anything done again? :lol: And especially given the style of setting (if you are going to stick with that)...definitely. I think I also see exactly what you are talking about with it "showing well in photos" - but can imagine it doesn't quite give you want you want coverage-wise IRL. It is gorgeous, truly, but delicate.

I am also on the plain band train. It's all I want next to my 3-stone too.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
:roll: Gurl, I get it! There are soooo many scrumptious rings out there. I want one of each!

I will say, I do think you are onto something with delicious, BIG OEC sides. If you want KAPOW and presence, I wonder if rose cuts might not do it for ya. Now, I also love the small sides as much as the rest of them too, I have them for myself in a similar ratio, just smaller...but I really think bigger sides, with more prominent facets and finger coverage will really flatter your hand as well, give you the "I could stare into these facets forever" but ALL across your whole finger! How will you ever get anything done again? :lol: And especially given the style of setting (if you are going to stick with that)...definitely. I think I also see exactly what you are talking about with it "showing well in photos" - but can imagine it doesn't quite give you want you want coverage-wise IRL. It is gorgeous, truly, but delicate.

I am also on the plain band train. It's all I want next to my 3-stone too.

Yes! Exactly! So many facets all across the finger! I would be able to see every single chunky monkey coming off those bad boys! Man, I better plan ahead since all my focus is gonna be at staring at my ring. Gotta save money, quit my job, sell my house and find a cave with great lighting and hunker down. Just normal stuff people do when it comes to jewelry. LOL.

And yes on the plain band. I feel like since 3-stones give you so much coverage getting a blingy band just takes away. I remember when I tried on my 3 stone with my frenchie I sold and some blingy bands at a store, my 3-stone actually looked smaller. Of course that’s not what we want :)

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Now who’s telling my fiancé I’m doing this?

You want me to tell him that ”happy wife, happy life?!!” Or that if he knows what’s good for him, he better get his woman what she needs and deserves! Let me know ’cause I won’t, yanno:lol:

Seriously though, I’m glad you’re going for bigger sides. I don’t know if you’re interested but I think worth mentioning that I’m mulling over selling my earrings. If curious or interested, I’ll post feelers on proper forum.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It really is a great example! I love her ring so much! I think if I get bigger sides, I could probably even go down to N or OP since they’re smaller than the center. Man, my sides started off at 5mm and now they’ve jumped to 6mm+. It’s like last time when I got a car, I told myself i would only spend $ amount of money but then after researching I ended up spending $$$. But that’s ok! Diamonds are more important that cars haha!

Yes, you can likely go down in color for the smaller stones, just make sure you are either able to view them with a return policy OR are getting such a bargain they won't be hard to unload on LoupeTroop. Old cuts are super variable in their face-up color depending on how they are cut, I have an estimated WX that faces up as white as GIA Ms in modern cuts, and have seen Ms that face up yellowish.

I would recommend against rose cuts for your purpose because they have a subdued sparkle, but there are a lot of other stones that would work, from late and round OMCs through OECs through transitionals.

By the way, I looked more closely at your delicious center stone and it's a doppelgänger for the stone I wore as my engagement ring for 12 years which is now going into earrings. I would personally call it an early transitional with the small table and incredible chunky arrows. I LOVE that cut and yours looks so amazing!

Best wishes for your kitty's recovery!!

When you are ready to remount the stone, your existing mounting would look amazing with a colored stone or be very easy to sell, it really is gorgeous!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
You want me to tell him that ”happy wife, happy life?!!” Or that if he knows what’s good for him, he better get his woman what she needs and deserves! Let me know ’cause I won’t, yanno:lol:

Seriously though, I’m glad you’re going for bigger sides. I don’t know if you’re interested but I think worth mentioning that I’m mulling over selling my earrings. If curious or interested, I’ll post feelers on proper forum.

Yes, that sounds good. Does next weekend sound ok to you? I’ll make finger sandwiches and you can sit him down and explain to him how the only thing that matters is my happiness and my happiness alone. :lol-2:

Oh, @maita13, that is enticing. I am curious and interested. Could I have some more information about them? I wasn’t ready to purchase quite yet but if the price is right...

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you can likely go down in color for the smaller stones, just make sure you are either able to view them with a return policy OR are getting such a bargain they won't be hard to unload on LoupeTroop. Old cuts are super variable in their face-up color depending on how they are cut, I have an estimated WX that faces up as white as GIA Ms in modern cuts, and have seen Ms that face up yellowish.

I would recommend against rose cuts for your purpose because they have a subdued sparkle, but there are a lot of other stones that would work, from late and round OMCs through OECs through transitionals.

By the way, I looked more closely at your delicious center stone and it's a doppelgänger for the stone I wore as my engagement ring for 12 years which is now going into earrings. I would personally call it an early transitional with the small table and incredible chunky arrows. I LOVE that cut and yours looks so amazing!

Best wishes for your kitty's recovery!!

When you are ready to remount the stone, your existing mounting would look amazing with a colored stone or be very easy to sell, it really is gorgeous!

It’s so weird that old cuts do that with color. That’s one of the reasons I find them to be so intriguing. I can’t beeline your WX faces up like an M in modern cut! The wonder of antique stones!

Aww that makes me happy that we have doppelgänger stones! I would also categorize my stone as an early transitional even though it was sold to me as an OEC.

That was my concern too for rosecuts. As beautiful as they are and as much as I get drawn in by them, I did hear that they have less sparkle than their OEC or OMC counterparts. And I just can’t seem to get over my love for OECs. It’s probably the longest, healthiest relationship I’ve had thus far!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that sounds good. Does next weekend sound ok to you? I’ll make finger sandwiches and you can sit him down and explain to him how the only thing that matters is my happiness and my happiness alone. :lol-2:

Oh, @maita13, that is enticing. I am curious and interested. Could I have some more information about them? I wasn’t ready to purchase quite yet but if the price is right...

:lol-2: Yep, your happiness is and should be the most important thing in the world:lol-2:

About the stones, they’re now set in antique 18k earrings. I bought these separately to make a 3 stone but was not happy with the proportions. Si sold the center and set the remaining 2 into this Victorian earrings that previously held table cut stones.

Here they are as a part of a 3 stone:
0B17C3FB-26B3-46F4-9488-FCC0EC198C37.jpeg
Here they are as earrings:
6DAF6694-16D4-45BE-ADD2-F1996C004948.jpeg 4C77DAE0-A2C2-4B0E-8F04-150B57F8B27F.jpeg

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day,

They're both GIA certified.

1.07ct VS1 O-P 6.30-6.44x4.11
1.03 ct VS1 Q-R 6.21-6.45x3.87

I haven’t settled on a price yet. I was thinking along the lines of $4900.
Hope this helps.

ETA: For perspective on color, the center stone that is flanked by the pair is a color M which is now owned by another PSer.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Spring Day,

Hope this helps.

ETA: For perspective on color, the center stone that is flanked by the pair is a color M which is now owned by another PSer.

Omg those are amazing! And great price

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
:lol-2: Yep, your happiness is and should be the most important thing in the world:lol-2:

About the stones, they’re now set in antique 18k earrings. I bought these separately to make a 3 stone but was not happy with the proportions. Si sold the center and set the remaining 2 into this Victorian earrings that previously held table cut stones.

Here they are as a part of a 3 stone:
0B17C3FB-26B3-46F4-9488-FCC0EC198C37.jpeg
Here they are as earrings:
6DAF6694-16D4-45BE-ADD2-F1996C004948.jpeg 4C77DAE0-A2C2-4B0E-8F04-150B57F8B27F.jpeg

@Spring Day,

Hope this helps.

These are beautiful @maita13! I'll go comment on your actual preloved thread!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
What do we think of this stone? 226E30DC-1309-4249-8C2E-937C0B6A3F62.jpeg
FBDB56FE-1630-4366-8844-FA059D8EBB12.jpeg

My stone for reference: 4D118053-C61E-4100-9FEB-E15C481A1BE4.jpeg

Facet pattern wise I think it matches up well. One of the things I am concerned of is the color.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
What do we think of this stone? 226E30DC-1309-4249-8C2E-937C0B6A3F62.jpeg
FBDB56FE-1630-4366-8844-FA059D8EBB12.jpeg

My stone for reference: 4D118053-C61E-4100-9FEB-E15C481A1BE4.jpeg

Facet pattern wise I think it matches up well. One of the things I am concerned of is the color.

Best way is to ask them for a video.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
The facet pattern is a great match for your stone. The J may look lighter than your L since it's also smaller in size, but the only way to tell would be to see it in person next to your stone. So return policy, or if no returns, make sure it's a terrific bargain you can resell easily.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
The facet pattern is a great match for your stone. The J may look lighter than your L since it's also smaller in size, but the only way to tell would be to see it in person next to your stone. So return policy, or if no returns, make sure it's a terrific bargain you can resell easily.

Thanks! I’m gonna pass on it. After sleeping on it, I just don’t think the J will work.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many threads have been about proportions for 3-stones and it REALLY is in the eye of the beholder. Your ring looks like the epitome of elegant, but for me personally, I favor the look of larger side stones. 0FA70DFB-48B8-4BDF-B790-FFEA4B4932F5.jpeg

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
So many threads have been about proportions for 3-stones and it REALLY is in the eye of the beholder. Your ring looks like the epitome of elegant, but for me personally, I favor the look of larger side stones. 0FA70DFB-48B8-4BDF-B790-FFEA4B4932F5.jpeg

Your ring is beautiful! I’m really am liking bigger sides now. Especially in all OECs. Plus, I don’t need elegant. I want to blind someone across the room LOL. I cut out a little mock up on paper and I liked the finger coverage! Thanks @motownmama!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! I’m really am liking bigger sides now. Especially in all OECs. Plus, I don’t need elegant. I want to blind someone across the room LOL. I cut out a little mock up on paper and I liked the finger coverage! Thanks @motownmama!

’Atta girl!! Yay for bigger sides! Nothing else to do at 2am so was trawling ebay for a steal and saw this from Ivy & Rose. Perhaps a contender for side stone?

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Taking inspiration from @HS4S_2 (whose ring I simply adore) who has side stones warmer than the center, these two could be contenders if you’re not a stickler for absolute uniformity:

Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
’Atta girl!! Yay for bigger sides! Nothing else to do at 2am so was trawling ebay for a steal and saw this from Ivy & Rose. Perhaps a contender for side stone?

Taking inspiration from @HS4S_2 (whose ring I simply adore) who has side stones warmer than the center, these two could be contenders if you’re not a stickler for absolute uniformity:

Yes! I’m on the train and there’s no getting off! Thank you for finding these for me! That was very sweet of you! @ForteKitty sent me a stone that’s a little over a ct and an M color that I bought that might be a contender for my first side! I thought maybe I could go as low as OP or QR but upon second thought the tint might bother me. There’s no doubt in my mind that @HS4S_2 ’s ring is BEAUTIFUL! But may not be right for me.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I’m on the train and there’s no getting off! Thank you for finding these for me! That was very sweet of you! @ForteKitty sent me a stone that’s a little over a ct and an M color that I bought that might be a contender for my first side! I thought maybe I could go as low as OP or QR but upon second thought the tint might bother me. There’s no doubt in my mind that @HS4S_2 ’s ring is BEAUTIFUL! But may not be right for me.

That’s awesome, @Spring Day! Can’t go wrong with any of ForteKitty’s stones. Super excited for you! Can’t wait what you come up with! Best of luck and don’t forget to keep us apprised of any update, pls.

ETA: That Ivy & Rose stone is an M, btw.

ETA2: I think @winnietucker has an L for sale?

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
That’s awesome, @Spring Day! Can’t go wrong with any of ForteKitty’s stones. Super excited for you! Can’t wait what you come up with! Best of luck and don’t forget to keep us apprised of any update, pls.

ETA: That Ivy & Rose stone is an M, btw.

ETA2: I think @winnietucker has an L for sale?
It is an M! But sadly doesn’t match with the one I already bought. It’s a teensy bit too small. And yes, yes she does, and I wish I would have bought it when she had did that flash sale at $2900. Alas it’s with Grace now for $4400.

eta: oh you know I’m gonna come here as soon as I get the stone with pics! Who else am I gonna bother about ratios and dimensions and tilt angles?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results