shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege owners - did you get a LM box?

Did you get a special Leon Mege box with your LM piece?

• Sure I did! I got a quality box to match the quality product!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 4:04:51 PM
Author: vslover
Date: 8/5/2008 3:59:18 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
VERY OT: I''m not a Leon expert, Leon lover, or Leon hater but I think it''s funny how some PSers seem to give LM some sort of immunity from bad reviews and want to tell other PSers what they are allowed to say/shouldn''t say/can say/etc. about him. No other jewelry store, designer, etc. enjoys this type of immunity and protection on PS...I find that odd... Thank goodness for all of the honest reviews because NOW PSers actually know what they are possibly getting into with LM and what (not) to expect.
I have seen lots of posters get flamed/slammed because they gave a negative report on an experience with Whiteflash as well. I don''t understand it, personally...all those companies are out to make a buck...none of us should feel an inherent loyalty to any of them.
This thread has made me go
23.gif
a lot. And mostly for the reasons stated above. It seems to me as though CR and Ellen have both stated their problems with the "master" and did so in a fair way-and I HAVE read through both threads thoroughly, even though I did not post. I do not have the $$$ to deal with Leon, but even if I did, I do not think I would go to him, unless I lived in NYC and could meet with the man personally.

Regarding the box issue. How much do the crap boxes cost anyway? Buy them bulk for $1 a piece or so? That is pathetic from a man who takes such great pride in his work. He doesn''t even bother to put his name in there anywhere. There is a local maul store here, Mati, that sells handmade jewelry. My friend bought a $100 peridot/sterling silver ring from them-and it came in a beautiful tan suede box that opened in the middle and the top part went to the left and right. I''m willing to bet that that box cost at least 10-20% of what the ring did. I was flabbergasted at how fancy it was and thought that surely she had made a mistake, because the box looks like it should hold something way fancier than it did.

As much as you guys want to argue it, the box is part of the package. Would I be disappointed to receive an engagement ring in a box that I could buy at a dollar store? Yes, you bet your crap bag I would. Perhaps not initially, but when I want to put my ring away for safe keeping, and look at that pathetic box-I''ll go to Mati and buy a cheap ring just so I can get one of their fabulous boxes to keep my ring in.

As the artistic type as well, if I were a jeweler who takes as much pride in my work as to HIRE a professional photographer to take pictures of my goods to show them at their best, you can bet your booty I''d have a fabulous box. That box would take as much, if not more research and development than at least one ring. And if I were catering to NBA/NFL/NHL/whatever stars, I''d have different types of boxes for each type of ring. Stock jewelry-one box. Custom work for non celeb-another box. Celeb work-another box. And the cheapy boxes would be the transport from my bench to the jewelry store it was being sold at-providing they had their own boxes to sell it in.

I have respect for the man who can make such beautiful items, but I have disrespect for the man who treats his customers poorly and doesn''t care about the entire package. Because to a certain extent, it isn''t just about the end result, but the entire process.

BTW TGal-when you said crap bag-it reminded me of the Friends episode where Phoebe wants to change her name to Princess Consuela BananaHammock and Mike tells her if she''s going to do that, he''s going to change his name to Crap Bag. I was giggling for a bit there....

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 4:27:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild

VERY OT: I'm not a Leon expert, Leon lover, or Leon hater but I think it's funny how some PSers seem to give LM some sort of immunity from bad reviews and want to tell other PSers what they are allowed to say/shouldn't say/can say/etc. about him. No other jewelry store, designer, etc. enjoys this type of immunity and protection on PS...I find that odd... Thank goodness for all of the honest reviews because NOW PSers actually know what they are possibly getting into with LM and what (not) to expect.
I have seen lots of posters get flamed/slammed because they gave a negative report on an experience with Whiteflash as well. I don't understand it, personally...all those companies are out to make a buck...none of us should feel an inherent loyalty to any of them.
This thread has made me go
23.gif
a lot. And mostly for the reasons stated above. It seems to me as though CR and Ellen have both stated their problems with the 'master' and did so in a fair way-and I HAVE read through both threads thoroughly, even though I did not post. I do not have the $$$ to deal with Leon, but even if I did, I do not think I would go to him, unless I lived in NYC and could meet with the man personally.

Regarding the box issue. How much do the crap boxes cost anyway? Buy them bulk for $1 a piece or so? That is pathetic from a man who takes such great pride in his work. He doesn't even bother to put his name in there anywhere. There is a local maul store here, Mati, that sells handmade jewelry. My friend bought a $100 peridot/sterling silver ring from them-and it came in a beautiful tan suede box that opened in the middle and the top part went to the left and right. I'm willing to bet that that box cost at least 10-20% of what the ring did. I was flabbergasted at how fancy it was and thought that surely she had made a mistake, because the box looks like it should hold something way fancier than it did.

As much as you guys want to argue it, the box is part of the package. Would I be disappointed to receive an engagement ring in a box that I could buy at a dollar store? Yes, you bet your crap bag I would. Perhaps not initially, but when I want to put my ring away for safe keeping, and look at that pathetic box-I'll go to Mati and buy a cheap ring just so I can get one of their fabulous boxes to keep my ring in.

As the artistic type as well, if I were a jeweler who takes as much pride in my work as to HIRE a professional photographer to take pictures of my goods to show them at their best, you can bet your booty I'd have a fabulous box. That box would take as much, if not more research and development than at least one ring. And if I were catering to NBA/NFL/NHL/whatever stars, I'd have different types of boxes for each type of ring. Stock jewelry-one box. Custom work for non celeb-another box. Celeb work-another box. And the cheapy boxes would be the transport from my bench to the jewelry store it was being sold at-providing they had their own boxes to sell it in.

I have respect for the man who can make such beautiful items, but I have disrespect for the man who treats his customers poorly and doesn't care about the entire package. Because to a certain extent, it isn't just about the end result, but the entire process.

BTW TGal-when you said crap bag-it reminded me of the Friends episode where Phoebe wants to change her name to Princess Consuela BananaHammock and Mike tells her if she's going to do that, he's going to change his name to Crap Bag. I was giggling for a bit there....
Freke, Very well said!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Would this thread deter any of you from buying a Leon piece?

Ironic how this is giving him a lot of free press- maybe he''s smart not to post here!

If I had never seen his pieces before (which I HAVE online), I would guess he created the Sistine Chapel in everything he touched! haha
3.gif

This thread made me laugh and feel sad at the same time, but I keep coming back!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I wasn't so loyal to WF (shock horror! I love Whiteflash!) this thread wouldn't put me off going to Leon.

Leon himself would put me off going to Leon.
9.gif

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
My question is what are these mysterious stock Leon pieces that go along with the fabulous boxes? No sign of them on his website. What am I missing?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 4:49:10 PM
Author: Jelly

Ironic how this is giving him a lot of free press- maybe he''s smart not to post here!

If I had never seen his pieces before (which I HAVE online), I would guess he created the Sistine Chapel in everything he touched! haha
3.gif

This thread made me laugh and feel sad at the same time, but I keep coming back!
Not at all. The man makes some stunning stuff. I''ll take it, ziplock and all.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 5:03:50 PM
Author: joflier

3.gif

Not in the least. This man work is extraordinary beautiful and he has an ''eye'' for putting stones with settings that take IMO jewellery to the next dimension. Plus his prices are amazingly reasonable when compared to what we pay in Australia.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

VERY OT: I''m not a Leon expert, Leon lover, or Leon hater but I think it''s funny how some PSers seem to give LM some sort of immunity from bad reviews and want to tell other PSers what they are allowed to say/shouldn''t say/can say/etc. about him. No other jewelry store, designer, etc. enjoys this type of immunity and protection on PS...I find that odd... Thank goodness for all of the honest reviews because NOW PSers actually know what they are possibly getting into with LM and what (not) to expect.

I have seen lots of posters get flamed/slammed because they gave a negative report on an experience with Whiteflash as well. I don''t understand it, personally...all those companies are out to make a buck...none of us should feel an inherent loyalty to any of them.
I can''t actually remember any negative reports on Whiteflash that were slammed. I do remember a few where someone didn''t bother to follow through with telephones calls to resolve, and posted rather prematurely. PS''rs typically suggest that the OP contact Whiteflash for speedy resolution. Everyone can post whatever they like, but for myself, I prefer to have exhausted all reasonable attempts to resolve prior to posting a complaint. Once upper management at Whiteflash refuses to resolve an issue, I would feel free to vent at will.
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 4:58:04 PM
Author: Maisie
If I wasn''t so loyal to WF (shock horror! I love Whiteflash!) this thread wouldn''t put me off going to Leon.

9.gif
Ditto. Not to mention I''m not a big fan of pave.
3.gif

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 7:06:35 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 8/5/2008 4:58:04 PM
Author: Maisie
If I wasn''t so loyal to WF (shock horror! I love Whiteflash!) this thread wouldn''t put me off going to Leon.

9.gif
Ditto. Not to mention I''m not a big fan of pave.
3.gif
i agree, he put me off ever since the first time i called him to ask about a custom piece.
i dont know what it was but he had some kind of arrogant attitude that he just didnt feel like working with us.
maybe he thought i wasnt going to spend enough money with him

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I doubt it has anything to do with money. I''ve only asked for a couple of quotes and both times he was extremely polite (in the $6K range).

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 6:39:54 PM
Author: katebar
Date: 8/5/2008 5:03:50 PM

3.gif

Not in the least. This man work is extraordinary beautiful and he has an ''eye'' for putting stones with settings that take IMO jewellery to the next dimension. Plus his prices are amazingly reasonable when compared to what we pay in Australia.

Ditto, more then reasonable and the work s beautiful :), the prices here are absurd I can''t wait to finally receive my LM piece though if it comes in a baggie I might have to get snarky.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

Tis true... there appear to be some staunch Leon groupies, just as there are also people here who will defend WF as if they were family! It''s not necessarily very helpful when someone might want to share the negatives, as well as the positives, regarding what is really a business transaction

And I''ll just WORD Miss Freke. No need to repeat all of her brilliance.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I have to say, the Ziploc baggie is just WAY over the line!
38.gif

It''s bad enough that he sends his creations out to their new owners in cheapo boxes, but a ZIPLOC FREAKIN'' BAGGIE?!?! Come ON!!!
32.gif

IMO, his lack of care about the packaging of his product shows a lack of respect for his customer, a lack of respect for the meaning of the piece (which is often to commemorate an important event and/or relationship), and a lack of respect for his own work. To me, this is just completely unacceptable.
7.gif

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all... I know I''ve been absent from PS lately but here are some comments I got from the source today regarding the infamous boxes. My apologies if I am repeating something already said.

This is how it was explained to me: If I go shopping for a suit at Macy''s, the store will provide me with a nice garment bag for my suit. However, If I go to a tailor to alter a suit, there is no nice packaging. Leon describes himself as the "tailor" for all of us who have brought center stones for him to set. The wooden boxes are for those pieces which were entirely bought from him (Center stone & setting).

I really don''t have any personal opinion on this as I don''t really mind having a 99 cent box - Who cares????. As long as he signs the piece, I''m OK with it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 9:43:12 PM
Author: lesco
Hi all... I know I''ve been absent from PS lately but here are some comments I got from the source today regarding the infamous boxes. My apologies if I am repeating something already said.

This is how it was explained to me: If I go shopping for a suit at Macy''s, the store will provide me with a nice garment bag for my suit. However, If I go to a tailor to alter a suit, there is no nice packaging. Leon describes himself as the ''tailor'' for all of us who have brought center stones for him to set. The wooden boxes are for those pieces which were entirely bought from him (Center stone & setting).
Can''t exactly say the tailor comparison goes really either- Leon isn''t "fixing" (altering) your ring. He is creating it from scratch. I suspect if you went to someone for couture clothing (couldn''t say myself) that they don''t toss it in a plastic grocery bag when you pick it up.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 9:56:13 PM
Author: icekid

This is how it was explained to me: If I go shopping for a suit at Macy''s, the store will provide me with a nice garment bag for my suit. However, If I go to a tailor to alter a suit, there is no nice packaging. Leon describes himself as the ''tailor'' for all of us who have brought center stones for him to set. The wooden boxes are for those pieces which were entirely bought from him (Center stone & setting).
Can''t exactly say the tailor comparison goes really either- Leon isn''t ''fixing'' (altering) your ring. He is creating it from scratch. I suspect if you went to someone for couture clothing (couldn''t say myself) that they don''t toss it in a plastic grocery bag when you pick it up.
Hehehe .... You make some sense here. This is what I was told. To each his / her own. Right???? I choose to let the man think whatever he wants. I love his work so to me there is no one else I''ll rather hire for this job. We as consumers have the freedom to choose another vendor if we so desire. This is why I think all of these discussions are very positive. PS is all about informing the consumer,so we can make more educated choices. No one loses here, as long we keep on being nice to one another and respect all of the different opinions given.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I really don''t have any personal opinion on this as I don''t really mind having a 99 cent box - Who cares????. As long as he signs the piece, I''m OK with it.
Thankyou Lesco for getting that info.

robh505

Rough_Rock
Maybe because I''m a guy my perspective is a little different. But, I really can''t believe you all just created a 7 page thread complaining about how Leon gives you a cheap box that looks cheap, versus other vendors that give you a cheap box that looks a little nicer. I mean, really? Is it that big of a deal? Leon could give me my ring back in a pile of trash as long as the ring is as nice as advertised.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 9:54:08 AM
Author: robh505
Maybe because I''m a guy my perspective is a little different. But, I really can''t believe you all just created a 7 page thread complaining about how Leon gives you a cheap box that looks cheap, versus other vendors that give you a cheap box that looks a little nicer. I mean, really? Is it that big of a deal? Leon could give me my ring back in a pile of trash as long as the ring is as nice as advertised.
please actually read the content. There is alot of different stuff in between pg 1 and 7
5.gif
, and its not just about "complaining"..
40.gif

As with most other things here, it boils down to customer satisfaction and peer review of experience.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock

Well everyone has different opinions on what good costumer service is.

There''s been some serious discussions lately about his behaviour, and this just seems to add to it. And for many, this box-thing seems even more ridicilous (than it would''ve been otherwise). I just find this whole thing with him really ODD.

Delusions of grandeur. sigh.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 10:35:52 AM
Author: Lill_The_Thrill

Well everyone has different opinions on what good costumer service is.

There''s been some serious discussions lately about his behaviour, and this just seems to add to it. And for many, this box-thing seems even more ridicilous (than it would''ve been otherwise). I just find this whole thing with him really ODD.

Delusions of grandeur. sigh.

Lill, you nailed it! I think this is really his problem. He''s a legend in his own mind.
20.gif

robh505

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 10:41:10 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Lill, you nailed it! I think this is really his problem. He''s a legend in his own mind.
20.gif
And a legend to many people here.

I''ve read the thread and all of the others about him recently. As he is presently making my ring, I''ve been quite aware of issues people have had. In the spirit of the original post, maybe it''s just another way to vent some anger.

So far, my experience with Leon has been great. He answered the phone when I called, he promptly responded to my e-mail with the original design, he spent 45 minutes with me in person (the joys of living in NYC) going over all the details, now all I need is a ring to go with it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m surprised by how many people say he''s reasonable - seriously?! Maybe if you have 10k just sitting around with nothing to do! People like me that don''t roll in money would run screaming, and I did, the ONE time I got a quote from him. BS. I have LOTS of places I can go to that charge me far less and give just as admirable a piece.

Yes, I got a little offended there
20.gif
Sorry.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:10:20 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
I''m surprised by how many people say he''s reasonable - seriously?! Maybe if you have 10k just sitting around with nothing to do! People like me that don''t roll in money would run screaming, and I did, the ONE time I got a quote from him. BS. I have LOTS of places I can go to that charge me far less and give just as admirable a piece.

20.gif
Sorry.
I think its important to keep in mind that "reasonable" is all in the eye of the beholder, and because we''re all diverse in lifestyles, personal taste, etc, here on PS, that someone''s opinion of reasonable is going to be quite different from someone else''s.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I''ve said this before on this forum, but my wedding band from LM cost less than the comparable band from WF. And the engagement ring (a custom flush-fit solitaire with a surprise sapphire) was comparable in price to the Vatché settings we considered as an alternative before we decided to go with LM.

The money we left with LM was not small change to us and we would have liked a nice box to go with the beautiful rings we received, but we aren''t going to lose sleep over it. I do think a nicer box than the one we got would be nice, but that''s just my opinion and Leon is free to make his own decisions, even if they''re ones I wouldn''t make were it my business.

robh505

Rough_Rock
Yikes, I wonder what you wanted that cost $10k? Cost of labor for my ring is well under 50% of that price and the price for melee is what it is.

Furthermore, there is no shade of grey in my view of responsiveness and curteousness (if that's even a word) or reasonableness. He took the time to explain to me what design elements worked in what I showed him, what he recommended changing, and we came up with a final sketch that will hopefully turn into a beautiful ring.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:21:22 AM

Date: 8/6/2008 11:10:20 AM
Author: MonkeyPie

20.gif
Sorry.
I think its important to keep in mind that ''reasonable'' is all in the eye of the beholder, and because we''re all diverse in lifestyles, personal taste, etc, here on PS, that someone''s opinion of reasonable is going to be quite different from someone else''s.
Sigh...I know. I guess there could be a little bitterness in my post, but when I got a quote from him for my EC setting, the price he gave me was three times what I got quoted elsewhere. And yeah, it was pave, so I knew it wouldn''t be cheap, but jeebus. I nearly threw up.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to jump in and say that I did get the nice Leon box when I bought the yellow and white band.

Also, he was very nice to me when a project I have been working on hit a snag or two. He made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I couldn''t have asked for him to be more gracious and helpful. I hope not to experience what many of you have talked about!
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

3.gif

Yeah, no kidding. If I ever decide to be a jeweler, I''m going to send the finished product to the customer ducttaped to a piece of cardboard...that would get em talkin!

Freke, you said,

"As much as you guys want to argue it, the box is part of the package. Would I be disappointed to receive an engagement ring in a box that I could buy at a dollar store? Yes, you bet your crap bag I would. Perhaps not initially, but when I want to put my ring away for safe keeping, and look at that pathetic box-I''ll go to Mati and buy a cheap ring just so I can get one of their fabulous boxes to keep my ring in."

I respectfully disagree. The box is part of the package to SOME of us. Not all of us care, and don''t consider it to be part of the package at all. You would be disappointed. I would not. Different strokes for different folks, which is what this thread has definitely shown. BTW, I never saw that episode of friends (stopped watching TV somewhere in the 90''s.)
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results