shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege owners - did you get a LM box?

Did you get a special Leon Mege box with your LM piece?

• Sure I did! I got a quality box to match the quality product!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:10:20 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
I''m surprised by how many people say he''s reasonable - seriously?! Maybe if you have 10k just sitting around with nothing to do! People like me that don''t roll in money would run screaming, and I did, the ONE time I got a quote from him. BS. I have LOTS of places I can go to that charge me far less and give just as admirable a piece.

Yes, I got a little offended there
20.gif
Sorry.
He isn''t reasonable because I have $10K sitting around, he''s reasonable because I had Whiteflash (who I love) quote two ring settings ( 3 stone tapered baguette custom size and a halo''d pave with pink diamonds), and I had Leon quote the same.

Leon Mege was less expensive in BOTH cases. One by about $600 and one by $100-200. I forget the exact number. But less expensive.

Both rings were around $5K to $6k in platinum.

Like him or hate him, Leon is NOT an expensive overpriced bench for custom work.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 1:03:24 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Freke, you said,

'As much as you guys want to argue it, the box is part of the package. Would I be disappointed to receive an engagement ring in a box that I could buy at a dollar store? Yes, you bet your crap bag I would. Perhaps not initially, but when I want to put my ring away for safe keeping, and look at that pathetic box-I'll go to Mati and buy a cheap ring just so I can get one of their fabulous boxes to keep my ring in.'

I respectfully disagree. The box is part of the package to SOME of us. Not all of us care, and don't consider it to be part of the package at all. You would be disappointed. I would not. Different strokes for different folks, which is what this thread has definitely shown. BTW, I never saw that episode of friends (stopped watching TV somewhere in the 90's.)
41.gif
Well I'm going to respectfully disagree right back at ya. It is part of the package- but it's the customer's perception that makes it important or not. Which is, in a way, what you said.

Would having a cool box make that piece of jewelry just a little bit more special? Before this thread, if BF got my ering made by Leon, and presented it in the made in China box, I would have wanted to know where the *real* Leon box was. Now I know that I shouldn't ever have that expectation.

For me, yes it is important. From this website, I have gleaned that Mr. Mege is the master of claw prongs and pave. Not just great at them but substantially better than you can get anywhere else. Personally, to me the package is something that counts. I probably never would have thought about this if it weren't for this thread-probably part of the reason I didn't go into marketing, but packaging is important to the consumer. Who here has saved Tiffany bags, Harry Winston bags, Cartier bags, bags from any other fancy or expensive stores? That, depending on the person carrying it, can be a status symbol. I still have my Tiffany bag-but that's because I'm a lazy @$$ who hasn't bothered to throw it away.

Now the box is different. The way Leon treats the box is different. Obviously he picks and chooses who the boxes go to or don't go to. It's not often that someone really looks at the box besides the owner, so it isn't really a status symbol. And most normal laypeople don't know who Leon is (the only reason I do is because of PS), but perhaps this is different elsewhere, so the box has no real advertising value because he doesn't have a widely known brand.

Here's a funky analogy I thought of yesterday, because I'm a cook. Say you go to a restaurant for dessert. You order the creme brulee-it costs about $20, while elsewhere it costs $15. You've heard that this creme brulee is out of this world fantastic and perfect in every way. You've heard that the pastry chef is eccentric, but gets away with it because he's so brilliant. Your creme brulee comes out, and at the same time another creme brulee comes out and goes to another table. Your creme brulee is in a dish that's UGLY-looks like it's from the 70s, all brown and old looking-and its on a plain old white plate. The other creme brulee that went elsewhere is not only in a beautiful white porcelain dish, but is also on top of a beautifully folded napkin on top of another plain white plate. Its the same creme brulee, fantastic and wonderful, but the presentation is lacking for you, but not for the other person who got it. You think to yourself, well how come I didn't get the one in the porcelain dish with the folded napkin? But there isn't really a reason that exists besides, "The master deemed it so."

My question for Leon is, why have a nice fancy box at all if the vast majority (which seems to be true from the reports in this thread) doesn't receive one? I don't perceive that buying the stone from him is really a reasonable answer.

Regardless, the box is not going to sell me on Leon or not sell me on Leon. It makes me question him, and chalk up another idiosyncrasies to the man's personality and business practices. As has been said before, the man himself is enough to not sell me on a Leon.

TGal-if you happen to catch any Friends episodes, that one is pretty funny. Oh heck, here's the Youtube link-it's right after Phoebe and Mike have gotten married and the clip is just over 2 minutes: Princess Consuela and Crap Bag

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 1:45:50 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Now the box is different. The way Leon treats the box is different. Obviously he picks and chooses who the boxes go to or don''t go to. It''s not often that someone really looks at the box besides the owner, so it isn''t really a status symbol. And most normal laypeople don''t know who Leon is (the only reason I do is because of PS), but perhaps this is different elsewhere, so the box has no real advertising value because he doesn''t have a widely known brand.

Here''s a funky analogy I thought of yesterday, because I''m a cook. Say you go to a restaurant for dessert. You order the creme brulee-it costs about $20, while elsewhere it costs $15. You''ve heard that this creme brulee is out of this world fantastic and perfect in every way. You''ve heard that the pastry chef is eccentric, but gets away with it because he''s so brilliant. Your creme brulee comes out, and at the same time another creme brulee comes out and goes to another table. Your creme brulee is in a dish that''s UGLY-looks like it''s from the 70s, all brown and old looking-and its on a plain old white plate. The other creme brulee that went elsewhere is not only in a beautiful white porcelain dish, but is also on top of a beautifully folded napkin on top of another plain white plate. Its the same creme brulee, fantastic and wonderful, but the presentation is lacking for you, but not for the other person who got it. You think to yourself, well how come I didn''t get the one in the porcelain dish with the folded napkin? But there isn''t really a reason that exists besides, ''The master deemed it so.''

TGal-if you happen to catch any Friends episodes, that one is pretty funny. Oh heck, here''s the Youtube link-it''s right after Phoebe and Mike have gotten married and the clip is just over 2 minutes: Princess Consuela and Crap Bag
A ha! I can respectfully disagree again! Hehehe.

He doesn''t pick and choose...I think it''s established now that stock pieces and rings where the entire thing including center stone is purchased from him gets the box. You buy one of those pieces, you apparently get the box.

So the creme brulee analogy doesn''t quite work. Now, if you bought your own ingredients and gave it to the chef to make vs the chef making it with all his own ingredients and it came out on two different plates (with the chef''s own ingredients getting the nicer plate), that would make more sense.

Thanks for the friends link...will watch it this evening!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Even if his boxes cost $20 each, why can''t he just add $20 to his quote to begin with. If his quote starts out as being $4520 intsead of $4500 is it going to make a difference to anyone? I agree that "the art you can wear" deserves to have a special box.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Also, one of the nicest boxes I have came with my Kimora Lee Simmons Hello Kitty watch. It''s pink velvet with purple inside, and also came with a little drawstring pouch. I''m sure that it was added in to the already inflated price of the watch, but it is totally cute, and adds to the enjoyment of the watch. yeah, I think a luxury item should come with a luxury box. Would a crappy box deter me from using LM -No. Would the several unhappy testimonials - Yes.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 9:29:27 AM
Author: Ellen
Harriet said Leon doesn''t post here because he doesn''t want to be upset. Well for heavens sake, all he has to do is treat all his customers with some respect, and he wouldn''t even need to read here.
Some respect? Really? Some respect? And people say *I''m* snarky. Your anger rings loud & clear.

I guess people want to state their opinions over and over and over again in every thread about Leon. So I''ll go too -- Don''t care about a box. Don''t care about bedside manner. Just want the BLING baby!!!!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 6:14:24 PM

He doesn''t pick and choose...I think it''s established now that stock pieces and rings where the entire thing including center stone is purchased from him gets the box. You buy one of those pieces, you apparently get the box.

So the creme brulee analogy doesn''t quite work. Now, if you bought your own ingredients and gave it to the chef to make vs the chef making it with all his own ingredients and it came out on two different plates (with the chef''s own ingredients getting the nicer plate), that would make more sense.

Okay, this is what is starting to make me crazy. If Irishbreakfast''s ring is considered "stock" and came with the "good" box and Rainydaze is considered "stock" but came with the "bad" box, what is the difference between the two? I must not be very bright.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah! TGal I knew you''d pick it apart! But I''m going to respectfully disagree AGAIN!!

What if you brought the p chef eggs, but he had to use the rest of his own ingredients?

Actually the best analogy would be for the customer to bring in the flavor, and have the p chef use his own ingredients for everything else. Say, vanilla bean, since it''s the most expensive ingredient in a normal creme brulee.

THEN, I think it works.

Still though...like IrishBreakfast''s ring-what about when it doesn''t have a center stone? Just the setting of a large center stone costs you a box. I am sure that CrookedRock''s ring had just as much pave/stones as Irish''s. I can see the difference, but I still don''t get it. I don''t think that it''s a significant enough difference to justify the box/no box. TO ME at least.

I''m with iluvcarats. Add on an extra $20 to people''s quotes. OR, at least put your name in the cheap boxes. What would that cost? Like 10 cents each?!

But I don''t think this is a cost thing. I think that''s the underlying issue at hand. The hidden cost of the box in with a center stone is apparently easier to work in than adding it to a pile of platinum and pave.

BLAH. Thinking about this is making me cranky.
38.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I think someone who''s getting some custom work done and gets a cheapo box, should take the box (or zip loc) back in to Leon, hand him a marker and ask him to sign it, so they have a box with his name in it. Maybe he''ll get the idea that that''s important to people. Although by the sounds of it I doubt he''d care.....

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 11:38:19 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I'm not an LM owner and probably shouldn't stick my nose into this thread, but I'm indifferent about boxes. I'm more interested in the contents than the packaging.
2.gif
The store where I got my Royal Asscher gave me a hideous box which I threw away. When I got my radiant from T & Co, I told them I didn't need a box for it. If I ever get anything from LM, he could put it in a paper bag for all I care, as long as I'm satisfied with the item.
This is an interesting thread! I kept seeing the title but didn't have time to read before, and only skimmed up to here. I'm somewhat in the same camp as MB, above; "I'm more interested in the contents than the packaging." It is sort of surprising that he used such cheap boxes, but I'm the type to switch boxes anyway. Like if I have a ring box from one jeweler that displays a ring from another source better than its original box, I'll switch them. If I were perfectly satisfied with the item, that definitely would make up for the ugliest box in the world. (Although if I wasn't satisfied, I might think, "PLUS it came in a cheesy box!") But I can't blame folks for wanting a nice box to come with such an expensive piece, plus it does often sound like there are 2 LMs out there, or as someone said, he's as moody as a pregnant woman. Never talked to him myself, but in the unlikely event that I ever do, I hope I catch him on a good day!
3.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
joflier! Excellent idea!

Then it''d just cost him some sharpies and a few seconds of his time.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 7:13:10 PM
36.gif
joflier! Excellent idea!

Then it''d just cost him some sharpies and a few seconds of his time.
Heck, we can even supply the darn sharpie!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 6:49:49 PM
Author: BizouMom

Okay, this is what is starting to make me crazy. If Irishbreakfast''s ring is considered ''stock'' and came with the ''good'' box and Rainydaze is considered ''stock'' but came with the ''bad'' box, what is the difference between the two? I must not be very bright.
BizouMom, that''s what''s been bugging me, too! Only, RainyDaze didn''t even get the CHEAPO box . . . she got a ZIPLOC BAGGIE!!!
23.gif
32.gif

So, if we''re correct in our determination that only Leon''s stock pieces get the fancy box, and only the custom pieces get the cheapo box, which pieces (in Leon''s opinion) are only "worthy" of a ziploc baggie?!?!
20.gif

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 8:15:13 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Okay, this is what is starting to make me crazy. If Irishbreakfast''s ring is considered ''stock'' and came with the ''good'' box and Rainydaze is considered ''stock'' but came with the ''bad'' box, what is the difference between the two? I must not be very bright.
BizouMom, that''s what''s been bugging me, too! Only, RainyDaze didn''t even get the CHEAPO box . . . she got a ZIPLOC BAGGIE!!!
23.gif
32.gif

So, if we''re correct in our determination that only Leon''s stock pieces get the fancy box, and only the custom pieces get the cheapo box, which pieces (in Leon''s opinion) are only ''worthy'' of a ziploc baggie?!?!
20.gif
I do know that, I just try to block it out!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 8:34:53 PM

23.gif
32.gif

So, if we''re correct in our determination that only Leon''s stock pieces get the fancy box, and only the custom pieces get the cheapo box, which pieces (in Leon''s opinion) are only ''worthy'' of a ziploc baggie?!?!
20.gif
OMG, I know what you mean!!! UGH!!!
38.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 9:19:05 PM

Date: 8/6/2008 8:34:53 PM

23.gif
32.gif

20.gif
OMG, I know what you mean!!! UGH!!!
38.gif
ziplop baggie????? That''s awful and disrespectful in my opinion.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
DO WE REALLY HAVE TO HAVE 8 PAGES AND SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T ACCEPT THAT

A BOX IS A BOX IS A BOX.

iT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING ABOUT LEON AS A JEWELER, AS AN ARTIST, OR AS A PERSON.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BOX.

SOME HAVE NICE ONES, SOME HAVE CHEAP ONES, SOME HAVE NO BOXES AT ALL. SOME DO NOT WANT ONE AND OTHERS WANT THE ONE SOMEONE ELSE GOT. SOME KEEP THEM FOREVER AND SOME THROW BOTH THE NICE ONES AND THE CHEAP ONES IN THE TRASH.

IT IS A BOX FOLKS, JUST A BOX.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually in some cases, it''s a baggie.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 2:32:46 AM
Actually in some cases, it's a baggie.
LMAO!!!
9.gif

although, freke, you should've used this
Whistle2.gif

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
I am seriously wondering if he just runs out of them so often that he sends in whatever he has....has anyone just asked the man?

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 3:09:23 AM
Author: arjunajane

LMAO!!!
9.gif

although, freke, you should''ve used this
Whistle2.gif
Hahaha, hilarious!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 1:44:31 AM
Author: Green with Envy
DO WE REALLY HAVE TO HAVE 8 PAGES AND SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN''T ACCEPT THAT

A BOX IS A BOX IS A BOX.

iT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING ABOUT LEON AS A JEWELER, AS AN ARTIST, OR AS A PERSON.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BOX.

SOME HAVE NICE ONES, SOME HAVE CHEAP ONES, SOME HAVE NO BOXES AT ALL. SOME DO NOT WANT ONE AND OTHERS WANT THE ONE SOMEONE ELSE GOT. SOME KEEP THEM FOREVER AND SOME THROW BOTH THE NICE ONES AND THE CHEAP ONES IN THE TRASH.

IT IS A BOX FOLKS, JUST A BOX.

It is a thread on the internet, just a thread. ''Internet yelling'' for an entire post? Are you that upset?

One would think the political threads would be the natural habitat of such outbursts of trademark internet rage, but apparently not.
5.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Really Green???
WOW! Talk about a temper-tantrum... LMAO

AND FYI... There were plenty of people who didn''t get "sick" of my thread, I seem to think you may be in the minority.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 5:43:59 AM
Author: Galateia

Date: 8/7/2008 1:44:31 AM

It is a thread on the internet, just a thread. ''Internet yelling'' for an entire post? Are you that upset?

One would think the political threads would be the natural habitat of such outbursts of trademark internet rage, but apparently not.
5.gif
Yeah seriously - I was gonna post what I said earlier, its not about the actual box etc etc - but Green if it gets to you so much please just read a different thread.
We have all heard your opinion on the topic, and it is no more or less valid than anyone else''s here.

peace,
AJ
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
28.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke!!!!!! LOL!
9.gif

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I did not put much thought that my caps lock was on, but I am amused to think that maybe now I must be as rude and mean and arrogant as some think of Leon... since I supposedly yelled at everyone.
11.gif

I was going for a more calm, stern and assertive voice. Like when God called down to Moses and gave him the 10 commandments. I think if god were posting on a thread he would use capital letters, with periods. No exclamation points. I thought yelling was putting exclamation marks all over the place. The intent was not to yell... my bad.

Oh how easy to digress.

For the record... I did not get a box.
2.gif

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
Granted I have never talked to the man, nor have I received anything from him, but I have heard story after story about him...he seems to be the art-eest type. Is there anyway he is a little unorganized with the whole box thing and he maybe gets some nice ones and thinks he is going to use those and then runs out of them...and then runs out of the cheap ones...(baggie time.) I am in sales though and I can see how he should maybe get a good box for everyone. I mean how expensive could they actually be? I am all about image...don''t get me started about the James Allen video clip on the first page (CHILLS.)

If someone has a good relationship with Leon, maybe they should point it out. It may not have even crossed his mind that he is offending some people. He should also be told that it sort of says "hey I have some work that is not really worth a presentation box and some that is." One nice box for everyone would say "hey a Leon is a Leon and I put all the care an effort into every piece I make."

Boxes can be important marketing. When you go in Tiffany and CO. whether you are buying a $150 silver bracelet or a $50,000.00 ring, you get the same attention and gift wrap with the blue box. Darn the blue box, but your heart does skip a beat when you see the darn thing!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 4:43:35 PM
Author: Futuremrss
Granted I have never talked to the man, nor have I received anything from him, but I have heard story after story about him...he seems to be the art-eest type. Is there anyway he is a little unorganized with the whole box thing and he maybe gets some nice ones and thinks he is going to use those and then runs out of them...and then runs out of the cheap ones...(baggie time.) I am in sales though and I can see how he should maybe get a good box for everyone. I mean how expensive could they actually be? I am all about image...don''t get me started about the James Allen video clip on the first page (CHILLS.)

If someone has a good relationship with Leon, maybe they should point it out. It may not have even crossed his mind that he is offending some people. He should also be told that it sort of says ''hey I have some work that is not really worth a presentation box and some that is.'' One nice box for everyone would say ''hey a Leon is a Leon and I put all the care an effort into every piece I make.''

Boxes can be important marketing. When you go in Tiffany and CO. whether you are buying a $150 silver bracelet or a $50,000.00 ring, you get the same attention and gift wrap with the blue box. Darn the blue box, but your heart does skip a beat when you see the darn thing!!
Hear, hear!!!

Now I''m going to go check out the James Allen video.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 4:03:57 PM
Actually I did not put much thought that my caps lock was on, but I am amused to think that maybe now I must be as rude and mean and arrogant as some think of Leon... since I supposedly yelled at everyone.
11.gif

I was going for a more calm, stern and assertive voice. Like when God called down to Moses and gave him the 10 commandments. I think if god were posting on a thread he would use capital letters, with periods. No exclamation points. I thought yelling was putting exclamation marks all over the place. The intent was not to yell... my bad.

Oh how easy to digress.

For the record... I did not get a box.
2.gif
LMFAO!
That is just hilarious, thanks, I needed that giggle
26.gif
Darn internet confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results