shape
carat
color
clarity

Las Vegas shooting

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the CBS legal consultant-Haley something to be outrageous as well. First of all, the sentiment is pure evil on her part as well. This is not a problem of party. To wish suffering on any group of people is just flat wrong. No one deserves that. To say that country music fans are mostly gun toting republicans and deserve what they get is hateful. She was fired. I don't know how she thought it was going to turn out for her.

Generally, fire and police departments are democratic supporters and there was a huge numbers for fire and police at the concert.

And also people from all around the world who love country music...They aren't republican voters.

I'd like to see a statistic that country music fans are republican voters. I would go to a country music festival and I voted for Clinton.

I listen mostly to XM the Highway

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh, I guess I'm disgusting then because I had similar sentiments. I don't limit it to feeling unsympathetic toward republican country music fans though, I am unsympathetic toward all of us Americans, period. After the Sandy Hook massacre did nothing to persuade us to change our ways I became resigned to the fact that death by mass murder is something that we have chosen to accept here. On average, 90 people are killed by the use of guns each day in the U.S. Today it's about 150. I'm confident that tomorrow we'll go back to our normal 90 and in the next few weeks we'll go back to talking about something else and not worrying about it for a while.

No one deserves something like this whether you agree with them politically or not. It was horrific of her to say and she was rightly fired. The rest of your post is understandable anger at an evil act.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea how they voted and I could not care less. You have missed my point entirely. Forget the voter affiliation or music genre. Read the part where I am unsympathetic toward ALL of us Americans and why.

You made a point in your post to conflate country music fans to republicans

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea how they voted and I could not care less. You have missed my point entirely. Forget the voter affiliation or music genre. Read the part where I am unsympathetic toward ALL of us Americans and why.

edited to add: I don't give a rat's a*s about the CBS consultant either. What she says or whether or not she's employed changes nothing. It's just a lot of noise and distraction about a problem with no solution.

This was your first sentence in response to my post. If you meant something different then it is a misunderstanding.

Meh, I guess I'm disgusting then because I had similar sentiments.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No one deserves something like this whether you agree with them politically or not. It was horrific of her to say and she was rightly fired. The rest of your post is understandable anger at an evil act.

I'm not angry red, I am numb to it and have been ever since Sandy Hook. That's the last time I cried about these things. Then I found out that gun sales went UP in that area and I honestly don't care anymore.

I certainly don't feel that the victims deserved to die. I am just not that worked up about it. What's the point?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was your first sentence in response to my post. If you meant something different then it is a misunderstanding.

Meh, I guess I'm disgusting then because I had similar sentiments.

I thought I was replying to whitewave when I said that my point was missed.

To clarify: When I read about the CBS consultant saying something about not feeling sympathetic toward these victims because, being country music fans, they must all be gun toting republicans, I realized that I don't really feel much myself. Not because of the genre of music these people liked, or how they may or may not have voted, but because they are, like me, Americans. We Americans deserve what we get. We allow this to go on. We have ourselves to blame.

If feeling this way makes me disgusting, I own it.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not angry red, I am numb to it and have been ever since Sandy Hook. That's the last time I cried about these things. Then I found out that gun sales went UP in that area and I honestly don't care anymore.

I certainly don't feel that the victims deserved to die. I am just not that worked up about it. What's the point?
Thank you for clarifying because I was surprised and hoping I was misunderstanding you. I get being numb though when you feel helpless to change something so awful.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone name a case where the terrorist group claimed responsibility and they were lying?

I agree with a former Chicago police chief interviewed (can't remember his name): it is too soon to dismiss this aspect of the story.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say about the former CBS employee, that kind of hatred and disregard for others with different views is part of the reason we keep having some of these incidents. I was very encouraged that CBS was swift in their response.

Whitewave, I did hear on the news today an example of ISIS claiming responsibility for something that wasn't true when they were talking about that topic. I really would not rule out anything at this point, either. There's just no telling. This one is more of a mystery than most others have been.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
You made a point in your post to conflate country music fans to republicans

@whitewave, @Maria D was responding to @redwood66 ‘s post which had a link to an article about the CBS exec who tweeted about her lack of sympathy for ‘gun-toting republican country music lovers’. @Maria D was merely referencing that CBS exec’s post and building on it (i.e. no sympathy for all Americans, not only ‘gun-toting Republican country music lovers’).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many millions did the NRA donate to Trumps campaign? How can you not place some blame on the republicans? They are the ones who constantly oppose any type of gun control.

One of his weapons fired 600 rounds per minute. Yeah, keep saying this isn't a gun problem SMDH. Our country is insane.

Last edited:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
How many millions did the NRA donate to Trumps campaign? How can you not place some blame on the republicans? They are the ones who constantly oppose any type of gun control.

One of his weapons fired 600 rounds per minute. Yeah, keep saying this isn't a gun problem SMDH. Our country is insane.

Unfortunately there are Democrats in the NRA’s pockets as well.

Considering how many Americans die from gun violence, we should look at this as a security issue and not just a second amendment issue. We’re willing to build a wall and bar a whole group of people from coming in to the country in the name of security, while we continue to kill each other. I’m with @Maria D

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday when I woke up the death toll was reported at 2 with 50 injured. A lot changed over the course of the day. There were only 15 months between this and Orlando (49 deaths). I figured there would be more time, but they seem to be getting more frequent and more deadly. It makes the Columbine incident that shook my world and shaped my opinion look like child's play. Oh wait, that was child's play.

While I'm sorry to hear that this happened, I'm not shocked and I'm not surprised. To quote our news, "59 people are known to have died this most recent attack. And in other major news..." I used to think it shocking that British media didn't report the shootings in the same way I came to expect growing up the US. Then I realised they couldn't, they are too frequent and frankly I'm numb to them now as well. We don't discuss them in our house or with my other ex-pat friends other than a casual did you hear. Another day, another attack and no solutions forthcoming, only gun stocks increasing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me say that first I think we have some awesome women (and men) on this board. Agreement or no, I respect your POV and perspective.

Then let me say I think the discussion here has went well. Yes I think it can get a little hot because this is a hot topic, but I'm glad to see good dialog which did not devolve into a locked thread even though we don't all agree with each other.

Back to the news, He used a bump stock. Frankly those things should be illegal. Yes I said ILLEGAL. I have never agreed with the sale or use of them. Even most gun clubs don't allow them on their premises.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel the same way. It seems there are mass shootings every DAY in this country. If nothing was changed after Sandy Hook, it will never be. And getting worked up about it just gets me dumbass responses like "ain't no libtards gunna get muh guns!" It sucks. And I'm talking about people I KNOW- those are the ones offering "thoughts and prayers." It will never affect them until it's one of their kids gets shot. It's just the way it is. I'm DONE. I can't try to reason with people like that any more. :wall::wall::wall:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the same way. It seems there are mass shootings every DAY in this country. If nothing was changed after Sandy Hook, it will never be. And getting worked up about it just gets me dumbass responses like "ain't no libtards gunna get muh guns!" It sucks. And I'm talking about people I KNOW- those are the ones offering "thoughts and prayers." It will never affect them until it's one of their kids gets shot. It's just the way it is. I'm DONE. I can't try to reason with people like that any more. :wall::wall::wall:

That is how it is now. Neither side can talk to the other because each side is done talking.

Those of us in the middle are stuck too...

I have no idea where it goes from here.

I'm thinking, can we do ONE thing at least? ONE thing banned? Try something?

I don't know if it would have stopped this guy, though. We will have to wait and see if they can find a motive.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/w...servatives-and-country-musics-complex-history

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/this_chart_shows_which_music_democrats_and_republicans_like

And also people from all around the world who love country music...They aren't republican voters.

I think songs that are patriotic tend to pull the right. I always wonder why is there a country music station in Maine (several of them). Maine is New England.

I'd like to see a statistic that country music fans are republican voters. I would go to a country music festival and I voted for Clinton.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird, I never wrote the part that is attributed to me in the above quote about Maine and patriotic songs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is my quote.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my quote.

I think Tekate may have written that part because she is from Maine. Quoting can be confusing at times.

I converse with a few people from Maine and they all say outside of Portland and south that Maine is pretty conservative. At least that is what they say. That is true in plenty of states though.

I don't equate music genres to political parties though, there are plenty of all kinds that I like on that graph in the altnews link. If politicians do it it's because they think it will help them with particular voters. They all do that.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, you are a lovely lady, I am sorry that my posts are sometimes screwed up and hard to understand I gotta do better as my Irish mom would say.

I answered your question with some pointers, I do so apologize! I appreciate your POV. I can say I stand firmly with a person allowed a gun, but I do not stand firmly with any rapid type. :) all our mileages vary on this serious topic.

Weird, I never wrote the part that is attributed to me in the above quote about Maine and patriotic songs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah! Got it. I have done ambien postings before, lol, so I wondered for a minute since I was hopped up on cold meds last night, if I added more than I remember :mrgreen2: (got off ambien a few years ago btw)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about this for a bit. Maybe those with more psychology based training can lend some insight. This is a horrific act and just look at all the nonstop coverage on all news channels. Imagine you are a distraught and angry person with nothing to live for seeing all of this attention paid to a single individual. Not saying that it should not be covered but if you are on the edge of a razor and need one little push just look how famous (in their mind) you will be on your way out. This could be said for other terrible attacks as well. Do we need all of this 24/7? I know because of the internet the stuff is out there anyway but constant TV as well. I can turn the TV off but those in that place? I don't have an answer for my question. Your thoughts?

Edit - I want to hear the good stories of the heroic people and the stories of the victims, and I want to be able to cry for them so this is why I am conflicted about the coverage.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is going to change, and the timer has already started the countdown on the next major massacre. Things that have worked for other countries required mass acceptance and that will never happen in the US. I avoid going to the US at all costs. It's just getting worse. I would hate to live there. It seems like (the impression outsiders get anyway), that it's every man for himself, and be damned to anything or anyone else. Extreme simplification, but this is what we think on the outside looking in.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about this for a bit. Maybe those with more psychology based training can lend some insight. This is a horrific act and just look at all the nonstop coverage on all news channels. Imagine you are a distraught and angry person with nothing to live for seeing all of this attention paid to a single individual. Not saying that it should not be covered but if you are on the edge of a razor and need one little push just look how famous (in their mind) you will be on your way out. This could be said for other terrible attacks as well. Do we need all of this 24/7? I know because of the internet the stuff is out there anyway but constant TV as well. I can turn the TV off but those in that place? I don't have an answer for my question. Your thoughts?

Edit - I want to hear the good stories of the heroic people and the stories of the victims, and I want to be able to cry for them so this is why I am conflicted about the coverage.

I actually said the same thing to my husband that the gunman was unfortunately incredibly successful at killing and injuring so many people all the media coverage/attention probably isn't a great thing because how many more wackos out there will it inspire.

There were people lined up outside the hospital giving blood, people on the ground that didn't know those that were shot that helped carry them out of there, we should celebrate them, the good people, not the monster that did this.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah but the Mr. Rogers thing came across my facebook page again and I'm so done with that too-- like thoughts and prayers.

Yes, glad and happy there are helpers and people doing thr right thing,

But at this point it is platitude...

What the hell is going on?!?!?!?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is going to change, and the timer has already started the countdown on the next major massacre. Things that have worked for other countries required mass acceptance and that will never happen in the US. I avoid going to the US at all costs. It's just getting worse. I would hate to live there. It seems like (the impression outsiders get anyway), that it's every man for himself, and be damned to anything or anyone else. Extreme simplification, but this is what we think on the outside looking in.

Well, it seems we can't live anywhere. Closer to home, I am sure you are aware of this attack....in my "hometown" . I am IN looking IN.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/terrorism-charges-edmonton-attacks-1.4316450

Sharon

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha, when I read Tekate's quoting of Whitewave I thought, gee how did miss that Whitewave was from Maine? OK, so Tekate's from Maine; me too!

I know lots of people here that like country music. I have one quite liberal friend that not only enjoys playing country music with his (amateur) band, he hosts a barn party every year where we all dress up with cowboy hats and boots and have a good time. I happen to like heavy metal (among other genres) myself, yet I don't have a single tattoo. I even like some of Kid Rock's old stuff, despite his politics and misogynist lyrics.

Most of my neighbors are republicans. Many hunt and own rifles. They may also own other types of guns but haven't mentioned it to me. I got into a heated discussion with my dentist last month over whether semi-automatic weapons should be legal. (The reason it was heated was because I couldn't speak when I wanted to make a point as I had sharp utensils in my mouth. So I fumed in between the moments I could speak my mind.) It was through this conversation that I learned that my dentist collects all kinds of guns and has over 100. I left the appointment angry but later calmed down feeling that we might have been able to have a reasonable discussion under different circumstances (me not in a dentist chair having a filling replaced), and that other than that conversation I have found him to be pleasant and professional.

Yesterday I decided to switch dental practices. It's a very very small thing that I realize won't make any difference but at least I will no longer be indirectly contributing to his stockpile of weapons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results